What's new

HSmoke General Discussion Thread

Temptress

Edenian Empress
He uses a Karambit (or something that looks like it) which is a traditional Filipino weapon. The Raid is an Indonesian film, and considering the countries' proximity to one another, it's not surprising to see it in the film.
It is an Indonesian weapon, actually, but it is used in Filipino martial arts.

not feeling smoke from what I have seen sofar. Have to see more to decide if I like the new smoke

Last edited:

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I wanna talk about this

That awkward pause after Kenshi lands on the ground, and how it almost looks like Smoke has reset to neutral before calling the dagger back. Do you guys think Smoke might have some sort of Dagger Recall ability? Like he can embed the dagger in you, and call it back whenever he wants. Even calling it back on a knockdown to pull you closer to him? Maybe I'm looking too deeply into this, but the animation really makes it seem like its two separate actions as opposed to one long attack

Kokoko

Somehow
I like the new Smoke design. The weakest part is probably the mask, but overall it came out very well. Finally, the "ninja" from MK looks like a real ninja, and not a brightly dressed fighter in metal armor. And given all those rumors about a large number of skins for the characters, I think that others who didn't like this skin will also have something to choose from. I won't be surprised if there is a Cyborg skin.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I wanna talk about this

That awkward pause after Kenshi lands on the ground, and how it almost looks like Smoke has reset to neutral before calling the dagger back. Do you guys think Smoke might have some sort of Dagger Recall ability? Like he can embed the dagger in you, and call it back whenever he wants. Even calling it back on a knockdown to pull you closer to him? Maybe I'm looking too deeply into this, but the animation really makes it seem like its two separate actions as opposed to one long attack
Perhaps, but it’s too difficult to tell. He definitely seems to be nearly completely redone which will be interesting. In fact, Scorpion in this game seems to be more like traditional Human Smoke as far as what his kit has to offer, which is why I’m also maining Scorpion.

projectzero00

nomnomnom
Smoke looks amazing in this game! I love the more simplistic MK1 (the actual original MK1) approach they took with the characters. It makes sense for that stage in the timeline, as the Lin Kuei warriors have to look somewhat similar in terms of costumes anyway. Also love that they got rid of the troll doll hair!

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I wanna talk about this

Yeah not sure if it's part of the string or a special cancel, really hard to tell. But look at the string where he throws a smoke bomb behind the opponent, I REALLY hope that's a special. Imagine all the setups lmao. He'll be so annoying.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Yeah not sure if it's part of the string or a special cancel, really hard to tell. But look at the string where he throws a smoke bomb behind the opponent, I REALLY hope that's a special. Imagine all the setups lmao. He'll be so annoying.
I got the impression he can toss a smoke bomb and decide when to teleport to it, as it goes across the screen - so, close, medium, far and everything in-between. :eek:

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
I get that everyone is excited to have Smoke return, but these designs are bringing me down so much. The 3 of them just look awful to me. Can't stand the hair on any of them nor the lack of mysticism in their appearances.

I just don't understand this direction. Why does anyone have to be a different character? And people are so ready to embrace it which baffles me.

Why does Smoke have to be Hanzo or Scorpion being Kuai Liang? lol The Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu could have both been present and co-existing as a team.

Scorpion and Takeda in the Shirai Ryu...Smoke, Sub-Zero and Tundra in the Lin Kuei for instance. Working...Together.

Idk man. I just don't know.
Its dog shit my brutha. Smoke looks like he should be playing in a 98 Degrees reunion tour. Probably where the fan base is at, hence the embracing. Pure dog shit, pray for some skins and skip story mode out right.

Its dog shit my brutha. Smoke looks like he should be playing in a 98 Degrees reunion tour. Probably where the fan base is at, hence the embracing. Pure dog shit, pray for some skins and skip story mode out right.
Yesss man, the skins will be undo these terrible default outfits.

I wish they’d show some.

I get that everyone is excited to have Smoke return, but these designs are bringing me down so much. The 3 of them just look awful to me. Can't stand the hair on any of them nor the lack of mysticism in their appearances.

I just don't understand this direction. Why does anyone have to be a different character? And people are so ready to embrace it which baffles me.

Why does Smoke have to be Hanzo or Scorpion being Kuai Liang? lol The Lin Kuei and Shirai Ryu could have both been present and co-existing as a team.

Scorpion and Takeda in the Shirai Ryu...Smoke, Sub-Zero and Tundra in the Lin Kuei for instance. Working...Together.

I shared this reaction at first too. It seemed like each MK for a while did a different and more intricate take on each character, and each of these redesigns are so much more grounded in a way that feels less fantastical. I couldn't help but dislike the fact that everyone just sorta...looks like a person.

I think I've come around to the idea though. I had this weird feeling as MK12 got announced and we were waiting to see stuff where I was excited, but kinda felt like we just did this with MK11. Like "okay, I guess maybe we'll see Reptile this time, maybe we'll get Ermac, would be cool to see what they do with Nitara" but at the end of the day we were just kicking the tires on the same old characters with a few glow-ups here and there, adding a mechanic or two, upping the stakes on how nuts everything is in the story and world to the point that the grandiosity and outlandishness gap between games starts closing. To kinda bring everything back down to earth with a less immediately intense aesthetic, and more understated designs, it feels refreshing to me.

All that being said though, I do hope we get some more cosmetic options too. I'm fine with the canonical looks for this game being less gaudy than in previous games, but I like a wacky costume as much as the next person.

I shared this reaction at first too. It seemed like each MK for a while did a different and more intricate take on each character, and each of these redesigns are so much more grounded in a way that feels less fantastical. I couldn't help but dislike the fact that everyone just sorta...looks like a person.

I think I've come around to the idea though. I had this weird feeling as MK12 got announced and we were waiting to see stuff where I was excited, but kinda felt like we just did this with MK11. Like "okay, I guess maybe we'll see Reptile this time, maybe we'll get Ermac, would be cool to see what they do with Nitara" but at the end of the day we were just kicking the tires on the same old characters with a few glow-ups here and there, adding a mechanic or two, upping the stakes on how nuts everything is in the story and world to the point that the grandiosity and outlandishness gap between games starts closing. To kinda bring everything back down to earth with a less immediately intense aesthetic, and more understated designs, it feels refreshing to me.

All that being said though, I do hope we get some more cosmetic options too. I'm fine with the canonical looks for this game being less gaudy than in previous games, but I like a wacky costume as much as the next person.
Exactly. They all look way too human.

I’m mainly a Scorpion fan and seeing him with his normal pupils, his very soft spoken voice (which is such a jarring contrast to him yelling Get Over Here, I don’t even get where that comes from now)…he sounded way to “nice” in this latest trailer.

Like the part where he’s speaking to Smoke about not being blood brothers…I’m literally asking myself who this guy is because I don’t get Scorpion from any of it.

On the contrary I really like Bi Han’s voice in this game, it suits his villainous nature very well.

Something else I noticed is about Sub-Zero’s suit where the shoulder part of it flares upward to a point. Gives him a slightly more aggressive look which makes sense because he is very openly aggressive. Looks a bit better than the other two which really look identical and just bland.

Fingers crossed for those alternates.

Lore wise Shirai Ryu didn't exist before one of the Lin Kuei masters broke off and formed his own clan

Exactly. They all look way too human.

I’m mainly a Scorpion fan and seeing him with his normal pupils, his very soft spoken voice (which is such a jarring contrast to him yelling Get Over Here, I don’t even get where that comes from now)…he sounded way to “nice” in this latest trailer.

Like the part where he’s speaking to Smoke about not being blood brothers…I’m literally asking myself who this guy is because I don’t get Scorpion from any of it.

On the contrary I really like Bi Han’s voice in this game, it suits his villainous nature very well.

Something else I noticed is about Sub-Zero’s suit where the shoulder part of it flares upward to a point. Gives him a slightly more aggressive look which makes sense because he is very openly aggressive. Looks a bit better than the other two which really look identical and just bland.

Fingers crossed for those alternates.
I think his shoulder pads indicate he's the new grandmaster.

Okay
I like what I saw in the trailer, even the karambit Smoke was using. He's voiced by Spider Man qnd Sasuke and his moves are looking great.