What's new

Green Lantern General Discussion Thread

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Why are you randomly whiffing exploding lantern? The full screen game for GL vs Aquaman is not about throwing out projectiles preemptively. You wait for him to do stuff then check or punish. Exploding lantern does do more chip and should only be used after you block a projectile. You also get guaranteed punishes with mb battery blast.

If Aquaman beats you without engaging close up, it's because you've made mistakes.
im saying if you do whiff it. plus if you wait then he can just go in and once he's in youre fucked. you cant punish anything without spending a bar on the beam. you say more chip but it does like 24 and he does 21 lol its hardly a difference maker if he htis you once after a chip war he has the lifelead. you cant turtle a good aquaman player.

and if youre only using exploding lantern after blocking tentacle what are you doing in neutral? you have no other way to keep him out without being punished. this is why its a bad matchup

You can also react to their movement and get out bf1 or bf2 depending.

You have to be on your game but if you play it right you can beat him in the zoning game.

Where the matchup is hard is on oki as alot of our setups don't work against him. And the sheer damage he puts out. I would make it 6-4 aquaman.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
you sound like you dont even know what downplaying is lol

he cant outzone aquaman,. and aquaman can block every exploding lantern after a ftd. and the chip seems about equal. plus if you ever whiff an exploding lantern you eat around 23% from fullscreen and all he has to do is dash forward to make you whiff
You said gl has "ALOT" of bad mus. Sounds like downplaying to me

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Just to clarify GL can not "punish" FTD with Exloding Lantern, correct? It's more of a counter?
Correct, it's not a punish, but a check - meaning that if he tries to get overzealous afterward, he will get hit. For example, if he goes for a second FTD, the exploding lantern catches him. It allows you to stay slightly ahead in the chip damage attrition battle and keep up with his meter build, so that you can later punish w MB blast or use the meter when the distance is closed.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
You can also react to their movement and get out bf1 or bf2 depending.

You have to be on your game but if you play it right you can beat him in the zoning game.

Where the matchup is hard is on oki as alot of our setups don't work against him. And the sheer damage he puts out. I would make it 6-4 aquaman.
Yeah the zoning is not the problem at all in this matchup. It's tough because we have to hit him a thousand times because we do no damage and rely on setups, which all lose to water shield.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Why do people say GL has solid wakeups? He only has Willpower Wall and that can be stuffed so easily. Even Brainiac has a fully invincible wake up. Am I missing something?

Why do people say GL has solid wakeups? He only has Willpower Wall and that can be stuffed so easily. Even Brainiac has a fully invincible wake up. Am I missing something?
Noob question but how can some characters blow through my wake up wall and some get hit with it? No armor, it just seems they blast through it. Is it a timing thing?

Last edited:

Bes110

Noob
Noob question but how can some characters blow through my wake up wall and some get hit with it? No armor, it just seems they blast through it. Is it a timing thing?
That's a good question. I am going to test it out in the lab soon as I've been wondering myself. I will let you know the results!

Bes110

Noob
I agree. Even if the wall connects the opponent is still basically on top of you. I suppose its nice to use mid screen, as it connects with a lot of enemies trying to jump in because of its height. Still not great though..

So what is exactly the f3 set up? So far the only way I know how to set it up is b134xxLM. Then after that do you just walk up to the opponent? Because I've seen Gross do one f2 to close the distance and 2 f2 if he reads the delay. I've been looking through the forums pretty extensively but haven't found anything substantial on his f3 or j3 set ups. :/

Bes110

Noob
So what is exactly the f3 set up? So far the only way I know how to set it up is b134xxLM. Then after that do you just walk up to the opponent? Because I've seen Gross do one f2 to close the distance and 2 f2 if he reads the delay. I've been looking through the forums pretty extensively but haven't found anything substantial on his f3 or j3 set ups. :/
As of now, I know three ways to set it up.

First there is b13, 4, db1. The f2 after puts you in range for the f3 to hit. Getting the cross up is all about timing. You want to kick the opponent in the back of the head as they are getting up.

You can also do b13, 4, db1, 223, dash immediately, nj3, 123, db1. This one seems a bit trickier to me. Maybe I haven't labbed it enough. The goal is so that after you dash, you jump. Depending on your position relative to the opponents when they stand up, your jump will either be in front of or behind them.

The last one is off of 2231. As soon as the baseball bat connects you dash in. Go for a f3 almost immediately. This is a possible cross up, though in not sure on the timing as I havent labbed it.

Hope this helps. Take it into practice mode.

*Edit I plan on making a video of some of this soon.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
After traited lift just dash up and hold f3 for a second or two. If they delay wakeup, you can dash and walk a little and f3 late

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
I've seen f2 used instead of dashing, is there any difference between the two?
Its all a timing/read thing. Double F2 whiffs will give you the perfect timing for a crossup F3 if you read your opponent will delay their wakeup. F2 and Dashing/walking forward works if you think they won't.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
Its all a timing/read thing. Double F2 whiffs will give you the perfect timing for a crossup F3 if you read your opponent will delay their wakeup. F2 and Dashing/walking forward works if you think they won't.
If you want, you can stuff wakeups with ex f3 as well if they're catching on to your oki