What's new

How am I supposed to stay motivated when I keep LOSING?

ill help you.
first and foremost you allow your opponent to initiate offence, you block something and you just keep walking around.
its alright to do this sometimes but you need to be more assertive take action, instead of waiting around use your frames and punish.
when you block something start your own offence.
many times you would just keep walking around as if your scared to attack or nor sure what you want to do or how.
i don't think it will take that mush for you do start doing well just need to have an idea of what you want to do.

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
Alot of the time (against deathstroke mainly) I'm under blockstun so long, (frame disadvantage) that my strings don't come out, and a lot of the time I get punished for pushing buttons, I guess getting TOD all the damn time in Marvel makes me think twice about trying to punish people.

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
I think I may have to switch to Black Adam, Batman has too many faults to be usable.

It's so dumb that a forward dash's recovery is so long that you can't block it , so zoning tools still hit me on the way in, the amount of frustration I have had during these last two sets were unbelievable.

Them Batman loses his trait after a single fucking touch -_-

Don't mean to complain but damn I'm pissed after that one.

What's the learning curve.

Dizz_88

Noob
Maybe I'm just not cut out for this genre lol.
How are you losing? Injustice was made for scrubs and there is no fundamentals in the game. All you have to do is pick up a top tier braindead character like Super-Man or Black Adam and you'll be good to go. Make sure you do lots of jump in attacks and don't worry about footsies cause they don't really exist in IGAU.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
When I played Espio one time in a koth...I finally landed this swag 2 bar GL combo on him. He won anyway. I was on the mic so I said "I don't give a FUCK! I landed that combo on you so that's a win in my book!" *drops mic and walks away(to the back of the koth line). It takes a long time to get good at any game you play. Your gratification doesn't come as quickly sometimes. Know how many times I wanted to just quit Dark Souls just because of the AI in that game? I didn't, and now I'm very comfortable playing the game. Also if this is your first FG its definitely going to be rough.
Dark Souls, the most frustrating and infuriating game known to man next to Castlevania and Mega Man, which I still say those are easier than Dark Souls.

As many had said in here, you have to lose to learn. Giving up is the scrub's way and if you want to become competitive you have to work for it. Take your time the community isn't going anywhere anytime soon and we love to help each other out. FGs take more skill than I originally thought when I first started to compete, which isn't that long ago. I jumped in anyway and since then I have learned so much from my PTH buddies. I get bodied all the time, but instead of letting the emotions get me I think back and consider, WTF could I have done better. The first step is controlling your emotions, the next step is learning your character(s). You need to understand your character(s) so well to the point that you could swear they are a close friend or relative. You sound like I did back in the day who hated losing all the time. I had many moments when I had felt I was never gonna be good at this game or any other FGs out there, but I just kept trying and kept playing. When I first started playing against my PTH buddies they ran damn circles around me, now I am actually going toe to toe with them and giving them hell every step of the way.

As Killphil said I play Dark Souls as well (a true test of patientce) as IGAU and in that game there are numerous times I almost said FUCK IT!!! But I refuse to be beaten by a game and never gave up on both IGAU and Dark Souls and now I play Dark Souls just for fun and laugh every step of the way and it is one of the most deep and gratifying games you may ever play. On IGAU when I go online it has become one the of greatest feelings ever to beat a player who likes to say on his mic "Great a HG spammer", " HG who the Fuck plays HG", "Heh this guys is gonna be a push over" and then after those matches I get pure silence on their side.

So, I guess what I mean hang in there and always give it your all and practice hard like you are facing crunch time in a tourney and you will soon become an ultimate badass!!!

Anytime you wish to spar add me on PSN and hit me up anytime The-Spore666.

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
How are you losing? Injustice was made for scrubs and there is no fundamentals in the game. All you have to do is pick up a top tier braindead character like Super-Man or Black Adam and you'll be good to go. Make sure you do lots of jump in attacks and don't worry about footsies cause they don't really exist in IGAU.
Not really, of that were true random ass players would be placing, but that isn't the case.

I'm WAS using Batman(no more, fuck that I go early tried.) but here is what I experience.

1.his Strings are already Close range, getting in is a must, but the fucking trait dissapearing off of any stray hit, or worse misses the character entirely making his entire trait useless.

2. Without any air dash or way to cancel my ground dash, while trying to cover distance is ridiculous, borderline impossible to not take repeated projectile damage, or a good amount of chip damage or MB specials that hit over head(this also sucks because not being able to crouch to block make me lose any distance I gained respecting the my special.

3. No safe block strings that lead to another safe block string.

4. Not a power character, certain maps are just insane with interactables.

5.hard to land a hit*

6.in block stun so long that the moves animation I finished yet instill ant press anything(Deathstroke players I'm looking at you)

I think like another poster Sao relies in my jars tee choice, I wil never pick the top 3 characters in a fighting game from now on. When I first started I was playin Superman, but had no where near the frautration I am having with Batman.

I need to stop playin for the night, tommorow I will chose a character that isnuother on the tier list and see who suits me best, most likely Superman, Black Adam, or any other really good characters.

PS:ignore any typos, (it's a bitch edit on a phone.)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think I may have to switch to Black Adam, Batman has too many faults to be usable
Ok, so from what I am gathering, here is your main issue:

You are focusing mainly on your character's weaknesses, and not on his strengths. You have not yet learned to ABUSE what the game's characters were designed to do best.

So starting today, we are going to begin to change your psychology/mindset. You will become a killer. In order to do that, you need to realize 2 things:

1) Fighting games, for the most part, were never meant to be a "fair" fight. Doubly so when it comes to games in the Mortal Kombat family. What that means is that, most 'good' characters (and yes, regardless of what you say, Batman is a great character) have a couple of strong qualities that give them large advantages in certain situations. You need to tap into those strengths, become ridiculously familiar with them, and make them the main part of your offense.

2) Other people are making use of those strengths and winning with them. There are plenty of successful Batman players out there. So if you aren't winning, that means one thing; you aren't doing what they're doing. How do you solve that? You go watch what they're doing to win, over and over, and you steal it and do it yourself. If you don't understand it, you read what people are writing, or you ask people to help break it down for you.

If you do not learn to utilize these two principles, it's not going to matter which character you pick; you're going to get beat down by people who know and live by 1) and/or 2).

Don't give in to weak-minded beliefs; learn to think like a winner, practice like one, and you will be on the road toward becoming one.

In addition to this, start to learn why people care about footsies, spacing, poking, frame data, setups, oki and yomi -- and start to learn to see when other people make use of these things to put themselves at an advantage.

Every battle you fight starts in your own mind.

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
So specifically, where do I go from here, I'm lost, just like the end of my matches! *budum chsk.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So specifically, where do I go from here, I'm lost, just like the end of my matches! *budum chsk.
Start collecting 'tape'. Stick with batman for now, start watching footage of good tournament players, and see what they do. Steal it. Read about it if you don't understand it. Ask for help.

There are hundreds of hours of archived tournament footage all over Twitch and Youtube, from the game's first weeks all the way to now. Learn to abuse Batman's main strengths:

-Hitbox on his jumping 2 (especially for crossovers and air-to-airs)
-His ability to control the air in general
-The insane offensive pressure he gets from using his trait as much as possible, and how he can use it to make things safe
-His oki game; it's ridiculous. Learn which enders put you at the most advantage (like his Air Grapple) and how to confuse and exploit people after a hard knockdown. Learn how to destroy people in the corner.
-The sheer amount of stuff he can put onscreen at once. Watch how people use Batarangs, ex Batarangs, and Trait bats to stifle their opponents.

But don't just try it out; watch and read about how people do these things, and copy the heck out of the stuff that works for them. See when they attack, when they counterattack, when they block, and what distances they like to put themselves at. See how they open people up and how they land the first hit. Etc.

Wasted

Noob
Not really, of that were true random ass players would be placing, but that isn't the case.

I'm WAS using Batman(no more, fuck that I go early tried.) but here is what I experience.

1.his Strings are already Close range, getting in is a must, but the fucking trait dissapearing off of any stray hit, or worse misses the character entirely making his entire trait useless.

Projectiles don't have to hit someone. They're meant to cut off part of the screen and keep the opponent relatively in their current space. As long as that is done, your bats are never useless. If they push block, then that's a resource you've stolen from them.

2. Without any air dash or way to cancel my ground dash, while trying to cover distance is ridiculous, borderline impossible to not take repeated projectile damage, or a good amount of chip damage or MB specials that hit over head(this also sucks because not being able to crouch to block make me lose any distance I gained respecting the my special.

PS:ignore any typos, (it's a bitch edit on a phone.)
There are only like, four characters in the game with an air dash. You don't need to block low during zoning unless you're fighting against Adam, Nightwing or Deathstroke. Stuff like Aquaman's From the Deep, Frost's icicles and Manhunters pillars are all mid. Most projectiles in the game are high, overhead or mid, so you can block most of them standing. Low projectiles are rare.

Wasted

Noob
3. No safe block strings that lead to another safe block string.
True blockstrings are overrated. Bruce has many safe block strings.

4. Not a power character, certain maps are just insane with interactables.
Gadget characters are more than able to abuse interactables. There are several maps that benefit gadget characters more than power characters. Part of being a gadget character involves destroying things that power characters can use (atlantis globes for example).

5.hard to land a hit*
Batman has so many high/low/overhead options it's a bit silly.

6.in block stun so long that the moves animation I finished yet instill ant press anything(Deathstroke players I'm looking at you)
Not sure what this means. If the animation has "finished", but your input isn't coming out, then you're still in block stun. Hit the lab and work out when you actually need to do your input (For reversals, I assume?).

I think like another poster Sao relies in my jars tee choice, I wil never pick the top 3 characters in a fighting game from now on. When I first started I was playin Superman, but had no where near the frautration I am having with Batman.
That's because Superman is braindead and requires very few moves to become somewhat decent.

I need to stop playin for the night, tommorow I will chose a character that isnuother on the tier list and see who suits me best, most likely Superman, Black Adam, or any other really good characters.
Please don't. Pick someone who you're comfortable with. You won't advance as much as possible if you simply pick someone who's powerful and don't make any sort of connection with. I mean, sure, if you really do click with Supes or Adam more than Bats, go ahead, but don't pick them up simply expecting to faceroll people consistently.

The only thing I would add is that Batman has strong anti-zoning, if you use his grapple properly. Use it to pull your opponent in close where you can do some hand-to-hand. Batarangs also punish zoners. And remember, you can use the trait bats to block for you! I have found his double jump to be no good because he hangs there so long that your opponent just AA's you. However, you also need to remember that you are playing a human being, not their character. Jump over them, maybe a few times to confuse them, then him 'em with a throw or the mid-screen interactable. That jumping back and forth is a form of footsie, if you use it right.

Hope that is helpful.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
There is however one thing I didn't see mentioned in here, but there is a phrase from the Art of War (and I will not recite the author's name for I know damn well I will spell wrong), " Know thy self and Know thy enemy". Don't just play with Batman all of the time, explore the entire cast and if say a certain character is giving your hell, learn that character a bit and try to understand that characetr as well, for it will teach you their weaknesses and you will better understand the mind set of an opponent, because you know their limitations and you know their stregnths. For example, when I started this game Aquaman and Deathstroke gave me pure hell, so instead of giving up I sat down and learned a good amount on using them to find what I can do to defeat them, this will help believe me.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
First step is to get use to blocking, get used to playing defensive before you play offensive, know yoyrs Ops Char, know if theres and low or Oh coming next, once ya get a grips on how chars fight, you will then up your agme, i promise

and lol at the dude saying this game takes Zero skills, win a Tournament if its so easy , go to Evo its free wins all day, SMH

If you are really new with fighting games then go play good people who can tell you what you do wrong and move on from there.

BTW: its not always about getting in and pressing buttons. batman has great zoning with batarangs which you can meter burn in their face, trait, b23 to gtfo when opponent is around that distance(which means space your b23 string) and instant air crack.

basic things on getting in:
- meter burn batarangs gives big advantage on block
- bat management, never let the bats charge, every time a bat is available you activate it. this allows you to have trait at almost all times.

You have a lot of day 1 tricks that are still usefull like b23 into meter burn batarang or throw out a grapple and follow it up with trait if it gets blocked.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
I'm not even motivated to play this game and i keep winning.
There's too many questionable stupid things in the game like breath 0, cat claws -7

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
One way to stay motivated is to play a character that you enjoy playing whether you win or lose. Good example would be when i played Solomon Grundy i would continue to lose to my friends Deathstroke everyday the final score would be around 30-2 with my friend winning the 30 games. After a while i began to give up because no matter how much i tried or how well i block it didnt seem to really matter. Thats when i went into Character Crisis mode and began playing around with the entire cast. Thats when i found Shazam. Once i started Maining Shazam it didnt matter at that point whether i won or lost since im having fun with the game again and thats the point.

TL.DR Play a character that you have fun with whether you win or lose.

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
Another thing, when I try to apply my oki game, they get stuffed out by wakeup attacks, even if I have my trait out they will miss my opponent entirely sometimes, and unless I'm on the corner it is hard to meaty my jump 2. I would like to mix it up with b112, b113, 123, and 223, but it is hard to get close enough to use my b1 since the range is so short and alot of my strings get interrupted, which leads to punishes for full combos.

Another on my own wake up game I just block because I'm not risking a full combo, but it's 50/50 because I can get hit. High or low to full combos, and cross up jumping attacks.

I have my BNB down, my execution with my character isn't a problem it's is the defensive side of the game that is bothering me. Maybe it is because I never use d1? Since I need to use faster moves to get outbid situations, like I said earlier it feels like I'm in blocks run forever that my b23 refuses to come out so no more, either d1, or a fast string.

Since I'm off today I'll post some more gameplay, hopefully with better lighting.

Ignore typos and words that don't make any sense iPhone auto correct literally changes 80% of my words -___-.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
When it comes to wakeup attacks thats when the guessing game kinda happens where you need to guess if they are going to do a wakeup attack and then you need to block and hopefully Punish the wakeup. Your playing Batman so your wakeup options if memory serves consists of the unsafe slide. Im sorry :(. When it comes to blocking practice really does make perfect. If something is confusing you ask your friend about the string. IE: Frame data, Low, Overhead, Etc. The way i got better at blocking was learning to block Batman in the Demo of the game. Good times. Good Times.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Youre Batman right? Why not use bats rush in and either crossup j2 or B1 I haven't played Batman since release but that alone can get you pretty far.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for this genre lol.
Maybe you should start asking yourself how much do you really like this game. Because if you really like a game you will not lose your motivation to improve ESPECIALLY if you keep losing. Things like "Maybe I'm just not cut out for this genre" are bullshit if you ask me. Sure, some learn faster than others, but that's not so important. The important thing is the will to learn. If you really like a game, you gonna have will to improve :)