What's new

Female designs and lack of variety

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ah, I understand you now, thanks for re-explaining/clarifying.

I agree, and I also generally like the character looks and styles from Mortal Kombat XL. While I personally don't mind any of the style of looks, it's the gameplay more that interests me, I do think they hit a general sweet spot with that game.
I think the characters in X look phenomenal, just needs more color.

I agree on the gameplay though being far more important. Obviously. MK1 is a blast and I’ll probably be using Mileena as one of my characters, I don’t need to love a design to have fun. She’s always one of the funnest characters to play and that’s what matters.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
To be honest, Tanya is the only one I saw getting ferociously criticized, everyone else is mostly getting a good overall reception, if not for their primary costumes being deemed a bit uninspired. I don't know how Kitana with a rock hard abs would be received in the current state of affairs lol
You must have not seen all the Rain fans going apeshit about his redesign.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If we have Abby in the last of us 2 getting more jacked than any female natural lifter iv ever met in the powerlifting scene, in the zombie apocalypse within 4 fucking years, and some people honest to God think that’s “realistic” which it isn’t, NRS could get away with making actual superhumans look superhuman. Once again it doesn’t have to go into parody tier like Abby, but they don’t look like they’ve touched a weight in their lives.

I think the characters in X look phenomenal, just needs more color.

I agree on the gameplay though being far more important. Obviously. MK1 is a blast and I’ll probably be using Mileena as one of my characters, I don’t need to love a design to have fun. She’s always one of the funnest characters to play and that’s what matters.
I'll be sticking to my mains (Mileena and Kitana), and I'm excited to enjoy the game with my fiance. It'll be our first time going through a Mortal Kombat game together, and Invasion looks like a mode that we'll be able to have lots of fun with.

She's also going to be getting it for her Switch, and I'm very curious how that'll look and perform.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
You must have not seen all the Rain fans going apeshit about his redesign.
I completely forgot about Rain, I was mostly thinking about the female characters.

And personally I'm not a fan of his redesign at all too, but its not like I hate NRS for it, not all chars need to appeal to me specifically and they took a risk that pleased many people, so that's perfectly fine.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'll be sticking to my mains (Mileena and Kitana), and I'm excited to enjoy the game with my fiance. It'll be our first time going through a Mortal Kombat game together, and Invasion looks like a mode that we'll be able to have lots of fun with.

She's also going to be getting it for her Switch, and I'm very curious how that'll look and perform.
Hell yeah dude. My wife saw me playing the beta and said it looks like a game she wants to play. We did all the halo games co op together and are gonna do some MK9 tag ladders before this game comes out.

Hell yeah dude. My wife saw me playing the beta and said it looks like a game she wants to play. We did all the halo games co op together and are gonna do some MK9 tag ladders before this game comes out.
That's awesome! I hope you have a great time, and she properly gets into the franchise.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
If we have Abby in the last of us 2 getting more jacked than any female natural lifter iv ever met in the powerlifting scene, in the zombie apocalypse within 4 fucking years, and some people honest to God think that’s “realistic” which it isn’t, NRS could get away with making actual superhumans look superhuman. Once again it doesn’t have to go into parody tier like Abby, but they don’t look like they’ve touched a weight in their lives.
All I'm saying is she was buff (bigger than most) when she was younger, she had access to a gym and the healthiest clean food ever, while also doing physical activity apart from the gym everyday. So with the right genetics? Yep. For a regular person? Not even with juice.

Heels in games never make sense on almost any type of character. Revealing cleavage is a common thing in the real world. We have a series producer who walks around with her bra being clearly visible on a regular basis...
As a heels defender, I'll say it applies aesthetical variety (provided there was one in this case lol), and I'm all about that, and the fun is exactly in the fact games can go crazy with this kind of things. I always thought heels could draw beautiful and different silhouettes by altering stance and movement, which is a great asset for a martial arts game that relies on beautiful and varied representation of form through vast movesets.

Having said that, I can totally understand the Li Mei heels situation, it really undermines the complete spectrum of how women can be perceived, after all it's not like women all think alike and want only 1 thing out of characters representing their gender.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
All I'm saying is she was buff (bigger than most) when she was younger, she had access to a gym and the healthiest clean food ever, while also doing physical activity apart from the gym everyday. So with the right genetics? Yep. For a regular person? Not even with juice.
4 year time frame is the most unbelievable part. That’s also just not how body fat distribution works for muscular women. I know several elite natty female powerlifters who are much stronger than Abby and don’t look like her at all. Even with the genetic card it’s absurd. She had access to a weight room but even being incredibly charitable and pretending that would be enough, she couldn’t live like a body builder like you’d need to build a physique like that. She would have poor recovery from all of her responsibilities and what not. Not to mention the woman her body is modeled after is very clearly on gear.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
4 year time frame is the most unbelievable part. That’s also just not how body fat distribution works for muscular women. I know several elite natty female powerlifters who are much stronger than Abby and don’t look like her at all. Even with the genetic card it’s absurd. She had access to a weight room but even being incredibly charitable and pretending that would be enough, she couldn’t live like a body builder like you’d need to build a physique like that. She would have poor recovery from all of her responsibilities and what not. Not to mention the woman her body is modeled after is very clearly on gear.
Yeah, that's true. I mean she wouldn't have abs for sure, her midsection was way too masculine. But, with the right genetics women can get pretty big. I personally get huge, but I know I'll never have a six pack without juice or by just not eating cause I gain muscle quickly but I also gain fat extremely quickly. :laughing:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah, that's true. I mean she wouldn't have abs for sure, her midsection was way too masculine. But, with the right genetics women can get pretty big. I personally get huge, but I know I'll never have a six pack without juice or by just not eating cause I gain muscle quickly but I also gain fat extremely quickly. :laughing:
Women can achieve a lot more in the gym than most people think, that’s for sure. I know girls at my gym that makes a lot of men I know look like toddlers in terms of strength. And don’t say never, you might. No point in putting limiters on yourself because you’ll subconsciously hold yourself back. I will also put on size easily relative to other men, but will gain fat easier too. It’s 100 times easier to lose fat than gain muscle, so as far as lifting is concerned that’s a blessing for you.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Women can achieve a lot more in the gym than most people think, that’s for sure. I know girls at my gym that makes a lot of men I know look like toddlers in terms of strength. And don’t say never, you might. No point in putting limiters on yourself because you’ll subconsciously hold yourself back. I will also put on size easily relative to other men, but will gain fat easier too. It’s 100 times easier to lose fat than gain muscle, so as far as lifting is concerned that’s a blessing for you.
Yeah that's a good point, I guess sometimes we get too complacent and lazy, and we use this stuff as excuses.

Cicada 5

Noob
Well, to play devil's advocate, Outworld/Edenia doesn't seem to have modern gym equipment and their strength is clearly supernatural, even if they don't look it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Well, to play devil's advocate, Outworld/Edenia doesn't seem to have modern gym equipment and their strength is clearly supernatural, even if they don't look it.
I agree with this in literal terms, but I doubt Kung Lao has a power rack in his peasent village, nor the nutrition to get so big. Same goes for the Lin Kuei living in the frozen China mountains. Ironically, Cage is the only one who probably has a weight room in his home, but is smaller than the other men. The reality is NRS knows nobody wants to see these characters not looking big and strong, and good on them, rightfully so.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeah that's a good point, I guess sometimes we get too complacent and lazy, and we use this stuff as excuses.
Genetics are the worst black pill in fitness. It matters, but most people don't work hard enough to know if their genetics are good or bad regardless.

It's the same exact thing as people complaining about their "low tier" character. As in tiers matter when you're actually playing the character at a competent level (while lifting genetics matter when someone is working hard), when the people who complain the most about their 6/10 character are shit and play said character at a 2/10 level, so it wouldn't matter if they were playing the "OP" character, they'd still be shit. The lazy gym goer could have Ronnie Coleman genetics, but if they aren't actually getting in there and doing hard sets, managing their nutrition (same way a FG player has to go to the lab, learn matchups, etc), they will still be shit.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter

NRS should take some notes tbh. Character design, gameplay and especially animations. It's 10x better than anything in MK11 and MK1.
You are 100% right.

There is nothing overtly sexual about her outfit, but she looks amazing. That second outfit... ... ... wow!

I am literally buying the Season Pass just for her. She looks freaking amazing.