What's new

Match-up Discussion Hawkgirl Matchup Discussion

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Work on your spacing and footsie game alongside precise patience, it's absolutely essential for this match up. Learn the timings on wing evade to make orbs, meterors and such get negated, that'll reduce chip damage you take while getting in.

You can wing evade out of down 1 push and down 1 martian grab.

Use wing evade 2 on 2,2, MB orb pressure and Back 2,3,3,3 MB orb to reverse pressure and get to being at plus four, while making Martian waste a bar of meter.

You can wing evade out of 1,1,2 string and full combo punish.

2,2, back 3 can be interrupted with forward 1,1, down 1 or MB back 3/forward 3.

If you get the timing down you can punish Martian grab with forward 1,1, trait, 2, MB mace charge for 32%.

I may add onto this, if you have more specific questions please feel free to ask me :).
1. What are my go to combos for the most common situations
2. Whats the best damaging but not to difficult corner combo not using b1 we3.
3. Ummmm Hell what's your favorite costume of hers( can't think of a decent third question lol)

Last edited:
Haven't been haven't been on this site for a while can anyone give me some pointers on the hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter match up
my personal opinion. 4-6
be very patient... force him to back up to corner... after you block his pillar... dash in and block. then charge him with wing evades. d1 him to death after evades and mace charges... do 2,2,u3.. +4 on block and after that.. follow up with f1,3 wing evade of your choice.. if he blocks the string go for 2... if you hit it.. go for 3. remember 2,2,u3 the second 2... is an overhead.. even if you hit it.. the move allows you to space very well and throws him towards the corner... now if you hit the 2,2,u3 go for mtmb and lock him down in corner.
in corner you flourish.. and get to stuff his wake up.. push.
you need to respect the orbs... need to be very patient when hes zoning... need to watch for his random pushes... and most of all his random mb b3.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
3. Ummmm Hell what's your favorite costume of hers( can't think of a decent third question lol)
1. Refer to the combo thread for a huge list of good BNB's, everyone uses different stuff. I use forward 1,1, trait, 2, MB mace charge as a punish or 1,2,3, back 3, jump 2, 3, 2, Mace charge, but midscreen I almost exclusively use modest damaging strings like 3,2 MB mace charge which does 28% damage.

You'll find that since most of her 30% ish damaging strings are highs that her mids are preferred options to utilize in most instances. Like for example, standing 3 is 12 frames, standing 1 is 13 frames and a high with less range so in most instances unless it's a punish you'll be better served using her mids (for example a down 1 on hit is plus 20 so you can follow up with any of her mid strings to mix people up).

2. Sometimes the most damaging isn't particularlyeasy, but I'll give you my 50% corner combo that only costs one bar, grants potential oki on knockdown and isn't super difficult with practice: 3, 2, wing evade 2, back 1, wing evade 3, back 1, wing evade 3, forward 1, 3, MB mace charge, trait/4, down 3/divekick. There may be a higher, better options but that's what I prefer doing as I've got the timing down and it's half life for modest investment.

You can also do this same combo with back 2, wing evade 2 or back 2,2 wing evade 2 or Back 2, 3 kind of.

3. I love her primary because it reminds me a lot of the cartoons.The mace is awesome love the spiked arm gauntlets, arm wraps, mask pattern at the top as well as her belt and straps. I think I'm one of the few mainers who use her primary skin. Just a really well done design to me.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
1. Refer to the combo thread for a huge list of good BNB's, everyone uses different stuff. I use forward 1,1, trait, 2, MB mace charge as a punish or 1,2,3, back 3, jump 2, 3, 2, Mace charge, but midscreen I almost exclusively use modest damaging strings like 3,2 MB mace charge which does 28% damage.

You'll find that since most of her 30% ish damaging strings are highs that her mids are preferred options to utilize in most instances. Like for example, standing 3 is 12 frames, standing 1 is 13 frames and a high with less range so in most instances unless it's a punish you'll be better served using her mids (for example a down 1 on hit is plus 20 so you can follow up with any of her mid strings to mix people up).

2. Sometimes the most damaging isn't particularlyeasy, but I'll give you my 50% corner combo that only costs one bar, grants potential oki on knockdown and isn't super difficult with practice: 3, 2, wing evade 2, back 1, wing evade 3, back 1, wing evade 3, forward 1, 3, MB mace charge, trait/4, down 3/divekick. There may be a higher, better options but that's what I prefer doing as I've got the timing down and it's half life for modest investment.

You can also do this same combo with back 2, wing evade 2 or back 2,2 wing evade 2 or Back 2, 3 kind of.

3. I love her primary because it reminds me a lot of the cartoons.The mace is awesome love the spiked arm gauntlets, arm wraps, mask pattern at the top as well as her belt and straps. I think I'm one of the few mainers who use her primary skin. Just a really well done design to me.
How in the world do you manage to land the B3 after 123, because everytime I do it, it seems to slow to even land?

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
How in the world do you manage to land the B3 after 123, because everytime I do it, it seems to slow to even land?
Both of my characters have weird back 3's so I guess I'm just used to having to deal with that lol. My only real advice I can offer is to not rush the inputs and practice it as I seem to land it 9 times out of 10 and I haven't practiced it in about six months.

I just applied a universal principle which is to not rush inputs in this game and I get it consistently. Also rings true for Hawkgirl's corner combos too, you don't have to rush the inputs lest you get bounce cancels and other input errors.

TheSpore

Soon as you finish 1,2,3 you have to press back 3 straight away
Both of my characters have weird back 3's so I guess I'm just used to having to deal with that lol. My only real advice I can offer is to not rush the inputs and practice it as I seem to land it 9 times out of 10 and I haven't practiced it in about six months.

I just applied a universal principle which is to not rush inputs in this game and I get it consistently. Also rings true for Hawkgirl's corner combos too, you don't have to rush the inputs lest you get bounce cancels and other input errors.
Thanks guys its like the one thing I have been trying to figure out for a while now. I got a lot good corner stuff, but I also never considered doing a WE2 instead I was using 32 MT U MB WE3, WE3, F13, F13, F13, which comes to about 52%, alternatively I have been using B22, MT U MB, or B23, WE3 ...

TheSpore

what does practice mode have to do with lag... and 1,2,3 b3 new combo?
Sir you are trying to insult me, because I had issues learning how to connect a combo and you just answered your own question!
"and u were debating with me about hg?"
So w/e your lil point to prove your better than is, isn't working now go away.

TheSpore

Speak for yourself, your the one that no one agreed with about the whole Flash MU and you made a ridiculous attempt at making me look bad for asking a question on how to land a combo. It is one thing to joke around and be funny, but you being a HG main yourself didn't even attempt add to the conversation. The fact that you continue to use these very idiotic Drag Queen memes shows that your too lazy for an actual response on what point your trying to make, or that you just simply have nothing to say.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Okay guys I think that's enough, seriously. We all have room to grow and improve as people and as players. Match up numbers are merely opinion so nobody is objectively right or wrong for their views (the majority could be wrong in some cases and the vice versa).

Who we play plays as much of a role in a lot of people's match up analysis as what the tools are it seems I've noticed. Everyone struggles with different things and some people are better at certain concepts.

Drop the drama guys, only gonna say this once.

TheSpore

LOL BETTER PULL THAT STICK OUT OF YOUR ASS HENNY
lol do you have nothing better to do than be a troll, now you respond with a statement of this nature further showing the community, you have no valid argument or anything intelligible to add, but please by all mean continue its not me showing a lack of intelligence!

TheSpore

Okay guys I think that's enough, seriously. We all have room to grow and improve as people and as players. Match up numbers are merely opinion so nobody is objectively right or wrong for their views. Who we play plays as much of a role in a lot of people's match up analysis as what the tools are it seems I've noticed.
I'm done, clearly I am, I at least remained civil about and again thanks for the advice earlier.

TheSpore

i have nothing to say to u.. U CANT EVEN LAND 1,2,3 B3. and blame on lag..? offline has lag too? and ur responses fail after u said, gtfo.. leave me.. man ure burning up...
lol Thats gonna be my new sig I think, we argued this a long time ago and excuse me if I never used the 123, B3 as BnB, sorry I was too busy learning the many different ways to utilize her corner game, again Espio asked nicely to knock it, therefore I am done. Since you want to bring old stuff anyway the statement above alone is just moronic, what was stated and not just by me, was that the PS3 version of the game suffers frame drop issues and lag online will completely ruin one who plays offline their ability properly land the combos and execution they worked hard to learn. Again I am done with this argument whatever it is now go away I have better things to attend to than you and your quest to prove who is the better person.

kaseyk

Noob
best advice for this is 123- hold back and lightly tap 3 very fast till you see movement or master the recovery timing for a single light tab of 3 mastery comes with practice

edit : 123-b3/f3 is vital to hg's game for stage positioning aswell ex mess hall your at the pillar starting position you do 123-b3-ji2-123-ji1-int(chandalier) turns the combo into 50%+ or ex mid screen any stage 123-b3-ji2-b1-we3 carries to corner for your awesome corner combos

Last edited:

TheSpore

best advice for this is 123- hold back and lightly tap 3 very fast till you see movement or master the recovery timing for a single light tab of 3 mastery comes with practice
Yeah thats typically how I mange to get the timing right on most my executions and why oh why I didn't even think about that one lol

kaseyk

Noob
@Espio said it well we all use her a little different but none of us are above taking little tricks the others use to better our game .
my small combo is d1-4-2-mc . punish combo 123-b3 combos and starter-we2-123-ji1-mcmb
all corner trait combos can be difficult but learning b1-we3 is a must my fav and prob most commonly landed on good players is air mtmb-f13-mcmb-4-12d3 50%
i use blackest night because it looks awesome :p

TheSpore

@TheSpore my most consistent way to land 123 B3 was to hit B3 as soon as the thirt hit of 123 hit... Like 123, wait 'til you see the third move hit and do B3
Thank you I'm gonna be working with this one tonight, I've dedicated most my week in fine tuning my executions with HG to make up for a lot lost time while I was finishing up school. I'm finally getting a good sadistic corner game going now I gotta refine my mid-screen.

TheSpore

@Espio said it well we all use her a little different but none of us are above taking little tricks the others use to better our game .
my small combo is d1-4-2-mc . punish combo 123-b3 combos and starter-we2-123-ji1-mcmb
all corner trait combos can be difficult but learning b1-we3 is a must my fav and prob most commonly landed on good players is air mtmb-f13-mcmb-4-12d3 50%
i use blackest night because it looks awesome :p
oooo I like that idea with the MCMB 4 12D3, I been just using 23 as the ender, but that sounds more nice.

To further iterate yeh if you want to get your corner damage up high you have to be able to nail B1WE3, typically you can land two in a row and follow it up with F13 x3. There are numerous setups for it too.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Thank you I'm gonna be working with this one tonight, I've dedicated most my week in fine tuning my executions with HG to make up for a lot lost time while I was finishing up school. I'm finally getting a good sadistic corner game going now I gotta refine my mid-screen.
You're welcome!! And good luck :) haha i used to love her corner game <3

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3

Whats her best corner combo not using b1 We3 cause ive been trying but i can only do it on one side for now and I check the combo list thread and all of them include B1,we3

TheSpore

Whats her best corner combo not using b1 We3 cause ive been trying but i can only do it on one side for now and I check the combo list thread and all of them include B1,we3
Well this one is descent and if memory serves well I think its 47%
B23, 22, 11, MCMB 4 32. Its fairly easy to land but B1 WE3 is the single most important tool to get down.