What's new

FR IGAU Staff Blow up

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLG

Noob
About the hogging stations scenario: Can someone explain how that even happens or is allowed to?
Don't misunderstand. I've only ever been to one Injustice tourney but I have been to a whole bunch of Tekken and FPS tourneys, so I have seen people hog/monopolize stations meant for casuals. I'm just trying to understand the mindset behind it. When my buddies and I are playing, we check who is behind us who hasn't had a chance to get some games. We don't just look at the crowd and act like they don't matter because that would be self-centered AF. Usually people are OK with a winner stays on rule.

Do people really need to be told to share or they won't?

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Seriously though. Why doesn't every TO use challonge? People will have that shit on their phones and know exactly who they have to play and will be ready
I can't think of one good reason not to use challonge. The bracket practically runs itself without much help from TO's because everyone is in the know.

paper brackets = asking for trouble

Last edited:

Hades

Noob
I think the solution to these brackets taking forever is that tournaments need to implement a system like real fighting tournaments. After 10 years of going to tae kwon do tournaments the difference between a tournament that runs smoothly and a tournament that runs overtime is making sure every fighter is ready and the people for the next four fights have to wait by the ring for their fight to start. Now every major area has a coach who is provided with a bracket and it is his role to make sure every fighter knows every fight that their fighters could possibly be in and it is the fighters role to make sure that they make it the fight they are appearing in or they risk disqualification.

In terms of knowing what fight is taking place tae kwon do has implemented a simple system where the ring number and fight number are displayed on laminated flip over cards for all fighters and coaches to see the fight number and how far away their fight is. For example x fighter is up on set up 2 and is fight number 3. His fight number on the laminated card would be 203. He wins his first fight and his next fight is fight 13. He goes sees the fight is at fight number 209 so he sits down near the station and ensures he is ready and waiting for fight number 213. Now this might sound harsh but fighters are given 1 minute and if they dont make it in time theyre disqualified. You might say "oh but y fighter travelled 100s of kilometres just to be here" but it is the players role to ensure they are on time and ready to fight. Also fighters spend 100s to travel overseas and theres no money for a victor its all about the pride of winning. Hell i spent 800 bucks to travel to australia just to fight in a tournament to get 3 fights before i was eliminated from the tournament. No one made any money for winning or entering we all paid venue fees and provided help refereeing and coaching fighters and the tournament ran smoothly because it used the exact system i talked about.

Ive been to tournaments before where the tournament ran hours overtime, the organisers were running around trying to find fighters and it was a shambles. The system is simple make sure you are on time or you are eliminated, show the players the bracket make sure they have it written on their hand what fights they are there or they are eliminated plain and simple. Its a harsh reality but the players need to realise they are fucking everybody around by not knowing when or who they are fighting. Basically if you are running a tournament you have to be harsh. Im a referee in tae kwon do and i also help make sure things run on time and basically the one thing ive learned is you have to be hard or no one will respect you. You say they have one minute they have one minute no ifs ands or buts. I mean yeah you have to be within reason but if a player doesnt show up because theyre pissing around practicing or taking a shit theyre eliminated end of. You run a tournament like this and trust me there will be no time issues, as a region my area has run the same tournament for years and its regarded as the go to tournament for every region across new zealand. The reason is because we run our tournament on time and we ensure that everyone is informed of the fight schedules and we run our tournaments so if they finish at 5 they finish at 5.

Anyway thats just my perspective on how the tournament could be run more smoothly take it as you will.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Yes! This! Thank you!

I have no fear saying, "Hey, Zyphox (just using his name, nothing to read into here people) you've been there for 3 hours...move on!". etc., etc.,
Yeah! Fuck you @Zyphox ! Come on, everyone now!

I just can't eat them, I don't die by touching them.
I'd be a bubble boy if I did, which would honestly be really hype.
The bubble Bane. Do a raging charge and just mow over people in my bubble.
Plus fucking... crowd surfing, dude. It would be awesome.
My Quan, you are hilarious. Can you please start referring to yourself as Doombawkz The Bubble Bane when you commentate and compete?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
So what you're telling me is that...the guy with the signature of Bane with a Pug head, thinks that my suggestion is too obscure.
Makes you think, don't it.
More over, I don't want to say it and people be like "I don't get it". Takes away from the commentary.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
There is a solution IMO. Add 2 bucks to the game entry fee and that money goes to paying two people to do nothing but run the brackets and make sure things are run smoothly. Being a competitor and trying to run a tournament hardly ever works out which is why I gave up being staff. People should be paid to do a job like 10 bucks an hour each and this way there is no conflict and they will have a reason to care

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I think the solution to these brackets taking forever is that tournaments need to implement a system like real fighting tournaments. After 10 years of going to tae kwon do tournaments the difference between a tournament that runs smoothly and a tournament that runs overtime is making sure every fighter is ready and the people for the next four fights have to wait by the ring for their fight to start. Now every major area has a coach who is provided with a bracket and it is his role to make sure every fighter knows every fight that their fighters could possibly be in and it is the fighters role to make sure that they make it the fight they are appearing in or they risk disqualification.

In terms of knowing what fight is taking place tae kwon do has implemented a simple system where the ring number and fight number are displayed on laminated flip over cards for all fighters and coaches to see the fight number and how far away their fight is. For example x fighter is up on set up 2 and is fight number 3. His fight number on the laminated card would be 203. He wins his first fight and his next fight is fight 13. He goes sees the fight is at fight number 209 so he sits down near the station and ensures he is ready and waiting for fight number 213. Now this might sound harsh but fighters are given 1 minute and if they dont make it in time theyre disqualified. You might say "oh but y fighter travelled 100s of kilometres just to be here" but it is the players role to ensure they are on time and ready to fight. Also fighters spend 100s to travel overseas and theres no money for a victor its all about the pride of winning. Hell i spent 800 bucks to travel to australia just to fight in a tournament to get 3 fights before i was eliminated from the tournament. No one made any money for winning or entering we all paid venue fees and provided help refereeing and coaching fighters and the tournament ran smoothly because it used the exact system i talked about.

Ive been to tournaments before where the tournament ran hours overtime, the organisers were running around trying to find fighters and it was a shambles. The system is simple make sure you are on time or you are eliminated, show the players the bracket make sure they have it written on their hand what fights they are there or they are eliminated plain and simple. Its a harsh reality but the players need to realise they are fucking everybody around by not knowing when or who they are fighting. Basically if you are running a tournament you have to be harsh. Im a referee in tae kwon do and i also help make sure things run on time and basically the one thing ive learned is you have to be hard or no one will respect you. You say they have one minute they have one minute no ifs ands or buts. I mean yeah you have to be within reason but if a player doesnt show up because theyre pissing around practicing or taking a shit theyre eliminated end of. You run a tournament like this and trust me there will be no time issues, as a region my area has run the same tournament for years and its regarded as the go to tournament for every region across new zealand. The reason is because we run our tournament on time and we ensure that everyone is informed of the fight schedules and we run our tournaments so if they finish at 5 they finish at 5.

Anyway thats just my perspective on how the tournament could be run more smoothly take it as you will.
Ummm...this is brilliant. I fully support this.

Also, this whole "people have traveled and paid money to compete" argument is so outdated. If rules were actually enforced (ahem, Noobe missing his pool in MK thus he was just put in a later pool bs) then I guarantee players would be up, ready, and actually punctual for their shit. Fun can still be had at a very structured event.

Riyo

Noob
If I was getting casuals in and no one behind me is asking me if they can have next, I'm gonna continue getting games in. There are a lot of people that feel "shy and awkward" in asking. I admit I'm the same way. No one should feel inferior cause they arent "known". Almost everyone spent about the same amount for this tournament.

Make the best of your tournament experience. If you want to get some casuals, speak now or forever hold your peace.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
If I was getting casuals in and no one behind me is asking me if they can have next, I'm gonna continue getting games in. There are a lot of people that feel "shy and awkward" in asking. I admit I'm the same way. No one should feel inferior cause they arent "known". Almost everyone spent about the same amount for this tournament.

Make the best of your tournament experience. If you want to get some casuals, speak now or forever hold your peace.
Yes, and that seems pretty difficult when they are mostly online players (a lot of them start from TYM) and see comments in here of people bringing up on discussion that someone is "not known" therefore his opinion is not as valid as theirs. You also see a lot of people ignoring "not well-known" players' opinions and threads while paying a lot of attention to threads made by "well-known" players. How do you want them to not feel inferior if it's their first tournament tho?

Edit: i am not generalizing, there are top players like Pig, Mr. mileena and others who are not like that.

Hades

Noob

Also, this whole "people have traveled and paid money to compete" argument is so outdated. If rules were actually enforced (ahem, Noobe missing his pool in MK thus he was just put in a later pool bs) then I guarantee players would be up, ready, and actually punctual for their shit. Fun can still be had at a very structured event.
It really is that simple, if you show that you wont be fucked around people will respect you and make sure they are on time. Rules are rules and if theyre ignored people will continually disrespect you and do their own thing. I know its hard and not everyone likes this approach but it works so well. And yes this whole i paid money im entitled to do whatever the fuck i want mentality is bullshit. You signed up for the tournament you paid the venue fee and you knew what you expected when you signed up. Turn up on time and everyone gets to have their matches on time and people arent overworked, stressed trying to run a bracket thats an hour late with someone holding everyone up because he just went out to grab something to eat. And your right fun can still be had at a punctual event, in fact people will praise the event giving positive feedback for bigger events in the future. Not many people may realise it but a major factor helping tournament growth is positive feedback. Look at this post and all the negative shit that happened regarding igau at final round. Hell i got up at 4am just to watch the tournament and i didnt see the bullshit going on behind the scenes. This kind of feedback a out issues regarding tournaments does not make people want to go to tournaments and limits tournament growth. I remember my old boss saying, "make sure a customer has a positive experience and theyll be sure to come back for a lifetime and they might tell a few friends about you, give a customer a bad experience and you dont just lose that customer, you also lose every single person they tell about the bad time they had at our store."

Once again just my opinion on how things need to be run, think of it like a business as a TO you need to be organised ensuring customer satisfaction every single way possible. Look at this post for evidence hes giving props to emperor dms for his hardwork in ensuring the brackets were run properly. Now just that positive comment there puts faith in emperor dms as a TO for me. I dont know the guy, didnt see him running the tournament but hell after hearing about the hard work he put into the tournament id go to a tournament he runs and id know for sure i would be satisfied the way he was running things because hes working his ass off to keep things running smoothly.

Riyo

Noob
Yes, and that seems pretty difficult when they are mostly online players (a lot of them start from TYM) and see comments in here of people bringing up on discussion that someone is "not known" therefore his opinion is not as valid as theirs. You also see a lot of people ignoring "not well-known" players' opinions and threads while paying a lot of attention to threads made by "well-known" players. How do you want them to not feel inferior if it's their first tournament?
I would hope that they didn't go alone. If there first tournament was a major then yeah, that'll be hard. Can have @Emperor DMS be the welcome committee. Haha. I mean we all start somewhere?

Hades

Noob
@Hades - You're forgetting that some people enter multiple games. What's the rule if one person has a match in game one at the same time as game two?
Thats when the referee discretion part comes in. If the teams coach/manager is running things smoothly he can explain the situation to the TO's during the 4 fight buffer period and the TO's can address the issue before there fight even starts. The reason why i said 4 fights is also because it gives people time to ensure that they make it on time and keep the TO's informed. In Tae kwon do the fighting side of things and the forms/patterns sides of things are run at the same time with a few people entering in both. What the coaches/team managers do is during the 4 fight buffer period they are able to discuss not only with TO's but also their opponent before the game. Then they have plenty of time to come up with a solution, juggle things around and continue to run the tournament smoothly.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
With the whole people taking up stations for hours it can be a pain sometimes but you have to speak up. I took up stations for a while but if someone actually told me he man let me next you have been on for a while i would get off. Usually after one more salty match though. :p. Hehe. But for the most part if i wanted to play and someone was on i would say something to them and keep saying it until someone got up. You cannot stand there and expect them to know your there. Also people forget. It happens. Even if they were told 2 minutes ago. So remind them until you get on. Also if you just got on and people are asking to get on tell them you just got on and have the person confirm it.
I wasn't at FR so this doesn't necessarily address the OP, but holy shit this. I see this at every tournament I attend for every game I have played competitively. I actually almost bully my crew to get games in, calling next for them because they won't always say something.
If you don't tell people you want to play, then they won't read your mind and give you the sticks.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Yeah! Fuck you @Zyphox ! Come on, everyone now!

My Quan, you are hilarious. Can you please start referring to yourself as Doombawkz The Bubble Bane when you commentate and compete?
Lol funny thing is I barely ever play casuals at tournaments, biggest mistake every time.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Lol funny thing is I barely ever play casuals at tournaments, biggest mistake every time.
I don't know if you read my original quote...I just inserted your name there because I literally was watching the archive and you were commentating, lol. I wasn't trying to insinuate anything. You were on my mind, apparently. ;)

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
I told several guys this. I got to play and got off after 10 games or less, so 10-15 min. But it's not in a lot of people to be bullies or persistant. The first tourney I went to was so I could meet people in my state/area to play and it went just like that, it was fun. It's a great way to meet locals and when you're about to play and two previous top 8 placers that are boys come up to you about to play a set with the guy next to you and they say "hey bro we need this to prep for top 32" and proceed to play for an hour. Fool me once, fool me twice. I'll be an asshole at the next tourney you see me at about casuals. Great way to open the off-line scene to new comers. BTW I'm circumventing this btw as I have a complete set up as of today.
Wait, so top 32 was set and people in top 32 wanted to play casuals? That I can understand, but hogging the setups while pools are still going on? That's just selfish.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
There is a solution IMO. Add 2 bucks to the game entry fee and that money goes to paying two people to do nothing but run the brackets and make sure things are run smoothly. Being a competitor and trying to run a tournament hardly ever works out which is why I gave up being staff. People should be paid to do a job like 10 bucks an hour each and this way there is no conflict and they will have a reason to care
I'm so naive I thought that's already how it worked. Most logical move is to pay / recruit how many ever people you need to run stations that also AREN'T competing. Do TO's actually make profit from tournaments? I have no idea on a lot of the management aspect.

Art

Grave_Intent
Also @ShinBlanka who on FR staff allowed people who didn't register on time to be added to pools late and brackets?
Just out of curiosity, did you guys EVER consider putting "Time Stamps" on the turny registrations so that after a certain time people can't just pop-up and say OK I registered, now which pool am I in? I think it may help so TOs and staff members don't screw shit up and cause even more chaos. It would also be a way for PIG and others to confirm the people who per-register and those that did not to be able to place them in the proper pools.
These are just some small things I see that could dramatically help the way things would be ran IMHO. Hope it helps in future events.
~ Peace

Art

Grave_Intent

I could understand if a player got screwed by an airline delay witch is something he/she had no control over, but otherwise I DO agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.