What's new

General/Other I don't understand shazam at all!

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
No he doesn't suck. Ican combo with his grapples and everything. But I can't seem to get over 40% damage in his combos. However he does seem low tier. Any tricks tho. Should I use his character power more? I know his trait is for his hands but damn. Lol he seems kinda weak. All those inputs in his combos for like 35% damage. xD
I will give you an example: J2,22~dbf1 MB, b2, J3, 22~df3(forward teleport). You get around 32% damage and you are next to him when you opponent wakes up. You can block and bait wake up, you can NJ2 or go strait for 22~dbf1(reset). Even if they block 22, the dbf1 is unblockable . I think the only way out is after you block 22 to crouch and let go of the block. But then you can do the low grab instead(db1) and repeat the same situation. In good hands Shazam is a monster. Specially against some one with unsafe wake up. I started using his teleport as combo ender to keep the pressure. I feel him a bit like Raiden and Smoke from MK. His jump in arcs are very good too.

DreadzTsung

"Darkness is the heart's true essence"
I will give you an example: J2,22~dbf1 MB, b2, J3, 22~df3(forward teleport). You get around 32% damage and you are next to him when you opponent wakes up. You can block and bait wake up, you can NJ2 or go strait for 22~dbf1(reset). Even if they block 22, the dbf1 is unblockable . I think the only way out is after you block 22 to crouch and let go of the block. But then you can do the low grab instead(db1) and repeat the same situation. In good hands Shazam is a monster. Specially against some one with unsafe wake up. I started using his teleport as combo ender to keep the pressure. I feel him a bit like Raiden and Smoke from MK. His jump in arcs are very good too.
I do the same with teleport. Use it as combo ender. But shazam has reset? I guess it woul be reset if he goes back into 22 dbf1. Right?

BlackBryan

B*tch Distributor
Anybody who doesn't realize playing Shazam is exactly like playing Kano never dealt with playing Kano.

That being said, I love Shazam. But he is indeed free.

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
getting achilles' clutch is the key to more damage. j2, f223, 2 xx achilles clutch MB, then 112 df3, or after the AC MB do 2 xx achilles clutch then follow up with herculean might, if they dont wake up its close to 48% i think

Redk9

Noob
I guess some people in this thread are new to fighting games. The only situation in which shazam has "dirty shit" is when the opponent is put in an untechable knockdown, and they have to eat a throw, or do a wake up and possibly get punished. But no 22 into dbf1 is not any incredible tech. Its strengths, and weakness's are explained in the guide(which a lot of you should read since the "tech" you discovered is already explained"). A 50/50 situation where you must meter burn to do a lot of damage, and if the opponent guesses right they do a lot of damage not requiring meter is not good.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I guess some people in this thread are new to fighting games. The only situation in which shazam has "dirty shit"
Lol. The assumption is amazing. So Konqrr is new to fighting games? I look forward to a better time when people that aren't serious about playing this character are on to different things.

Redk9

Noob
Lol. The assumption is amazing. So Konqrr is new to fighting games? I look forward to a better time when people that aren't serious about playing this character are on to different things.
Did you not just assume im not serious about playing the character? Just because I understand that shazam is not that great of a character doesn't mean I won't play him. I understand you are all hype decked out in your shazam icon, and sig, but lets keep our comments relevant to finding tech for the much needed character forum were in. I was actually wrong 22 into dbf1 is actually not a 50/50. Its a 33.3/33.3/33.3. The character can stand block, crouch, or backdash.

JavierDavila

ALWAYS an uphill battle...
I still have a hell of a time trying to "get in" with Shazam. Since you can't dash cancel here, how the hell do you get in? I was trying doing a down 1 after dashing in, but my opponents simply back dashes and then they are out of range again, any help? Johnny2d

Johnny2d

I still have a hell of a time trying to "get in" with Shazam. Since you can't dash cancel here, how the hell do you get in? I was trying doing a down 1 after dashing in, but my opponents simply back dashes and then they are out of range again, any help? Johnny2d
Getting in is going to be hard for Shazam in a lot of matchups. Being patient and just walking forward is going to be important, and knowing the right distance for b2 to hit, and for d3 to hit. This, and know your opponents range of dash and special so you can operate in footsies distance and get them when they try to get in on you. Out of all the things said, I do agree that getting in with Shazam is hard, and teleport and torpedo will be scouted and punished at high level and even low levels of play. Getting in will come down to your understanding of the entire game, as well as your opponent's tendencies, so yeah... tough.

I am so sick of projectiles in this game. Its so hard to react to many of them. Especially bullet based projectiles which move so quickly and knock you out of the air anyway. People just play keep away the whole game. They don't care if they chip you down to nothing. I get in close then they just jump over me and start speed dashing backwards. Also, what are shazams anti air options? I feel like when people jump in on me I have no answers.

Redk9

Noob
I am so sick of projectiles in this game. Its so hard to react to many of them. Especially bullet based projectiles which move so quickly and knock you out of the air anyway. People just play keep away the whole game. They don't care if they chip you down to nothing. I get in close then they just jump over me and start speed dashing backwards. Also, what are shazams anti air options? I feel like when people jump in on me I have no answers.
d2 or a preemptive j2

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Dude for AA's if its killing you that much just Back or forward dash in all honesty

Johnny2d

I like to back dash out of the way then whiff punish with b2 or d3. Try to stay out of jump distance unless you get the knockdown, then you can f3 mb, d3, high or low throw, cross over 2, or jump in 3, but the idea here is that the only time I'm in jump distance is when its to my advantage to be at jump distance. Make them fight you on foot otherwise.

Don't forget this too: BLOCK. Watch Tom Brady vs Reo at Civil War. The reason Tom did so well was because he held off Reo's attacks patiently and took the right risks when he had opportunities. People struggling with anti airs right now might find that blocking correctly and getting out of the way will take 'silly jump ins' off the menu. You don't always have to be pressing buttons, let them make the mistake.

I feel so limited when I play shazam. Like batman and superman are doing things to me that I could never even hope to do to them as shazam. Like batmans combos have a bit of range to them and I feel like I whiff a lot on my combos by just a little bit I miss most of the time.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
*sigh*

Captain Marvel yells out "Shazam". It's not his name. Not even close. His name is not Shazam so no, they didn't do what they are supposed do.