What's new

Match-up Discussion Green Arrow Matchup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
You can neutral jump it like you stated and get a nj3 into combo. Also you can savage blast (jumpaway arrow ground blast move, db2) on reaction. Backdashing also works but has to be done late.

Ryu Gosling

When's Mahvel?
Agreed about Nightwing, for now that match feels like advantage.

I'm free to Grundy's Walking Corpse lol, how do you all approach that move? I know you can neutral jump but there's gotta be a better solution. I think it might be possible to cancel a string into savage blast on reaction to get away from him, but that's going to take a lot of practice.
Agreed Nightwing feels like a 6-4 7-3 in our favor...maybe 7-3 is too strong...idk whatever.

As for Grundy 3 hits defeats all his armor so Hurricane Bow is your best friend if you're safe to use it.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
Walking up and blocking is the safest option. While between two machine gun volleys there is time enough to quickly dash and block, if he does the Pistols I'm pretty sure it hits you out of the dash. You can definitely sneak in a dash or two on an unsuspecting Deathstroke player, but after one or two times they might wisen up and mix you up with pistols, resulting in guaranteed damage. I don't have the frame data on hand where I am so I can't confirm or deny this, though. Someone can reassure me?
tl;dr represent your dash to make him respect it, but walk up cautiously when he's got his Pistols ready (which can whiff on crouching = more advancement). It's all mind-games, man.
I think it's possible to load an arrow after a blocked gunshot and still block a follow up gunshot.

LEGEND

YES!

I'm free to Grundy's Walking Corpse lol, how do you all approach that move? I know you can neutral jump but there's gotta be a better solution. I think it might be possible to cancel a string into savage blast on reaction to get away from him, but that's going to take a lot of practice.
canceling into the Bow twirl (it think its called hurricane?) can beat out grundy's armor, savage blast often still gets grabbed and is more timing dependent

a universal option is the MB cancel with FF or BB

Neutral jumping, or jumping in general, isn't a good idea vs grundy. He can cancel Walking corpse into D2 or AA throw on reaction to most jumps

Ryu Gosling

When's Mahvel?
canceling into the Bow twirl (it think its called hurricane?) can beat out grundy's armor, savage blast often still gets grabbed and is more timing dependent

Neutral jumping, or jumping in general, isn't a good idea vs grundy. He can cancel Walking corpse into D2 or AA throw on reaction to most jumps
I think i'd rather eat the damage than burn two meters with a bounce cancel, but protip you can use DF or DB and MB to bounce cancel much easier (for me at least) Agree on savage blast being grabbed though

LEGEND

YES!
I think i'd rather eat the damage than burn two meters with a bounce cancel, but protip you can use DF or DB and MB to bounce cancel much easier (for me at least) Agree on savage blast being grabbed though
i wouldn't bounce cancel as Olly,

But for characters with no other options i think its definitely worth it seeing as you get a full combo and meter builds super quick in this game

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.

I really like savage blast over neutral jumping cause it gives you some damage guaranteed. Neutral jumping sometimes doesn't lead to any damage cause of autocorrecting issues. I haven't tested the hurricane bow though and it sounds solid. Both are easy to practice in the lab. Just record Grundys walking corpse with random timing, dance al little in front of him at any range and do whatever option on reaction to get the timing down. With some practice you will be able to even backdash it consistently on reaction. I know it will be different in a match but I dont think it's harder than teching a throw if you are set to use one of the options to beat that move. Better still you dont have to spend meter.

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
You just have to delay the savage blast a bit. The grab will whiff or he will get knocked down.

Ryu Gosling

When's Mahvel?
You just have to delay the savage blast a bit. The grab will whiff or he will get knocked down.
I don't advocate neutral jumping at all. it'll work, but in half a match Grundy will download it.
I also don't think savage blast is bad. I just don't think it's good haha if grundy is in armor he can walk right through the savage blast and grab you free. If he doesn't armor you come out way in the advantage.
Devils advocating myself here. If Grundy blocks the Hurricane Bow you're getting grabbed. Anything involving Grundy up close is a short flowchart to being grabbed lol

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier

I have issues with grundy as well, but found something that makes me not fear it as much upclose now.

In the lab I found it is possible to D3 on reaction to make the Walking Corpse wiff, or it will knock them down randomly before he throws you. It takes some balls to stand in there and do it. but if you practice I think this is very viable.

The timing is a little tricky to get but just lab it and you'll find the sweet spot, cant hit D3 to early and not to late or you will be grabbed. but there is enough of a window to do it on reaction.

You will either hit him and the move wiffs which leaves you standing there to do a combo (he will probably be able to block, but at least your getting pressure again)

Or it will actually knock him down with the D3, which is HardKnock down. Which is awesome.

Also here is a video my friend STB Charlie murphy made on options for dealing with the 112 string.

NooBooN

I Am Thee Noob Saibot

what I do is dash in and bait it out then db 2/ db 2 MB(MB rips through his armour) to make him slow it up a bit then start jump ins/ f2 d1 mixups

chowdizzle

Time for the Bland Salami!
I actually think GA is either even or + on the matchup vs. Deathstroke. It can be a hard matchup but with the right reads you can make it very difficult for Slade. At first I thought it was an impossible match for Oliver but then I started exploring options. If you can predict a gunshot it can be easy to trade with your Ice Arrow because his guns have so much recovery, you won't get a combo off this cuz you have to dash full screen but you do get into the space that Slade does not want you to be in. The beauty of GA is he has a pretty damn strong vortex and you can make a lot of use out of getting in against Slade. Blocking his sword spin is lethal because you can just d-1 Ice punish and get keep the guessing game going. Also you can get into the mid space and just go fire arrows against him and his options are limited other than blocking which can be hard against high/low arrows.

In my experience so far I don't know a single losing matchup that GA has and I think that is his strongest point, and what puts him in a "high tier" category (tiers lol, really too early to say but GA is amazing.) He can play whatever game he has to and really shuts down certain characters.

I think the GL matchup is hilarious. GL gets dumped on by fire arrows and has such a hard time keeping up with Ollie's frame data and overall speed, when you force GL to come to you is when GL does the worst.

Bus Orez

Noob
Okay, How do you beat black adam? Dive kicks are owning the hell out of me and i cant seem to get close enough to rush him down

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
I actually think GA is either even or + on the matchup vs. Deathstroke. It can be a hard matchup but with the right reads you can make it very difficult for Slade. At first I thought it was an impossible match for Oliver but then I started exploring options. If you can predict a gunshot it can be easy to trade with your Ice Arrow because his guns have so much recovery, you won't get a combo off this cuz you have to dash full screen but you do get into the space that Slade does not want you to be in. The beauty of GA is he has a pretty damn strong vortex and you can make a lot of use out of getting in against Slade. Blocking his sword spin is lethal because you can just d-1 Ice punish and get keep the guessing game going. Also you can get into the mid space and just go fire arrows against him and his options are limited other than blocking which can be hard against high/low arrows.

In my experience so far I don't know a single losing matchup that GA has and I think that is his strongest point, and what puts him in a "high tier" category (tiers lol, really too early to say but GA is amazing.) He can play whatever game he has to and really shuts down certain characters.

I think the GL matchup is hilarious. GL gets dumped on by fire arrows and has such a hard time keeping up with Ollie's frame data and overall speed, when you force GL to come to you is when GL does the worst.
Green Arrow has it tough against Aquaman, his D2 will own about anything GA has and it's hard to get in on him plus GA can't punish him from long range I believe. Green Lantern ji1 owns Green Arrow too. GA d2 gets stuffed and the only thing that will beat it is the up blast on a read or preemptive air to air ji1 (sometimes).

Any character that can zone him even in a mediocre way and can turtle well will give Olie trouble by playing lame. A good Aquaman that plays correctly lame will be hell to deal with. GA has to take risks to get in. Green Arrow is not top in any way i.m.o. You really need to rush and pressure the opponents to frustrate and make them make mistakes and you need to do that consistently cause GA's damage is low. With enough pressure they might use their clash which would mean their death by the next string into ice arrow. A smart player would only clash after the super and make you see your 4 bars go down the drain. I know you can use b3 into b3 but its still a meager 44 percent wich is no big deal. They can clash afterwards and get 33 percent back. Green Arrow takes hard work.

I am confused about something in this thread :confused:

The opening posts show icons of characters and next to them is a "toggle spoiler" option.
I thought once you click on the toggle spoiler a whole slew of advice posted by you guys would show up regarding that particular character. When I click on it nothing happens.

So what is the purpose of the icons and they're toggle spoiler options?

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
I am confused about something in this thread :confused:

The opening posts show icons of characters and next to them is a "toggle spoiler" option.
I thought once you click on the toggle spoiler to a whole slew of advice posted by you guys would show up regarding that particular character under his assigned slot. When I click on it nothing happens.

So what is the purpose of the icons and they're toggle spoiler options?
It has yet to be edited.

Game is new, judging the MUs at the highest level right now is difficult.

Green Nutts

Gotcha!
Fucking batman... What do i do? This character is so broken. His strings are safe as hell and he just keeps doing cross overs because his j.2 is so fucking godlike. How do i get this fucking character off of me? How do i beat him fullscreen? Is there anything i can do? Is he just that much better than GA?

Fucking batman... What do i do? This character is so broken. His strings are safe as hell and he just keeps doing cross overs because his j.2 is so fucking godlike. How do i get this fucking character off of me? How do i beat him fullscreen? Is there anything i can do? Is he just that much better than GA?
This...

and any tips against Molestro?

Erazor

Noob
I really need some help with the Aquaman match up. Today I did around 15 matches against the best Aquaman I met online so far and I managed to win only one of them. What is the best way to deal with him? Rushdown didn't work for me, because of the range on his normals and the pushback on block. My zoning got stuffed by trident from the deep. In practice mode, I tried to zone him again, but the trident has a faster startup than the arrows and is safe on block from about 1/4 screen away. Otherwise, Stinger punishes it.Is there any way to apply some safe pressure or to remove some pressure from GA?

And now I know that jump-ins are useless against Aquaman...

UserJuke

Noob
How should Green Arrow approach the Superman matchup?
I need some advice on this one as well. When he zones, I try and read when he is going to do a jump lazer and jump with one of my arrows and knock him down. Its when I get in and he gets his f23 going I have issues with.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
ugg very down on Arrow right now, once people know hits strings and how to blow up D1Arrow, he feels very limited as a character. Everything he does is gimmicky and beatable. Most people I play now will always just poke when I get close, because even his best strings are 13 and 15 frame start ups and they can usually get a trade with my D1 or even beat it if they have a good reaching 6frame D1.

I was going to do a write up of my stratagys vs Superman Batman and Aquaman, but you know what, you just have to be random as fuck and catch them off guard, I've found that to be the best way to be successful with Arrow.

As much as I've tried to drop him for a herp derp character I just can't, and I will continue to work on him.

Aquaman is just a fuckin nightmare though, Batman as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.