What's new

FRQ|Emperor Theo Wins Injustice: Gods Among Us at MLG:Anaheim 2014!

I hate to say this, as Theo seems like a really nice dude, but I cannot help but root for his opponent in every single match. He is THE anti-hype, and I'm pretty sure that if he's in the grand finals at EVO then Injustice will never recover. He's got great fundamentals, but that is totally overshadowed by the clusterfuck of cheapness that is trident rush + trait + THE SAME GODDAMN COMBO EVERY GODDAMN TIME!!! And if he plays his secondary, what do we get? F23~breath! There's no questioning Theo's skill, but I think every match he plays on stream puts a nail into the Injustice coffin.

BS3OOO

Noob
Congrats Theo! I think it's kind of hype how he's this great force in the game and how no one expects to beat him. I'm interested in the different approaches people will take to eliminate him. Once again, congrats to the undisputed champ Theo.

I hate to say this, as Theo seems like a really nice dude, but I cannot help but root for his opponent in every single match. He is THE anti-hype, and I'm pretty sure that if he's in the grand finals at EVO then Injustice will never recover. He's got great fundamentals, but that is totally overshadowed by the clusterfuck of cheapness that is trident rush + trait + THE SAME GODDAMN COMBO EVERY GODDAMN TIME!!! And if he plays his secondary, what do we get? F23~breath! There's no questioning Theo's skill, but I think every match he plays on stream puts a nail into the Injustice coffin.
That's a really brave post my friend. I believe injustice is generally a lesser quick paced game due to the character styles. Lets just say @EMPEROR_THEO is conservative, patient and efficient. GGs to everyone who attended.

That's a really brave post my friend. I believe injustice is generally a lesser quick paced game due to the character styles. Lets just say @EMPEROR_THEO is conservative, patient and efficient. GGs to everyone who attended.
Fast-paced has nothing to do with it. Actually, (and my existing posts will attest to this) I quite dislike super-fast, frenetic, rushdown play. It killed my enjoyment of Marvel. But there's a difference between fast-paced and exciting. A player like Jupiter plays pretty "slowly," in that he works hard to slow down the pace of the match. But there's a lot of unpredictability to his game that makes it very dynamic. Same can be said for 16bit. But with Theo (and I stress that this is largely due to the way Aquaman is designed, not Theo himself), it's very algorithmic. It's FtD from a distance, trait for defense, and b12~trident rush every other time. Those moves (FtD, Trident Rush, trait) are SO exploitable that nothing else is necessary. Any possible scenario can be solved by judicious application of one of those options, and it's like watching the computer play at a high difficulty.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword

Nothing against you but I'm tired if hearing this same old song. We heard this with REO and Pl with MK. Then we heard this with KDZ, Rico, and Jupitor. Now Theo. Very time a good player dominates with their main, the character they play/ the player makes the game boring. I don't understand why we can't just give them props and step up and try to be as good or better than them. Instead let's talk about how they and their character ruins the game.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Despite the stream issues all the matches I saw were fantastic.props to everyone who made top 8,u all deserve a truly enjoyable day.

bishbash

Magic as easy as 1 2 standing3
Nothing against you but I'm tired if hearing this same old song. We heard this with REO and Pl with MK. Then we heard this with KDZ, Rico, and Jupitor. Now Theo. Very time a good player dominates with their main, the character they play/ the player makes the game boring. I don't understand why we can't just give them props and step up and try to be as good or better than them. Instead let's talk about how they and their character ruins the game.
He is clearly the best injustice player right now and I get that especially at tournament level you play your character how best will secure the win, however this was one grand finals I wish I hadn't bothered watching. Not because I think it ruins the game just because it was extremely dull from a viewers perspective.

Congratulations to everyone who placed

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
I had theo winning the tournament 4-1 odds, 4 to the field, 1 to theo and still no one took my bet and this was BEFORE the tournament started.

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Congrats to Theo and all the placers. I can't believe the entire top 8/16 wasn't streamed though. The level of competition was the highest its been to date

TH3DISTURBED1

"Never say 'never'
Good stuff to Theo, but this was the worst streamed tournament I've ever seen. I know the stream comes second, but damn that was beyond belief.

EDIT; I did stick it through today to see Theo vs. Jupiter and that was the best Injustice match I've ever seen. Whenever someone talks smack about footsies and fundamentals in IGAU, we need to show that video.
Got a link? I didn't get to see it

BS3OOO

Noob
Yes, congrats to @16 Bit as well! When you did well at FR I was like "He probably had a favorable road, I'm happy for him." After you did well at UFGT I was like "Consecutive top 8 placements, he should never be emo about doing poorly at this game again. Nice." For you to make GF with Catwoman at the most stacked tournament to date is almost unbelievable.

Reactions: TKB