What's new

'Hopefully, if we’ve done our job right, we’ll have left our fans still wanting more' - and we're always ready to take their money!

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Id play an MK with some light RPG elements, like Assassins Creed Origins / Shadow of War as Scorpion or someone would kick ass. Scorpion or Sub-Zero would be the best characters for an RPG, they could easily have separate skill trees based on stealth, their weapons, and their powers.
Mortal Kombat: Fire and Ice was the supposed sequel to Shaolin Monks that got scrapped for whatever reason. I 100% see this happening.

Id play an MK with some light RPG elements, like Assassins Creed Origins / Shadow of War as Scorpion or someone would kick ass. Scorpion or Sub-Zero would be the best characters for an RPG, they could easily have separate skill trees based on stealth, their weapons, and their powers.
Jade Empire is the closest we've ever got to an actual Mortal Kombat role playing game.

I'd love an actual Mortal Kombat RPG or action adventure game done for modern systems, but I do still want fighting games from the franchise as well.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Mortal Kombat: Fire and Ice was the supposed sequel to Shaolin Monks that got scrapped for whatever reason. I 100% see this happening.
You choose Scorpion or Sub at the beginning, then the final boss is whoever you didn't choose. Sub bosses throughout different regions are Mortal Kombat characters, like Baraka is in the Tarkatan Camp region, Mileena, Reptile, Goro, etc are scattered throughout Outworld, Quan Chi in the Neatherrealm. I think it would be a really awesome game, they should just give it to Monolith because they did Shadow of War and are also a WB property.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
Now, on another note, the NRS fanbase has time and again been accused of being toxic (I've even said this myself a couple of times), but really … is the toxicity the result of entitled spoiled assholes? Or is it something more?

Read this personal anecdote if you have the time …

Twenty years ago, my big brother was a hardcore fan of a soccer manager game on PC, and at some point emailed the devs and asked them to become an associate by making the stats for the players of the Greek teams, because the devs didn't have anyone in the know in my country - so they had the stats for the Greek soccer players completely randomized. They said yes.

My brother fixed the database of the Greek players to stats more appropriate to their real abilities and was in charge of maintaining and re-valuating the stats according to the players' real-life soccer skills.

Anyway, a few months later my brother was drafted to the Greek army and gave me access to his email account in case the devs wanted something from him to do - and I would do it in his stead. One day, I received an email from the devs, telling me (actually were telling my brother) that some Greek fans were really, REALLY hostile in the forums of the game. Apparently the fans were complaining about lack of communication, the devs ignoring them, complaining that the stats of the Greek teams being wrong and my brother favoring other teams which didn't fare good the passing year, and so on.

I phoned my brother in the army and told him about the problem with the fans. He sighed and asked me - as a favor - to pretend I'm him and speak on his behalf on the forums. And I did just that. I registered on the forums, asked the fans what their problems were, assured them I would look into it, answered a few questions I could answer myself and the toxic fans became a lot calmer. My brother ended up taking a couple of them as volunteers to assist him in fine-tuning the teams and he had a much more civilized communication with them for the months that followed, before leaving the dev team to become a doctor.

Now, the moral of the story: While I do believe that the NRS fanbase is toxic, some of the blame falls to NRS and WB for closing the shutters and not communicating with the fans. Imagine an NRS dev coming here and making a poll "Which MK characters would you like to see in MK12?" and when MK12 comes true, the top 15 names in the poll are 100% in the roster. Would the fans complain about the roster missing favorites? Would they say that NRS 'never listens'? I don't think so.

Toxicity comes from displeasure. Displeasure comes when the fans don't get what they want. Fans not getting what they want means that publishers and devs do not listen.

Or at least, devs only listen to a couple of popular YouTubers like Angry Joe and Maximilian - which I love, but they do not represent the entire fanbase.

… long post.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

If I'm honest though, I'm not quite sure what "toxic" means at this point. Seems like folks often just say "toxic" when referring to things they don't like or agree with so as to suggest that there's something inherently wrong with it.

If I'm honest though, I'm not quite sure what "toxic" means at this point. Seems like folks often just say "toxic" when referring to things they don't like or agree with so as to suggest that there's something inherently wrong with it.
"Toxic," when properly used, defines a player, poster, or community that is constantly extremely negative and condescending towards the subject matter at hand. This occurs even when the "toxic" individual or community gets what they were complaining for, as they always find fault with absolutely everything and are extremely vocal and hostile about it.

Personally, I find "toxic" behaviours in gaming and among gaming communities to be very common today to the point where I stopped bothering with many of them because I was getting nothing constructive out of it. There's only three public gaming forums I go to now, and two Discord Channels. Otherwise, I simply discuss games with family and friends.

For the Mortal Kombat community, I'd say it's not the most "toxic" one out there at all. For Testyourmight, of the forums I still go to, this would be the most "toxic" of them, but it's overall not too bad; there's still a lot of really great, friendly people here.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
"Toxic," when properly used, defines a player, poster, or community that is constantly extremely negative and condescending towards the subject matter at hand. This occurs even when the "toxic" individual or community gets what they were complaining for, as they always find fault with absolutely everything and are extremely vocal and hostile about it.

Personally, I find "toxic" behaviours in gaming and among gaming communities to be very common today to the point where I stopped bothering with many of them because I was getting nothing constructive out of it. There's only three public gaming forums I go to now, and two Discord Channels. Otherwise, I simply discuss games with family and friends.

For the Mortal Kombat community, I'd say it's not the most "toxic" one out there at all. For Testyourmight, of the forums I still go to, this would be the most "toxic" of them, but it's overall not too bad; there's still a lot of really great, friendly people here.
Gamefaqs mk forum is quite toxic, imo.

alright after sitting here reading everyone thoughts about the dlc here my thoughts to me this dlc is good and bad here is why people who never bought mk11 since launch can just pay 60$ for whole thing also the aftermath and kp1 comes with the base game not bad but other hand. this is waist of money of nothing great if you do not care about story and fujin sheeva roboflop the update is free so way waist the money?. the only thing should matter how the game gonna be this look like same game nrs gave us since day 1 no changes anything.just balance patch no online fixing new game-play stuff new moves ui etc also fixing brutality requirements. everyone still gonna rage quit wifi warriors gonna be worse everyone gonna drop sheeva fujin and roboflop in a week if they not broken also sonicfox using

You know what, I paid $30k for a new car while back, and not less than 6 months later there was a facelift with new standard features, new soundsystem and some other goodies... and cheaper than what i paid!

Clearly i'm an idiot because i didn't go back to the dealership jumping up and down that i should be getting those extra's added to my car for a nominal price, or just downright complaining that someone can get a newer, better car for less.

Had i known i may have waited, or i could look at the brighter side, i had a new car to enjoy for that 6months instead of my old clanker. Was it worth the difference in price... maybe.

It's the way business works.

And that's just the point. Premium Edition had some extra goodies added. That is why you pay the higher price, not because you're special and deserve some sort of discount on future content you and wanted to pay for that special edition. If that was the case it would be on the box.. "Premium Edition includes $10 discount code for future DLC!"

Do these people also complain when banana's drop in price as well?

If people want to complain about the price, go ahead. Even better don't buy it so WB sees the low sales figures at that price. But don't go on as though it's something that should be given to you or discounted for you just because you decided to pay a premium price at launch. Every decision is yours and no one elses.
Bruhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the car metaphor is perfect. Sometimes I wonder about people ✌ to each their own though.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11

Yeah like I think different people have their own interpretation of the word "Toxic"

You have for example those who think a community or all communities(doesn't matter which could be NRS, DC, Marvel, SW, ST, Smash whatever) as a word to describe them being nasty or because they don't like them.

Then you have toxic as in Kombat League toxic, where people are literally the epitome of toxic. They act like pompous assholes who accomplished something special in their miserable lives, they cheat, pull, lag switch and use broke tier characters then laugh and brag about it etc. To me when I hear toxic I think more of the latter than former personally. I mean really toxic, I've had people the first few seasons wish my family and I death. That's some high level loser toxicity right there.

Should frame data have been in the game from the beginning? Yes.

Should people cause an uproar on social media because of $5? No.

Namco (and Warner Brothers) pay their employees to design and implement these features. Nobody works for free.

But I am not excusing the Aftermath prices, which are expensive. I wish we could choose what to buy. I would have bought all the characters and the costumes but not the story expansion. I do not play fighting games for the story. That is what single-player games are for in my opinion.
i don't know. I feel like that was namco greed. Most of the work has pretty much already been done for them. paying for something that some already quality fighting games do for free sounds like a joke. I don't even think aftermath is that expensive. it would be better at $30 minimum for everything in it but the items within it should be purchasable separately.

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Think we need to relax, kp1 was 75% like a month later and I'm sure the Corona sale is gonna be right around the corner afterward

No one's explained how NRS/WB is the big bad for doing this, yet COD/Forza/Madden et al release new full priced games every year. And with DLC content on top of that. After 12 months that game becomes a door stop along with all the money spent on it.

What NRS is doing is actually extending the value of your initial outlay for the original game and extending the life of the game. Depending on whether you're an NRS or MK only fan, your potential time with the game is anywhere from 2-4years. Even if you bought the game + all DLC at ~US$40, you're still paying less than a COD/Forza/Madden fan who pays full price for a new game (+DLC) every year.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
No one's explained how NRS/WB is the big bad for doing this, yet COD/Forza/Madden et al release new full priced games every year. And with DLC content on top of that. After 12 months that game becomes a door stop along with all the money spent on it.

What NRS is doing is actually extending the value of your initial outlay for the original game and extending the life of the game. Depending on whether you're an NRS or MK only fan, your potential time with the game is anywhere from 2-4years. Even if you bought the game + all DLC at ~US$40, you're still paying less than a COD/Forza/Madden fan who pays full price for a new game (+DLC) every year.
All of COD's non cosmetic shit is free this year and it is a TON of quality stuff that the community has asked for. I only paid 60 bucks for Modern Warfare and there is FAR more content than even the 100 dollar version of MK11.

Do you guys have shares in WB or something ? Because it's really weird to see people defending this kind of anti-consumer economic practices like that.

It might be weird to you, but some people want to buy products that are worth their prices in both quality and quantity.

If people don't voice their discontent, then they'll keep asking more money for less work again and again and again. There are some many exemples nowadays of cultural products being released with the bare minimum efforts from the companies because nobody complained so the standards have been lowered so much they could charge the same price or even more for less quality and/or quantity within the product. Take the film industry, the writing became so lazy it is almost impossible to see a good film in the theaters nowadays. It's the same for video games.
One day the standards will be so low they'll release a fighting game with 16 characters in the base roster and some people won't even see the problem. Oops nevermind we already crossed that line.

What's the limit for you ? Will you ever complain about a product that's too expensive for the amount of content delivered or you'll just keep lowering your standards to please the shareholders of big companies ?
Da DLC is a damn hoax guys.

Buy it!!!!

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
How is this tremendous value when the base game had like 12x more content for just 60$? Trying to figure out that discrepancy with my moron brain
.. ok.. I'll try.

The cost of the DLC is not comparable to the cost of the original game. They are in fact linked as a single cost. They are not on not separate, and they are also not able to be looked at in isolation.

When they design a large multi-million dollar game the large DLC and even the small DLC is all pre-planned. They do not say.. ok now lest make a DLC and start from scratch, at least not at this stage. Aftermath was in the pipeline from before the code had started to stop rolling out on IJ2. So the cost of the story DLC, hiring the actors, the motion capture and all the literal 100s of employees that need weekly wages to pay mortgages, feed themselves and put their kids through collage, well all that is PART of the one cost for the entire MK11 project. That "project cost" is spread out along all the DLC, as it is all priced at once. The funds of this DLC is not JUST to pay for the development costs of this one dlc, it is for the entire MK11 project as planned form the beginning.

What I am trying to teach you here, is the reason MK11, or Red Dead Redemption or Assassin Creed or Call of Duty or whatever are not $300 or $400usd, or something ridiculous like that, on launch is because of the DLC pricing model that allows income to be spread over injection blocks and this LOWERS the cost of the main game by huge amounts.

Hope that helps. Stay off train platforms : )

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.

Annual franchises are widely derided and there are outlets to complain about that kind of thing, but that doesn't really matter here? Deflecting to "well annual franchises that are the subject of wide condemnation do it" is a weak defense tho.

This is an NRS forum, and we're talking specifically about the NRS pricing model here being bad in a vacuum. It's not a relative thing, it's a concrete thing. Unless you can keep a straight face and tell me that these 3 characters and limited story mode expansion are worth 2/3 of the price for the full story mode and 25 characters at launch? It seems awful silly to price it this way, and they'll drive people away by doing so.

Also, incidentally, this math doesn't check out. You buy a Madden game at full price at launch, so even if you buy a new edition each year that's $60 a year right? So $120 over 2 years? There's no "DLC" for Madden, they have microtransactions and special currency for their whatever mode but there aren't really game features or new modes or teams or something that they put out after the fact. For MK11 within this initial 2-year period: you have the base game for $60, the KP1 for $40, the Halloween skins for $5 more, and now this expansion for $40. That's $145, assuming there's no new skin packs that are an additional charge which there more than likely will be. AND it's also assuming there won't be any more large content packs over the next year, which there could be. AND there are also microtransactions and special currency for MK11.

The fact that other companies are using worse economic practices doesn't excuse anything at all. We are talking about NRS because it is a NRS forum. Here we have a DLC that adds 3 characters and a few story mode chapters that is charged for like 2/3 of the base game that included 25 characters and a fully length story mode.

I just want to add that on release MK11 had a day one character DLC (pre order bonus or not, it is still a purchasable DLC for a part of the players), one character included in-game but unlockable with money (Frost), one $40 Season Pass that was available for purchase before its content was fully revealed, one skin pack that costs $6 for 3 halloween themed skins (released mid-october and not included in the SP) and finally the cherry on top one of the most predatory and anti-consumer micro transaction system we've seen in a paid game.
I can also mention that the unlockable system (Krypt) is randomized and a lot of players think the content drop is rigged (yes, we do not have actual proof but many players experienced the same thing https://testyourmight.com/threads/krypt-in-mk11-is-rigged-content-drip-and-is-an-embarrassment-for-a-mk-game.72892/ ) and this is in favor of the MTX system I mentionned before. Sorry but it does not sound any better to me than the annual releases you were talking about.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
The fact that other companies are using worse economic practices doesn't excuse anything at all. We are talking about NRS because it is a NRS forum. Here we have a DLC that adds 3 characters and a few story mode chapters that is charged for like 2/3 of the base game that included 25 characters and a fully length story mode.

I just want to add that on release MK11 had a day one character DLC (pre order bonus or not, it is still a purchasable DLC for a part of the players), one character included in-game but unlockable with money (Frost), one $40 Season Pass that was available for purchase before its content was fully revealed, one skin pack that costs $6 for 3 halloween themed skins (released mid-october and not included in the SP) and finally the cherry on top one of the most predatory and anti-consumer micro transaction system we've seen in a paid game.
I can also mention that the unlockable system (Krypt) is randomized and a lot of players think the content drop is rigged (yes, we do not have actual proof but many players experienced the same thing https://testyourmight.com/threads/krypt-in-mk11-is-rigged-content-drip-and-is-an-embarrassment-for-a-mk-game.72892/ ) and this is in favor of the MTX system I mentionned before. Sorry but it does not sound any better to me than the annual releases you were talking about.
All DLC are overpriced. Even the ones that sell a character at 5 bucks is overpriced, when you think that you buy 25 characters with 60 bucks as well as other modes and goodies. Your beef should be with all DLC, not just NRS'.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
.. ok.. I'll try.

The cost of the DLC is not comparable to the cost of the original game. They are in fact linked as a single cost. They are not on not separate, and they are also not able to be looked at in isolation.

When they design a large multi-million dollar game the large DLC and even the small DLC is all pre-planned. They do not say.. ok now lest make a DLC and start from scratch, at least not at this stage. Aftermath was in the pipeline from before the code had started to stop rolling out on IJ2. So the cost of the story DLC, hiring the actors, the motion capture and all the literal 100s of employees that need weekly wages to pay mortgages, feed themselves and put their kids through collage, well all that is PART of the one cost for the entire MK11 project. That "project cost" is spread out along all the DLC, as it is all priced at once. The funds of this DLC is not JUST to pay for the development costs of this one dlc, it is for the entire MK11 project as planned form the beginning.

What I am trying to teach you here, is the reason MK11, or Red Dead Redemption or Assassin Creed or Call of Duty or whatever are not $300 or $400usd, or something ridiculous like that, on launch is because of the DLC pricing model that allows income to be spread over injection blocks and this LOWERS the cost of the main game by huge amounts.

Hope that helps. Stay off train platforms : )
Yes, the cost of the DLC is comparable to the base game. It's money. As a consumer, I don't have to buy DLC to have the base game be worth the full price. I still get 24 characters in the base game with or without buying the DLC that comes out later. My 40$ can go towards another base game that will have dramatically more content. Companies plan DLC out, no shit

Saying it was tremendous value was laughable even without insulting everyone but now you're acting like you were talking about general DLC practices, weasely bro

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yes, the cost of the DLC is comparable to the base game. It's money. As a consumer, I don't have to buy DLC to have the base game be worth the full price. I still get 24 characters in the base game with or without buying the DLC that comes out later. My 40$ can go towards another base game that will have dramatically more content. Companies plan DLC out, no shit

Saying it was tremendous value was laughable even without insulting everyone but now you're acting like you were talking about general DLC practices, weasely bro
People are just so delighted to get ass blasted by NRS and forgot that not all DLC is bad and overpriced. They just accept shitty overpriced DLC as the norm when other games have put out great content at a normal price. I'll once again shill for Modern Warfare but it's the most relevant example right now. That game is more successful than an MK game could ever dream of and could easily get away with a 30 dollar season pass but they only charge money for cosmetics. Or TW3, which probably has the best DLC ever.

The Injustice 1 season pass costed $15 for 4 characters, NRS just takes their player base for granted now, which to their credit why wouldn't they if they're getting sucked off for charging now $80 worth of season passes that doesnt even equal half the value of their $60 game.

Last edited:

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
there is not a single fighting game where the dlc to base game price comparison will not be in a huge favor of what you get for your money from the base game. pricing for stuff gets worse and worse in fgc games so the only thing you can do is don't buy it or wait for a sale. thats it...

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
there is not a single fighting game where the dlc to base game price comparison will not be in a huge favor of what you get for your money from the base game. pricing for stuff gets worse and worse in fgc games so the only thing you can do is don't buy it or wait for a sale. thats it...
Can you not earn characters for free in Street Fighter 5? Free stacks up pretty good vs the base game.

appo

º°˜¨EU¨˜°º
Can you not earn characters for free in Street Fighter 5? Free stacks up pretty good vs the base game.
they gave you a option to do that in theory which 99% of the playerbase will not achieve while rising the price for other dlc content up to stupid summs.
a single costume 4-5 bugs and you can just unlock one free ingame per char, stages 3-10bugs

you can unlock some for free but when you really wanted the full package with all the content since released you are in the 4-500 euro price region.
just recently they released a bundled version which doesnt contain everything either.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
they gave you a option to do that in theory which 99% of the playerbase will not achieve while rising the price for other dlc content up to stupid summs.
a single costume 4-5 bugs and you can just unlock one free ingame per char, stages 3-10bugs
Right, I don't play SF5 so I didn't know what was required to unlock a character.