What's new

General/Other I don't understand shazam at all!

Nutrient

Lex Flex
Wayyyy too early to call Shazam shite

Deathstroke is top tier because nobody knows how to deal with him

Sure, he's actually got crazy dirt, give it time

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Why is the input for shazams standing command grab so difficult? I don't understand why its dbf 1 instead of.. df1

The current input is so alien to me and I cannot do it consistently. Currently df1 does nothing on shazam so I don't see why they didnt make his standing grab that input. Is it because that would have been too easy?
It took me a couple days to get it now its not a problem. The timing of canceling into it from other moves takes some practice too. I'm glad its hard though, scrubs be gone, stay away from shazam. Also, be thankful its not a 360 motion. Difficulty of inputs goes down with time and practice and eventually you won't even think about the input for it, it will just be second nature.

DreadzTsung

"Darkness is the heart's true essence"
Why is the input for shazams standing command grab so difficult? I don't understand why its dbf 1 instead of.. df1

The current input is so alien to me and I cannot do it consistently. Currently df1 does nothing on shazam so I don't see why they didnt make his standing grab that input. Is it because that would have been too easy?
I'm not sure. What I do is I pace myself when doing it. I usually don't do a standing dbf1 because if you miss it leaves your opponent advantaged. Try doing 22 dbf1. As soon ass you do 22 go into the dbf1. When you do that you've stalled your opponent and force them to block giving you enough time to pace yourself doing the dbf1. Pace your self as in taking your time with it. I use to rush doing his dbf1 to but patience with your inputs is key in this game especially with a grappler like shazam. You dont want to rush in like the flash with your shazam combo. But you don't want to let them kick your ass either. Therefore try 22 to stall them. Or f22 or f223 db1. Like I said we can do practice mode and if oh have a mic. We can do that too or text chat. Remember if you do a combo strain before dbf1 thy cant block it. I don't think. Unless they meter burn b3 or f3. But then again I still don't think they can. If they can no one really wants to waste that meter burning anyway. Unless its doomsday so they can armor his specials and punish.

I'm not sure. What I do is I pace myself when doing it. I usually don't do a standing dbf1 because if you miss it leaves your opponent advantaged. Try doing 22 dbf1. As soon ass you do 22 go into the dbf1. When you do that you've stalled your opponent and force them to block giving you enough time to pace yourself doing the dbf1. Pace your self as in taking your time with it. I use to rush doing his dbf1 to but patience with your inputs is key in this game especially with a grappler like shazam. You dont want to rush in like the flash with your shazam combo. But you don't want to let them kick your ass either. Therefore try 22 to stall them. Or f22 or f223 db1. Like I said we can do practice mode and if oh have a mic. We can do that too or text chat. Remember if you do a combo strain before dbf1 thy cant block it. I don't think. Unless they meter burn b3 or f3. But then again I still don't think they can. If they can no one really wants to waste that meter burning anyway. Unless its doomsday so they can armor his specials and punish.
I am on 360, not psn :(

Okay, the one thing I don't understand about shazam is.. HOW do I penetrate a zoners.. zone? I have so many problems with people just spamming projectiles at me. Especially superman. its such hell getting close to him and then when I do get close he just uses his ultimate move. He builds meter so fast.. One time today a superman performed his ultimate move 3 times in the same round.. I was blocking a lot projectiles and he was still building meter quickly.

DreadzTsung

Okay, the one thing I don't understand about shazam is.. HOW do I penetrate a zoners.. zone? I have so many problems with people just spamming projectiles at me. Especially superman. its such hell getting close to him and then when I do get close he just uses his ultimate move. He builds meter so fast.. One time today a superman performed his ultimate move 3 times in the same round.. I was blocking a lot projectiles and he was still building meter quickly.
It's so easy!!! OMG I wish you were on ps3. Someone show him on XBL.

It's so easy!!! OMG I wish you were on ps3. Someone show him on XBL.
how do you do you do it? I just don't understand if I am suppose to walk up to them or dash? I am afraid to dash when fighting death stroke or superman because I may dash into a laser or heavy laser. Also, when I do get in close and start knocking them down and such.. what do I do? Like I feel at a loss when I knock someone down because I don't know what to do to them when they are getting up.

DreadzTsung

how do you do you do it? I just don't understand if I am suppose to walk up to them or dash? I am afraid to dash when fighting death stroke or superman because I may dash into a laser or heavy laser. Also, when I do get in close and start knocking them down and such.. what do I do? Like I feel at a loss when I knock someone down because I don't know what to do to them when they are getting up.
With shazam you can teleport in on superman. Just time it. Do it right before his laser beam coma out.

With deathstroke here is a post reo made:

Deathstroke's zoning was designed in burst fashion to counter armor and force your opponent to get in manually. Since Deathstroke does not follow the rule of common single-fireball zoning, there are some tactics you can add to your game.

Best tips to deal with his zoning are:

- Ducking Low
By ducking low you avoid his instant air gun shots and standing gun shots. This means you strip his options into use low gun shots and assault rifle. Meter burn standing gun shots fire six bullets which do more chip on block. Crouching low gun shots fire four bullets which do less chip. Keep in mind if he decides to meter burn his assault rifle, it will fire a grenade that is an overhead and the end. You can see this on reaction and block standing.

- Staying on the ground more than the air
If Deathstroke's guns hit you while you are airborne, they will knock you further away from him. This can open up accidental teching which is what you do not want to do because it will put you even further away from him (important to remember this). It can also be very difficult to avoid streams of bullets while you are in the air. There is a very good chance you will be clipped and knocked away.

- Avoid trying to armor through
Since Deathstroke's projectiles are rapid fire shots that rip through armor (including most supers), it is a bad idea. Wasting meter on armor to try and bulldog your way in is what Deathstroke wants. Instead save your meter for other areas that you will need for when you do get in.

- Work your way in
You can work your way in on Deathstoke with proper movement. Unlike other high profile zoners (Cyborg, GL), Deathstroke's zoning does NOT push you back on block. This means you can crouch block gun shots and then inch your way in. Some characters with good dashes can even block gun shots, and then get a free dash in to cover more ground. Patience is a big key in this match and it plays an important role. Be aware of him randomly meter burning his gun shots if he sees you trying to mash forward dash while blocking, this may catch you by surprise so keep an eye on his meter.

- Dealing with Character Power (Unblockable Bullets)
You should always be on your toes trying to make sure Deathstroke can not go into his character power at ease. By constantly moving forward and staying on his tail, there is a very good chance he won't be able to use it with no consequence. His character power has a lot of start-up so many characters can punish him mid-screen, some even full-screen. If he does get it out, it's better to jump in the air and take minimal damage by taking air gun shots or being clipped by ground fire. Staying on the ground when he has his character power active is bad because he can easily drain 40% of your health.

I hope this helps some of you out there deal with his zoning better. There are some characters that can even outzone Deathstroke as well.

Sent from my mobile

With shazam you can teleport in on superman. Just time it. Do it right before his laser beam coma out.

With deathstroke here is a post reo made:

Deathstroke's zoning was designed in burst fashion to counter armor and force your opponent to get in manually. Since Deathstroke does not follow the rule of common single-fireball zoning, there are some tactics you can add to your game.

Best tips to deal with his zoning are:

- Ducking Low
By ducking low you avoid his instant air gun shots and standing gun shots. This means you strip his options into use low gun shots and assault rifle. Meter burn standing gun shots fire six bullets which do more chip on block. Crouching low gun shots fire four bullets which do less chip. Keep in mind if he decides to meter burn his assault rifle, it will fire a grenade that is an overhead and the end. You can see this on reaction and block standing.

- Staying on the ground more than the air
If Deathstroke's guns hit you while you are airborne, they will knock you further away from him. This can open up accidental teching which is what you do not want to do because it will put you even further away from him (important to remember this). It can also be very difficult to avoid streams of bullets while you are in the air. There is a very good chance you will be clipped and knocked away.

- Avoid trying to armor through
Since Deathstroke's projectiles are rapid fire shots that rip through armor (including most supers), it is a bad idea. Wasting meter on armor to try and bulldog your way in is what Deathstroke wants. Instead save your meter for other areas that you will need for when you do get in.

- Work your way in
You can work your way in on Deathstoke with proper movement. Unlike other high profile zoners (Cyborg, GL), Deathstroke's zoning does NOT push you back on block. This means you can crouch block gun shots and then inch your way in. Some characters with good dashes can even block gun shots, and then get a free dash in to cover more ground. Patience is a big key in this match and it plays an important role. Be aware of him randomly meter burning his gun shots if he sees you trying to mash forward dash while blocking, this may catch you by surprise so keep an eye on his meter.

- Dealing with Character Power (Unblockable Bullets)
You should always be on your toes trying to make sure Deathstroke can not go into his character power at ease. By constantly moving forward and staying on his tail, there is a very good chance he won't be able to use it with no consequence. His character power has a lot of start-up so many characters can punish him mid-screen, some even full-screen. If he does get it out, it's better to jump in the air and take minimal damage by taking air gun shots or being clipped by ground fire. Staying on the ground when he has his character power active is bad because he can easily drain 40% of your health.

I hope this helps some of you out there deal with his zoning better. There are some characters that can even outzone Deathstroke as well.

Sent from my mobile
thanks it does help. I appreciate it.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
People love duck blocking in this game Shazam has a unblock able low grab that can be combed playing King in TTT2 I appreciate the power off this move, and I'm betting Shazam will get the same faith of Jax those who where on TYM on the early MK9 Days will know what I'm saying

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!

It is not a big problem. When you do the 22 string canceled into dbf1 , input 22d then cancel into bf1. I hade a hard time too, but now ....boy hes is so good.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
LMFAO if you think shazam sucks, you literally must know nothing about him or the game at all
Question: If after you block 22 you duck not blocking, will his comand grab(dbf1) still catch you? If they are still crouch blocking , catches them, but neutral blocking didn't try.

I noticed a lot of people saying they were having trouble with the command grab input. Its the same motion as Banes right? dbf1 for Shazam I think. I haven't checked but I would think it could be buffered the same way I do with Bane.

Treat it as two separate inputs. The db and the f1. I know Banes is very generous with how long you can space these inputs out. I would imagine Shazams is too.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

DreadzTsung

LMFAO if you think shazam sucks, you literally must know nothing about him or the game at all
No he doesn't suck. Ican combo with his grapples and everything. But I can't seem to get over 40% damage in his combos. However he does seem low tier. Any tricks tho. Should I use his character power more? I know his trait is for his hands but damn. Lol he seems kinda weak. All those inputs in his combos for like 35% damage. xD

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
No he doesn't suck. Ican combo with his grapples and everything. But I can't seem to get over 40% damage in his combos. However he does seem low tier. Any tricks tho. Should I use his character power more? I know his trait is for his hands but damn. Lol he seems kinda weak. All those inputs in his combos for like 35% damage. xD
His combos are weak for the very reason of his gimmick. Hes not kano, he has the tools to get in and destroy people. His command grab has MAD range alone so that can really fuck with people. When you do combos to, dont finish them with torpedo, do advance mercury so you can be on top of them. This gives you literally a plethora of options.

Bait wake up
NJ2 for and ambiguous crossup
Throw out f1,2

Hes not low tier, we need to just level up

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
check my thread on keeping shazam close...he is fucking amazing. the pressure he has once hes in is so good, you can pretty much end every combo so you are still in the "throw zone"

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Ugh its not all about the damage in a single combo. Would you call Cage or Jax low damage characters??? NO because they have good footsies, great setups and major corner damage. Shazam doesn't need to get 40% in a single pop because he gets damage from his setups and mixups and oki. Once people start respecting your options you will get more chip damage and more throw options, but you have to play well and know what you are doing to run his offence. Shazam has all of the choices in the world after a knockdown, its the knockdown and where you leave them that is important NOT GETTING 40% plus damage every time. Save your meter for more setups rather than spending it all each time you land a hit trying to get up to 40% plus.

People who are saying Shazam is weak or low tier don't understand how to play him yet. Its the player who is weak in these cases not Shazam, Shazam is fine. I don't mean to sound harsh but people need to not blame the character when they should be looking at how they play the character instead. If your Shazam is low tier then learn stuff and play him better or move on. No need for tiers at this point what so ever. Learn stuff, level up, play the character if you want, don't play him if he doesn't suit you, but placing him low/high/whatever is useless.

Ugh its not all about the damage in a single combo. Would you call Cage or Jax low damage characters??? NO because they have good footsies, great setups and major corner damage. Shazam doesn't need to get 40% in a single pop because he gets damage from his setups and mixups and oki. Once people start respecting your options you will get more chip damage and more throw options, but you have to play well and know what you are doing to run his offence. Shazam has all of the choices in the world after a knockdown, its the knockdown and where you leave them that is important NOT GETTING 40% plus damage every time. Save your meter for more setups rather than spending it all each time you land a hit trying to get up to 40% plus.

People who are saying Shazam is weak or low tier don't understand how to play him yet. Its the player who is weak in these cases not Shazam, Shazam is fine. I don't mean to sound harsh but people need to not blame the character when they should be looking at how they play the character instead. If your Shazam is low tier then learn stuff and play him better or move on. No need for tiers at this point what so ever. Learn stuff, level up, play the character if you want, don't play him if he doesn't suit you, but placing him low/high/whatever is useless.
Well after I knock down an opponent I try to stay on them but they just roll backwards and it puts significant space between us. Also, can you roll backwards AND do a wake up attack?

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
yes you can
Well after I knock down an opponent I try to stay on them but they just roll backwards and it puts significant space between us. Also, can you roll backwards AND do a wake up attack?
yes you can. they can only tech roll if you DONT end the combo with either Herculean Might or Achilles' Clutch. If you end a combo with 112 xx teleport,they can tech roll, just do b2, when going for b2 either risk going for the throw(you could hit) or teleport toward and end up behind them, right in range of Herculean Might.

Still unsure if b2 xx teleport towards is safe, but its something they wont expect, probably safer than b2 itself. i think its outside most characters footsie range too. perfect range for another herculean might.