What's new

General discussion Tech/Strategy/Questions

Ya know, this makes no sense. Watch Slips at 0:18. He is BLOCKING when PL's KL is above is head but he still somehow nails the D1 anti cross up. How? This never works. I always have to let go of block before they jump. Laag? Input delay?

Thing is,i can't go online,somethings wrong and it won't let me go online,the only times i can go on are on the morning when i'm either off to school or all my friends are off.

The njkicks are offline and i'm already learning Shang,he's my secondary,while i like scorpion's pressure and all the setups i'm not gonna waste hours in a training room when the only offline fighting i do is vs a friend who plays once a month.

unless i can actually go online i'm not spending another minute in mk except when i'm desperately trying to logon
I know how you feel man, but you should convince more of your friends to play mk, that is how I get my offline experience

zaf

professor
I use ps2 pad and I use ermac. I do a lot of iafb and ive gotten it down. I just practised it forever.
I do have to do it really fast but its something I managed to learn. I can go in training and do it over and over without messing up

Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk

Your Scorpion is better than average but this is what you should work on:
1. Too much use of D+3. That is Scorpion's worse low poke, and it's -7 on hit/block.​
2. Random AA Spear. It's too risky, so you should only attempt to AA Spear when the opponent is coming down off the highest point of their jump.​
3. Use 3,3 more so you wont get poke or hit with an uppercut.​
4. Switch up your patterns. I can see that you like 1,1-throw but mix it up with 1-throw or 1,1-3,3-throw etc.​
5. Meter management. You burn meter like an SUV burns gas.​
Versus Kitana:
1. Too much jumping. She isn't a character that you want to jump against because she can anti-air you off a random fan.​
2. Too much hellfire. It can only bother her if shes zoning on the ground, and she can use instant air fans to get around it.​
3. Don't block fans. To get in, dash and D+1 or D+4 to move and duck simultaneously.​

way too many random spears against kitana, I wouldnt neutral jump against kitana, try a footsie game outside of her d1, dont try to poke kitana, let them respect your 1,1,1 string before you try something after the second hit, neutral crouch to avoid fans, like KOE said, try dashing in carefully with d4, use more takedown, too many hellfires against kitana, wouldnt recommend doing f3 2,1+2 not reccomended, try full range b2.

Your d1 antiairs were pretty good and there is a lot of potential in your scorpion

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Work on your combos too. (I assume this was online though, so maybe you already have your combos down and went for simple combos online)
Like, the great void is what you should always go for off of the AA spear...but if you're online it probably won't work.

After the F21~Teleport ender, go for your safe jump, and don't do 2,2+1 until your opponent has been conditioned to expect 2~Takedown.
Use D4~Takedown as your go to footsie more, along with D1.

As mentioned, D3 is terrible. -7 on hit means you can't even block the opponents counter D1.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Work on your combos too. (I assume this was online though, so maybe you already have your combos down and went for simple combos online)
Like, the great void is what you should always go for off of the AA spear...but if you're online it probably won't work.

After the F21~Teleport ender, go for your safe jump, and don't do 2,2+1 until your opponent has been conditioned to expect 2~Takedown.
Use D4~Takedown as your go to footsie more, along with D1.

As mentioned, D3 is terrible. -7 on hit means you can't even block the opponents counter D1.
almost spilled my sprite,-7 ON BLOCK?!

also,the great void is a pain in the ass to do and isn't it the same 50/50 still with some added damage?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
This is bullshit,i give up trying to iATP and suddenly do it twice in a row online when i rarely do it offline.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Rome

Noob
Qwark28 Hey man :D I´ll try to load up the next part today! Maybe i´ll load the 3rd part up, too ;) Like i said: It needs time and i have many "Lets Play" and "Lets Fight!" projects atm, so i havent many time^^
And i had yesterday a lot of fights and now i´m better again ;) Maybe we can fight today!

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
I find it a lot harder on a ps3 pad, on a regular xbox d-pad it moves with my thumb so it's a lot easier.

The stiffness of the ps3 pad makes it very hard for me, but it's all down to personal preference. I've been using an xbox pad for a while so.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Scoot already kind of mentioned the stipulation for when it works best. If they try and cross you up at point blank range your character has time to fully turn around during the cross-over and you can time the d1. If they are a little further back, your character has less time to turn around and their jp is coming at you at a harsher angle making it extremely hard. There were plenty of times I failed in my anti-cross over d1's, so sometimes its hard to judge.

If your playing online I wouldn't even bother.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Never found a good converter no.
IMHO that would hinder you a lot at tournaments.
I believe they make a converter that lets you use 360 pads on PS3. I'll do a google search around.

What pad do you actually play with on your 360?
Not the standard 360 pad?!

Scoot already kind of mentioned the stipulation for when it works best. If they try and cross you up at point blank range your character has time to fully turn around during the cross-over and you can time the d1. If they are a little further back, your character has less time to turn around and their jp is coming at you at a harsher angle making it extremely hard. There were plenty of times I failed in my anti-cross over d1's, so sometimes its hard to judge.

If your playing online I wouldn't even bother.
Oh I see. When they're close you have a bigger window, offline at least. The only reason I kinda want the next game to be released soon is cause Im assuming the net coding will be a lot better, especially after patches. I'd still prefer another Shaolin Monks type adventure game before it though. That was a great game.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
K.O.E_18
PerfectMindGame
PimpUigi
Slips
Sindelia

Part 2 is up,it's right after part 1

wasn't aware but i stopped doing some crap.
There's also an iATP (not sure) at 8:01,first one i actually did online,still need advice about the jumpkicks,i do the inputs yet a jumpkick comes out,it's VERY annoying.

THINGS I NEED TO FIX:

Love to b2 after jip
Jump too often
Poor mixups
Poor mindgames
Poor corner execution

ATM trying to learn d1 spear after double tele and the great void,any advice is welcome.

Adjustments you should make:
1. @0:33 - Blocked (EX)TP is +10 so you have frame advantage. Good follow up is 3,3 or 1,1 if you anticipate a jump.​
2. @0.40 - Blocked F+3 is o on block. It also pushes your opponent back so its very safe. When it's blocked you can njp if you anticipate a jump and on hit you should 3,3xxTD.​
3. @4:02 - That was a perfect AA spear. Try to do that & not random spears.​
4. @4:14 - After an AA spear you cannot use that BnB because the gravity changes.​
5. @5:13 - Be aware of your spacing on screen, and know your BnB. It seemed like you purposely dropped that combo because you didn't know a corner BnB​
6. Use more anti-air. Scorpion has really great anti-air options that all lead to vortex setups.​
7. Your vortex could use some work.​
8. Better footsies and more use of D+4. Also, know when you can poke and when you cant.​
Vs Sub-Zero:
The best way to beat Subz is to turtle, stay defensive, and zone with good spacing. He can't do Scorpion any harm if you stay at full screen. He has a few options:​
1. Ice Ball (does no chip and can be punished by (EX)spear From full screen)​
2. Slide (can easily be reacted to from full screen or jump distance)​
3. Dash in with Ice Clones (Keep hellfire under his butt to bait jumps and AA spear him)​
4. Be careful to not get liberal with hellfire he can (EX) slide through it, but ironically it puts you back into your comfort zone.​
Scorpion can counter all his tools and force him to make mistakes and to become the aggressor.
Hope I helped dude

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Adjustments you should make:
1. @0:33 - Blocked (EX)TP is +10 so you have frame advantage. Good follow up is 3,3 or 1,1 if you anticipate a jump.​
2. @0.40 - Blocked F+3 is o on block. It also pushes your opponent back so its very safe. When it's blocked you can njp if you anticipate a jump and on hit you should 3,3xxTD.​
3. @4:02 - That was a perfect AA spear. Try to do that & not random spears.​
4. @4:14 - After an AA spear you cannot use that BnB because the gravity changes.​
5. @5:13 - Be aware of your spacing on screen, and know your BnB. It seemed like you purposely dropped that combo because you didn't know a corner BnB​
6. Use more anti-air. Scorpion has really great anti-air options that all lead to vortex setups.​
7. Your vortex could use some work.​
8. Better footsies and more use of D+4. Also, know when you can poke and when you cant.​
Vs Sub-Zero:
The best way to beat Subz is to turtle, stay defensive, and zone with good spacing. He can't do Scorpion any harm if you stay at full screen. He has a few options:​
1. Ice Ball (does no chip and can be punished by (EX)spear From full screen)​
2. Slide (can easily be reacted to from full screen or jump distance)​
3. Dash in with Ice Clones (Keep hellfire under his butt to bait jumps and AA spear him)​
4. Be careful to not get liberal with hellfire he can (EX) slide through it, but ironically it puts you back into your comfort zone.​
Scorpion can counter all his tools and force him to make mistakes and to become the aggressor.
Hope I helped dude
Thanks!

Yeah,i dropped a lot of combos because i never noticed i reached the corner and when i tried to do a corner combo i either got all 3 21's and he dropped too fast or 2 21's and after 33 spear he was too high,corner combo's are impossible online with scorpion (for me).

how do you propose i learn the great void?the suprise factor is huge on unaware people but f43 spear is already hard enough to land offline.

Since i main sub i know his options so i never jump if i predict a clone but i never knew it's a bad MU for sub because i've never fought a decent scorpion except from OnizukaPM

also have a slight problem with AA,sometimes i hold the r2 button and get d1 ex TP

Thanks!

Yeah,i dropped a lot of combos because i never noticed i reached the corner and when i tried to do a corner combo i either got all 3 21's and he dropped too fast or 2 21's and after 33 spear he was too high,corner combo's are impossible online with scorpion (for me).

how do you propose i learn the great void?the suprise factor is huge on unaware people but f43 spear is already hard enough to land offline.

Since i main sub i know his options so i never jump if i predict a clone but i never knew it's a bad MU for sub because i've never fought a decent scorpion except from OnizukaPM

also have a slight problem with AA,sometimes i hold the r2 button and get d1 ex TP
Everything to get you started on the void here:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-great-void-decoded-video.13236/

Practice these anti-air moves:
D+1 xx TP
3 xx TP
B+2

Slips
PimpUigi
K.O.E_18
PerfectMindGame

Any tips in iATP?I've almost got the timing down but when i try to tele i miss some buttons and end up trying to press up down 3 or up left/right/ 3.

which is a shame because iATP's come out much more often now!
sorry man, i dont have a clue, I dont really use it

PimpUigi, I just ordered a ps3 converter for a ps2 pad, hear ps2 pads were better than ps3 ones. what are the differences? I know I can annoy the hell out of myself from the weird triggers for r2 block button on ps3 pad, but I also heard from street fighter players that the dpad is a lot better, it looks the same to me though.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
I don't play fighting games with either.
IMHO the PS3 controller is way more comfortable than the PS2 controller since they changed the back.

I use the Xbox S controller for every game that doesn't require four shoulder buttons.
I have multiple adapters for it so I can use it on the PS2, every new system, and PC.

I also have converters for Sega Genesis to PC and PS3.
It has an R button as well as 6 buttons and the start button which is actually the triangle button on PS3...lol
My Kabal sparring partner uses this for MK9...if it didn't have an R button though he'd be screwed.

Vagrant

Noob
I know it's been discussed... So I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse but I can not for the life of me get it down consistently... I've been buffering it and hitting the jk with 4 and then I immediately hit 3 and Ive tried hitting the jk with 3 and then negative edging the tele punch but I can't get it down consistently!

I think the problem is the njp, b2 and hitting with the initial kick. Any tips as to when to jk after the b2. As soon as I hit b2 i hold the directional buttons for jk. should i wait? Is there a certain time I should hit with the b2 after the njp? I see other scorps that I destroy online hit this like it's nothing and it's bugging the hell out of me!

Any help is apreciated guys thanks!

I don't play fighting games with either.
IMHO the PS3 controller is way more comfortable than the PS2 controller since they changed the back.

I use the Xbox S controller for every game that doesn't require four shoulder buttons.
I have multiple adapters for it so I can use it on the PS2, every new system, and PC.

I also have converters for Sega Genesis to PC and PS3.
It has an R button as well as 6 buttons and the start button which is actually the triangle button on PS3...lol
My Kabal sparring partner uses this for MK9...if it didn't have an R button though he'd be screwed.

Yeah I have trouble looking for good pads with a floating dpad. original sony pads work fine for MK, but Im getting into sf lately again,because sf x tekken is coming out and im getting into that came as well.