What's new

'Hopefully, if we’ve done our job right, we’ll have left our fans still wanting more' - and we're always ready to take their money!

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
Right, I don't play SF5 so I didn't know what was required to unlock a character.
for people who want to unlock just a special selected amount of chars you can do so, even (which you dont really need with the latest bundle release) now but unlocking everyone was nearly impossible for the majority of people especially with the fightmoney decrease. sad thing is...people accepted the dlc costume price rise because "you can unlock chars for free" just to drop that in mvci and keep the 4 bug price tag per costume.

people complain here about costume bundles for 5,99, just imagine you had to pay 12 for the same thing...

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
for people who want to unlock just a special selected amount of chars you can do so, even (which you dont really need with the latest bundle release) now but unlocking everyone was nearly impossible for the majority of people especially with the fightmoney decrease. sad thing is...people accepted the dlc costume price rise because "you can unlock chars for free" just to drop that in mvci and keep the 4 bug price tag per costume.

people complain here about costume bundles for 5,99, just imagine you had to pay 12 for the same thing...
RIP, I forgot mvci was even a thing that existed. I don't think one scummy price model validates a slightly less scummy one though.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
RIP, I forgot mvci was even a thing that existed. I don't think one scummy price model validates a slightly less scummy one though.
i didnt do that. just said they all go apeshit now and the only thing you can do is either not buy or wait for a sale. no need to justifie these things but unfortunately its already a common thing under fgc devs.

tekken7 was the last game i buyed full price to support its release on pc and since then i never payed the full price anymore for dlc or base games.
when devs start to act "greedy" you should go find a way to get things cheaper which at least on pc is not a hard thing to do.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
i didnt do that. just said they all go apeshit now and the only thing you can do is either not buy or wait for a sale. no need to justifie these things but unfortunately its already a common thing under fgc devs.

tekken7 was the last game i buyed full price to support its release on pc and since then i never payed the full price anymore for dlc or base games.
when devs start to act "greedy" you should go find a way to get things cheaper which at least on pc is not a hard thing to do.
Definitely, I'll rarely buy games at launch, being a full time student with a full time job, I don't really have time to be good at multiplayer games, if I have time to play games, I'll usually play a single player game.

Definitely, I'll rarely buy games at launch, being a full time student with a full time job, I don't really have time to be good at multiplayer games, if I have time to play games, I'll usually play a single player game.
Yup. I have a full time career and a very long commute each day. That's on hold now with the pandemic, mind you, but normally speaking, similar boat for me.

As such, I'm very selective with what I buy and rarely get anything at launch now. As an older gamer too, I personally don't like the pricing structure for almost any DLC. Back from 2007 to the early 2010's, I was very vocal on the Xbox Forums about it, and I made predictions about the directions game development and releases would go if people kept supporting such things.

Some people listened and stopped supporting DLC, at least at launch, but of course most didn't.

Ironically all but one of my predictions came true, and that one was premium patches.

The fact that other companies are using worse economic practices doesn't excuse anything at all. We are talking about NRS because it is a NRS forum.
No, it's a valid point. They're also part of the gaming industry, what they do affects everyone. If they do it and get away with it, then others follow suit. If every company canned DLC, then you can be sure the one left doing it will get some flack for it.

If someone is willing to spend $60 on something that becomes obsolete the very next year, versus $60 that still holds value upto 4 years later, how is that not a valid argument?

Here we have a DLC that adds 3 characters and a few story mode chapters that is charged for like 2/3 of the base game that included 25 characters and a fully length story mode.
Right, so by your logic 60/25=2.40, but wait half the game was ToT/story/etc, so 2.40/2=1.20. So each character is worth $1.20. Lets be generous and say the story is $5. So aftermath should be $8.60, lets say $10.

As much as you might want it to, it doesn't work like that. The market dictates the price. An iphone costs $1200 because that price is what apple think people will pay.

How is it almost all AAA games are $60 at launch, almost all DLC is $4-6 and almost all season passes are ~$25? Could it be that this a defacto price for those items because they know this is what people are willing to pay.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I'm in the camp of wanting this to be a little less expensive but there are a lot of us here that seem to be a little more upset about the cost than is necessary. I'm thinking about all the money I threw into SFV for all the content updates, costume packs, characters, Capcom cup support packs etc. I easily spent over $250.00 on the game. Probably more. The game has now since released as SFV: Champion Edition with all the content I spent all that money on (except Cap Cup stuff) for $40.00.

I'm not mad at all. Why? Because I paid the asking price for the content that I wanted at that point in time. I knew there would be a final Edition at some point but I wanted what I wanted and got what I paid for. Had I waited until February when the final edition released I would have missed out on all the fun experiences I had with friends while playing the game at work and at EVO with my Gaemz portable setup.

Those experiences were worth it to me. Others may feel differently and that's fine. No one said that everyone had to lay down and take it like I did. But at the end of the day we all are going to do what's best for each of us. If you feel like waiting for the price to come down, by all means, please do so. There's no harm in that. I do it all the time for games that I just don't think are worth the full asking price. For things that I'm really into I'll shell out a few bones to enjoy the content right away. Both are perfectly fine and people should respect that. I see no need to argue over it.

All DLC are overpriced. Even the ones that sell a character at 5 bucks is overpriced, when you think that you buy 25 characters with 60 bucks as well as other modes and goodies. Your beef should be with all DLC, not just NRS'.
Actually I don't like a very large part of the DLCs practices in the gaming industry and almost never buy them, so I can say that my beef is with all DLCs, I was just targeting NRS in particular here because it is a NRS forum and a thread talking about the price of Aftermath. On paper I have nothing against DLCs, but A LOT of them are not worth their prices. The last time I thought a DLC was worth it was The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine, and it was quite some time ago.

Right, so by your logic 60/25=2.40, but wait half the game was ToT/story/etc, so 2.40/2=1.20. So each character is worth $1.20. Lets be generous and say the story is $5. So aftermath should be $8.60, lets say $10.

As much as you might want it to, it doesn't work like that. The market dictates the price. An iphone costs $1200 because that price is what apple think people will pay.

How is it almost all AAA games are $60 at launch, almost all DLC is $4-6 and almost all season passes are ~$25? Could it be that this a defacto price for those items because they know this is what people are willing to pay.
I didn't mean to affect a particular value to a single base game character, I just wanted to highlight the huge difference between $60 for the starting content and this $40 "expansion" that adds way less than the base game content and yet is charged for more than the half of it.

Well, Apple acts like all video game companies, they know people will buy it without even thinking and they take advantage of it to make a comfortable profit out of their products. If the players or Iphone buyers would complain and boycott overpriced products, then the price of all these things would drop, because you better sell something with less profit than not selling anything at all.

No, it's a valid point. They're also part of the gaming industry, what they do affects everyone. If they do it and get away with it, then others follow suit. If every company canned DLC, then you can be sure the one left doing it will get some flack for it.

If someone is willing to spend $60 on something that becomes obsolete the very next year, versus $60 that still holds value upto 4 years later, how is that not a valid argument?
I think you misunderstood what I said, or maybe I wasn't clear enough. Annual releases like Call of Duty or FIFA/Madden and all this shitty franchises were indeed the leading exemples to what the gaming industry has become. I just meant that the companies that are also taking advantage of its playerbase to milk them at a lesser level should not be excused because Activision and EA have worse economic practices. If the CoD/FIFA players are mindlessly willing to buy the same game again and again every year, then yes they will take advantage of it. That would make them huge assholes for taking advantage of them like that to me, but hey, what company would deny large profit for minimal efforts ? Why would they bother making efforts if the players buys anything they release ?

It is no surprise that the other companies want to take advantage of this. CoD and FIFA games are so identical from a year to another they can allow themselves to release one game per year since they have enough staff to do so, but you can't do that with all games. So the other companies try new things to trick players into buying their shit.
What WB did with MK11 since its release is shameful and the playerbase should be angry at them, but no here I see people defending them like it was a personal offence. The problem is, I already said it but I'll say it again, that the standards of quality/quantity has been lowered so much people don't see the problem. They are so low people that are actually complaining about the prices are being criticized by other players because... multi billion dollars companies maybe need average people to defend them I guess.

asddgd

Noob
What if the price was 30 instead of 40$, would ppl still riot?
it should be the same price as kp2 from mkx, $20 or it should at least include the next 3 characters they release after this. I’d buy it if it were $20, maybe even $30, but this $40 3 character dlc for the best selling mk game of all time needs to go. At least give me the fucking thing at a discount i bought the kollecters edition

Afumba

Noob
In my opinion its not worth the price.

1. Skins are irelevant. If they were 9 Skins for character i use or at least most of them... Sure. But 9 random Skins, nope. They are just there to give the price tag a more satisfying look on the "DLC content" Info screen. Its lile those games who Add Avatars and Themes to make it seem more bloated at first glance. (And lol at the people that justify the skin price tag with "The artist have to design blabla..." You should ask people that do these things, they'll tell you that 6€ for 3 MK Skins has very litte to do with the artist)

2. We get 3 character in a story add-on. Making one of those a guest is beyond ridiculous. Why dont they put the Movie Trailer in the game as well. Right at the start, autoplay before the Netherrealm Logo.

3. I dont know how long the story is yet and it needs to be a big one to justify 40€, especially given my above points. Big one like at least 3/4 of the main game story. But by WB calculation we already have 36€ on chars and skins so i dont see the story being as öong as the main one. Truth be told even if it is it would still be overpriced, but inprobably would buy it then.

And just so nobody feels the need to reply with a comment about money and stuff... its not about the money its about worth. I spend lots of money for games every month, its no problem. I just dont spend mobey on overpriced stuff. Sure if i am in the desert, havent had a drink in half a day.. and you want 100bucks for a glass of water have at it, but other than that i have other games to spend my money on. Might dump the 40€ into City Skylines or buy Persona 5R even though i have P5 already.

I just keep playing MK with the roster i have till i goes on sale.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well it is about money too, especially now most of us are on a tight budget so we want our money's worth thus why a lot fee 40 bucks is a bit steep considering what you're getting. IMO the 50 dollar one is more worth it for what you're getting far more bang for your buck for those who didn't already have KP1.

Afumba

Noob
Well it is about money too, especially now most of us are on a tight budget so we want our money's worth thus why a lot fee 40 bucks is a bit steep considering what you're getting. IMO the 50 dollar one is more worth it for what you're getting far more bang for your buck for those who didn't already have KP1.
Oh yea ofc. I didnt mean to make it sound like its not much money or that 40 bucks isnt worth anything . It was more to state that i can afford it but wont since the price is not worth what your getting. If money is tight there is no way i would recommend anyone this add-on compared to anything else i can imagine right now.

In my opinion its not worth the price.
Unfortunately there are a lot of things to factor in. My main problem is that this pricing is a big F U to those who supported Premium Edition on Day 1. Even base game owners can get a much better deal for the whole package and apparently this'll continue with more packs.

But if you choose to wait for all those packs to be released and buy it later, you won't have access to lab against new characters and that'll hinder you online big time. It would be cool if you had access to all characters in the lab because it would be a fair playground from a competitive standpoint and you could even find characters fun to play you didn't want to buy in the first place so you'll more likely buy them after evaluating them in the lab. It would be much better than have a trial tower for a week where there's a custom loadout that's not one of the competitive ones and you fly blindly without having any knowledge about the character.

I read a lot of things in this thread about entitlement and how you're being a bum if you don't want to pay 40 $ for something you like. I haven't said a word about this whole content should be free. But if you're looking at the big picture, you could buy the whole Injustice 2 package at launch for 100 $, now it will more than likely be about 200 $ for the whole package. Yes, we will have story expansions and more characters but it's still a lot of money for one game.

trufenix

bye felicia
I almost never buy dlc, because I feel like the base game is a complete game. I don't have that wierd ocd you guys have and frankly NRS games are huge enough for me to not buy anything extra. Now, I did buy Lei Wulong for Tekken 7 because he is my main since T2 and the game felt empty without him. My point is, if you aren't competetive and travel to tournaments, just buy the characters you deem is missing to you. I doubt your MK experiences will be any less if you don't give NRS money for characters that you will try once or twice and still play that stupid yellow ninja from day 1.
Damn, it is nice to see some reasonable people in this community sometimes.