What's new

'Hopefully, if we’ve done our job right, we’ll have left our fans still wanting more' - and we're always ready to take their money!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
you think criticizing having to pay for frame data is silly?
Should frame data have been in the game from the beginning? Yes.

Should people cause an uproar on social media because of $5? No.

Namco (and Warner Brothers) pay their employees to design and implement these features. Nobody works for free.

But I am not excusing the Aftermath prices, which are expensive. I wish we could choose what to buy. I would have bought all the characters and the costumes but not the story expansion. I do not play fighting games for the story. That is what single-player games are for in my opinion.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I would have bought all the characters and the costumes but not the story expansion. I do not play fighting games for the story. That is what single-player games are for in my opinion.
You will be able to, in the following weeks.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Obviously it's overpriced like their DLC always has been. I've been extremely critical over their DLC practices, which I stand by for the most part.

I do think there's one thing to be said in their favor though. I think of video game prices as how much money you're paying for how many hours you will have fun with the game. If you're gonna play the story once, and plan on playing one or more of these characters, this could really add a ton of extra play time for MK11. Not to mention, it will probably come with a balance patch, that plus the new characters will remix the meta and give people tons of new stuff to play and learn. Will I buy it? No. Is it the worst DLC I've ever seen? No. I can understand why people are excited for it. If you could see yourself playing a lot of MK11 for another year, Aftermath seems like a no brainer. Basically, if you're like me and don't like MK11, play games you like instead.

Also, complete editions, GOTY editions, etc. have always been a thing and always have been better value. Consumers are always rewarded for waiting in gaming, but for a competitive fighting game, they are at a disadvantage being a year behind, so there's that. The pricing of Kombat Pack 1 and the mobile game like micro transactions are far more egregious pieces of DLC than Aftermath imo. Also come on guys, not liking this doesn't mean you're broke. There's a big difference between not having 40 bucks and not wanting to spend 40 bucks on something you don't believe is worth it, which is fine as long as you're not a dick about it.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Almost everyone in this thread is a complete moron.

Aftermath is tremendous value at $40usd
  • 100% Free Update
    • Free Stages
    • Free Friendships
    • Free Stage Fatalities
  • 3 Characters 8,8,8 (24)
  • 1 Story Mode (10)
  • 3 Skins Packs 2, 2, 2 (6)
How can anyone think different... I just made those ratios up.. but we are talking
  • 5-10 bucks a Character
  • 10-15 for story mode
  • 1-5 for the skin packs.
Anyone saying this DLC is over priced is just an absolute example of cancel culture and gamer entitlement. You do not think they should be allowed to charge 10 fucking dollars for all those of employees working full time for MONTHS and paying those named actors all that cash for making the new story mode?.. You do not think it is worth 2 bucks a skin pack for those artists, or 8 bucks for a character that takes literally around a year to be produced? Hire warehouse of motion capture equipment, actors and more?

How much money do you make in a year? What exactly do you think 40 bucks is worth in the real world. I bet you all spent more than that last time you went to a coffee shop to get a long black and sandwich for you and your wife.

It is just unbelievable to me, not only how selfish and self important some gamers are, thinking that companies should make AAA games but then charge literally nothing for them, I mean that is just pathetic... but the complete lack of understanding how the world works and the amount of money it takes to make this kind of content also makes these people look so stupid. I mean, ridiculously fucking stupid. As in I am not even angry or taken back, I just feel sorry for you as it must be so hard to walk around and breath without accidentally stepping in front of a train type of stupid that these people must be. Seriously. Some of the posters in this thread need a goFundMe as you are actually handicapped and probably need help.

Also, if you do not want to pay, they still offered a bunch of cool free content!!

I mean WTF are you complaining about, morons.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous

• 100% Free Update
    • Free Stages
    • Free Friendships
    • Free Stage Fatalities
  • 1 Story Mode (10)
How can anyone think different... I just made those ratios up.. but we are talking
  • 5-10 bucks a Character
  • 10-15 for story mode
Anyone saying this DLC is over priced is just an absolute example of cancel culture and gamer entitlement. You do not think they should be allowed to charge 10 fucking dollars for all those of employees working full time for MONTHS and paying those named actors all that cash for making the new story mode?.. You do not think it is worth 2 bucks a skin pack for those artists, or 8 bucks for a character that takes literally around a year to be produced? Hire warehouse of motion capture equipment, actors and more?

How much money do you make in a year? What exactly do you think 40 bucks is worth in the real world. I bet you all spent more than that last time you went to a coffee shop to get a long black and sandwich for you and your wife.

It is just unbelievable to me, not only how selfish and self important some gamers are, thinking that companies should make AAA games but then charge literally nothing for them, I mean that is just pathetic... but the complete lack of understanding how the world works and the amount of money it takes to make this kind of content also makes these people look so stupid. I mean, ridiculously fucking stupid. As in I am not even angry or taken back, I just feel sorry for you as it must be so hard to walk around and breath without accidentally stepping in front of a train type of stupid that these people must be. Seriously. Some of the posters in this thread need a goFundMe as you are actually handicapped and probably need help.

Also, if you do not want to pay, they still offered a bunch of cool free content!!

Last edited:

• 100% Free Update
    • Free Stages
    • Free Friendships
    • Free Stage Fatalities
  • 1 Story Mode (10)
  • 5-10 bucks a Character
  • 10-15 for story mode

First of all , if u take a nice look at kp1 ul notice that aftermath is overpriced . Not by much (like 5-10$ ) but IT STILL IS . Secondly , not everyone lives in america , has a high salary or even a job to be considered a greedy moron by your standards. Most of people will still pay , character here and there or even a whole thing but dont spill shit here that ITS TRAMENDOUS VALUE when it clearly isnt (at least for people that buy only aftermath) . Calling people stupid or retarded for voicing theyr oppinion is wrong , even if they might be .

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.

• 100% Free Update
    • Free Stages
    • Free Friendships
    • Free Stage Fatalities
  • 1 Story Mode (10)
  • 5-10 bucks a Character
  • 10-15 for story mode

yep, exactly my thoughts .... some buddies spend more in trash junk food by week than in games by month, and next, come up screaming that MK11 DLC is overpriced as fuck, lol ! :joker:

just cut off half of the burgers you consume this month, that you can save money for the Aftermath, right ? hehe :DOGE

It's like buying a new car and driving it off the lot right after, but then finding out that the rearview mirrors weren't included because the manufacturer was still working on them. Don't worry though you can drive back to the lot and have them tacked on for a supplemental fee, and if you don't want to pay extra the engine still works so what are you complaining about.
Respectfully, this isn't a very good analogy.

I think a better one would be, you buy a new car and drive it home, and it has everything included in it that you agreed to pay for on that day. The car manufacturer has already begun working on next year's model. You then use it and drive it around town for over a year, putting mileage on it and enjoying it. The car lot comes out with next year's model about a year later with a few minor upgrades. You drive back to the dealership frustrated, demanding to get these upgrades at a significant discount simply because you have purchased from them before.

Can you see why that is unreasonable? The car manufacturer didn't hold anything back from you when they sold you the car, that was the deal the two parties agreed upon at that time. They have things going on in the background for improvements on next years model. All they can do is sell you the best car they had at the time you made the purchase. Neither party has done anything wrong. You got what you paid for, and they then use that money to fund further development on next year's model.

Technology advances, things improve. It's just the way it is. Both parties got a fair deal. You got to drive that car for over a year, which is what you paid for.

The version we all bought at launch was a price we all agreed to pay, and at the time it was everything NRS had developed thus far. Anything created after that shouldn't be expected cheaper or free just because we were early adopters. That is where the entitlement feeling comes from. After our initial purchase, anything else is negotiated in a new deal for the work that they have done after the game came out. Really the only alternative to not upset people is to just not make DLC at all, because it doesn't matter how companies do it, unless it's always free people feel like they are being ripped off (which they are not, so that is an issue with them.)

Last edited:

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
I get it. I too drool for Havik, except I don't let that take away my enjoyment. Will I be disappointed if the removed assist turns out to be a big pile of nothing? Sure. But I'll keep playing and keep thinking it's a great game.
Yeah same here, i mained Kabal and Liu Kang and still keep playing mk11. Working on Shang Tsung too. But the main character is a different taste as you mentioned.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Do these considerations still matter anyways when we look at the way NRS and WB treated the people who actually worked on developing the base game? Allegedly subjecting them to poor conditions and dangling long-term employment in front of them so that they'd meet unreasonable deadlines and then cutting them loose with no consequence? Not to me, they clearly cut corners with the development of this game. If I really felt like this was "giving the animators and essential staff members their hard earned pay" or something then I'd be more on board, but it clearly isn't so I'm not.

Also, can we stop pretending that video games necessarily HAVE to lose value over time in the same way that a car or some other physical property does? There's no degradation, there's no loss of half the value the moment you drive it off the lot. If the support for the game is okay or if the mechanics hold up down the line, and for multiplayer games on these bases it should retain a loyal userbase, then the value should be the same. Actually no, the value should be higher. Suggesting the new players are basically paying for some "outdated model" implies that what we were getting was top of the line initially, when in reality the dev cycle for games means that what new players are getting now is both a superior product AND a lower price. Does that really make sense? Pay higher price because you supported the product from the outset, and now you're slapped with additional fees because warier buyers waited? Why would it be crazy to give some kind of discount on this content to the people who paid exorbitant launch prices? How is it "entitlement" to suggest that it kinda makes sense to incentivize the day-1 dedicated userbase who paid more for a shoddier product?

People saying stuff like "you deserve it for buying early lol, this is the industry standard, stop being entitled" have an incomprehensible view of this industry and of getting value for what you pay for to me. Hoping that the devs and publishers of a franchise that you've loved for a long time might adhere to more ethical practices isn't "stupid," its normative and positive and ideally a push for better standards. And imo everyone now smugly saying "should have voted with your wallet idiot, I actually DON'T think it's realistic to hold companies to higher standards ever" isn't helping anyone.
Yeah, crunch time is typical in this type of work. I've been through it plenty of times myself. In fact, at my job we are going through it now. We just got a beta out and now we are working towards launch. Though it sucks that some of those NRS employees left the company, I can almost asure you that their unemployment was short lived. In this industry, we get spammed with tech recruitment emails which can quickly lead to job offers. All you need to do is have a great personality and pass the dreaded tech exams lol!

My gmail is literally teaming with tech recruitment messages. But yeah, I get it. Some people feel as though they got a raw deal seeing how the Kollection edition is basically 80.00 less than what they paid for the Premium edition. Let alone what is being asked for the Expansion. But software rarely goes up in value, specifically digital content. I'm not quite sold on your analogy that you referenced in your post. But, you are right, they could have offered a discounted rate for Premium edition owners.

10.00 off would seem like a fair deal. But remember, these DLC prices are not just made up numbers. They likely had to sit through many, many meetings going over the budget for the work and the amount needed to cover the expenses and make a profit. Investors are looking at that sweet, sweet R.O.I. If it looks bad, they will pull out and then WB/NRS will start the layoff process.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I sometimes feel surrounded by idiots that don't question anything and by doing so make everything worse for everyone.
You're right. We shouldn't buy the next MK game until the price drops to 20 bucks, and not buy a single dlc pack until it's 5 bucks. This will definitely motivate WB to give NRS a higher budget next time, and not put MK on ice indefinitely.

LOL. Well-said. I feel the same way.

I tend to stay away from discussions about prices. The reality is that some people have more cash in their pockets than others while some people rarely play anything that is not Mortal Kombat so they save up in order to purchase all the content. The discussion is subjective in nature.

I guess in order to give people some perspective, I remember when Namco released the frame data add-on, a feature that NRS fighting games have had for free for the previous three games, for Tekken 7. The optional add-on costs five dollars, yet Harada and Murray received lots of criticism, which I thought was silly. Of course, there is a difference between five and forty dollars, especially now that 33 million people are unemployed in the U.S.

I do believe that these prices are too high, but animating the story mode costs a lot of money from what I hear and hence the high prices. Most players on this website are only interested in the characters anyway.
I believe that the price of the aftermath expansion is too much, but when I see the amount of content, the care, the love.....I want to be like scorpion hugging that teddy bear, and the teddy bear being NRS employees.
What they showed was simply amazing.....these guys are talented as fuck.
Being a 30 year old guy and seeing things like this....it is amazing.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
yep, exactly my thoughts .... some buddies spend more in trash junk food by week than in games by month, and next, come up screaming that MK11 DLC is overpriced as fuck, lol ! :joker:

just cut off half of the burgers you consume this month, that you can save money for the Aftermath, right ? hehe :DOGE
I will keep my hamburgers. I hate playing videogamez if i am hungry.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I am a part of so many different FGC communities, and I gotta say it really is true when people say NRS players complain the most.

Yo we got an unprecedented 2nd story mode, more characters coming, almost certainly a big balance patch on the horizon? More stages (TALK TO FUCKING DBFZ COMMUNITY ABOUT MORE STAGES HUH), friendships, etc.

All I hear is bitch bitch bitch, its completely fucking pathetic.

Even SFV fans are more chipper than the people here on TYM, and they got it way fucking worse than MK11 players.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I am a part of so many different FGC communities, and I gotta say it really is true when people say NRS players complain the most.

Yo we got an unprecedented 2nd story mode, more characters coming, almost certainly a big balance patch on the horizon? More stages (TALK TO FUCKING DBFZ COMMUNITY ABOUT MORE STAGES HUH), friendships, etc.

Even SFV fans are more chipper than the people here on TYM, and they got it way fucking worse than MK11 players.
Stay away from Apex Legends, Cod, warframe, and Rainbow six siege, Plants vs zombies Battle for neighborvill, forza Horizion 4, and Rocket league then.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Respectfully, this isn't a very good analogy.

I think a better one would be, you buy a new car and drive it home, and it has everything included in it that you agreed to pay for on that day. The car manufacturer has already begun working on next year's model. You then use it and drive it around town for over a year, putting mileage on it and enjoying it. The car lot comes out with next year's model about a year later with a few minor upgrades. You drive back to the dealership frustrated, demanding to get these upgrades at a significant discount simply because you have purchased from them before.

Can you see why that is unreasonable? The car manufacturer didn't hold anything back from you when they sold you the car, that was the deal the two parties agreed upon at that time. They have things going on in the background for improvements on next years model. All they can do is sell you the best car they had at the time you made the purchase. Neither party has done anything wrong. You got what you paid for, and they then use that money to fund further development on next year's model.

Technology advances, things improve. It's just the way it is. Both parties got a fair deal. You got to drive that car for over a year, which is what you paid for.

The version we all bought at launch was a price we all agreed to pay, and at the time it was everything NRS had developed thus far. Anything created after that shouldn't be expected cheaper or free just because we were early adopters. That is where the entitlement feeling comes from. After our initial purchase, anything else is negotiated in a new deal for the work that they have done after the game came out. Really the only alternative to not upset people is to just not make DLC at all, because it doesn't matter how companies do it, unless it's always free people feel like they are being ripped off (which they are not, so that is an issue with them.)
The reason that your analogy doesn't make sense is that the game's new patches and editions aren't strictly speaking a "new model." This is literally the exact product that we paid top dollar for up front, but with changes that correct older problems. The dev cycle isn't really like them putting out a new product, it's more like if the car didn't work great initially and so the manufacturer kept coming to your house and tweaking your engine for a year. Then, once the manufacturer figured out why the car didn't work great initially, they were able to use that knowledge to sell a more finished product but everyone who bought the earlier product later had to pay extra for the fixes. The fact that there is day-1 DLC for these games in and of itself speaks to their incompleteness, not the idea that with the DLC that the later edition is just a "better model" down the line.

The "technology" behind the game strictly speaking hasn't changed, and no one's saying that the benefit that everyone paid wasn't "getting to play it early." Clearly, what everyone's saying is that that value has stopped feeling worth it. Look at stuff like Kickstarter projects, were early investors get loads of extra content and time. The developers of projects like that pretty much always take care of early supporters, and the reason that publishers like WB don't care is because they feel like they don't have to care.

You're right. We shouldn't buy the next MK game until the price drops to 20 bucks, and not buy a single dlc pack until it's 5 bucks. This will definitely motivate WB to give NRS a higher budget next time, and not put MK on ice indefinitely.
We can't do this immediate heel turn between "vote with your wallet suckers" and "don't vote with your wallet, what if NRS doesn't get support from the publisher!" It's one or the other, and this basically suggests that we should all just take our lumps with whatever pricing model WB wants to put out.

If you're a part of so many different FGC communities then I'm sure you've been exposed to the ubiquitous criticisms of NRS titles by outsiders too. SFV fans and Tekken fans all seem to think that NRS games are shitty, and go out of their way to criticize flawed elements of them, but then when the fans of the series do the same they're shitty and entitled? Fuck that, come on man. Should we quietly sit and accept both whatever features and pricing models WB shoves down our throats AND just accept that other FG communities see the games as bad?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I am a die hard fan but i'm not paying for anything unless i see something i like.

O regretted buying armaggedon and was hella bored once konquest ended.

After that i skipped mk vs dcu, bought base copy of mk9 on release and the dlc after a full year passed.
Bought mkx on launch, dlc a year after, kp2 i bought at once.
Didn't paid for mk11 while i'm thankful for the offer i didn't bought kp1, though i bought every mk dkc char, i said Fok U to guests.

The offer are tempting, has a lot of things i like, but i will wait and see if the expansion ia worth, if not, i will just pass.

Hopefully some of you learn from this and never pay for shit you have no clue if its going to meet your perspective.

NRS has been good enough to get me to buy their stuff day 1, and that's it.

Tekken 7 its the only game i have pre-ordered anything related to it before release for 3 reasons.
Its an addicting game so it does not disappoint when it comes to game play.
It also allows me to mae revenue from the game, so anything i spend for the game i can earn back, so my attention to it is more valuable than mk11 currently.

The only thing jinxing it is the net code

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
do you ever post something that isnt trashing the game? after more then a year it gets old maybe time to move on?
I realize I'm way more negative than positive about MK11. When the game deserves credit, I give it, though. I'll admit that it's not very often. I was incredibly excited for this game and I am disappointed in what we got.

MK is my favorite game franchise of all time. Well, it's probably tied with Tekken, to be honest. I want to love MK11, I really do. At the end of the day, I spent my $100 on the premium version and I'm not happy with the product, so I'll voice my opinion here. I don't believe anything I've said to be false.

I don't like the direction NRS has taken this game. There isn't just one or two gripes, there's MANY.

So I can either just say nothing and go about my life without MK ever being part of it again, or I can voice my opinion on here and maybe some people will agree. I've loved every single NRS title to death. MK11 is boring to play and boring to watch for numerous reasons, in my opinion, and it bums me out.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
We can't do this immediate heel turn between "vote with your wallet suckers" and "don't vote with your wallet, what if NRS doesn't get support from the publisher!" It's one or the other, and this basically suggests that we should all just take our lumps with whatever pricing model WB wants to put out.
The problem is that publishers see it black and white like that.

Mass Effect Andromeda had a goal of 5 million units and it sold 2.5 million in the first few months. That didn't make EA reconsider how to approach the sequel, or how to better implement DLC. They flat out cancelled story DLC and put the IP on life support. Whether we like it or not, publishers work like that. They get greedy with the IP and want higher and higher sales numbers with any new iteration of the IP. If it doesn't meet their targets, they kill off the IP. It happened with Mass Effect, it happened with Dead Space, it happens with all AAA IPs.

That is why I believe that if most MK fans vote with their wallets and not buy the DLC asap, it won't make WB think 'Hmm, we got greedy - we better tell NRS to put more characters in the next DLC', they'll probably say "MK doesn't sell as well as we like - time to put the IP on life support and do something else. Tell NRS to start working on the WWE game".

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I realize I'm way more negative than positive about MK11. When the game deserves credit, I give it, though. I'll admit that it's not very often. I was incredibly excited for this game and I am disappointed in what we got.

MK is my favorite game franchise of all time. Well, it's probably tied with Tekken, to be honest. I want to love MK11, I really do. At the end of the day, I spent my $100 on the premium version and I'm not happy with the product, so I'll voice my opinion here. I don't believe anything I've said to be false.

I don't like the direction NRS has taken this game. There isn't just one or two gripes, there's MANY.

So I can either just say nothing and go about my life without MK ever being part of it again, or I can voice my opinion on here and maybe some people will agree. I've loved every single NRS title to death. MK11 is boring to play and boring to watch for numerous reasons, in my opinion, and it bums me out.
Fair enough, but for the people who do like the game it gets really annoying. I can use ignore button but for newer members reading all the negativity can shy them away from this site.