What's new

Female designs and lack of variety

Art Lean

Noob
On the default costumes all having toes out, maybe that the royal style lol as why there costumes similar but do get why would think some sus foot fetish stuff at work.
As a guy who actually likes feet, I gotta say, if it is on account of a horny programmer, then these 2-inch, flat-arched, fully open-toe heeled sandals NRS keep flaunting are not remotely sexy or flattering anyway.

And giving Johnny and Kano mandals for their Osh-Tekk skins in MK11 (which proper gave me the 'ick'), whilst Jade got a palette swap of her default boots, was a real kick to the teeth. And not in the way Tarantino got to enjoy either.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I'm more disturbed by the fact that Kitana and Mileena look amazing in the game, yet apparently that's still too ugly or "covered up" to a lot of people.
I've been trying to avoid meaningfully participating in or inflaming a conversation is almost certainly on its way to locked thread town

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
When it comes to the ladies' outfits, they're very overdesigned. They look really cluttered and all-over-the-place. But I think what separates them the most from the men's designs, is the women's outfits look much more like costumes than actual clothes someone would wear. If I had no knowledge of MK and was shown Mileena and Kitana, I would guess that they were some D-list superheroes I've never heard of.

In comparison, the outfits for the guys are generally simple and down-to-earth. Looking at the ninja gi that they wear, it looks like actual clothes someone would put on. They look simple and practical. This goes for Kung-Lao and Raiden as well. I think the below images to a good job showcasing these differences.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Li Mei's attire resembles that of a typical Outworld police officer, lacking uniqueness or distinction.
That's why I believe that the nicer skins will come at a price.
that make sense indeed

so Li Mei just use a fucking generic Outworld police cop outfit , hummm ? :laughing:

Sure she will have some alternate decent costume to compensate this lack of imagination ..... shame on you, NRS ! :p

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
When it comes to the ladies' outfits, they're very overdesigned. They look really cluttered and all-over-the-place. But I think what separates them the most from the men's designs, is the women's outfits look much more like costumes than actual clothes someone would wear. If I had no knowledge of MK and was shown Mileena and Kitana, I would guess that they were some D-list superheroes I've never heard of.

In comparison, the outfits for the guys are generally simple and down-to-earth. Looking at the ninja gi that they wear, it looks like actual clothes someone would put on. They look simple and practical. This goes for Kung-Lao and Raiden as well. I think the below images to a good job showcasing these differences.

View attachment 20769

View attachment 20770
The SZ / Scorpion outfits are like you said believable and still distinct enough to immediately communicate that Bi Han is flashier, thinks more highly of himself, and holds a higher rank than the other ninjas. And that Kuai Liang is focused purely on function with the Scorpion tattoo being the only “flashy” thing about him.

I actually like Kitana’s design, and Mileena’s to a little bit lesser degree, but as you said they’re over designed, to the point that I can’t tell what’s supposed to be accentuated, like Sub-Zero’s shoulders and forearms are very eye catching compared to Scorpion, and it seems really deliberate.

Last edited:
I'm sure this conversation never gets old.

"Why can't we have sexy women?"
"Go jerk off to (insert other game here)"
"Ackshually wimin showing skin IS progressive, so give me sexy outfits uhh I mean let them wear revealing outfits"
"Why can we have extreme violence but not nudity?"
"Oh the guys get to show skin but the wimin can't?"

It's a revolving door

Cicada 5

Noob
How is this an Empress exactly? Empress with this plain bodysuit!? She needed something regal, something fitting for the Empress! What is this exactly? Also what is going on with her tiny arms? Where are her guns? She had them in MK11. Why are all the females having same, tiny body type but big heads that don't fit the rest of the proportions??
....I don't think 11 Sindel had the kind of "guns" you're thinking of :).

Cicada 5

Noob
Clearly, the overall theme (and inspiration) of these designs is colored ninjas of the arcade era. I welcome it, though i get how jarring it can look with the current graphical engine. Male ninjas are no different.

Also...

You were so close, NRS, so so close... Sindel gets to be good and kind once again... at the expense of Jerrod, who's now forcing her to marry him. Whatever.
Nowhere is it stated the arranged marriage was his desire. Also, her bio states he was an ideal partner for her.

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
Huh, i forgot about this thread.

Nowhere is it stated the arranged marriage was his desire.
I think someone brought up a possibility, that it's his parents, so i might be assuming things, but it's not outright stated, so, until proven otherwise, i still stand by what i said.
Also, her bio states he was an ideal partner for her.
And before that it says, that she was "forced into it to placate a rebelious region" of outworld. The whole thing was made for the sake of territorial expansion, not a union of loving hearts (i swear, i'll get diabetes by typing that), so, by partner i thought of "business partner".

Cicada 5

Noob
The ultimate sentiment i didn't want to bring up. The bio reeks of it.
How?

I think someone brought up a possibility, that it's his parents, so i might be assuming things, but it's not outright stated, so, until proven otherwise, i still stand by what i said.

And before that it says, that she was "forced into it to placate a rebelious region" of outworld. The whole thing was made for the sake of territorial expansion, not a union of loving hearts (i swear, i'll get diabetes by typing that), so, by partner i thought of "business partner".
That's a pretty big assumption based on very little evidence. The truth is, we don't know nearly enough about Jerrod in this timeline to determine what he was like when he was alive.

Cicada 5

Noob

That's a pretty big assumption based on very little evidence. The truth is, we don't know nearly enough about Jerrod in this timeline to determine what
But they clearly can’t even come to a middle ground. I don’t oppose the way the women are dressed for this game, but we need something more exciting than what we have.
This is a middle ground. Some female characters are designed with sex appeal in mind and others aren't. And the ones that are designed to be sexy don't need to be dressed like something out of an issue of Playboy.

BumbleBee

Power of Toasty
Do i really have to chew it and spit it out for you ? Read it again, then, the undertone is clearly present. I'm about to head out for a couple of hirs, so, i have no time to discuss it further right now.

That's a pretty big assumption based on very little evidence. The truth is, we don't know nearly enough about Jerrod in this timeline to determine what he was like when he was alive.
Works both ways. I already said - you and i and anybody else don't know as much as NRS employees do. Doesn't mean i can't make an educated guess.

Cicada 5

Noob
I never understood the criticism in the first place. Isn’t it far more progressive for the female characters to express themselves however they want? The route they went is a far more conservative one, and it just doesn’t make any sense. It just feels super backwards that all the male characters can freely express themselves however they want, and then all the women all dress similarly like they’re all in the same cult where the leader will shun them if they show too much skin or something.

Hey… maybe that’s why Mileena got the Tarkat disease. Since she shows the most skin, that was her punishment from their cult leader!
"Women can dress however they want so long as it's what I want".

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
And you think you know what women want? Some of us are tomboys and don't like wearing tight or revealing clothing. While others are comfortable with wearing short skirts and belly shirts. It isn't about what everyone WANTS women to wear, what Juggs was saying, is women should wear what THEY want to wear. Because SHOCKER, women also are human beings with likes and dislikes and can make choices on their own. Comments like yours are not only ignorant but it's the big picture issue with how people think these days, especially on social media.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Completely misunderstood the point and is not what I said (or implied) at all. When you drastically change a characters appearance and more specifically how a character dresses, and that change is far more limited AND all the other characters of the same sex dress similarly, it’s pretty clear what the intent is there. Or rather, you’re left with only interpreting it in a particular way.

This new redpill movement and people like the Tate brothers really have poisoned people’s minds. Smh

And you think you know what women want? Some of us are tomboys and don't like wearing tight or revealing clothing. While others are comfortable with wearing short skirts and belly shirts. It isn't about what everyone WANTS women to wear, what Juggs was saying, is women should wear what THEY want to wear. Because SHOCKER, women also are human beings with likes and dislikes and can make choices on their own. Comments like yours are not only ignorant but it's the big picture issue with how people think these days, especially on social media.
100% exactly.

Cicada 5

Noob
Do i really have to chew it and spit it out for you ? Read it again, then, the undertone is clearly present. I'm about to head out for a couple of hirs, so, i have no time to discuss it further right now.

Works both ways. I already said - you and i and anybody else don't know as much as NRS employees do. Doesn't mean i can't make an educated guess.
Even if I were to see any negative undertones regarding Jerrod, that's still a long way from "men = bad" given how many heroic male characters are in just this one game alone.

Cicada 5

Noob
This isn't about policing what real women are wearing. This is about the fictional women in this game series. Fictional women whose clothing has been designed and approved by a mostly, if not entirely male team, often with the express purpose of appealing to male video game players, with little or no care for what real women would be interested in (at least until recently).

You can't divorce these discussions from the context of how women in video games (and other media) have historically been written and designed for the purpose of titillation of men. (Male) Video game fans generally didn't care about freedom of expression for women until companies decided not every game needed water balloon breasts or dental floss bikinis to sell (which is the only reason those things were ever included in games to begin with). You really think the average Mortal Kombat fan cares about how Sonya expresses herself sexually? The Boys even mocked this idea in one episode.

Last edited: