What's new

First Big Patch Wishlist.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Yeah as a kabal main, ive punished it maybe 25% of the time with b1. And tend to use mean steak against scorpion.
I will say, I don't think you understand WHY Scorpion's f3 is -2 though. It would still hurt him big time.

The reason f3 is -2, is because of the flawless block gap but also because it's his only way of opening people up. You start having to do f3 into u2 or f3 into f4 at the highest level of the game (there is a f34 flawless block/throw tech OS), and in Searing Rage he lives or dies by this. F32, F3 into U2, F3 into F4 is a nonfuzzyable mixup but he takes a risk because it's all block punishable two of the options require him to leave a gap because he's staggering. I don't think you're taking into account just how much it would gut the character to take this away from him.

xKMMx

Banned
Your changes would destroy Sonya. You touch her mix or her zoning. Not both. I don't even play the character. What tremendous waste of time that write up was.
People are way overboard with their Nerf Sonya campaigns. SHe really isn't that hard to deal with. If you think about it Noob Saibot is probably the next biggest damage monster in the game and he can get big damage off of pretty much any touch. Sonya really only has maybe one or two paths to her big damage

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
People are way overboard with their Nerf Sonya campaigns. SHe really isn't that hard to deal with. If you think about it Noob Saibot is probably the next biggest damage monster in the game and he can get big damage off of pretty much any touch. Sonya really only has maybe one or two paths to her big damage
Yeah but noobs midscreen combos are so weird I never see people go for the optimal stuff. Corner is easily 400 +. You do the midscreen optimals?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
If you think about it Noob Saibot is probably the next biggest damage monster in the game and he can get big damage off of pretty much any touch.
Except that one of the touches does not include a 50/50 mix up. LOL. Give Noob the overhead and low string as well as the canceled EX projectile and Noob becomes top 5.

I have tried to stay away from this thread, but your statement is disingenuous.

Jbog

Noob
Leave the game fix wiffing issues then see where ur at . Maybe fix some krushin blows so the damage is relatively simalar and not ridiculous to get um. And fatal blow 1 and done rest of game is awesome

I will say, I don't think you understand WHY Scorpion's f3 is -2 though. It would still hurt him big time.

The reason f3 is -2, is because of the flawless block gap but also because it's his only way of opening people up. You start having to do f3 into u2 or f3 into f4 at the highest level of the game (there is a f34 flawless block/throw tech OS), and in Searing Rage he lives or dies by this. F32, F3 into U2, F3 into F4 is a nonfuzzyable mixup but he takes a risk because it's all block punishable two of the options require him to leave a gap because he's staggering. I don't think you're taking into account just how much it would gut the character to take this away from him.
I wonder if ppl who complains about unquestionable top tier characters ever tried another one... scorpion has amazing advancing forward moves, ever tried whiff punishing, like every character with no mixup, no full combo teleport and worse staggers than scorpion has to?

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I wonder if ppl who complains about unquestionable top tier characters ever tried another one... scorpion has amazing advancing forward moves, ever tried whiff punishing, like every character with no mixup, no full combo teleport and worse staggers than scorpion has to?
I also play Baraka, Noob and Kabal so yes. I grind with all four characters.

Jacqui feint cancels should cost meter. I think that's all she needs. Every other variation is fine but her feint is broken.
She is negative in every single cancel, except 22 (+1). F31 cancel is -2 on block, so it's basically as broken as any mid -2 stagger. Just poke when you see the feint. With a 7 frame poke you have at least 4 frames to beat her next F3.
In fact, if your opp always goes for cancel into another F3, you can full combo punish her after the cancel.

Alright so I'm gonna try to explain my reasoning more thoroughly since I felt to a lot of people it would be kind of self evident. The problem with your changes, especially reducing damage, is just neutering. It's just kind of boring. I LIKE from a design perspective that Geras hits hard and I think the threat of the 50/50 KB is fine. What's not fine is the safety off the 50/50, the one dimensional gameplan around f212 where most characters can't poke back because of the pushback, him being able to LAUNCH YOU FOR RIGHTFULLY COUNTER POKING because of u2 being 6f ON TOP OF the neutral control that sand trap gives him.

So here's why I think EVERY nerf I suggested to Geras is fair.

F212: -3 still allows him to fraud out quite a bit against even the highest level players because their pokes don't fucking reach. Due to spacing/hitbox technicalities, this string may as well be plus against some characters, on top of the fact that he puts YOU in a mixup because even if you can successfully counterpoke, he just shimmies you into big damage OR he flawless block/throw tech OS's you. There is no situation when you block f212 where the read is in your favor. -7 prevents this from happening, and flawless blocking makes him have to mix it up a bit into gauntlet cancels etc. I do not believe an 11f gapless triple mid should also be this safe and give him mind games afterward.

111: 11 is still hit confirmable. This is a big ass damage 50/50. I see no universe in which this is unreasonable. I think nerfing the damage just makes this less hype/interesting or threatening. At that rate, I'd just take the sand trap every single time.

Sandtrap In infinite Warden: I feel like this is also obvious. One version simply leaves you in place, while the other one wins neutral for him and puts him right on top of you. This should absolutely be death on block for the reward he gets out of it or it should allow people to gain a fuck ton of ground on him.

Swapping the KB requirements on the sandtraps: Keep in mind that Infinite Warden would technically get a buff in this regard at the cost of no safety. I wanted "if X is X blocking" krushing blows to work out of strings, which his other sandtrap does. This doesn't castrate the 50/50 too badly and also gives him a useful krushing blow in his first variation.

U2 startup: This is also a given. This is such a rule breaker to the fundamentals to the game and I don't understand how people can defend it. I get launched for counter poking, which makes me not want to counter poke AND because it's so fast it allows him to OS a throw tech AND your d1/d3 at the same time? Fuck out of here. U2's should universally be in the same frame data margin.

I don't see after these changes how he's still not a VERY powerful character. He'd still be top 5. He'd just have to play his neutral more cautiously around 11, f32, d4 or b22.
It's an odd notion that nerfing the damage of KBs where the only requirement is basically "land this move" (Geras should not have so many of these in the first place, it's not interesting gameplay; they just automatically do as much damage as the average one bar BNB combo for no reason) is somehow neutering the character but doubling down on hitting f212 in both of the suggested areas isn't. KBs are a gimmick, f212 is the primary component of Geras' game. Making it technically unsafe on top of allowing flawless block doesn't open up 'more options' or create a dynamic of interesting decision making for defender; it simply becomes a static thing you always do in response, and always makes the string dogsh*t. It's not a stagger or a mixup. The timing doesn't change and you always complete it because it's safe (and if you kill it early it's like -17). This would unequivocally invalidate the string after 10-15 minutes of labbing.

I'm admittedly not the least bit interested in whether people find changes uninspired or boring, or whether less damaging KBs are "less hype," I care about healthy changes that improve the game and experience playing against the character while maintaining--as much as possible--the character's identity and playability. Nobody thinks Geras having KBs six ways from Sunday that deal 32% and have no requirement is hype anyway. It's just lazy.

I agree on the swapping of KBs for sand trap though: technically infinite warden's 111 mixup becomes a "guess wrong and eat a KB either way" situation.

I've no issue with an U2 nerf. The logic in this being so good was probably along the lines of offsetting his U+3 being punishable whereas most U3s are not, but it's too good.

Which characters can't respond with pokes after blocking f212? Is it any of the 5 that can low profile the 1 on reaction mid-block? I think that's just a pushback issue that needs addressing more than anything.

Let me rein this in some and summarize: I think my main gripe with the nature of your changes is I think it's nigh impossible to argue that the clearest example of Geras being overtuned is his KBs. Sure, it's also a big matter of everything he does, but the KBs are the glaring stand out. So it's not enough to just hit him with a bunch of miscellaneous nerfs and call it good: if you aren't specifically addressing the problem child and instead nerfing all around it that means post-patch Geras is still the same nonsensical heap of overloaded strength and people are still calling for nerfs because they're still eating his all you can eat buffet of arbitrarily plentiful KBs. One patch later something else (that also isn't the problem) is nerfed and around we go until the KBs are finally recognized and trashed and by then you've removed so much from the character it's overkill. See: Erron Black, MKX.

I don't think Geras has some "right" to be strong, but the pattern with NRS so far is clear. I also don't think we disagree on all that much save f212 as the focal point of attack and in the particular way it's being tackled.

Last edited:

S+ Main

Noob
The changes proposed by @Chernyy Volk are actually a pretty good step in the right direction and have the right idea. there are some changes that I disagree with but this is one person looking at balancing an entire game with 20+ characters with 2 variations each (although some are bad).

Also people need to remember this is one persons opinion and actual game balancing involves a team of people and external feedback so this is quite good for one persons opinion.

The changes proposed by @Chernyy Volk are actually a pretty good step in the right direction and have the right idea. there are some changes that I disagree with but this is one person looking at balancing an entire game with 20+ characters with 2 variations each (although some are bad).

Also people need to remember this is one persons opinion and actual game balancing involves a team of people and external feedback so this is quite good for one persons opinion.
Agreed. I've seen him getting flack because he "obviously doesn't play x character" but surely you don't expect someone to play the entire cast let alone at a level where they're coming from a position of understanding every nuance about every character.

I'd say it's decent for one person offering balance suggestions for the entire roster. At the end of the day I imagine NRS is just taking feedback at the most base level (that is to say; lots of complaints about x being too strong and y z being weak) and will make their own decisions as to how it should be addressed from there.

I've always felt big sweeping changes that turn the roster on its head are questionable for the health of the game, but I guess there's something to be said for drastically switching the meta up, too.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Universal:
1: Increase jumping startup frames
2: Increase u3 damage to 12%
3: Increase u2 damage to 15%
4: Fix the hitbox/hurtbox issues to make jailing/pressure more reliable
5: Nerf s1/d1-d3 AA's, make d2 upper body invincible u2 style
6: One breakaway per round
7: Fatal blow is lost on hit, block AND whiff
8: Bring back the ability to use punish/kounter hit KB's in the middle of combos that were a punish/counter
9: All d1's are 7f, +10 on hit and -6 on block
10: Bring back the ability for "if opponent is stand/crouch blocking" KB's on specials to work out of strings.
1. 5. Why nerf startup fames and AAs? You should reward players for good fundamentals and punish those who play recklessly. On top of that characters like Kabal and Kitana who have great jump ins are going to take a big hit on there overall pressure. I say leave it how it is, theres nothing that needs to be fixed in this subject.

6. Breakaways dont need to be nerfed they cost two bars of defense and it is already a huge weakness to have no defense.

2. 3. Your really pushing it your trying to get 15% off of a turn steal for one bar? No way.

7. Fatal Blows should be left as is because usually if a person throws it out and its blocked there going to die if they get punished. However I would like to see some crushing blows be very negative on block for what they can do.(Erron Black, Kabal,Jax)

Now I do think the forward roll wakeup should cost 1.5 defensive bar and maybe even some offense bar becasuse of what it can do. Escaping corner pressure and possibly full combo punishing someone is a little too good for one bar.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Pasting my Dvorah fixes here:

• Dvorah needs hitbox fixes.
  • She needs 1 2 to connect to ex puddle.
  • She needs the Buzzed unique strings to be universal to all variations.
  • She needs a liiiiiiiiittle less recovery on air fireflies.
  • She needs her overhead to be less negative on block. Still full combo punishable, but not minus 16. Standing jab punishable. That way certain spacing can make it kiiiinda safe against some characters. It's just a 7% move! Same with her sweep. Make it -12 and not -20.
  • Maybe a 5% damage increase to the ex puddle so that she gets a little more combo damage for a bar of meter.
  • POSSIBLY a new Krushing Blow. Like maybe 2-3 F4's in a row. Or second time that only the second half of 21222 hits. Something you gotta work for.
  • Very Far Puddle needs to hit FULLSCREEN. As does Far Air Firefly.
  • Standing 2 becomes a mid, BUT does not combo into ex puddle. So we get a mid string to use in the counterpoke game, but it doesn't lead to combo.
These are all very minor changes. You can't do anything drastic or change her playstyle by making F2 an overhead or something. You'll break her.

Last edited:

xKMMx

Banned
Except that one of the touches does not include a 50/50 mix up. LOL. Give Noob the overhead and low string as well as the canceled EX projectile and Noob becomes top 5.

I have tried to stay away from this thread, but your statement is disingenuous.
Hahah how is it disingenuous? Other than the fact it may not agree with your own.
I'm simply saying most people have objection to Sonya because of her damage and her 50/50 potential. In my experience though she doesn't have multiple paths to her big damage.
My statement is that Noob has big damage potential as well. However he can also get to that big damage through multiple different paths. THe only reason people aren't screaming for Noob to be nerfed is he is essentially very easy to defend against because he doesn't have 50/50 potential.
In the end I'm saying people can spend more time labbing and less time crying and they would have a lot more fun playing the game.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
The universal tools in what I put down here get buffed. Nerfing the strong tools lends more to fundamentally strong play instead of degenerate power creep which already exists in the game. The characters are still strong after these nerfs. Please come up with an argument that makes a good case for how this wouldn't still be so?
Wtf that has nothing to do with what I said. Look man, most players can see some of those changes will ruin the characters core gameplay.
Its to the degree of taking away scorpions F34 and Teleport.
Like what does this even mean? Can you prove that? Just because I'd like them to have to use more than one string doesn't mean their pressure and gameplan is neutered. That's horrible gameplay design if those kind of things are what this game is built on.
It doesn't matter what you think is poor gameplay design. Most of the cast are built around a few tools and have little chance of being successful without them.