What's new

Hot Take: Third variations will have little to no effect on the meta

Will third variations have an impact on the meta?

• Total voters

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
This update might be the worst patch I've ever seen for a FG.

Tech and playstyle variety potential is at an all time low.

You still can't compete at the highest level if you aren't an auto-shimmy/oki-throw/9-11f mid character

Most of these new variations are certified garbage

Movement is still broken and completely destroys the neutral game

Jumping is still too good and completely destroys the neutral game

This game is literally auto-shimmy/oki throw/fast mid turn based Kombat. We're playing toned down MKX. It's baffling to me that NRS are really into this game as it stands. It's legit the worst fighting game I've ever played and it drives me even more nuts people on this site and elsewhere are gobbling it up when it could be so much more. The game feels really minimum effort.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This update might be the worst patch I've ever seen for a FG.

Tech and playstyle variety potential is at an all time low.

You still can't compete at the highest level if you aren't an auto-shimmy/oki-throw/9-11f mid character

Most of these new variations are certified garbage

Movement is still broken and completely destroys the neutral game

Jumping is still too good and completely destroys the neutral game

This game is literally auto-shimmy/oki throw/fast mid turn based Kombat. We're playing toned down MKX. It's baffling to me that NRS are really into this game as it stands. It's legit the worst fighting game I've ever played and it drives me even more nuts people on this site and elsewhere are gobbling it up when it could be so much more. The game feels really minimum effort.
Worst patch ever for a fighting game?

We’ve had infinitely worse patches just in MKX and Injustice alone. Come on dude.

I get that you have some issues with the game, but this looks beyond desperate now.

Gamer68

Fujin!
It's legit the worst fighting game I've ever played and it drives me even more nuts people on this site and elsewhere are gobbling it up when it could be so much more.
Worse than all past MKs -- including MK4?

Worse than Injustice 1?

Worse than launch SFV?

Worse than MvCI?

Worse than Smash Brawl!?

Worse than the FGs so bad we can't even remember them?

I have my problems with the game, but I don't think it's THAT BAD.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I feel like the Meta of a game changes over time naturally anyways. Adding some new variations could potentially give characters new answers to the current meta, which would then force a shift. So yeah, I think it'll change the meta. Probably not going to turn the game on it's head or anything, but it'll have an impact for sure.
This seems obvious and it’s jarring that he made the thread anyway.

Derico

Banned
Im worried this game will die premature...

Im having fun with friends, we are hardcore players, but i can feel why the pros are upset.

Almost forgot, want a fuc**** solid neutral game? Play Samsho! What a game!

Mk11 is what it is.

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Gonna go out on a limb here and say this Hot Take didn't age well.
I knew even without the patch the meta changes naturally over time but even adding variations of mediocre abilities would no doubt change the meta. But it turns out many of the 3rd variations are very good almost every single one is viable.
My favorite is Final Judgment Terminator

kcd117

Noob
I’m surprised I didn’t see Buluc Kotal. I think that variation is OD and was expecting it to be used a lot in this tournament.