What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4lo8o

Warrior
All this talk about how Sheeva would do in MK X is silly

So? Somebody has to be the worst and he at least competes with most of the cast in my experience. There's "MK9 RIP" bad, then there's "IGAU 6 3-7s" bad, and there's MKX bad. I don't think being bad in this game is a death sentence
I don't know about Goro specifically, but I do want to point out that at this point in Injustice people were making this same sentiment about how the bottom tier wasn't bad at all and everyone was viable. It ended up not as bad as MK9 but a lot of that was the result of better patching than MK9 had

There's a tendency for the top tier to get better and the bottom tier to get worse as the game goes on. It's not universal, but often the characters with a lot of tools early on go on to have even more tech and better tools and the character with a lack of tool find their weaknesses being exploited better and harder as time goes by. My character, Ares, was pegged as low-ish tier early on and despite getting repeatedly buffed he ended up getting worse in relation to the cast rather than better

I don't know enough about this game to make any serious pleas for buffs but I do worry that some of Goro's issues like poor range on his strings, lack of really solid anti airs, relatively low damage, and poor movement are going to really haunt him later in this games life - especially since there aren't many things he's really strong at to counteract his weak points

Actually while I'm comparing to Ares I have a question for you guys. Does Goro have trouble punishing things that most of the cast can punish? It feels like there's a lot of things that should be punishable that I can't quite figure out how to punish. B1 in particular never seems to work as well as I want it to

Last edited:

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
I agree with what was asked for before. A more consistent B21U2, a better anti air, slightly better move speed and etc... But if I had it my way I'd love to have 121 be mid mid mid. Just sayin

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
All this talk about how Sheeva would do in MK X is silly

I don't know about Goro specifically, but I do want to point out that at this point in Injustice people were making this same sentiment about how the bottom tier wasn't bad at all and everyone was viable. It ended up not as bad as MK9 but a lot of that was the result of better patching than MK9 had

There's a tendency for the top tier to get better and the bottom tier to get worse as the game goes on. It's not universal, but often the characters with a lot of tools early on go on to have even more tech and better tools and the character with a lack of tool find their weaknesses being exploited better and harder as time goes by. My character, Ares, was pegged as low-ish tier early on and despite getting repeatedly buffed he ended up getting worse in relation to the cast rather than better

I don't know enough about this game to make any serious pleas for buffs but I do worry that some of Goro's issues like poor range on his strings, lack of really solid anti airs, relatively low damage, and poor movement are going to really haunt him later in this games life - especially since there aren't many things he's really strong at to counteract his weak points

Actually while I'm comparing to Ares I have a question for you guys. Does Goro have trouble punishing things that most of the cast can punish? It feels like there's a lot of things that should be punishable that I can't quite figure out how to punish. B1 in particular never seems to work as well as I want it to
Use 121 and cancel into whatever. I find that works.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I'm telling you guys, Goro's AA is legit in Fangs. It still costs a bar but you do a lot of damage off of AA EX Fang spin. That covers jump ins. Crossovers are actually handled well with U2, it just takes some getting used to as far as reacting with it (I'm not there yet, not even close). Or you can do EX stomp, which also takes care of annoying ass neutral jumps like Kung Jin, F/T and Raiden.

I use Fangs almost exclusively now because of it. Even then I still have problems with AA (it DOES take meter..) but with the other variations, I almost exclusively lose to jump in, 50/50 so I pretty much only use Fangs, even though I really like the tools in TF and KW. Fang spin is just too good.

If you need evidence, look at top 32 from CEO. See KH Showtime and KH Digit? I took out both of them (Sonya and Raiden) in our last local using Fangs. Although I did get 6-0'd in the GF runback with Showtime :(

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I agree with what was asked for before. A more consistent B21U2, a better anti air, slightly better move speed and etc... But if I had it my way I'd love to have 121 be mid mid mid. Just sayin
The only thing I really want is b12u2 to be more consistent. I would give up any other buffs for that string to hit every time if the first hits land

Reactions: SPY
So correct me if I'm wrong but afaik goro can't link anything of 3d3 and f4 overheads midscreen, except from tigrar fury variation. I've done some testing and it seems EXstomp is the only safe guaranteed followup after f4 midscreen (I've tested only with dragon fangs though). Well even that can probably be armored out with a wakeup but I'm not sure. Anyone knows more about that possibility? I haven't tested with kuatan yet, maybe he can use EX ground pound or something...

I'm not talking bout combos of course, I'm talking about possible safe followups.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
So correct me if I'm wrong but afaik goro can't link anything of 3d3 and f4 overheads midscreen, except from tigrar fury variation. I've done some testing and it seems EXstomp is the only safe guaranteed followup after f4 midscreen (I've tested only with dragon fangs though). Well even that can probably be armored out with a wakeup but I'm not sure. Anyone knows more about that possibility? I haven't tested with kuatan yet, maybe he can use EX ground pound or something...

I'm not talking bout combos of course, I'm talking about possible safe followups.
3D3 can be canceled into EX PW for a combo midscreen. You don't get anything off of F4 in DF and TF. The opponent can armor, backdash or tech roll out of that setup. I still advise going for it at least once tho just in case the opponent doesn't know about it or isn't expecting it. In KW, you do get the EX ground poung OTG after F4.

Gurg

Noob
I would recommend cancelling 3d3 into telestomp (hold forward) midscreen if you don't want to spend meter. Totally inescapable (I hope?) and leaves you close enough for pressure afterward.

Thanks both for that info! So ex telestomp setup after f4 isn't safe, as I thought. Yeah it's still nice to check them with it every once in a while I guess.

But what about canceling into telestomp or extelestomp immediatelly after 3d3 connects. This seems guaranteed, although a bit hard execution wise. I know this shouldn't be a viable tactic of doing anything, but it could come as occasional surprise for quite some opponents.

Well sorry now I see that's what @Gurg was saying already in a post above.

Last edited:

ruff321

Kombatant
I need to have a day where the only variation I use is Fangs. I rely wayy too much on TF/KW because of its advantages in alot of MUs

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Eh surprisingly I found ex telestomp to work relatively well for emergency AA, but it's risky as all hell and it wastes a bar.

Unless we all conveniently forgot that it hits on the way up and it has 1 hit of armor.
Yeah but EX Punchwalk and EX ground pound are too good for me to use meter on anything else outside of an emergency breaker.

I can see it being useful in a pinch though, that's for sure.

ruff321

Kombatant
I find myself using EX telestomp alot these days. Really good AA but the biggest downside to the move is that you have to spend a bar which makes me sad :(

I need to have a day where the only variation I use is Fangs. I rely wayy too much on TF/KW because of its advantages in alot of MUs
It sucks not having Ground Pound or fireballs, but goddam it feels good to outpoke everyone from a mile away. If the opponent is going to be in your face the whole match, give it a try.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Realistically, what characters can Goro really zone out with TF fireballs and/or KW ground pound? I doubt the list is very long. And I highly doubt those characters are in the top 10 and used by many. GM Sub is the only one that comes to mind; KW bodies clones. I can't think of any other or any match at all where TF is better than Fangs.

I'd like to hear feedback from KW and TF users.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I use ground pound to counter zone more than actual zoning. if they're sitting at fullscreen i'll ground pound and tele stomp after they get knocked down, it's a bit harder with a trade but still possible. I can't think of any character that can wake-up with anything fast enough to stop it, so it's pretty much a free in as long you can read if they're going to move or not(if they aren't attacking).

Realistically, what characters can Goro really zone out with TF fireballs and/or KW ground pound? I doubt the list is very long. And I highly doubt those characters are in the top 10 and used by many. GM Sub is the only one that comes to mind; KW bodies clones. I can't think of any other or any match at all where TF is better than Fangs.

I'd like to hear feedback from KW and TF users.
you are correct sir. No one you can reliably zone with KW of TF (with the exception of KW and GM Sub) are in top 20 imo. No one with a dive kick or TP are zoneable anyway (Kung Lao has both of those..... cause ya know... hes balanced and shit)

Espio

Kokomo
I zone Stunt double Cage, Kotal Kahn, Ferra/Torr and others with Tigrar Fury come to mind. I can assure you that TF is the best choice for Kitana over the other two as well just to check her. People have TF twisted. You're not winning off purely zoning, you're winning off of it complimenting your other tools really, it's a tandem process.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
So fighting Kung Lao is fucking hopeless. I'm so happy for the KL community that NRS gave that character practically fucking everything.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I've gradually shifted to TF being the default variation and KW being the second. If I'm fighting someone who can deal with Ground Pound, I'd rather have TF. Still not sold on DF other than the "I'm going to lose to this Kung Lao and hope I can hit him."

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
I understand how his tools work, just (in my experience) you don't get much opportunity to use them except in a few matchups. How do you guys use those tools to check Cassie, Sonya, Ermac, Tanya, Jacqui, Kung Lao, D'Vorah, Mileena, Kitana or Raiden?

I have success with KW against Sub and it's looking like it may do well against Kenshi, but ground pound and chest lunge just don't help out as much in those MU's as fang spin, as weird as that probably sounds.

TF, I really like the tools. Hell I spent a good 2 or 3 weeks preaching about Flame breath pressure, but most of the top characters are just on top of you too much for it to be useful, not to mention once they learn to armor through. Low fireball is like ground pound; i can throw it out every once in awhile as a check, but it's just not something I can make the opponent constantly afraid of.

There aren't many characters that are content to just sit back and throw shit all day, and the ones that do are good enough at it (Cyber Kano, Quan Chi, Shinnok, Etherial Mileena, RS/Assasin Kitana) that ground pound and low flame don't really help in the matchup anyway.

But regardless, most chars get their damage in this game by running or jumping in and mauling you with 50/50s and Goro just doesn't have anything in TF and KW to discourage that IMO. Seriously tho, if you guys know how to deal with those chars above I'd like to know. Not being rhetorical.

Status
Not open for further replies.