What's new

How does your way of playing MK9 changed since you Joined TYM?

I actually lurked TYM for 9 months before joining on June 30th, 2012. My account was erased from existence in the Three-Month Data Loss, so I had to recreate it.

Before having heard of TYM:
My Icy Counters, 3,3,2s B+3,2,1s, Slides, and Dive-Kicks will destroy you lol. That doesnt work? I'll throw shadows at you all day.

Having checked TYM:
I'll Soul Steal you and pwn you using your own character, 'cause that's so swag. BTW, if that doesn't work, I'm still going to throw Shadows at you.

After Joining TYM:
Know what I can do pretty decently? I can zone you and pressure you using the same character (Liu Kang), I can zone you with my Skulls and adequately take you down using your own character (Shang Tsung), I can Spike you, Claw you, and cut you (Freddy Krueger), and Cage you. I also have some knowledge of frame data.

Now:
+Forever Alone in what I call "my Kratos sub-forum".
+I am capable of full-screen frame traps and know when to escape pressure using Hell Shifts.
+I use Liu Kang's standing 2 similarly to Johnny's F+3. I perform iaFBs all day, along with High and Low FBs. Standing 2 is my best friend when mixing up with B+3,2 - F+4 - F+3 and other moves. Zoning and pressuring with one chracter is my favorite thing about Liu.
+Stryker is my favorite police man. I see Espio has a great zoning Stryker, my zoning cop isn't as good as his. But to compensate, I try to improve my Stryker's close kombat game.
+I like Forward and Up Missiles, I can iaTU, and I enjoy Sektor's rushdown with the tried-and-true techniques, along with gimmicky techniques.
+I enjoy zoning with Shadows, and playing rushdown when necessary with Noob Saibot. His close-kombat game is undiscovered.
+Upskulls and Ground Skulls are fun, so is pressuring with Shang, Soul Stealing is still swag, and gimmicky Up Skull setups are so cool.
+CSZ, my old first main, is still fun to play as, though he isn't my main anymore. Knowing Cyber Sub-Zero's gimmicky techniques assist me with making Sektor's less-than-preferable upclose game more decent.
+Jade is so fun to play as, but harder than I expected to do well with. ;_; I'm probably trying to learn too fast.
+Forever Alone in the Kratos sub-forum.
+Fuck you, Nomad Charge.

Somberness is the greatest asset to the whole MK community with his collection of Frame Data. The knowledge granted to us through Somberness' data leveled all of us up to new heights.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
Before MK9 I was a Smash Bros player and a casual Marvel player, nothing special just another guy who's overly anxious to get in and push buttons without any consideration of spacing or set ups or anything like that. Playing MK9 and joining TYM pretty much changed my entire outlook, I went from twitchy button smasher to doing somewhat well with friggen Sub Zero. Of course I main Kung Lao now so I guess I've kinda come full circle lol.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I actually lurked TYM for 9 months before joining on June 30th, 2012. My account was erased from existence in the Three-Month Data Loss, so i had to recreate it.

Before having heard of TYM:
My Icy Counters, 3,3,2s B+3,2,1s, Slides, and Dive-Kicks will destroy you lol. That doesnt work? I'll throw shadows at you all day.

Having checked TYM:
I'll Soul Steal you and pwn you using your own character, 'cause that's so swag. BTW, If that doesn't work, I'm still going to throw Shadows at you.

After Joining TYM:
Know what I can do pretty decently? I can zone you and pressure you using the same character (Liu Kang), I can zone you with my Skulls and adequately take you down using your own character (Shang Tsung), I can Spike you, Claw you, and cut you (Freddy Krueger), and Cage you. I also have some knowledge of frame data.

Now:
+Forever Alone in what I call "my Kratos sub-forum".
+I am capable of full-screen frame traps and know when to escape pressure using Hell Shifts.
+I use Liu Kang's standing 2 similarly to Johnny's F+3. I perform iaFBs all day, along with High and Low FBs. Standing 2 is my best friend when mixing up with B+3,2 - F+4 - F+3 and other moves. Zoning and pressuring with one chracter is my favorite thing about Liu.
+Stryker is my favorite police man. I see Espio has a great zoning Stryker, my zoning cop isn't as good as his. But to compensate, I try to improve my Stryker's close kombat game.
+I like Forward and Up Missiles, I can iaTU, and I enjoy Sektor's rushdown with the tried-and-true techniques, along with gimmicky techniques.
+I enjoy zoning with Shadows, and playing rushdown when necessary with Noob Saibot. His close-kombat game is undiscovered.
+Upskulls and Ground Skulls are fun, so is pressuring with Shang, Soul Stealing is still swag, and gimmicky Up Skull setups are so cool.
+CSZ, my old first main, is still fun to play as, though he isn't my main anymore. Knowing Cyber Sub-Zero's gimmicky techniques assist me with making Sektor's less-than-preferable upclose game more decent.
+Jade is so fun to play as, but harder than I expected to do well with. ;_; I'm probably trying to learn too fast.
+Forever Alone in the Kratos sub-forum.
+Fuck you, Nomad Charge.

Somberness is the greatest assest to the whole MK community with his collection of Frame Data. The knowledge granted to us through Somberness' data leveled all of us up to new heights.
Your not alone in the kratos forum :p you forgot about me yo!

Of course my playstyle has changed since coming here. I'd be concerned if it hadn't -- that's a lot of time wasted on here to have not learned anything.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Of course my playstyle has changed since coming here. I'd be concerned if it hadn't -- that's a lot of time wasted on here to have not learned anything.
~learns about frame data, frame traps, pressure and footsies~ o:

~still does nothing but spam telestomps, upballs, knives and shadows~ :D

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
I learned how over-conscious everyone is of frame data and jumping, acknowledged that everyone lost sight of the simplest of assets in this game, and became the Scorpion of the UK.

LOOK IN MY EEEEEEEEEYES, WHAT DO YOU SEEEEE?

BACK 2s AND FORWARD 4s FOR FREEEEEEE...

Shameless self-promotion aside, without TYM, I would never have been a part of Piccadilly Nerf Demanders, they kept me determined to play a game NRS have shown zero support for since last October, need I say more? I was always familiar with frame data and what footsies to enforce via Tekken, but in MK my problem was that I used to avoid theoretical bad matchups like the plague without really thinking about other factors as to why I might lose. Plus with training mode being barebones as fuck I didn't really have a way to see what's really up with the characters in question.

My biggest lesson probably came in a local tournament in Stevenage when I lost to Cage, tons of shit went unpunished and I should've just picked Scorp in the first place, then Smoke for the first time offline, and remember him being hell for Sektor online, went 2-0 down using Scorp, then switched to Sektor and almost came back. I realized from there everyone has to deal with bad matchups and just grinded it all anyway, and now I know when and what to counterpick, not just losing a match and running to a 7-3. Because of this, I would say I understand Scorpion better than anyone else, but players like Slips and MIT know how to keep their composure at the highest level better than I. Just a shame that by the time I figured everything out, the EU MK scene had pretty much disintegrated and TTT2 was right around the corner haha.

One more thing. I also learned that most of these matchups supposedly in Sektor's favor is nothing more than obnoxious theory fighting, masqueraded by players who don't even use him in the first place.
dat needed some wartime music in the backround!

D

Deleted member 9158

- I don't jump all the time anymore
- I learnt frame data and bad MU's, and how to deal with them
- my spacing, holy hell my spacing is so much better from playing people from here
- I still suck against Kano