What's new

HSmoke General Discussion Thread

Plop

Noob
i reckon he's a twink under that mask so I'm happy..

Ps/ Did anyone else notice the scar on his eye?

I get that everyone is excited to have Smoke return, but these designs are bringing me down so much. The 3 of them just look awful to me. Can't stand the hair on any of them nor the lack of mysticism in their appearances.

I just don't understand this direction. Why does anyone have to be a different character? And people are so ready to embrace it which baffles me.

Why does Smoke have to be Hanzo or Scorpion being Kuai Liang? lol The Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu could have both been present and co-existing as a team.

Scorpion and Takeda in the Shirai Ryu...Smoke, Sub-Zero and Tundra in the Lin Kuei for instance. Working...Together.

Idk man. I just don't know.
Agree so much. Say Goodbye to mk lore.
Everyone is brothers now. But they aren't themselves, they are someone else.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Scorpion and Smoke are whatever, but I think this is the best Sub Zero has ever looked, in any form of media. He just works so much better as a villain, or at the very least an anti hero. When Kuai Liang talks about peace and forgiveness, honor and protecting earthrealm, while walking into the fight with a severed head its just jarring. Bi Han would be savage enough to hold that head, and still mean every word that he says.

Scorpion and Smoke are whatever, but I think this is the best Sub Zero has ever looked, in any form of media. He just works so much better as a villain, or at the very least an anti hero. When Kuai Liang talks about peace and forgiveness, honor and protecting earthrealm, while walking into the fight with a severed head its just jarring. Bi Han would be savage enough to hold that head, and still mean every word that he says.
This part doesn’t really make sense to me, they’re all identical with exception of Smoke’s shorter hair, suit color and the masks they wear.

Between Scorpion and Sub-Zero themselves…it’s a hair line, masks and a tattoo difference. Mirror image otherwise.

I also don’t agree with the Sub-Zero part, I feel his best look was MKX.

Both his default and Revenant looks were badder than fuck.

Cicada 5

Noob
On looks -

Meh. I think it's fine. You're all waaaaaaay too sensitive about a hairdo. Think this is his best look yet for actually making him a unique character given the aesthetic/goal they're going for.

Taking smoke and making him actually use smoke bombs is a really clever way to finally give him some identity (seeing as how last time they were just essentially magic) and the karambit is great. It's a weird weapon with questionable practical use and lots of fancy movements, so you'd think it'd be in more video games but it usually isn't. The fact they didn't even have him double wield them (something media loves to do with ALL dagger users) is even better.

Him being this light/mobile assassin fits perfectly given, you know, the fact that he's a fucking ninja assassin. I'm really curious what they're going to do with his move list and he's one of the ones i'm most excited to see.
How is this giving him an identity?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
This trailer was more than likely made way before the stress test or Kombat Kast, so I hope it wasn't entirely reflective of Smoke's gameplay. Because holy shit does he look slow. Replay that first sequence of him vs Kenshi. His strings and animations are agonizingly sluggish. In the time it takes to knock Kenshi down, Cyber Smoke from MKX would've already put you in 3 different mixups.

Zviko

Noob
This trailer was more than likely made way before the stress test or Kombat Kast, so I hope it wasn't entirely reflective of Smoke's gameplay. Because holy shit does he look slow. Replay that first sequence of him vs Kenshi. His strings and animations are agonizingly sluggish. In the time it takes to knock Kenshi down, Cyber Smoke from MKX would've already put you in 3 different mixups.
That to me seems like MK1 issue, not Smoke issue.

Zviko

Noob
Thank god gameplay is all I care about. Practical magic? Really NRS? A simple reboot would work just fine. This feels like there's a bet behind all of this to make the lore as cringy as possible.

Thank god gameplay is all I care about. Practical magic? Really NRS? A simple reboot would work just fine. This feels like there's a bet behind all of this to make the lore as cringy as possible.
It doesn’t even make sense either because so much of what he does is supernatural.

Show me how he rises to the top of that mountain quite literally blowing smoke up his own ass.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It doesn’t even make sense either because so much of what he does is supernatural.

Show me how he rises to the top of that mountain quite literally blowing smoke up his own ass.
wire work of course.

I mean we don't know the story, maybe he's already possessed by Enenra and doesn't know. Who the heck knows lmao.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Enenra only possessed him as he was immolated as a kid by the hands of a cult. Why would Enenra spirits give two fuggs about an Orphan who lost his parents because they didnt pay for a Lin Kuei hunting license?

Ermac's going to be introduced as a human with split personalities, and NRS fan bois will be yelling "give it a chance!" If it smells like a turd, its probably a turd.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Enenra only possessed him as he was immolated as a kid by the hands of a cult. Why would Enenra spirits give two fuggs about an Orphan who lost his parents because they didnt pay for a Lin Kuei hunting license?

Ermac's going to be introduced as a human with split personalities, and NRS fan bois will be yelling "give it a chance!" If it smells like a turd, its probably a turd.
Revenge? Chaos? Why do demons do what they do? Idk, would make sense lmao.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Double post but, in the Geras trailer it looks like Smoke has a smoke bomb teleport which (possibly) has mix up options.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Double post but, in the Geras trailer it looks like Smoke has a smoke bomb teleport which (possibly) has mix up options.

It’s so slow and telegraphed. So I don’t see it being used in neutral. But I can see it being used in combos or after knockdowns.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Yeah maybe it has a safe option they looked like the overhead probably. But yeah I’d use it in combos to confuse TF out of people. That and the smoke cloud thing he has, gonna be fun!

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile

I think this MIGHT be a 2 part move. 1- Toss the bomb; 2- Teleport to it. Depending on where you decide to activate the teleport, it may take you full screen, half-screen, or close to the original position. Would be an interesting mindgame, as enemies might antecipate your actions only for you to teleport somewhere they aren't expecting...