What's new

'Hopefully, if we’ve done our job right, we’ll have left our fans still wanting more' - and we're always ready to take their money!

After the first waves of hype died down, I really started to question whether or not I should by this expansion. Whenever there's an opportunity to milk the shit out of a franchise, WB Games are in the front row. But I still expected better from NRS.

Injustice 2 Ultimate Edition was a complete package. For 100 USD you got access to all characters and when the Legendary Edition was out, you got that latest update for free. It was the best deal ever from NRS. Those fans who joined 1 year later could still get the complete package for 60 USD but you could argue that UE was a good deal for instant access.

When MK11 was announced unexpectedly, the level of hype was insane. I did what I have never done before, I pre-ordered Premium Edition right away, not knowing what would I get for my money. I was loyal to my childhood favorite no matter what. By the time Shang was released you could buy Kombat Pack with a discount in the various summer sales. By that time, you had a better idea about the whole DLC schedule so you could wait even further with your purchase for even 50% off.

In hindsight, unfortunately NRS DLC is rarely worth it. I mostly use it to lab against the new characters but with the shining exception of Tremor I have never had a main among the DLC characters.

And here we are: first time in the NRS history, we have a story expansion with DLC characters but even in that case, NRS couldn't resist the urge to throw a guest in the spanners. It's a story DLC, the PR is all about the passionate fans who like the lore and their beloved characters more than anything else and we have an apparent stand in guest instead of Ash in the story package. Okay, let's give them the benefit of the doubt: it's for the die hard fans but WB and WB only wanted to get the attention of a broader audience with a well-know name so there's Robocop.

Anyways, it's for the loyal die hard fans. If you're a die hard fan, you definitely own MK11 by now. If you're die hard die hard, you have the Premium. So you've spent 60-100 USD for the game already. Now you'll get a lot of kontent (friendships, new stages, stage fatalities) for free. FYI: FOR FREE as Ed Boon tweeted out just for you to know.

But here's the catch dear loyal fan: the Expansion Package is 40 USD for you. The Aftermath Collection (including Premium Edition kontent) is 60 for those who have had little to no interest in MK11 so far.

I was never good at that but even I can do the math: I spent 100 USD for the Premium Edition and the expansion is 40 USD so I can get the whole package for 140 USD. Any newcomer can buy it for 60. It's less than FUCKING half. Are you kidding us?

That's what you get for your continuous support, you're milked like a cow. It's outrageous that there's no discount for the actual owners of the game.

I love MK11 but it feels like a robbery in plain sight. And as I quoted Dominic Cianciolo in the title, they expect us to want (and pay) more whenever the next Kombat Pack is announced for another 40 USD.

So FYI: FREE is already payed for.

Last edited:

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
It's less than FUCKING half. Are you kidding us?
after one year...you said yourself the combat pack got 50% sale in just a few month after its release so having 50% for the "complete" pack after a year seems normal under these circumstances.

i get why it seems unfair but at the end of the day vote with your wallet. buy it for the full price, wait for a sale, buy it from other countrys where its cheaper....you have several options.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Sadly they all do it now with dlc but it's good that nrs is offering something free with the may 26th update, now watch the friendships be hidden in KL...lol

But that all being said I feel the expansion should be 30 at most, anything more is pushing it. Let's hope story is at least 3 to 4 hours.

I would still buy their dlc for sure if the got rid of the garbage that is kombat league.

Last edited:

scarsunseen

RIP TYM 6/11/2021
Yeaaa.. paying an additional $40 for a game I already own and paid $100 for originally is steep. I really dislike this business model and will be waiting on this one. First time in my NRS game history. It feels like new players get a complete bargain while the more hardcore fans are a bank machine.

Lokheit

Noob
Exactly my thoughts. Exploiting loyalty like this is a bad look. Specially considering how dull what I got for 100 back in the day was. I love the MK universe but I'm not going to get milked like that.

I was hoping for something that got my interest back into the game, but 40 € for 3 characters and some cinematics I can watch on youtube isn't it. Not even by making the shreder armor preorder exclusive (big fu from NRS to the fans really).

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I'd rather them do this and we continue to get more content (If Aftermath does well then you can be sure as shit that we'll definitely get a KP2), but I do also agree, it is slightly steep.

Zviko

Noob
I was never good at that but even I can do the math: I spent 100 USD for the Premium Edition and the expansion is 40 USD so I can get the whole package for 140 USD. Any newcomer can buy it for 60. It's less than FUCKING half. Are you kidding us?
You are comparing Kollection edition now to Premium edition at release. It's been 13 months. It makes sense. It's like they give you the option at release, pay 100 now and get it all immediately with extra 40 1 year later for additional content or wait 1 year and get it all for 60. If they told you that would you wait 1 year? No you wouldn't.

And why are we acting like we didn't know there's gonna be an edition with all the content available in future for 60? Maybe because it happened before?

Just to clarify, I'm not defending the 40 price for Aftermath, I think it's bs. But what you are saying here makes no sense. I mean you could've waited 2 months, maybe not even that and get premium edition for 50% off, even more on some 3rd party sites. You can do the same with Aftermath expansion.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
... so .... what, you think that buying the game day 1 means that you must get all future dlc for free?

It's simple, really. Buy game day one for 60-100 bucks, depending on the edition ...

Or buy it months or years later at a better price. That's how it always worked.

Edit: Holy-shit at the entitlement of some people here.

nodq

wicked
Just don't pre-order games man. It is so known since years... do not ever pre-order anything. And if you do, don't complain later on. I don't understand why people still do this shit, it makes no fucking sense. And people that do it are the reason those companies keep doing this bullshit over and over and over again. FOMO syndrom is so wide spread in the gaming community its insane.

Yeah the price is way too high. I bought the $100 Premium Edition (+ Skarlet Kold War but I've never received it) and you have to spend an extra $40 for THREE characters ? Really ? The KP1 was already too expensive (I2's season pass was $40 for 9 characters + skins and lasted 2 years, KP1 was $40 for only six characters + skins and lasted 1 year) for what we got and now they charge us the same amount for half the content ? WTF WB ?

And can't Premium users have like, premium benefits ? Instead we have to pay more than the newcomers ?

And there will be probably another pack of $40 in a few months.

And I like how people defend multi billion dollars companies like WB and their shitty economic practices.

The only problem i have with the price is that in kp1 for same money we got 6 characters and 6 skin packs . In aftermath we get 3 characters , 3 skin packs and a story mode . As much as i like story mode , its a lil bit strange that u value it as 3 characters and 3 skin packs .

Aye, I think the price is too high for what it is. But you saw straight away people got caught up in the hype of the trailer and telling everyone how they've pre-ordered. It's always the same with pre-orders: you're paying for something you've not even seen yet. It's really stupid, but people still do it and game companies know they can exploit it.

Everyone should know by now that games drop in price, usually by a lot, after release. And NRS games always milk some DLC and then release a complete edition at the end. You have to make the choice whether to pay a premium now, or wait for the better deal.

Daemantalo

Not Good Enough
As someone who bought the premium edition and doesn’t play the DLC characters as extensively as the main roster, I don’t understand the feeling some people in this thread have. I like NRS games. Every game I’ve bought since MKX has been an instant premium edition for me. While the DLC or Aftermath Edition is inevitably going to be cheaper in the future for a newcomer, my year of learning the game has been mostly positive along the way.

The big question to ask yourself is this: Do I want to play the game while it’s fresh and new at full price or wait a year when it gets marked down by 50% and loses 50% of its playerbase?

Everyone on this forum knows you can easily snipe sales on the short-lived NRS games. If players dislike this new practice, why not vote with your wallet and say no to the Aftermath Edition?

EDIT: I plan on buying the Aftermath Edition due to it showing that NRS is attempting to break their 2 year curse with something, even if that something is completely experimental.

Last edited:

supernumian

Triborg Enthusiast
I'm still thinking about buying this expansion on D1 or not.
It's quite expensive for what it offers and can wait for some sale.

Hope to have the character sold separately, so I can buy Fujin at D1 and the rest when it's half his price.

OP got me thinking, hard about this one. All the NRS games I feel like i've gone all in on the premium edition, and not once have I mained or played any of the DLC characters seriously until MK11. Shang is literally the only one, and I have no interest in any others except fujin. I've wasted so much money I didn't need to in favor of just being loyal for no reason other than "I GOTTA HAVE IT ALL". I'm hype for this expansion, but for $40 it seems a bit steep for just 3 characters, or is it more? And the reality of friendships just being more cutscenes to sit through that interupt gameplay time. I'm just not sure anymore. Tired of all the time wasting bullshit in this game at this point. Way too much to sit through when all I want to do is a play the actual game.

Slymind

Noob
The price is good for those buying the full package, but it's steep for the ambassadors, specially those who bought the full edition. They should've handled the prices better.

Also the extra story should be in the very least longer than the main one, which i highly doubt It will be the case.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
... so .... what, you think that buying the game day 1 means that you must get all future dlc for free?

It's simple, really. Buy game day one for 60-100 bucks, depending on the edition ...

Or buy it months or years later at a better price. That's how it always worked.

Edit: Holy-shit at the entitlement of some people here.
I hate when people shout “entitlement” any time we express displeasure with a BUSINESS model. We stack their paychecks, we have every right to complain and it has nothing to do with entitlement but the questioning of business practices.

That being said, everyone unhappy should speak with their wallet. I certainly won’t be supporting this DLC.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Imagine how much they expect people to pay for this game when it's all said and done and Kombat Pack 2 releases.

I've already dropped $100 on the most boring NRS title in history (including another $20 on piece of shit Krystals before I realized how trash the store was). Now there's a $40 expansion. Later in the year they'll announce Kombat Pack 2 for another $40, at least. If there's actually 8 more characters, it might be even more.

$180 at the very least for all content for those who are day 1 supporters of the franchise.

If I felt this game was worth it, I'd be in here supporting it and telling people who complain to simply not buy the DLC , as I've done in the past. In this case, I find it incredibly sad that the most boring NRS title is getting the most support and DLC and there's no end in sight.

If there's a patch included with this new update, the only note I want to see is "Fixed an issue where fun was removed since release. We added fun back."

Also, aside from everything I've stated above, is NRS aware of how many people are out of work right now? $40 is a lot to ask for many people currently. A more reasonable price would have been a welcome sight for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Raider

Noob
Imagine how much they expect people to pay for this game when it's all said and done and Kombat Pack 2 releases.

I've already dropped $100 on the most boring NRS title in history (including another $20 on piece of shit Krystals before I realized how trash the store was). Now there's a $40 expansion. Later in the year they'll announce Kombat Pack 2 for another $40, at least. If there's actually 8 more characters, it might be even more.

$180 at the very least for all content for those who are day 1 supporters of the franchise.

If I felt this game was worth it, I'd be in here supporting it and telling people who complain to simply not buy the DLC , as I've done in the past. In this case, I find it incredibly sad that the most boring NRS title is getting the most support and DLC and there's no end in sight.

If there's a patch included with this new update, the only note I want to see is "Fixed an issue where fun was removed since release. We added fun back."

Also, aside from everything I've stated above, is NRS aware of how many people are out of work right now? $40 is a lot to ask for many people currently. A more reasonable price would have been a welcome sight for a lot of people.
The fact that all this is for an incomplete game filled with grinding and RNG makes everything even worse.

Agilaz

It has begun
40 dollarydoos for:

3 new characters, all of which have mocap work, VO work, animation work done

3 skin packs, + the legacy skins for a presumed total of 12 which all required artist work

the story chapters with all the work that comes into making them

-

My point is, do people here not hold jobs? If you do, do you work for free?

It's the same shit from MKX KP2 all over again. No, buying the premium version does NOT entitle you to anything outside what the Premium edition promises, simple.

If it costs me 40 bucks to extend my time with the game, then so be it. I like the game, I like videogames in general, and as it happens hobbies cost money.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
40 dollarydoos for:

3 new characters, all of which have mocap work, VO work, animation work done

3 skin packs, + the legacy skins for a presumed total of 12 which all required artist work

the story chapters with all the work that comes into making them

-

My point is, do people here not hold jobs? If you do, do you work for free?

It's the same shit from MKX KP2 all over again. No, buying the premium version does NOT entitle you to anything outside what the Premium edition promises, simple.

If it costs me 40 bucks to extend my time with the game, then so be it. I like the game, I like videogames in general, and as it happens hobbies cost money.
This. I swear sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by ten year olds who cannot afford an extra twenty to spare on something they supposedly love.