What's new

I believe Liu Kang actually goes 5 5 with kabal/ is the answer for that burnt madman.

if liu kang gets knocked down he should be in a tough situation. Also when it comes to kabal there are styles that go good with a matchup and bad, because kabal has so many options there is multiple ways to play him. so I think there are kabals that can go 5-5 with liu kang and some styles will beat liu kan 6-4.

also didn't cd jr beat xblades the best liu kang player at evo pretty easily?

if liu kang gets knocked down he should be in a tough situation. Also when it comes to kabal there are styles that go good with a matchup and bad, because kabal has so many options there is multiple ways to play him. so I think there are kabals that can go 5-5 with liu kang and some styles will beat liu kan 6-4.

also didn't cd jr beat xblades the best liu kang player at evo pretty easily?
i have it just 5 5 no matter what style the kabal brings, bcuz the liu player can bring different styles as well. I need denzell to upload my match vs PL and also someone hopefully recorded my match vs cat. Still, I need to go up against reo and beat him in a set in tournament, or a ft5/ ft10 set.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
SoCal warned you guys about Liu Kang...and now The Kang is spreading to Vegas to fill the void left by Xblades.

WE COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS. WE COULD HAVE CHOSEN TO LIVE.

....Liu kang is so underrated. Look at Xblades guide on advanced techniques and you'll be like WE WERE WARNED. OH GOD WHY DIDN'T WE LISTEN

SoCal warned you guys about Liu Kang...and now The Kang is spreading to Vegas to fill the void left by Xblades.

WE COULD HAVE PREVENTED THIS. WE COULD HAVE CHOSEN TO LIVE.

....Liu kang is so underrated. Look at Xblades guide on advanced techniques and you'll be like WE WERE WARNED. OH GOD WHY DIDN'T WE LISTEN
we did warn them, now it is too late!!!! haha.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
very true, but remember that only the WC and Texas has really been able to show the true power liu kang holds. I've yet to see any other regions use him and have alot of success, which means yes I haven't played a kabal like reo's, but he hasn't played a liu like mines neither. So it'd be a great match with this in mind for sure.
agreed.

Owerbart

I miss you
Nice thread. I HATE LIU KANG. SINCE MK1. I HATE HIM.
Man, nice to get that off the chest.

Now, objectively speaking, this looks quite interesting. Always thought Liu Kang does well against Kabal, but calling it even isn't in my book. I really don't think Luis Kang can outzone a proper IAGB gunning. Also, his hitbox really hurts him specially against Kabal's mix-ups, and as far as I'm concerned, low fireball has a horrible recovery and Liu can eat a buzzsaw for the trade. But on a on, he still seems to have a decent chance against Kabal. Maybe not 5-5, but a very honorable 4-6.

As a Kabal co-main I don't have quite experience against this match-up because I feel very comfortable using either Ermac or Cage. But for sure I would love to see you MITDJT and REO go at it to get some conclusions.

yeah and 3/4s
uh, no he wouldn't be able to. If he tried to dash in front of me and pressure, it wouldn't give him enough time to start pressuring me because I'd already be recovered from the fb and be able to hit. He could close the distance with that, but would't be able to start his pressure.

NariTuba

disMember
if he did an ex dash cancel in front of me, he'd have advantage and be able to start pressuring me.
How about the 50/50? jump the fireball, dash cancel into max range hooks/saw

edit: its hard to avoid getting pressured too because he starts the dash while youre in the last frames of recovery, so you have to guess whether he will 50/50, pressure or just let the dash rip

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
This isn't a crazy idea at all.

Basically it always comes down to that even if you can match Kabal on the ground, his ability to maintain pressure by jumping back and firing a fireball while avoiding most grounded offense is what makes him completely over the top in most matchups. Liu, however, has quite a few answers to this. His f+12 is fast enough to catch him if he jumped too high and is floating down from the gas blast slower than a lowest height one. If he is doing them at the minimum height, Liu's b+1 and sometimes b+2 will float under the blast and hit him, which takes a decent chunk if cancelled into a special.

So now both characters are forced to play their strong ground games, and I think this is where the stalemate is. At full screen, Kabal will probably be locked down hard by Tiger Shots. A low one, as MITDJT mentioned, from full or 3/4 screen isn't going to be caught by a nomad dash. A instant air Tiger Shot will recover fast enough that Liu will be able to block a saw from the same distance while Kabal takes the hit. Liu can also react to a saw from more than half screen with a flying kick.

Kabal however will probably press the advantage up close, where his normally great pressure is exacerbated by the fact that Liu's defensive options aren't so good. D1, as mentioned, is 8 frames, parry even slower, leaving d3 as the sole source of counterpoking. Not only that, Kabal's saw isn't actually punishable as far as I know even point blank, so unlike some characters who can get a punish, Liu is stuck.

So the way I see it, Kabal here is in one of the only matches where his approach can actually be hell (Ermac is the other 5-5 in my book) and where his normally great anti-ground game fails him. However, his intense pressure is still a force to be reckoned with, especially with Liu Kang's subpar defensive options and slow armored moves.

It's a cleanly even match up. As far as creds, I've beaten MortySeinfeld's Kabal 3-0 in tournament recently and done fairly well against DetroitBallin's Kabal as well.

How about the 50/50? jump the fireball, dash cancel into max range hooks/saw

edit: its hard to avoid getting pressured too because he starts the dash while youre in the last frames of recovery, so you have to guess whether he will 50/50, pressure or just let the dash rip
i'm sure he could do that. But i'll need to test this first. Liu does recover from fbs faster than most ppl would think.

Owerbart

I miss you
This isn't a crazy idea at all.

Basically it always comes down to that even if you can match Kabal on the ground, his ability to maintain pressure by jumping back and firing a fireball while avoiding most grounded offense is what makes him completely over the top in most matchups. Liu, however, has quite a few answers to this. His f+12 is fast enough to catch him if he jumped too high and is floating down from the gas blast slower than a lowest height one. If he is doing them at the minimum height, Liu's b+1 and sometimes b+2 will float under the blast and hit him, which takes a decent chunk if cancelled into a special.

So now both characters are forced to play their strong ground games, and I think this is where the stalemate is. At full screen, Kabal will probably be locked down hard by Tiger Shots. A low one, as MITDJT mentioned, from full or 3/4 screen isn't going to be caught by a nomad dash. A instant air Tiger Shot will recover fast enough that Liu will be able to block a saw from the same distance while Kabal takes the hit. Liu can also react to a saw from more than half screen with a flying kick.

Kabal however will probably press the advantage up close, where his normally great pressure is exacerbated by the fact that Liu's defensive options aren't so good. D1, as mentioned, is 8 frames, parry even slower, leaving d3 as the sole source of counterpoking. Not only that, Kabal's saw isn't actually punishable as far as I know even point blank, so unlike some characters who can get a punish, Liu is stuck.

So the way I see it, Kabal here is in one of the only matches where his approach can actually be hell (Ermac is the other 5-5 in my book) and where his normally great anti-ground game fails him. However, his intense pressure is still a force to be reckoned with, especially with Liu Kang's subpar defensive options and slow armored moves.

It's a cleanly even match up. As far as creds, I've beaten MortySeinfeld's Kabal 3-0 in tournament recently and done fairly well against DetroitBallin's Kabal as well.
Finally.

AssassiN

Noob
I think the MU is 6-4 in Kabal's favor.
Liu can kinda outzone Kabal and use flying kick to fly over buzzsaw if you make the right read and wanna get in.

But upclose LK's big hitbox, 10 frame D1, 9 frame parry and D3 that sometimes whiffs don't help him at all.
You can do 213 to interrupt the NDC's and get yourself a free combo.
I haven't been able to punish Kabal's buzzsaw and overhead with him(maybe other people have).
Up close it's just a matter of whose footsies are better, F12 can catch Kabal trying to zone upclose with IAGB.

TBH, I have no idea why the LK forums are so dead and why not a lot more people are playing with him.
Are people afraid of only being seen doing that B312 combo and being called a spammer or some shit like that?
Liu Kang only has 2 bad MU, goes 3-7 against Kenshi and Freddy.
Other than that he has the tools to beat everyone else if you master him enough.

MITDJT I saw a few of your matches with LK. Good LK but I'm wondering why you aren't using B1.
Against your brother you actually tried getting in on Cyrax while LK has to just zone and wait for Cyrax to come. And when your brother was walking away you wanted to catch him with B312 to try and get a combo while you could have done B1 + low fireball to actually hit him and not get whiff punished. Seems like you so desperately wanted to the damage you got baited and punished for it.

I think the MU is 6-4 in Kabal's favor.
Liu can kinda outzone Kabal and use flying kick to fly over buzzsaw if you make the right read and wanna get in.

But upclose LK's big hitbox, 10 frame D1, 9 frame parry and D3 that sometimes whiffs don't help him at all.
You can do 213 to interrupt the NDC's and get yourself a free combo.
I haven't been able to punish Kabal's buzzsaw and overhead with him(maybe other people have).
Up close it's just a matter of whose footsies are better, F12 can catch Kabal trying to zone upclose with IAGB.

TBH, I have no idea why the LK forums are so dead and why not a lot more people are playing with him.
Are people afraid of only being seen doing that B312 combo and being called a spammer or some shit like that?
Liu Kang only has 2 bad MU, goes 3-7 against Kenshi and Freddy.
Other than that he has the tools to beat everyone else if you master him enough.

MITDJT I saw a few of your matches with LK. Good LK but I'm wondering why you aren't using B1.
Against your brother you actually tried getting in on Cyrax while LK has to just zone and wait for Cyrax to come. And when your brother was walking away you wanted to catch him with B312 to try and get a combo while you could have done B1 + low fireball to actually hit him and not get whiff punished. Seems like you so desperately wanted to the damage you got baited and punished for it.
i still got liu vs kabal 5 5 and i will definitely start using b1. TBH, i seriously didn't want to play my brother. I got a lot more frustrated versus him, and just wanted to get the set over with because that was very stupid i had to play him so early. Nonetheless, that didn't stop me from doing very well with him at Dallas. I actually know the rax mu very well, I've beaten my bro in that mu alot more times than he has beat me. It is just at that moment, he got the best of me.