What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 16 frames. Not too good to throw out in the neutral but it's a good meaty, especially in the corner.
exactly this, im getting some pretty good results from it, people become terrified of blocking low and cant just block high or eat the low and start making some really desperate jump attempts which is giving me some pretty decent meterless corner damage.

If people are interested ill try and stream it after Evo on Monday
http://www.twitch.tv/thenextlevelgames

So we've got Tremor coming around the corner, anybody considering picking him up with Goro? The Tan Man Team might be a fun set.

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
At first I said I'm only playing Jacqui until Tremor comes along.

Same thing with Goro for the most part. I'm still gonna stick with him, but Tremor man.

Espio

Kokomo
Gonna try Tremor, but beyond that who knows? Only characters I really enjoy playing are Goro and Kitana at the moment.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
It's over for me guys. Lost to a lao and zero jumping on me. The zero got jumping bean achievement on me too. I hate this game

Mortal Komhat

welp, if he had obviously broken shit that was applicable in all situations you'd see more goro

as it stands he just doesn't have what it takes.

D_Matt_Ma

Zero is sub. I hate using my phone. What cost me was I tried punishing his slide with b12u2 and magic whiff happened twice back to back after working 4 times before.

The kung lao wrecked me. Barely got a round. He used buzz saw, which kills goro even harder

Mortal Komhat

gotta be mindful of those hitboxes - I'd straight up go to punchwalk or to 21 for a punish in that situation - unoptimal perhaps, but unless/until they have b12u2 vacuum then yeah.

also, anyone tested that string in open/close stance? There's some weirdness with that in the game. 2 in close stance has them stagger back correctly, but 2 in open forces them in closed stance.

Not a goddammit Paulo moment, but certainly something to think about.

D_Matt_Ma

gotta be mindful of those hitboxes - I'd straight up go to punchwalk or to 21 for a punish in that situation - unoptimal perhaps, but unless/until they have b12u2 vacuum then yeah.

also, anyone tested that string in open/close stance? There's some weirdness with that in the game. 2 in close stance has them stagger back correctly, but 2 in open forces them in closed stance.

Not a goddammit Paulo moment, but certainly something to think about.
Yes... it sucks always. Should have a not suck and suck harder stance, but no break for goro

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Lol, I've gotten blown up for trying to punish it with command grab. Goro's hitboxes really make me sad sometimes. Props for trying to rep, though.

Espio

Kokomo
Aside from 3, down 3 being used for its armor breaking properties, I found back 1,2,1 to be a great string for breaking some armor moves as well. I was stuffing a lot of Predator's and some of Kotal Kahn's wake ups in war god with it and the best part is even if they block right, this string is plus.

It sometimes whiffs, but it's not a super common occurrence like the launcher version and you can always do back 1 punchwalk on block for chip and a fast mid option as well.

That normal is underused in general in my opinion.

Mortal Komhat

Aside from 3, down 3 being used for its armor breaking properties, I found back 1,2,1 to be a great string for breaking some armor moves as well. I was stuffing a lot of Predator's and some of Kotal Kahn's wake ups in war god with it and the best part is even if they block right, this string is plus.

It sometimes whiffs, but it's not a super common occurrence like the launcher version and you can always do back 1 punchwalk on block for chip and a fast mid option as well.

That normal is underused in general in my opinion.
Hell we're not even using 112 and that's a hard knockdown.

121 is decent don't get me wrong but iirc it scales like a motherfucker if you start a EX punchwalk combo with it.

Espio

Kokomo
@Decay those gains <3.

Hell we're not even using 112 and that's a hard knockdown.

121 is decent don't get me wrong but iirc it scales like a motherfucker if you start a EX punchwalk combo with it.
I stopped using 1,1,2 because it's minus 30 something on block and I haven't experimented with using it to end combos too much, but I have used it to end combos in the corner, maybe there's some good set ups to be gleaned.

Back 1, punchwalk does 4.38% compared to 5.38% for forward 3 punchwalk, but is a nine frame mid. Back 1, ex punchwalk does 31%, does an extra 1% if you add the 2 of back 1,2. There's no real downside other than around 3% less damage cause there's no gap, safe, good chip, launches for over 30% for a bar etc.

This should be apart of his pressure system and is guaranteed after any on hit down 3 so you can basically use this to set up shokan grabs after you've conditioned the respect. Can also open up your slower mid hitting, overhead and other options.

1,2,1 is pretty good for setting up mix ups too since all the point of it are plus or neutral ish so you can do small delay into command grab, cancel into punchwalk, down 1/down 3, regular throw etc to keep people guessing.

Incorporating all that with his Tigrar Fury specific mix ups is making me excited to level up a lot more with him.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I don't know about you guys, but I've sort of started to move away from the "cancel every normal into punch walk" strategy. It's good chip and meter build but against good opponents, you're usually just offering up free pressure on yourself.

Instead, I've been going to D3 more at close range as opposed to D1 (D1 is +7 and D3 is +12 IIRC) and using that frame advantage to go for the 50/50. B3 is 13 frames and 3D3 is 15 frames so they have to respect it if D3 hits. If they block B3 PW they still eat chip. If they block 3D3, PW doesn't come out and you're -2 instead of -5 (or -3 if you're using Fang spin).

Sometimes, off of D3, I'll even do F3 and mix up PW and command grab. It works suprisingly well. Can probably do some shenanigans with 11 off the D3 as well, but I haven't played around with that yet.

Decay

King of the Bill
Anyone got a link to Decay's games in pools with Goro? Stream archive?
The sad part was that Kitana Prime came up to me and was like, you're using Goro right? I'm like yea. So he wanted my semi-finals / finals on stream and when I told the dude running my bracket, he's like "KP didn't say anything to me about it so lets just play offstream". I literally mopped everyone up except for Digit's Raiden. I couldn't do shit against his 112 string except hope to catch him in an armored punchwalk. #thestruggle

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
The sad part was that Kitana Prime came up to me and was like, you're using Goro right? I'm like yea. So he wanted my semi-finals / finals on stream and when I told the dude running my bracket, he's like "KP didn't say anything to me about it so lets just play offstream". I literally mopped everyone up except for Digit's Raiden. I couldn't do shit against his 112 string except hope to catch him in an armored punchwalk. #thestruggle
lol Sorry about that. I train a lot with Digit so he knows the matchup well. You have to just block and then blow up the holes in his run cancels. When I beat him in the last local, I used fangs and did nothing but block and wait for the run cancel and then blast him with EX spin into ~35%.

Decay

King of the Bill
lol Sorry about that. I train a lot with Digit so he knows the matchup well. You have to just block and then blow up the holes in his run cancels. When I beat him in the last local, I used fangs and did nothing but block and wait for the run cancel and then blast him with EX spin into ~35%.
No doubt dude. I don't have a raiden to practice against here in the Break area. I wish I had more matchup experience in general though

Haven't tried Tremor yet due to a blown CPU, but seeing the ground quake made me think, "Well, so much for Goro's unique tool."

Espio

Kokomo
Tremor's ground pound is better than Goro's... typical FUCK NRS Bullsh!t.
I said it before and I'll say it again. FUCK NRS! Buff Kitana and company because they're popular.

With all due respect, you should really just play a top tier character instead of spreading so much salt and negative energy all the time. You do this in every game (at least every NRS game since MK9) where you play characters like Hawkgirl, Goro, Sheeva etc then ball your eyes out cause they're not as good as you hope or think they should be constantly. It's like you almost want to have a reason to bitch.

This is the third game in a row of this and I only know this cause I happen to use all these characters over the last couple years unfortunately.

It changes nothing and on top of it changing nothing, it's unproductive and adds nothing to the discussion, it's annoying and the amount of people discouraged from talking or discussing due to such rampant whining is a huge turn off too.

Good lord. Work with the tools you've got or move on to someone else. Everyone needs to stop relying on NRS to save the day, make him work due to YOUR merits as a player. He has flaws and problems, nobody disputes this, but if you're not gonna grind, just move on.

None of us, myself included are playing this or any other character to the highest possible level or potential yet and nobody knows most of the match ups, buffs would be great, but put in work, whining has never solved any of my problems in real life or in gaming, only working hard or struggling has. If you don't like working harder, play top tier and leggo.

I don't know about you guys, but I've sort of started to move away from the "cancel every normal into punch walk" strategy. It's good chip and meter build but against good opponents, you're usually just offering up free pressure on yourself.

Instead, I've been going to D3 more at close range as opposed to D1 (D1 is +7 and D3 is +12 IIRC) and using that frame advantage to go for the 50/50. B3 is 13 frames and 3D3 is 15 frames so they have to respect it if D3 hits. If they block B3 PW they still eat chip. If they block 3D3, PW doesn't come out and you're -2 instead of -5 (or -3 if you're using Fang spin).

Sometimes, off of D3, I'll even do F3 and mix up PW and command grab. It works suprisingly well. Can probably do some shenanigans with 11 off the D3 as well, but I haven't played around with that yet.
I'm gonna combine your ideas with mine and using back 1 alongside 3,down 3 and back 3 a lot more, the natural option select in 3 down 3 is under appreciated :).

Status
Not open for further replies.