What's new

How Would You Rate The Roster At The Moment?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Maybe because characters are the most important part of a fighting game.
But there's gonna be 25+ characters in the game, with plenty of variety in looks and playstyle. Fretting because of a few inclusions or exclusions seems like a waste of time. If after the entire MK11 roster is revealed someone can't find a single character or playstyle they enjoy, either they're probably just not a fan of the game, or it's their own personal hangup.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Not saying people shouldn't be hype or be hopeful for their own personal favorite character. It's fine to want a certain character to be in. I just think it's strange how some people seem to legit hold it against the game just because their personal favorite character wasn't included. Especially when the difference between their "perfect" roster and the actual roster is normally just a handful of character changes anyways.

Kroaken

Life is a block string with no gaps.
But there's gonna be 25+ characters in the game, with plenty of variety in looks and playstyle. Fretting because of a few inclusions or exclusions seems like a waste of time. If after the entire MK11 roster is revealed someone can't find a single character or playstyle they enjoy, either they're probably just not a fan of the game, or it's their own personal hangup.
Some just feel different than you. Some are character loyalists and didn't have that character. It was fine, I just played Shinnok and Cyrax instead, but I do hope to see Shang in this one.

Lol more than anything, the characters that are in that I find boring, I hope are low to mid tier so I don't see them every day and twice on Sunday. (Looking at you @Vslayer :p)

Elder God

Power!
  1. Scorpion
  2. Sub-Zero
  3. Raiden
  4. Liu Kang
  5. Johnny Cage
  6. Sonya Blade
  7. Kano
  8. Kung Lao
  9. Kitana
  10. Baraka
  11. Kabal
  12. Skarlet
  13. Cassie Cage
  14. D'Vorah
  15. Geras
  16. Shao Kahn
  17. Rain ( like Kano on card)
  18. Noob ( menu glimpse)
Most probably chars to me:
Shang Tsung
Jade
Millena
Jax
Kotal
Erron Black
Robots maybe

I hope for:
Smoke
Fujin

Questions:
25 chars on base roster + Shao Kahn?
No more brand new chars in base roster?
Kronika ?

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Everybody looks great so far 8/10. I just wish there was more than 25, that’s my only problem with the roster. It’s nothing flashy so far but it’s solid. I’m probably most hyped about the preorder bonus character lol.

mattteo

Noob
1/10.

So we know 15 characters: Geras, Raiden, Skarlet, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Sonya, Liu Kagn, Baraka, Kano, Kabal, Johnny Cage, Cassie, D'vorah, Erron Black. Logically Kotal Kahn.

The TYM most wanted roster actually looks pretty good IN THIS MOMENT. For the rest 8 unrevealed roster places (cause it's pretty certain Kitana and Kung Lao are in) we'd have Rain, Noob, Jade, Fujin, Havik, Sareena, Smoke, Shang Tsung + Mileena as DLC.

I think we'd all be happy with that roster. But you know that in those 8 we're gonna get the other kombat kids and 2-3 new characters. So it will suck.

Even if we are very optimistic and we count 2 big packs of 6 DLC each (where I expect there will be 3 guest characters and 3 MK characters in each) that will make just 6 more MK character spots, which I expect to be occupied by more MK 3 characters like Kabal (Nightwolf, Sindel, Reptile, Jax, 1 cyborg).

That will mean of the above voted Rain, Noob, Jade, Fujin, Havik, Sareena, Smoke, Shang Tsung and Mileena only 3-5 will make it, the rest will stay out, needless to talk about Reiko or Tanya or Frost or Ashrah.

That's why I say the 25 roster is just horrible and characters like Kano and Sonya would have better been left out.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
Shao Kahn's confirmation alone makes this a golden roster for me, so I'm very happy. Next to Kahn I have Subby who looks and plays awesome. Same goes for Raiden.

If they were to confirm Shang, Noob, Nightwolf, and a cyborg, this will be one of the best rosters for me personally. Including Fujin and Sareena will also go a long way.

I find that the above named characters deserve a roster slot over the likes of Cassie/Jacqui/Sonya/Kano/ErronB and the like.

Thracian_Priest

The troll awakens...
I expect it to be something like this:

It's like 15 of my beloved characters out of 26 total. Actually, the only characters I don't want and don't like in MK11 are Noob, Shang and Jax, but they are not confirmed yet, so... In any case, I don't hate them, so I'm good with what the roster is shaping up to be.

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
What we know so far (and what can be assumed based on the videos and such) I think the roster is pretty good. Then again I'm easy to please. I tend to like the oldest characters the best, save for Sonya, who IMO has always been bland.

But as far as hopes and wishes made of rainbows and cotton candy clouds? More ninjas and kung fu users. Rain, Noob, Fujin etc...

I think there could be room for a straight up classic karate character. Think Ryu, Ken or Makoto from Street Fighter (visually, that is). That could be a spot to redeem one of the 3d era characters.

And no Erron Black. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I felt a cowboy stuck out like a sore thumb in MKX's roster. Plus I thought he was super cheap, so that didn't help. :p

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
I expect it to be something like this:

It's like 15 of my beloved characters out of 26 total. Actually, the only characters I don't want and don't like in MK11 are Noob, Shang and Jax, but they are not confirmed yet, so... In any case, I don't hate them, so I'm good with what the roster is shaping up to be.
That's a nice looking select screen but if you're expecting that you'd very likely be disappointed.

First of all it has only 2 new characters. I expect MK11 to have at least 5 at launch. MKX had 8 if I recall correctly. The select screen shown so far also has 25 slots, not 26 like it is above. I don't expect that to change before launch.

It's a nice fantasy roster though. I'd personally throw out Jax to make room for Sektor :D

Thracian_Priest

The troll awakens...
if you're expecting that you'd very likely be disappointed.
Wrong. Did you read my post? How is 15 out of 25 a reason for disappointment? And the 15 characters I'm going to play are already confirmed or... more than likely to make the cut:
Kitana, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Erron Black, Kabal, Jade, D'vorah, Baraka, Raiden, Shao Kahn, Kano, Skarlet, Johnny Cage, Geras

I'd personally throw out Jax
Yeah, you didn't read my post.

The select screen shown so far also has 25 slots, not 26
So?

It's a 4/10 for me right now. I really don't like the idea of relying on MK1-3 characters. I'm sick of seeing Sonya, Johnny and Kano, Kabal has never had any real significant role in the main story so it just feels like a wasted slot and Erron Black was so criminally underdeveloped as a character that he's literally just there to look cool.

EDIT: Also, WHY IS JADE ALL OF A SUDDEN "IMPORTANT"? She isn't confirmed yet but with the way people have been going on about her, they're gonna put her in. I just don't get how a character whose role was literally just Kitana's sidekick is now for whatever reason the ONE person who knew of Kronika before MK11, and it was revealed in a Ladder Ending?

A lot of my gripes with the current roster or characters that are more than likely in is that it just makes no sense from a current timeline standpoint. Yeah, Kronika is apparently rewinding everything back, so there's a reason that these characters who were revenants are now alive again/it's just a different timeline version of them, but my point still stands on Kabal, Jade and Erron Black.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Some just feel different than you. Some are character loyalists and didn't have that character. It was fine, I just played Shinnok and Cyrax instead, but I do hope to see Shang in this one.

Lol more than anything, the characters that are in that I find boring, I hope are low to mid tier so I don't see them every day and twice on Sunday. (Looking at you @Vslayer :p)
You sayin' Cass is low to mid? :O She's gonna be SSG tier, you just wait and see. :p

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
EDIT: Also, WHY IS JADE ALL OF A SUDDEN "IMPORTANT"?
I mean if you can't play as the green ninja palette swap, what's the point?

Seriously though, it is kind of interesting that people can become so attached to characters who originated as simply a different color. Kudos to MK for developing characters people feel passionately about, I guess.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I mean if you can't play as the green ninja palette swap, what's the point?

Seriously though, it is kind of interesting that people can become so attached to characters who originated as simply a different color. Kudos to MK for developing characters people feel passionately about, I guess.
I love jade out of all of them because of the potential of her staff combos they never really capitalized on.

Go to 4:50, before that he's just explaining the strings.

I want to see Jade have some badass and crazy staff combos. Like they said with Kabal, most of his attacks are focused on his hook swords and I hope they do this with Jade as well.