What's new

For Honor

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
The last 4 heroes will be...

Vikings...
Highlander (Zweihander)
Huntress (Sword-Axe)

Samurai...
Ronin (2 Swords)

Knights...
Gladiator (Trident)

GAV

Centurion insights...

The key is landing an opener...

Openers...
Dash in GB (kick)
Quick Heavy
Charged Heavy
GB

The kick is the easiest set up move to land, but it pushes the opponent farther away - limiting your follow ups to...

1) GB
2) Light combo starter (can link into a GB or charged heavy)
3) Charged heavy

The Quick Heavy Opener is to be used to catch attacking opponents coming in or when you are up close or have them cornered. Its fast, but can be sidestepped because its a linear attack.

The Charged Heavy Opener isn't unblockable, like it is when used as an opener follow up - but it has alot of range, is armoured, and tracks well.

A very simple high damage combo is opener, fully charged heavy, (one this lands, the rest is guaranteed) into afully charged GB (punch). Then, just tap heavy attack to finish with a ground pounce stab.

Simple Mindgames...

Once you have conditioned them to dodge your second attack or go for a parry, tap B to cancel out and just guard break them and follow up.

Centurion is easy to play as. He has simple controls and he's rather complex to defend against. Just be patient to land your opener. Your opponent has to dash around so landing GBs will be easy.

GAV

cool only took them forever. Lets hope 18% damage increase on chip is enough to actually force opponents to do something.
Personally, I think the defensive meta remains unchanged at the game's highest levels because winning and losing there will be strictly about the stamina battle. Get exhausted and die. Exhaust your opponent and kill the helpless thing he has become.

Last edited:
Personally, I think the defensive meta remains unchanged at the game's highest levels because winning and losing there will be strictly about the stamina battle. Get exhausted and die. Exhaust your opponent and kill the helpless thing he has become.
damn man i really have to question your logic in saying the meta is unchanged when parrys dont even guarantee a gb.
But then again you wanting to keep the meta in the first place made no sense either.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

damn man i really have to question your logic in saying the meta is unchanged when parrys dont even guarantee a gb.
But then again you wanting to keep the meta in the first place made no sense either.
I am good with any changes that don't break the balance between the characters or the give and take between attacking and defending. I don't want attacking or defending to be best. I want balance.

I think these changes are mostly good ones, but I also think their mix will result in a big meta shake-up in the 4v4 modes and an approach shake-up in Duels and Brawls, but with the defensive meta still reigning supreme.

Unless you forgot alot, if you watch the vids, I think you will come to the same conclusion before the hands-on.

Parries will eat more stamina and out of stamina punishment seems to be set up to be much more severe. Out of stamina means no parrying, even slower movement than before, and blocking, dodging, or rolling will now pause stamina recovery.

Last edited:
I am good with any changes that don't break the balance between the characters or the give and take between attacking and defending. I don't want attacking or defending to be best. I want balance.

I think these changes are mostly good ones, but I also think their mix will result in a big meta shake-up in the 4v4 modes and an approach shake-up in Duels and Brawls, but with the defensive meta still reigning supreme.

Unless you forgot alot, if you watch the vids, I think you will come to the same conclusion before the hands-on.

Parries will eat more stamina and out of stamina punishment seems to be set up to be much more severe. Out of stamina means no parrying, even slower movement than before, and blocking, dodging, or rolling will now pause stamina recovery.
Out of stamina punishment is big but not that big. The difference between getting a parry, gb and not is night and day. There is no way you will be able to do as much damage to your opponent when they are out of stamina compared to when you gb them. However, if what they say about chip damage is true, chip damage should be pretty huge, punishing defense. Everytime someone goes for a parry they risk themselves being opened up but before these changes there was no penalty to just blocking. Now you will be able to force your opponent to go for risky parries on offense allowing for an actual game. If your opponent chooses not to go for anything than it will only take approximately 15 blocks and they will be at a pixel (depending on character and if I'm interpreting the data right). This will allow you to bait parries and punish the attempts and timeouts will give you the win now because of the life lead.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Out of stamina punishment is big but not that big. The difference between getting a parry, gb and not is night and day. There is no way you will be able to do as much damage to your opponent when they are out of stamina compared to when you gb them. However, if what they say about chip damage is true, chip damage should be pretty huge, punishing defense. Everytime someone goes for a parry they risk themselves being opened up but before these changes there was no penalty to just blocking. Now you will be able to force your opponent to go for risky parries on offense allowing for an actual game. If your opponent chooses not to go for anything than it will only take approximately 15 blocks and they will be at a pixel (depending on character and if I'm interpreting the data right). This will allow you to bait parries and punish the attempts and timeouts will give you the win now because of the life lead.
You and I actually mostly agree. I think this will add more intrigue. I just think with parrying eating more stamina, stamina being harder to regain, and exhaustion state being weaker - the turtle meta will remain until one player becomes exhausted - then its time to go in. It will be more exciting though.