What's new

First Big Patch Wishlist.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Can we also talk about how this scam artist basically ignored Scorpion.

His Spear should not be safe full screen. Death spin is hardly punishable unless it's done right in your face. And he even wants buffs for this braindead character.

F3 should be -7 on block, how's that Cherny. He doesn't need broken staggers.

Weren't you trying to sell people frame data for money. Instead of making write ups to which no one will listen, why don't you write yourself a resume and get a job. I've never seen anyone more disliked than you, and Tweedy is part of this community.

Air Teleport should arguably also be removed entirely. This is the move that is preventing anti airs and allowed Scar to beat Waz at combo breaker despite playing like an online scrub. Watch the match back and honestly try not to vomit. That is not top level play.
If F3 becomes -7 he needs to lose the gaps on f34 and f32 that people can literally s1 out of, and lose the flawless block gaps.

Spear isn't safe full screen against a number of characters.

Death spin is punishable by the entire cast at nearly max range. Should I make a video?

The last one is just hilarious.

Chernyy Volk

Well said.
Geras's design gameplay wise is kind of bad tbh. He s a character that can only be shit, or break the game. My issue with him is he literally doesn't play MK11 and he forces you to play an entirely different game that none of the other top tiers make you play.

Chernyy Volk

You want more recovery on a move that's -25 on block and her main counter-zoning tool? And what will that do recovery-wise if it's AMPed, since that's her main combo extender?
It really wouldn't hurt her that much. This helps the characters that just get absolutely lamed out by low shot. Degenerate neutral situations like what a character like Jax deals with versus her aren't cool. The amp recovery would be the exact same.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Many of your suggestions for top tier would destroy fundamental gameplay with the characters.
ThE rest its clear you don't fully understand those characters.
On paper Kotal looks fine but he is plagued with hitbox issues that makes most of his pokes and moves wiff.

Chernyy Volk

Are you saying that -7 F3 will create gaps on F34/32 or that those gaps already exist?
They already exist. Every character can s1 or d1 out of them or flawless block u3 them with the same timing between both strings.

Chernyy Volk

Many of your suggestions for top tier would destroy fundamental gameplay with the characters.
ThE rest its clear you don't fully understand those characters.
On paper Kotal looks fine but he is plagued with hitbox issues that makes most of his pokes and moves wiff.
The hitbox issues are a given.

As for my top tier nerfs, what they do is eliminate 1D gameplans and force the characters to have to use all their tools. If a character is so dependent on one string and one move to the point where nerfing them destroys them that's the fault of the games bad design.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
They already exist. Every character can s1 or d1 out of them or flawless block u3 them with the same timing between both strings.
So you can block F3 and poke before F34 or F32 come out? You mind making a video? I'm trying to do it w/ Geras and all I can get is a trade on F32 w/ a 6f D1. Not able to punish F34 at all, tho.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
1: Increase jumping startup frames
Nope, half the combos in the game would get messed up
2: Increase u3 damage to 12%
Nope, wakeups are already very powerful
3: Increase u2 damage to 15%
Nope, wakeups are already powerful
4: Fix the hitbox/hurtbox issues to make jailing/pressure more reliable
Nice ambiguous umbrella you got here
5: Nerf s1/d1-d3 AA's, make d2 upper body invincible u2 style
Nope, stop jumping you scrub
: One breakaway per round
Nope, breakaways are already very expensive
Fatal blow is lost on hit, block AND whiff
Nope, fatal blow on hit stays the same, but goes away for the current round on whiff and block
8: Bring back the ability to use punish/kounter hit KB's in the middle of combos that were a punish/counter
Nope, git gud
10: Bring back the ability for "if opponent is stand/crouch blocking" KB's on specials to work out of strings
Nope, git gud
9: All d1's are 7f, +10 on hit and -6 on block
Nope, git gud (only some pokes need needs)

Chernyy Volk

So you can block F3 and poke before F34 or F32 come out? You mind making a video? I'm trying to do it w/ Geras and all I can get is a trade on F32 w/ a 6f D1. Not able to punish F34 at all, tho.
D1's are more reliable. It's a jank thing. Females can consistently do it.

Either way, the problem is this guy wants it to be -7 AND ALSO be flawless blockable. That makes the normal entirely useless beyond whiff punishing and that leaves Reborn high and dry in terms of mind games.

Chernyy Volk

Nope, half the combos in the game would get messed up

Nope, wakeups are already very powerful

Nope, wakeups are already powerful

Nice ambiguous umbrella you got here

Nope, stop jumping you scrub

Nope, breakaways are already very expensive

Nope, fatal blow on hit stays the same, but goes away for the current round on whiff and block

Nope, git gud

Nope, git gud

Nope, git gud (only some pokes need needs)
This is definitely a troll.

Frenzy

Noob
If you hit the f3 stagger Scorpion is dead. Especially in Reborn where his only way to blow you up is f34 which, after the KB is spent, which you probably just instabreak, is EXTREMELY low reward. People just need to have more balls in counter poking, like, you realize the risk reward on blowing this up is in YOUR FAVOR most of the time right?
I’m talking about u3. Not f3

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Damn, all that extra time playing the game and you still have no fucking clue what you're talking about.

ALSO
Dude, I main Kabal. You can check on switch for proof. I'm the number 2 ranked player. Which isn't saying much, but I travel too much to play on the PS4.

Having played against good Sonya's, your suggestions are way too harsh.
Ranked 2 on the switch doesn't mean fucking dick lol.

LawAbidingCitizen

The hitbox issues are a given.

As for my top tier nerfs, what they do is eliminate 1D gameplans and force the characters to have to use all their tools. If a character is so dependent on one string and one move to the point where nerfing them destroys them that's the fault of the games bad design.
I don't think nerfing the strong tools is the way to go. Many characters only have a few viable moves with most being useless except in very situational times.
I'd rather they slightly buff the bad moves and if something becomes to powerful it can be toned down later.

Sonya does have great mix and damage with above average zoning but her mix comes from highs and the one that launches is punishable. Even though she can just B1/B12 you can still react after blocking the full string and punish it. All of her mix is vulnerable to pokes, some mids and KB D2's.

Many of the changes you suggested wouldn't balance those characters but completely neuter their main pressure and gameplay.

I'm fine with Erron's F4 MB being more negative and Scud not being used to make B222 safe but his 21212 mix is completely fuzzy blockable and it doesn't need a gap.

Cassie low Gunshot that's a mid has over 20f recovery on wiff and is hardly to powerful. There are plenty ways to counter it.
I feel the bottom 10 need to be brought up to baraka-Kitana tier and the top 5 only need minor adjustments nothing to strong. One thing is fine for each.

Sonya: reduce damage
Geras: make sand more unsafe on wiff and block.
Erron: make scud not cancelable off B222.video also be fine with The low shot off F4 being -15
Kabal needs a few gaps that can be flawless blocked. But I don't feel he is OP.

• All characters hitboxes need to be adjusted/fixed.
  • All pokes that wiff need to be adjusted.
  • All pokes into highs need to not wiff so they actually jail vs entire cast.
  • Female hitboxes need adjusted so moves connect properly and don't wiff.
  • KB requirements need to be adjusted across the cast to be more practical.
  • special moves like: Shaos Taunts, Kotal Sunlight/Quake need to be more practical (less recovery or startup)
  • Moves like Subs F24 connecting behind him into KB after opponent reads it and rolls need hitbox adjusted.
I also feel like certain characters need at least one practical launching string. Kotal 221 would be awesome but it needs hitbox fixed first.

Last edited:

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
D1's are more reliable. It's a jank thing. Females can consistently do it.
I'm trying with Jacqui and I still can't D1 Scorpion out of F34 or F32. I think the only reason trading with F32 worked is because Geras has a 6f D1. Could you possibly make a vid? Would probably be easier if I could see it being done.

Geras's design gameplay wise is kind of bad tbh. He s a character that can only be shit, or break the game. My issue with him is he literally doesn't play MK11 and he forces you to play an entirely different game that none of the other top tiers make you play.
I was half joking, just saw an opportunity for an amusing/cheeky comment. I don't think he doesn't play MK11 so much as he's just too good at everything, which is maybe semantics; but Geras operates within the realm of MK11's gameplay just fine, IMO. It's just done to the nth degree. It's the same deal with Sonya. Character balance needs to be give and take, you should have clearly defined strengths and weaknesses or if you're a jack of all trades you should be master of none, not master of most. This may get long so bear with me.

I'm a Geras main (New Era, but dabble in both), and while I'd like to think I can be totally objective—keep in mind that as such my goal with any changes to the character are in the vein of "I'd like him to be good but reasonable." I'm sure non-Geras players are fine if he's totally gutted and I don't blame them as I wouldn't exactly shed a tear if Sonya was deleted.

My changes somewhat lineup with yours. NRS needs to decide whether they want to tone the core of his game (that is; nerf him everywhere) and have him be equivalent to the Ryu of MK as far as character direction, or push him into a niche area with pros and cons.

-KBs are the most obvious thing we can all agree on. The damage on these need to be cut in half, at least, and I'm fine with the 111 KB being removed from the game entirely or nerfed so hard the damage of the KB is inconsequential. High/Low 50/50 should not net you massive damage ever. That's just bad design. Ideally other characters are given reliable KBs so the disparity is less noticeable.
-D1 needs to be 7 frames. This is one element of the game that should be unified across the board. As an aside, a universal change should be that D1s are more negative on block and more plus on hit so whose turn it is becomes more cut and dry rather than this constant scramble to steal yours back.
-V2 Sand Trap. There are a dozen ways to address this one and I've seen people suggest they swap it with the New Era variation. I see that as playing hot potato with the problem rather than fixing it. I think it should possibly have the KB requirement switched but otherwise lose whatever the projectile invincibility is which seems to kick in almost immediately. The move is a bit overloaded for sure. They could even eliminate the up variation of it so he doesn't legit have FULL SCREEN sand trap pressure and it's more of a close/mid range thing.

Does he need much more than that? I'm not against 111 being unsafe on block. I like general damage nerfs to Geras, both in combo scaling after amp bf2 and his KBs as a primary focus of balance.

My big thing is: I see so many people suggesting he lose his KBs, lose his oki, d1 changed, f212 become total shit (let's be honest, any proposed changes to this move in effect accomplishes that), better combo scaling, etc etc. Geras should be fine to have oki so long as, as mentioned above, the rest of his kit is kept in check with this consideration in mind. "No one else has it" doesn't mean much to me; no one else has Cetrion's zoning either, but that's the character. That's her shtick. I think Geras is interesting as an oki char if we appropriately address the rest of what he does in conjunction.

Less safe on mix, normalized d1, no more "f*ck zoning" sand trap and significantly less overbearing KBs seems like a good direction while maintaining the character's core. F212 is only a problem because being -3 coupled with a 6 frame d1 means even a frame or two worth of hesitation on the part of the defender (looking for a sand trap ender) results in Geras taking his turn back with d1 and rinse-and-repeating. I think fixing his D1 indirectly fixes some of the issue with F212. I may be in the minority but I'm against this big push for general strings to have flawless block gaps in them. Strings don't change from one use to the next and many in this game force you to commit to their inputs well in advance, so I don't see why we're gunning for people to be able to invalidate something like F212 by labbing a flawless block for 10 minutes. I'd understand it for something like Liu Kang, but his F43 is a different scenario.

Regardless of the direction they go I intend to continue playing him post whatever nerfs and actually find myself looking forward to them so I can pick the character without people one-and-doneing or hearing the mic come on as soon as I hover him in char select.

I like the thought process behind your changes even if I don't agree with all of them. I may be going light on Geras here but I actually want all adjustments made in this first balance patch to be on the lighter side and making more as necessary rather than the typical NRS approach of cutting off legs.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

I was half joking, just saw an opportunity for an amusing/cheeky comment. I don't think he doesn't play MK11 so much as he's just too good at everything, which is maybe semantics; but Geras operates within the realm of MK11's gameplay just fine, IMO. It's just done to the nth degree. It's the same deal with Sonya. Character balance needs to be give and take, you should have clearly defined strengths and weaknesses or if you're a jack of all trades you should be master of none, not master of most. This may get long so bear with me.

I'm a Geras main (New Era, but dabble in both), and while I'd like to think I can be totally objective—keep in mind that as such my goal with any changes to the character are in the vein of "I'd like him to be good but reasonable." I'm sure non-Geras players are fine if he's totally gutted and I don't blame them as I wouldn't exactly shed a tear if Sonya was deleted.

My changes somewhat lineup with yours. NRS needs to decide whether they want to tone the core of his game (that is; nerf him everywhere) and have him be equivalent to the Ryu of MK as far as character direction, or push him into a niche area with pros and cons.

-KBs are the most obvious thing we can all agree on. The damage on these need to be cut in half, at least, and I'm fine with the 111 KB being removed from the game entirely or nerfed so hard the damage of the KB is inconsequential. High/Low 50/50 should not net you massive damage ever. That's just bad design. Ideally other characters are given reliable KB so the disparity is less noticeable.
-D1 needs to be 7 frames. This is one element of the game that should be unified across the board. As an aside, a universal change should be that D1s are more negative on block and more plus on hit so whose turn it is becomes more cut and dry rather than this constant scramble to steal yours back.
-V2 Sand Trap. There are a dozen ways to address this one and I've seen people suggest they swap it with the New Era variation. I see that as playing hot potato with the problem rather than fixing it. I think it should possibly have the KB requirement switched but otherwise lose whatever projectile invincibility seems to kick in almost immediately. That's a bit much.

Does he need much more than that? I'm not against 111 being unsafe on block. I like general damage nerfs to Geras, both in combo scaling after amp bf2 and his KBs as a primary focus of balance.

My big thing is: I see so many people suggesting he lose his KBs, lose his oki, d1 changed, f212 become total shit (let's be honest, any proposed changes to this move accomplish effectively that), better combo scaling, etc etc. Geras should be fine to have oki so long as, as mentioned above, the rest of his kit is kept in check with this consideration in mind. "No one else has it" doesn't mean much to me; no one else has Cetrion's zoning either, but that's the character. That's her shtick. I think Geras is interesting as an oki char if we appropriately address the rest of what he does in conjunction.

Less safe on mix, normalized d1, no more "f*ck zoning" sand trap and significantly less overbearing KBs seems like a good direction while maintaining the character's core. F212 is only a problem because being -3 coupled with a 6 frame d1 means even a frame or two worth of hesitation on the part of the defender (looking for a sand trap ender) results in Geras taking his turn back with d1 and rinse-and-repeating. I think fixing his D1 indirectly fixes some of the issue with F212. I may be in the minority but I'm against this big push for general strings to have flawless block gaps in them. Strings don't change from one use to the next and many in this game force you to commit to their inputs well in advance, so I don't see why we're gunning for people to be able to invalidate something like F212 by labbing a flawless block for 10 minutes. I'd understand it for something like Liu Kang, but his F43 is a different scenario.

Regardless of the direction they go I intend to continue playing him post whatever nerfs and actually find myself looking forward to them so I can pick the character without people one-and-doneing or hearing the mic come on as soon as I hover him in char select.

I like the thought process behind your changes even if I don't agree with all of them. I may be going light on Geras here but I actually want all adjustments made in this first balance patch to be on the lighter side and making more as necessary rather than the typical NRS approach of cutting off legs.

Thoughts?
As a person who despises geras in almost every way I feel you went about that rather unbiased. I feel minor tweaks are the way to go, the moment we dish out 5-20 nerfs is the moment characters becoMe Shit.

Xelz

Go over there!
My wish to the patch genie is to be able to unlock all Tower of Time items by playing online matchmaking (ranked or unranked, I'd be fine with either or both). Patch that in and I'll be a happy camper. My AI fighters need a rest from tower grinding....

Chernyy Volk

-KBs are the most obvious thing we can all agree on. The damage on these need to be cut in half, at least, and I'm fine with the 111 KB being removed from the game entirely or nerfed so hard the damage of the KB is inconsequential. High/Low 50/50 should not net you massive damage ever. That's just bad design. Ideally other characters are given reliable KBs so the disparity is less noticeable.
-V2 Sand Trap. There are a dozen ways to address this one and I've seen people suggest they swap it with the New Era variation. I see that as playing hot potato with the problem rather than fixing it. I think it should possibly have the KB requirement switched but otherwise lose whatever the projectile invincibility is which seems to kick in almost immediately. The move is a bit overloaded for sure. They could even eliminate the up variation of it so he doesn't legit have FULL SCREEN sand trap pressure and it's more of a close/mid range thing.

My big thing is: I see so many people suggesting he lose his KBs, lose his oki, d1 changed, f212 become total shit (let's be honest, any proposed changes to this move in effect accomplishes that), better combo scaling, etc etc. Geras should be fine to have oki so long as, as mentioned above, the rest of his kit is kept in check with this consideration in mind. "No one else has it" doesn't mean much to me; no one else has Cetrion's zoning either, but that's the character. That's her shtick. I think Geras is interesting as an oki char if we appropriately address the rest of what he does in conjunction.

Thoughts?
Alright so I'm gonna try to explain my reasoning more thoroughly since I felt to a lot of people it would be kind of self evident. The problem with your changes, especially reducing damage, is just neutering. It's just kind of boring. I LIKE from a design perspective that Geras hits hard and I think the threat of the 50/50 KB is fine. What's not fine is the safety off the 50/50, the one dimensional gameplan around f212 where most characters can't poke back because of the pushback, him being able to LAUNCH YOU FOR RIGHTFULLY COUNTER POKING because of u2 being 6f ON TOP OF the neutral control that sand trap gives him.

So here's why I think EVERY nerf I suggested to Geras is fair.

F212: -3 still allows him to fraud out quite a bit against even the highest level players because their pokes don't fucking reach. Due to spacing/hitbox technicalities, this string may as well be plus against some characters, on top of the fact that he puts YOU in a mixup because even if you can successfully counterpoke, he just shimmies you into big damage OR he flawless block/throw tech OS's you. There is no situation when you block f212 where the read is in your favor. -7 prevents this from happening, and flawless blocking makes him have to mix it up a bit into gauntlet cancels etc. I do not believe an 11f gapless triple mid should also be this safe and give him mind games afterward.

111: 11 is still hit confirmable. This is a big ass damage 50/50. I see no universe in which this is unreasonable. I think nerfing the damage just makes this less hype/interesting or threatening. At that rate, I'd just take the sand trap every single time.

Sandtrap In infinite Warden: I feel like this is also obvious. One version simply leaves you in place, while the other one wins neutral for him and puts him right on top of you. This should absolutely be death on block for the reward he gets out of it or it should allow people to gain a fuck ton of ground on him.

Swapping the KB requirements on the sandtraps: Keep in mind that Infinite Warden would technically get a buff in this regard at the cost of no safety. I wanted "if X is X blocking" krushing blows to work out of strings, which his other sandtrap does. This doesn't castrate the 50/50 too badly and also gives him a useful krushing blow in his first variation.

U2 startup: This is also a given. This is such a rule breaker to the fundamentals to the game and I don't understand how people can defend it. I get launched for counter poking, which makes me not want to counter poke AND because it's so fast it allows him to OS a throw tech AND your d1/d3 at the same time? Fuck out of here. U2's should universally be in the same frame data margin.

I don't see after these changes how he's still not a VERY powerful character. He'd still be top 5. He'd just have to play his neutral more cautiously around 11, f32, d4 or b22.

Chernyy Volk

I don't think nerfing the strong tools is the way to go. Many characters only have a few viable moves with most being useless except in very situational times.
I'd rather they slightly buff the bad moves and if something becomes to powerful it can be toned down later.

Sonya does have great mix and damage with above average zoning but her mix comes from highs and the one that launches is punishable. Even though she can just B1/B12 you can still react after blocking the full string and punish it. All of her mix is vulnerable to pokes, some mids and KB D2's.

Many of the changes you suggested wouldn't balance those characters but completely neuter their main pressure and gameplay.

I'm fine with Erron's F4 MB being more negative and Scud not being used to make B222 safe but his 21212 mix is completely fuzzy blockable and it doesn't need a gap.

Cassie low Gunshot that's a mid has over 20f recovery on wiff and is hardly to powerful. There are plenty ways to counter it.
I feel the bottom 10 need to be brought up to baraka-Kitana tier and the top 5 only need minor adjustments nothing to strong. One thing is fine for each.

Sonya: reduce damage
Geras: make sand more unsafe on wiff and block.
Erron: make scud not cancelable off B222.video also be fine with The low shot off F4 being -15
Kabal needs a few gaps that can be flawless blocked. But I don't feel he is OP.

• All characters hitboxes need to be adjusted/fixed.
  • All pokes that wiff need to be adjusted.
  • All pokes into highs need to not wiff so they actually jail vs entire cast.
  • Female hitboxes need adjusted so moves connect properly and don't wiff.
  • KB requirements need to be adjusted across the cast to be more practical.
  • special moves like: Shaos Taunts, Kotal Sunlight/Quake need to be more practical (less recovery or startup)
  • Moves like Subs F24 connecting behind him into KB after opponent reads it and rolls need hitbox adjusted.
I also feel like certain characters need at least one practical launching string. Kotal 221 would be awesome but it needs hitbox fixed first.
"
I'd rather they slightly buff the bad moves and if something becomes to powerful it can be toned down later."

The universal tools in what I put down here get buffed. Nerfing the strong tools lends more to fundamentally strong play instead of degenerate power creep which already exists in the game. The characters are still strong after these nerfs. Please come up with an argument that makes a good case for how this wouldn't still be so?

"Many of the changes you suggested wouldn't balance those characters but completely neuter their main pressure and gameplay."

Like what does this even mean? Can you prove that? Just because I'd like them to have to use more than one string doesn't mean their pressure and gameplan is neutered. That's horrible gameplay design if those kind of things are what this game is built on.

BuffRaiden

Nerf Erron's F4 Already
If F3 becomes -7 he needs to lose the gaps on f34 and f32 that people can literally s1 out of, and lose the flawless block gaps.

Spear isn't safe full screen against a number of characters.

Death spin is punishable by the entire cast at nearly max range. Should I make a video?

The last one is just hilarious.
Can we also talk about how this scam artist basically ignored Scorpion.

His Spear should not be safe full screen. Death spin is hardly punishable unless it's done right in your face. And he even wants buffs for this braindead character.

F3 should be -7 on block, how's that Cherny. He doesn't need broken staggers.
I’d actually accept those changes. I think the gap in f34 is a little silly for the menial payout once krushing blow is gone.

If you could make a video off how to punish death spin with the entire cast I’d really appreciate it! No sarcasm.

Chernyy Volk

I’d actually accept those changes. I think the gap in f34 is a little silly for the menial payout once krushing blow is gone.

If you could make a video off how to punish death spin with the entire cast I’d really appreciate it! No sarcasm.
I actually don't need to because Azeez on Twitter made it for me. Let me get that for you.

Kabal is kind of boned, but as you'll see a lot of characters get max or near max range punishes on this.