What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Pokes - GODLIKE - (D3 could do more reach but whatever)
- I think his pokes are all fine. I would like for 2 to be a mid, but I think's 2's are universally highs so that's probably wishful thinking.​

Punchwalk - is an amazing move. (I wish you could hit confirm the EX and have an option to make the last hit a low or OH)
- I think that's unreasonable.​

Telestomp - Needs work. (EX Telestomp should launch and track, the only way out is to run. Non EX leave alone.)

- Not really sure what you mean. If you mean launch, as in, a combo starter then I don't think that's reasonable. Maybe if EX stomp were blockable, but then I can't see ppl getting hit by it, except in a combo. At which point it becomes no better than EX PW.
SG - Does not need to throw the opponent away, leaves them right in front of you.
- I agree, though the last patch sort of met us halfway with the extra frame adv. I still think he should have full oki after command grab tho.
Projectile - Should be a mid since it is SUPER slow.
- I'm fine with that in Tigrar and Fangs, but it'd be a little too much for KW.
F3 - Make it 10-11 frames (As it would be the only good advancing Mid he would have.
- I think 10-11 is a little too fast. I'd be fine with 13-14, but I think F3 is good as is TBH
F21- Faster start up, that string is useless unless you land a JIP.
- Agree completely. I think F2 should be at least 12f startup.
Remove U1 or U2 - It is the same move and doesn't need to be there 2 times.
- Agreed.
D2 - Fix the hit box and make it 9 or 10 frames.
- Agreed.
More strings special cancel-able - I would love to see strings like 214 into punchwalk and B121 into Punchwalk.
- Wouldn't mind it, but I don't think it's necessary, espeically if they fix F2.
Make Goro have more Tick Throw setups instead of just B3. (Which is his only low so if you commit to a SG you get punished because it whiffed.)
- Like was mentioned, this doesn't really work unless they slow down the command grab.
B3 - please have a sting involving this move, as its -21 or something on block. (Yes you can cancel it to Punchwalk I know)
- Agreed. If not a string, at least don't make it so negative. That makes absolutely no sense at all.
HitBox on B12U1 - The whiffing on JIP into this sting is annoying.
- Agreed. His only launching string shouldn't be this useless.​

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Telestomp - Needs work. (EX Telestomp should launch and track, the only way out is to run. Non EX leave alone.)
- Not really sure what you mean. If you mean launch, as in, a combo starter then I don't think that's reasonable. Maybe if EX stomp were blockable, but then I can't see ppl getting hit by it, except in a combo. At which point it becomes no better than EX PW.​
By tracking I mean you cannot control where it lands like the regular version. Tracking meaning the second I leave the screen it tracks the position of the opponent. Meaning you can run or backdash to avoid it. It is not hard to avoid it now just by running. And if it hits yes, something simple like F3xPunchwalk afterwords, no elaborate combos. (Not that Goro has any)

So maybe 25-30% off a meter telestomp that you should not get hit by anyway.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
By tracking I mean you cannot control where it lands like the regular version. Tracking meaning the second I leave the screen it tracks the position of the opponent. Meaning you can run or backdash to avoid it. It is not hard to avoid it now just by running. And if it hits yes, something simple like F3xPunchwalk afterwords, no elaborate combos. (Not that Goro has any)

Ah I see what you mean now. I've gotten pretty good at learning when to mix in EX stomp. I don't think it's very easy to avoid, so having it launch would be a little too much IMO. I wouldn't be opposed to a damage buff tho. That way when you AA with it, it actually discourages jump ins. Nobody is going to alter their gameplan because they got hit with a move that costs a bar, does 10% and resets the situation.

I think bufing the damage to 15-17% would be fair.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun

Ah, I thought by tracking you meant more like it can't miss. Kind of like Aquaman's trident in IGAU

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Ah I see what you mean now. I've gotten pretty good at learning when to mix in EX stomp. I don't think it's very easy to avoid, so having it launch would be a little too much IMO. I wouldn't be opposed to a damage buff tho. That way when you AA with it, it actually discourages jump ins. Nobody is going to alter their gameplan because they got hit with a move that costs a bar, does 10% and resets the situation.

I think bufing the damage to 15-17% would be fair.
That is why I say it would launch, this would be his AA. Go ahead and jump and for a bar of meter I get 25-30%

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
That is why I say it would launch, this would be his AA. Go ahead and jump and for a bar of meter I get 25-30%
That makes way more sense now. Instead of launching I kind of agree with what Chief said, just up the damage to like 17-20%. Getting the same damage as the normal version for spending a meter is dumb.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
You get 14% if you hit on the way up. It's designed as an anti-air. I'll take a dam buff for sure but not that it launches.

One of the things that puzzles me is how u1/u2 are the exact same move even though they have a different name - They have the exact same frame data. I think that it instead should instead be split into two moves :

u1 for combo extensions - slower start-up, fast recovery, adds some damage to your combos, will float them higher but gravity boosts extremely fast if you do a second one in the same combo.

u2 for anti-airs - fast startup (I'd say outright 9-10 frames activation) but slow recovery. If you nail it on the tippy top, you can maybe get a EX Punchwalk, but it's there to bring people out of the air onto the ground. If you miss, you fucked up and get punished.

You don't have to change the animation for either, but gave them the specialization they need to be fun moves, as well as fix two problems (optimized damage being a bit lower than other characters, and lack of anti-air). I'd say it's a more practical fix than a lot of other things proposed.

Also, b12u2 needs a Dust Devil.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
[REDACTED] - Felt kind of mean to poke fun of another player, especially someone actually using Goro in a tourney...

Last edited:

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
You really can't do that to Goro. U2 will destroy crossover attempts every time. Actually, as deep as that Lao was attacking, Goro could've just done stand 1 or D1.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
That's why it's hilarious and painful to watch.

No offense to the player, i've seen few people actually use U1/U2 when the situation calls.

That said we gotta support the people who dare to use Goro in tourneys.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
You really can't do that to Goro. U2 will destroy crossover attempts every time. Actually, as deep as that Lao was attacking, Goro could've just done stand 1 or D1.
I disagree. U1/U2 would have to be done on a guess in that scenario. As for 1 and D1, not sure would that work since 1 is too slow and D1 requires the opponent to go for a deep hit.

As for anti airs, is 1 better than 2? I would think 1 has the lower hitbox and 2 has the higher one.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Wouldn't have been much of a guess in that scenario, that Lao was doing that all throughout the set, I'd say it was more a matter of timing.

Then again I wasn't in that scenario so I can't comment.

U1/U2 isn't super fast, that gap may have been tighter than it seems.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I ran a stretch with Goro today. He is TOUGH to win with.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
As for anti airs, is 1 better than 2? I would think 1 has the lower hitbox and 2 has the higher one.
They, for all intents and purposes, are the same move. Exact same frame data, exact same hitbox, exact same damage and cancel properties.

Yes, you can do U1/2 xx EX Telestomp. Is it viable? No. Is it sweg as fuck? Yea.

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
that said precious few other characters interest me and i still don't think goro is completely outclassed across the board, he's bad but he isn't Grundy/sheeva bad
I used to main Sheeva through most of mk9, her d3 into low grab lead to easy meterless 36% combo or an only slightly more tricky 50%ish combo on blocking opponents. Air grab saved me so many times from mileenas telekicks, sonya and kungs dive kicks, while goro sits there and gets constantly kicked in the face. Sheeva's strings were bad but she was much better in certain aspects of playstyle.

So I've been messing around with corner pressure potential. From an outside perspective, a lot of these options are bad, especially if you look at them individually, but when used together after conditioning the opponent, I think it's actually the best thing about Goro (Tigrar)'s gameplan.

alright, so you punchwalk'd/command grab'd someone and they're in the corner. Then:

If they wakeup: 3D3 to stuff their wakeup (if possible) or meaty normal into EX Punchwalk

If they don't wakeup: Meaty F21 xx whatever

From meaty F21, theres stuff you can do like fire breath/2+4/punchwalk/telestomp

punchwalk to discourage them from armoring through

fire breath to maintain pressure after you've discouraged them from armoring through

2+4 to setup a counter poke situation with your d4 or to go into a tick throw using d1

and if they're respecting your corner game by a lot (this is probably the option you'd be most skeptical of in this situation), telestomp. I think it's actually not that bad to try out in a situation where you've established your corner game. Of course, never do it in any other situation, telestomp is fucking suicide. But I like this a lot more than trying to make low fireball work. I tried making low fireball work after discovering that you can combo off it meterless in the corner, but the timing/spacing from doing stuff like d4 xx low fireball makes it near impossible to combo (then again, this is all online). And the only reason I ever went for low fireball would be just to catch them off guard into a full combo.

Of course, the potential reward from low fireball in the corner vs telestomp is one-sided in low fireball's favor, but it serves it's purpose in the "doing this to catch you off guard during pressure" department. I know this sounds incredibly gimmicky, especially from a mostly online player, but I'd rather talk strats over potential buffs for the nth time so why not talk about our biggest strength and try to make it even stronger?

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
In the corner, Flame breath puts them in a restand on hit, so if it lands you can command grab immediately and not have to worry about timing it after the hit stun. Also means the opponent pretty much has to be holding up or they get scooped. If you anticipate the jump, you can guess U2 and if it lands, full combo.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I have labbed TF as well today. I have to admit i was kinda wrong about the current variation. He seems really solid against certain characters and especially characters who dont have a teleport. He is still gimmicky as hell though. The mixup is there but i dont know if he can be as good as KW overall.

I ll continue labbing him though for sure. His corner damage off a f3xxdb4, with one bar, exceeds 40% dmg easily. If only f3xxground fire was uninterruptible... As for AAing outside of sweep range, flame breath seems to be doing good work so far.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Is it just me, or does the opponent recover slower from stomp post patch? Hidden buff, or simply bad patch notes?

Is it just me, or does the opponent recover slower from stomp post patch? Hidden buff, or simply bad patch notes?
I don't know if TonyT already tried it, but would it be possible to follow stomp with EX Ground Pound for a restand and extra damage? This is assuming Goro has more advantage after Stomp than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.