What's new

How does your way of playing MK9 changed since you Joined TYM?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Having been a tester for MK9 changed my entire outlook of the game. I watched over it more as a developer then a player. Watching the game being played at CEO 2011 was a very special moment for me. Watching the streams and game in general i enjoy more than actually playing it. What can i say, i'm a netherfreak

As for combos, i will always remember the game in its rawest form. That is the game i know. That is the game i wanted to take and mold into a true fighter. NRS went their own way with it, and thats fine. Its their game. They can do what they want. Judging by Injustice, they already seem more open to feedback. At the end of the day there wasn't enough time to fix everything, and some of the fixes, like i've said since MKD, aren't fixable without re-releasing the game (you can even hear Hector mention this in his latest interview).

Now for surprises, i am pretty blown away by the amount of stuff i DIDN'T find. Each MK that comes out i always end up breaking it down 100% by myself, but this time i was unable to. There were so many people instrumental to finding various things, whether it be Reptile's invis forceball, or Invisible glitch. The list goes on and on. I did my part, but it goes to show that i am human. I was just really surprised at myself not being able to find things like i used to.

I guess the other surprise would be the game when it came out. I was under the impression that a lot of the fixes i mentioned while testing would be implemented (input bug, p1/p2, blockstun, etc), but the game came out pretty much the same. I was glad to have help sparked the search for the block jab infinites while i was out there. The game would of been a mess had it been released with all of those. I figured "thats enough to get them to change the blockstun", but it still ended up the same. I have faith in Injustice.

The last surprise would be always saying "that's it, im done, there's nothing left to find", and coming out with things like DEATH IS CERTAIN, or the Cyrax/Sektor video, or Scorp/Sub. How do i feel now? Like this "final video" isn't my last one. About a hour ago, i decided to do another MK9 video after this one is done (very small, maybe 4 or 5 combos). After that i truly feel i am done, and im not 100% on the second video.

As a player, how has MK9 changed me?

- I would say walking to play footsies and space would at the top of the list.

- The blockstun changing my uncanny ability to punish at lightspeed to being stuck in block and guessing which frame it'll let me out (even if you guess right, the game randomly chooses when to cancel the startup frames of your attack while in block, if the startup frames are not canceled, you remain in block an extra frame and nothing comes out.).

- I've also never experience armor before, and thought it was dumb. Armor belongs in Final Fantasy games. Not Mortal Kombat. The faulty hitboxes i was already used to from MKDC.

-The over-importance of Anti-Airs. Not used to jumping not being a scrubby tactic. Jumping is a poor mans way of getting in. The unability to block on reaction. Etc etc.... But it's a legit tactic in MK9. It's just not my kind of thing.

- I was surprised to see the return of counterstage picking as well. That brought me back to MKA, but at least in that game it didn't stop me from beating everyone.

In closing, i have said this over the last 6 years of so, but after MKD i found out how good i was. After finding out how good of a player i could be, i stopped caring about being the best. I stuck around afterwards to play friends and thats about it. I've just always looked to inspire players to play offline with my videos and just inspire players to get better. I'm glad the focus has finally shifted towards offline, even though my efforts seem to be in vain. Whatever happens at the end, every new MK changes my outlook on the community and focus in general. It's such a small community and it has ways to go. It'll get there. One day.

Thanks for the tag, Eddy. Hope you enjoyed this read.

pretty modest post

:p

I did, i like it very much. ^^
It is weird that maybe 10 hours ago, i said to myself "I wonder what happened to Eddy? He hasn't been around in a while." And yet, here you are, today tagging me in your thread. You mention friendships in your post, and i agree, it's not hard to tell who's your friend and who's not. I just found it interesting that you mentioned me, and the Scorp/Sub vid of all things. That was unexpected and a nice surprise. Glad you enjoyed that and the post a lot.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
hit and block confirming is the act of being able do a string and reacting accordingly should the string connect or be blocked correct?

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
hit and block confirming is the act of being able do a string and reacting accordingly should the string connect or be blocked correct?
Yeah. For example-
Hitconfirm- You do a 212 as Sub Zero on a blocking opponent. They get hit by the 1, and you manage to hitconfirm an Ice Ball after the 2nd 2.
Block confirm- You do a 212 as Sub Zero on a blocking opponent. You finish the string, and you manage to end it with an ice clone.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Because of TYM I dropped my girlfriend, I quited my job, I'm pissed with my friends and my family.

Now I'm fat because of the pizzas, I'm poor, I'm alone except when I play online, and my level is starting to be decent at mk9.

Thx a lot TYM for opening my eyes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Axel_Redd

k, so i pretty much do that kinda stuff without thinking about it all the time o-o. also...would you consider it hard to hit confirm 22 into iceball? i've done it before when the first 2 was blocked but the second one hit o-o. Same thing with kitana, her 21 is easier to block/hit confirm tho.

Vagrant

Noob
This community completely changed me as a gamer. Everything I learned about properly playing fighting games I learned here with this community and I can't thank you guys enough for such an amazing experience.

It really is an honor to share a hobby with such a talented, informative, inspiring, helpful, and funny group of people.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Tremendously!!! I still have A LOT of improving to do but I always check back here to see what i can learn and what I need to do to improve. Constantly I have to break down and rebuild my game play after many losses I endure to other players learning to read my strategies & game play. This site is the best tool a competitor can have.

The BEST!!!

I only wish there was more vids and match channels for my Kano, Baraka and Jade.

*sigh*

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I'd play something else until I got to an annoying part or the end or something and come back to MK like a drunk ex.
^ This made me laugh. Mostly because I think that's true for just about all of us. SFxT, SCV, AE, TTT2... all of them have tried to take this games' place but then there I go again right back to the lab in MK and right back to my old mains even though the new ones are S and A tier.

Axel_Redd

Eddy, have some tech. On me:

Video is unlisted so here is the only place to get it.

Best wishes, man.
does this glitch have a time limit? or does it last until the next hit...and does the opponent have to be near you?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I learned how over-conscious everyone is of frame data and jumping, acknowledged that everyone lost sight of the simplest of assets in this game, and became the Scorpion of the UK.

LOOK IN MY EEEEEEEEEYES, WHAT DO YOU SEEEEE?

BACK 2s AND FORWARD 4s FOR FREEEEEEE...

Shameless self-promotion aside, without TYM, I would never have been a part of Piccadilly Nerf Demanders, they kept me determined to play a game NRS have shown zero support for since last October, need I say more? I was always familiar with frame data and what footsies to enforce via Tekken, but in MK my problem was that I used to avoid theoretical bad matchups like the plague without really thinking about other factors as to why I might lose. Plus with training mode being barebones as fuck I didn't really have a way to see what's really up with the characters in question.

My biggest lesson probably came in a local tournament in Stevenage when I lost to Cage, tons of shit went unpunished and I should've just picked Scorp in the first place, then Smoke for the first time offline, and remember him being hell for Sektor online, went 2-0 down using Scorp, then switched to Sektor and almost came back. I realized from there everyone has to deal with bad matchups and just grinded it all anyway, and now I know when and what to counterpick, not just losing a match and running to a 7-3. Because of this, I would say I understand Scorpion better than anyone else, but players like Slips and MIT know how to keep their composure at the highest level better than I. Just a shame that by the time I figured everything out, the EU MK scene had pretty much disintegrated and TTT2 was right around the corner haha.

One more thing. I also learned that most of these matchups supposedly in Sektor's favor is nothing more than obnoxious theory fighting, masqueraded by players who don't even use him in the first place.