What's new

I Am Gotham's Reckoning -- Bane General Discussion Thread

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
Lol. No one on the Bane forums are denying he needs buffs. In fact, most of us, including myself have posted what we think he needs to be viable.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Yes but then we didn't have competent play. Really in comparison it's obvious to see he was ignored and is now bad because of it.

TimTim

Don't Hate
So I'm trying to pick up Bane. Is there an indepth write up on how to play him?
I read up on venom levels and stuff. Also combos but I don't know much past that.
For example setups, meaties, ways to get in, ways to stay in, normals and strings to use. Etc.

Alcarion

Gym rat
Yeah there's a great guide written by RYX how to pressure should be on the main page of the bane forums it's basically all you need to know about getting in and staying in with Bane, but TimTim i mean with Bane that's pretty much all you can do....

Can't help but feel with Bane your success will depend entirely on your guesses, if you guess right you can scratch a few wins but other than that good luck brah

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I read up on venom levels and stuff. Also combos but I don't know much past that.
For example setups, meaties, ways to get in, ways to stay in, normals and strings to use. Etc.
After you've studied RYX's guide and are familiar with Bane, take a look at this. It's got flowcharts for the different phases of a match (neutral, wakeup etc) and a lot of the information that we've discovered here that you'd have to tunnel through the forums to find.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
When I have the time I might take the time to go over specifics for my pressure guide match up wise. I.e how you should go about keeping on different characters and the like.

Yes/No?

TimTim

Don't Hate
When I have the time I might take the time to go over specifics for my pressure guide match up wise. I.e how you should go about keeping on different characters and the like.

Yes/No?
Double Yes.
Yeah there's a great guide written by RYX how to pressure should be on the main page of the bane forums it's basically all you need to know about getting in and staying in with Bane, but TimTim i mean with Bane that's pretty much all you can do....

Can't help but feel with Bane your success will depend entirely on your guesses, if you guess right you can scratch a few wins but other than that good luck brah
After you've studied RYX's guide and are familiar with Bane, take a look at this. It's got flowcharts for the different phases of a match (neutral, wakeup etc) and a lot of the information that we've discovered here that you'd have to tunnel through the forums to find.
Thanks for the responses guys.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Bane is a viable character. but has too many bad MU's to be viable alone. every Bane player needs a secondary character.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Bane is a viable character. but has too many bad MU's to be viable alone. every Bane player needs a secondary character.
I'm still searching for one. Can't seem to find one at the moment. But I do think he has some good MU's and is not a total loss as many would have us believe.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I guess so. Seems like he only wins a few match ups right now. Honestly I think he beats Aqua man(or at least 5-5), Raven and Green Arrow. Batman and Superman are nightmares ATM.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I'm still searching for one. Can't seem to find one at the moment. But I do think he has some good MU's and is not a total loss as many would have us believe.
Deathstroke has been working pretty well for me.

Really if all else fails, just use Superman or a character who compliments Bane (heavy zoning type)

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
I guess so. Seems like he only wins a few match ups right now. Honestly I think he beats Aqua man(or at least 5-5), Raven and Green Arrow. Batman and Superman are nightmares ATM.
really? how on earth does he beat aquaman?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
really? how on earth does he beat aquaman?
Command grab on Venom really fucks with him in general, and even without it still out reaches everything barring Ground Trident(who nobody will ever do that close). You NEVER need to go beyond one Venom in this match, Aquaman lacks the ability to lock you down at all. Jumping is a stupid thing to do but basically Bane wins the footsies with command grab and double punch.

C.grab is your friend. Aquaman can't lame you out for long due to recovery so you'll get in quick and armor takes care of most of his CQC. The only hazard I've had to encounter is that low scoop move but again, you outreach him. It boils down to who can control the other really, and I think Bane dictates it up close the second he lands one grab.

At long range, Aquaman is one of few characters Bane can just armor Charge on because of shitty recovery on trident throw/spike. At short range Bane can match him in damage with combos and without using meter so he's able to push block if AM tries to counter which puts him in great positioning. D.1 out ranges a lot of his shit and can be abusable with the mix ups on him.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Command grab on Venom really fucks with him in general, and even without it still out reaches everything barring Ground Trident(who nobody will ever do that close). You NEVER need to go beyond one Venom in this match, Aquaman lacks the ability to lock you down at all. Jumping is a stupid thing to do but basically Bane wins the footsies with command grab and double punch.

C.grab is your friend. Aquaman can't lame you out for long due to recovery so you'll get in quick and armor takes care of most of his CQC. The only hazard I've had to encounter is that low scoop move but again, you outreach him. It boils down to who can control the other really, and I think Bane dictates it up close the second he lands one grab.
but you can't pressure him, at all, trident scoop hits twice instantly so it totally nullifies venom. and his long normals whiff punish everything Bane has very easily.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
but you can't pressure him, at all, trident scoop hits twice instantly so it totally nullifies venom. and his long normals whiff punish everything Bane has very easily.
Trident scoop can be baited and punished with command grab.

Bane has normals that are just long and punishes just as well.

Also edited above post.

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Trident scoop can be baited and punished with command grab.

Bane has normals that are just long and punishes just as well.

Also edited above post.
how do you bait a move that reaches as far as trident scoop with Bane's terrible walkspeed? and what are these long reaching normals that reach as long as aquaman's?

RYX

BIG PUSHER
how do you bait a move that reaches as far as trident scoop with Bane's terrible walkspeed? and what are these long reaching normals that reach as long as aquaman's?
Standing 1 has great reach for 9 frames, 2, f.2.down is superb. B.3 can also smack him if you time right. Edit d.1 lawl

And not a normal but command grab works pretty great on him in general.

How far does trident scoop reach? It's never hit me beyond a tiny distance away. :16Bit

PND_Mustard

Premium Supporter
Standing 1 has great reach for 9 frames, 2, f.2.down is superb. B.3 can also smack him if you time right.

And not a normal but command grab works pretty great on him in general.

How far does trident scoop reach? It's never hit me beyond a tiny distance away. :16Bit
f2d is also over 20 frames and has very long recovery, aquaman get off the ground for free against Bane, he cannot punish a single of his wakeup attacks and if you cross him over on his wakeup he can wakeup with d2 and beat you clean, you can punish d2 on block with standing 1 but if you stand there he won't do d2. it's a total momentum killer.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
f2d is also over 20 frames and has very long recovery, aquaman get off the ground for free against Bane, he cannot punish a single of his wakeup attacks and if you cross him over on his wakeup he can wakeup with d2 and beat you clean, you can punish d2 on block with standing 1 but if you stand there he won't do d2. it's a total momentum killer.
How unsafe is trident scoop?

So. We have a character we get in on easily but cannot pressure on a knockdown. (I still think it's 5-5 or in Bane's favor) Let's put on our thinking caps and theorize on what we can do. :)

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
Check out RYX's guides. I posted a thread about pressure with double punch special move.

Also, a fast pointer: Bane needs knockdowns. After knockdown you can go into Double Punch for overhead, B23 or D1 for a low and when they block, you go for the Body Press. Some of that is in my thread too.

And guys, I'm not the best by any means, but I've beaten a few good players just by being smart, managing venom, and knowing what moves to throw. By no means is Bane equipped to really battle top level players in his current state. He needs some buffs, but I still have a blast with him.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Killer Frost has me covered :D
I have played with her a bit. I like her but I drop the MB cmb grab Giant ice spike a lot on her BnB but i've put in no where near the work with her i have with Bane. Also I feel if you can't catch them with her slide or combo into it her damage is meh.

I've also toyed with Hawkgirl a little. She seems she can be quite the pain in the ass for a lot of people.

RYX I do not care for Superman despite what he can do. I've never really gave DS an honest try yet.