What's new

How am I supposed to stay motivated when I keep LOSING?

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Just play killer frost and slide.

this game is mindless and takes zero skill. MK9 has footsies and honestly great gameplay. Give that a go, dont let a casual mashy game ruin your experience with the FGC.

I have fun losing to most good players ("most" b/c there are ppl who're a-holes about being better/winning) b/c it's exciting to try and beat them, even if it's a gauntlet of matches to get take just one game.

Then again this was me in MK where I knew what I was doing and not Injustice, since I have no idea what I'm doing in the game to be a decent/fun opponent.

Jeffreys

Grundy think you handsome!
Here are a few steps to help you succeed,

1. Be a lab monster, you really need to spend hours and hours on your character.

2. You need to learn combos for every situation, and in the process to either squeeze out the most damage possible, or put yourself at a positional advantage.

3. While the online scene may contain people that do far more scrubby tactics, it is important to learn what to do in that situation by going in the lab and recording the AI to mimic what you couldn't deal with and how to punish it and use it to your advantage.

4. If you think you are predictable then you definitely are, go to the lab and learn things that put you at advantage and can confuse your opponent. For example; if you play batman and your number one goal is J2- then sure you may win some matches against some people but then you go up against Aquaman and get destroyed by his anti air. Jump ins will probably get even weaker as people get used to it and as patches increase the effectiveness of anti airs.

5. Watch people better than you and see how they react to different situations, the best thing about fighting games is that people always come out with new tech- whether they reveal it on the forums or show it in tournaments, and if the information is out there and you don't use it then you have no one to blame but yourself.

6. This is just a game in the end, and losing is part of life. Yeah you may lose alot- but your mentality after the match determines if you will succeed or not. If someone shoots guns over and over against you and you can't beat it, or if you keep getting demolished by a tactic then put it in practice mode and figure out your options.

Also since this is TYM this thoughtful post would not be complete without this important thought

7. All Black Adam players are scumbags

:)

Stay positive. Each loss will help you get better in the long run. You lose now, but learn from each loss, focus on what you did wrong and try to learn from it. This will help you eventually start to win in the long run. The only way to really get better is to play and unfortunately everyone learns things at different paces so it might take you awhile to get where you want to be.

Just remember if you lose too much you can always come on TYM and post a thread requesting buffs and nerfs to all characters in the game. Most of the top players of the community do this, make sure to also mention that you will retire unless these buffs and nerfs are implemented ASAP. Oh and throw in some digs about how Mortal Kombat 9 is the most skillful game to ever come out this generation.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The only actual time you should be focusing on winning is when you are competing in a tournament. Otherwise, just play to learn stuff. Experiment with different playstyles, focus on dealing with what's causing you problems, and learning to play more patient and pick better spots.

Wins come over time, if you put in the work to get better.

DarkPage

Noob
I've felt the same way man, honestly you just gotta bite the bullet pick up a decent character not necessarily top tier but just "able" and learn to get over that defeated feeling when well you're defeated

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
couple of things to help u , get a new pad the x box pad doesnt work for fighters imo
pick someone with a relatively easy playstyle ie gl or superman
learn one combo for every situation eg; air to air , anti air , punisher combo , bnb ,
practice practice practice ,
if your losing all the time play a couple of randoms to get your confidence back then look for people who u know u go even with , youll have more fun losing if u know what theyre doin to beat u

A New Angel Is Advent

mutton basher
If you don't like spending more time in the lab than playing, or seeking out people to meet and play then you are probably right about not being cut out for the genre. Unless the random super animation is hype enough to make you feel rewarded, which is cool too

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
If this was a tourneyment I already would be sent home.
at the tourneyment we wouldn't send you home. We would encourage you to stay around and level up.

MK community and IGAU community are really good at casuals. No high level player (except for maybe Chris G because hes too busy at tournaments) refuses to play casuals with anybody. They are really good guys who will try to teach you if you're really getting stuck.

Deyrax

Skarlet who ?
Pfft. Seems the problem lies in your character. When I lose, I get motivated even more, trying to find that person again and beat the crap out of him. Hell, when I started playing DoA 5 (and I have never played those games before) and was just learning, I ran into some guy who obviously knew his shit while I barely did. We were fighting like for 2 hours non-stop, played probably more than 40 matches and I won only 1 ! A freaking 1 match out of 40 and it didn't stop me. There were so many close moments when I clearly had the match, but not knowing the game enough and him mashing holds as crazy still made me lose and I was as salty as Red Sea during those moments. Never give up and always try to find a way around those people. You just don't allow some happy Joes to throw their weight around, bub.

That aquaman in the video you posted was only going for a low combo and was not hit confirming, so you could have blocked and punished him every time btw.

Maybe find someone who is at the same level as you. Some of the best times I have had with UMK3 was with my housemates who were close to my level and fights would always be pretty close.

Learning new juggles and setups, then landing them in real fights can also be motivating. A lot of online players, myself included, learn a few combos and never bother trying to improve beyond that. I started having more fun when I was landing combos that used interactables in the middle of them, so you could try that?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
FGC_Chukz To win at fighting games you have to put in work. Why? Because the other people playing the game are putting in work to learn to fight better. If you could just show up and win all the time without having to learn your way up the ladder, it wouldn't be that great of a game or community.

The key though is to work smart; find out what's really effective, and start doing that. The information is out there; it's in streams, Youtube videos, threads, guides etc.

Fighting games are great for people who want a challenge -- so be prepared to have to challenge yourself to beat good players. But that's also why the sense of accomplishment from learning to play is so amazing :)

You be the judge.

Doesn't matter, when I block I get hit the way I wasn't blocking, and when I mid a string I get punished.

If this was a tourneyment I already would be sent home.
That was a close game, and even entertaining to watch. Which I dont often say for matches that have Jumpman in it.

So yeah, its a loss, but if you didnt have fun with that one, then I would suggest you quit the genre.

Keep training.
If you like the game and rly want to get better keep training and playing.
Look I just started playing KoF13 and having a winning rate of 15%.
Oh well, but it's a great 2D fighting game which I do enjoy playing, so I keep training and playing no matter how many times I lose
I will always stay motivated because I want to get better lol.