What's new

Green Lantern General Discussion Thread

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
What is the optimal combo off of mbb3 / f3? worried im leaving damage on the table.
Mbb3, ji3, 223, lift/boulder boulder:43% Lift:42%
Mbf3, ji3, 223, lift ( a little strict) boulder:43% Lift: 42%
Mbf3, ji3, b13, lift (easier) 40%
You can ex the lift and get ji2, 223 if you want to squeeze more damage in 50%

Last edited:

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
What do you guys do against Aquaman wake up water shield? It seems to get him out off a lot of the trait LM setups (the neutral jump ambiguous cross up, the forward jump ambiguous cross up, as well as f3). I know you can try to meaty it, but it seems like he can change the timing of his water shield and thus make that a pretty inconsistent option too.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
What do you guys do against Aquaman wake up water shield? It seems to get him out off a lot of the trait LM setups (the neutral jump ambiguous cross up, the forward jump ambiguous cross up, as well as f3). I know you can try to meaty it, but it seems like he can change the timing of his water shield and thus make that a pretty inconsistent option too.
Just ji3, it beats all his wakeups except wake up d2 and it should keep you safe from shield

This has been really helpful. Thank you sir!!

Bes110

Noob
Can't you gain a bit more damage with 123 instead of 223?

Bes110

Noob
When performing Green Lantern's ambiguous cross up set-ups, is it supposed to be ambiguous to both me and my opponent, or is it one of those things where I need to know the timing better to be in control?

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Well I mean it's better than just sitting there and respecting
Yeah agreed, but it sucks that Aquaman doesn't need to take our mixups after we knock him down. This is matchup changing in my opinion. Aquaman that does wake up water shield a lot changes this from 5-5 to a matchup where Aquaman wins.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I've been looking at secondaries so far I think supergirl and darkseid complement his flaws rather well.

Both characters have knockdown projectiles and can use them in the air to get out of the way of aquadouche tenticle.
Both characters also use air teleports to punish movement whilst in the air.

Who have you guys been using?
Supermang

Pretty much everyone lol

Alright guys im salty af. I just got Oa's Rocket and created a loadout with no gear on, just abilities (Oa and Air Oa). Not only did I feel right at home with this character, but his damage output and pressure increases greatly! MB Rocket is +10 on block and jails after 223 despite being a high. Why you limit this to gear NRS?? :(
I'm salty about that too. I loved Oa rocket

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
Yeah agreed, but it sucks that Aquaman doesn't need to take our mixups after we knock him down. This is matchup changing in my opinion. Aquaman that does wake up water shield a lot changes this from 5-5 to a matchup where Aquaman wins.
Do you know if he still takes damage while in shield? And no one really has to take our mixups if they delay wake up unless you're reading he's gonna delay wake up

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Do you know if he still takes damage while in shield? And no one really has to take our mixups if they delay wake up unless you're reading he's gonna delay wake up
I agree delayed wake up makes GL mixups worse - they're not true 50/50s. However GL still has decent options against delayed wake up for most characters: (1) delay your setup to hit them as they get up after the delayed wake up (2) doing a j3 into a slightly delayed string will cause j3 to hit vs regular wake up and the string to hit vs the delay.

Aquaman wake up water shield hurts a lot more than this imo.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Nice thoughts! Care to elaborate on Superman and Aquaman? I feel like Green Lantern has the tools to make them even.
he's always lost to Superman, he gets outneutraled and outzoned plus the damage difference. and superman doesnt have to deal with any f3 setups he can just wake up.
I'd say Catwoman and Batman are worse than Superman and Aquaman.
he probably loses to all of them tbh. cant zone aquaman and cant outfootsie him either not to mention the damage. in the last game GL had air rocket so he could zone aquaman or make him rush in, in this game aquaman controls the pace and you have to go in and all his normals have no hurtbox and have the same range as b1 or mroe plus he has the best d2 in the game so no jumping in shenanigans and j1 is useless. its just uphill. im not saying aquaman destroys GL but it definitely feels like he wins.

GL has A LOT of bad matchups in this game too

Last edited:

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
he's always lost to Superman, he gets outneutraled and outzoned plus the damage difference. and superman doesnt have to deal with any f3 setups he can just wake up.

he probably loses to all of them tbh. cant zone aquaman and cant outfootsie him either not to mention the damage. in the last game GL had ait rocket so he could zone aquaman or make him rush in, in this game aquaman controls the pace and you have to go in and all his normals have no hurtbox and have the same range as b1 or mroe plus he has the best d2 in the game so no jumping in shenanigans and j1 is useless. plus the damage obviously. its just uphill. im not sayign aquaman destroys GL but it definitely feels like he wins.

Yeah but batman and catwoman are probably worse. Quit downplaying

he probably loses to all of them tbh. cant zone aquaman and cant outfootsie him either not to mention the damage. in the last game GL had ait rocket so he could zone aquaman or make him rush in, in this game aquaman controls the pace and you have to go in and all his normals have no hurtbox and have the same range as b1 or mroe plus he has the best d2 in the game so no jumping in shenanigans and j1 is useless. plus the damage obviously. its just uphill. im not sayign aquaman destroys GL but it definitely feels like he wins.

GL can outdone aquaman you just have be patient make sure you block every from the deep and then counter with exploding lantern. You do more chip and they have to respect it. You can also punish with mbbf1 not really advisable. Its still a hard matchup but playing keepaway is a viable strategy when he gets in is the issue.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
Yeah but batman and catwoman are probably worse. Quit downplaying
you sound like you dont even know what downplaying is lol

GL can outdone aquaman you just have be patient make sure you block every from the deep and then counter with exploding lantern. You do more chip and they have to respect it. You can also punish with mbbf1 not really advisable. Its still a hard matchup but playing keepaway is a viable strategy when he gets in is the issue.
he cant outzone aquaman,. and aquaman can block every exploding lantern after a ftd. and the chip seems about equal. plus if you ever whiff an exploding lantern you eat around 23% from fullscreen and all he has to do is dash forward to make you whiff

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
You're 100% correct. It's very different than injustice 1, but patient GL zoning does not lose to Aquaman zoning. It's up close where Aqua has an advantage due to chip and damage, but it's not worse than 6-4 imo.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
you sound like you dont even know what downplaying is lol

he cant outzone aquaman,. and aquaman can block every exploding lantern after a ftd. and the chip seems about equal. plus if you ever whiff an exploding lantern you eat around 23% from fullscreen and all he has to do is dash forward to make you whiff
Why are you randomly whiffing exploding lantern? The full screen game for GL vs Aquaman is not about throwing out projectiles preemptively. You wait for him to do stuff then check or punish. Exploding lantern does do more chip and should only be used after you block a projectile. You also get guaranteed punishes with mb battery blast.

If Aquaman beats you without engaging close up, it's because you've made mistakes.

Why are you randomly whiffing exploding lantern? The full screen game for GL vs Aquaman is not about throwing out projectiles preemptively. You wait for him to do stuff then check or punish. Exploding lantern does do more chip and should only be used after you block a projectile. You also get guaranteed punishes with mb battery blast.

If Aquaman beats you without engaging close up, it's because you've made mistakes.
Just to clarify GL can not "punish" FTD with Exloding Lantern, correct? It's more of a counter?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Just to clarify GL can not "punish" FTD with Exloding Lantern, correct? It's more of a counter?
Pretty sure you can't. Don't have the game in front of me as I'm at work, but I'm pretty sure it's just your turn to chip him from afar. Or maybe catch them asleep and not blocking/jumping, etc.