What's new

General/Other - Ferra/Torr Ferra/Torr Post-patch report

Kamikaze_Highlander

PSN: Windude008
I wanted to ask this (but didn't want to start a thread just for it, so I'm using the XL one):

Is Vicious just a lesser version of Ruthless?

I toyed with Vicious a bit before XL and I'm toying with it now again, specially because medieval vicious looks really really cool.

But the more I try the more I think Ruthless cand do almost everything Vicious can, but better.

I've read about the tick throws tech in vicious (not sure if they're still there with the changes) and I know Ferra eats projectiles when thrown but...

- Ruthless has probably the easiest run cancel in the game (I SUCK at run cancels and I can do them) which also still apply its buff effects leading to some really serious damage. Granted you get some damage on yourself but they're great.

- Ruthless still got the other 2 projectiles for OH/Low mixups and they can now be meter burned into combo starters while boss toss needs meterburn to reach full screen so Vicious doesn't look to be that much better at range than Ruthless (it almost feels like either the low or oh should've been exclusive of vicious).

- Ruthless command throw is more damaging (I don't even know why Vicious throw needs extra inputs if the damage is still going to be worse unless I'm missing something).

So... basically, what pros have Vicious over Ruthless that justify picking it? What can it do that Ruthless can't?

I'm interested on the variation mostly because of the looks but I'm looking for gameplay reasons too.
Vicious absolutely is at the same level imo as Ruthless, they just have a different niche.

Pros for vicious are just better anti zoning tools, Ruthless still can do a good job, but some projectils can be tough to beat because they are so fast, Boss toss will eat almost every single projectile, even ones like Lui Kang's low fireball, which bowl girl does not eat. Haven't had a chance to test it post patch, but regular Ferra would still crush projectiles that also crushed projectiles, like Subs EX iceball, not sure if this is still the case or you have to EX Boss Toss to do the same.

And while the command grab isn't great damage wise, nor does it connect consistently with females (EX'd or not), it does have the nice property of leaving the opponent within striking distance of b2, but its not a hard knockdown so they can tech roll (I still don't understand this decision, considering both Lackey and Ruthless are HKD at full screen, the most useless place to have a HKD. I haven't tested it but I doubt that they changed it in the last patch), so best to use it in the corner, go with Boss toss ender for damage, or 2f/b4, or b1212, for the hard knockdown at close range. Also its still my favourite, just cuz of Ferra's stabbing, I wish EX Deep stab (Ruthless command grab, had a similar input.

Overall, Ruthless is more focused on punishing for big damage, and infuriating the opponent with PnG armour (my playstyle anyway, using it for pressure is a fine option too). Vicious is more focused on counter zoning, and making the opponent really work to get around all the Ferra zoning, and if they do, they still have to worry about d1. Seriously, you can bait run ins by throwing out Ferra, then watch them run straight into Torr's fist.

Last edited:

MK Led

Umbasa
you can combo off ex roll? what are inputs? and how much dmg
If you wanna keep it easy, from fullscreen you can do EX roll, d1xxcmd grab. Or you can do EX roll, 2f4xxroll, d1xx command grab or something like that. Can't remember the damage off the top of my head but the second one is somewhere in the low 30% range.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Not really. You have to roll from exactly full screen, which is risky because the armor frames are gone by the time you reach your opponent so this will be a very hard read in an actual match. The damage is great though.
Its not bad against people who do things like air guns and whatnot.

After trying out all the characters in the game I'm back with ferra torr who I picked first of all characters. I always mained vicious from release but now I'm getting into ruthless. My question is lackey still viable? At least from post patch? I know he was good prepatch

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
After trying out all the characters in the game I'm back with ferra torr who I picked first of all characters. I always mained vicious from release but now I'm getting into ruthless. My question is lackey still viable? At least from post patch? I know he was good prepatch
Lackey is even better now. His roll has way better recovery now so you can use it mid combo and a slightly damage buff. With good execution you can almost reach 50% with only a bar

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
it was really strong character already, and they buffed him. right now ruthless is top tier.

8-2s don't exist in this game. personally I don't even belive it's 7-3 post buffs, but that's arguable.
Bio says 8-2 for lackey And 7-3 for vicious and ruthless. Could be wrong but you can't argue that shinnok is probably the best counter for f/t in this game lol

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Bio says 8-2 for lackey And 7-3 for vicious and ruthless. Could be wrong but you can't argue that shinnok is probably the best counter for f/t in this game lol
I meant the Impostor/Ruthless MU, forgot to specify, sorry.

And don't worry, not arguing that Shinnok is a problem for F/T, but I don't think that the problem is the command grab (and free damage) Impostor gets, F/T's damage is already twice as big as Shinnok's. I'll blame hellsparks and teleport.