What's new

Fatal Blows Are Not Needed In This Game (Proposed Changes)

I wish they worked like supers in Injustice 2, the activation cutscene at the start keeps yolo supers to a minimum. For example, even though Superman's super is 6f startup, you can simply hold block during the activation cutscene and you will block it when it cuts back to gameplay. You could still get caught pressing buttons though.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
All fatal blows need is to have a screen freeze like literally every other fighter out there besides MK. Hell, they even had it in injustice ffs.

Tekken has the same mechanic but with way more creativity (rage arts and rage drives) and with less obnoxiousness (aforementioned screen freeze). In basically any other fighting game, supers don't tend to have much range, and are as reactable as it gets so they can't be thrown out in neutral willy nilly and you don't have to play the game in fear because the opponent actually has to read a button attempt.

But yet in this game characters have full or 3/4 screen armoured 30% unreactable unbreakable moves that appear for losing. You could literally be just over the 30% mark, lower your opponent's health to 30% and all of a sudden they have complete control over the pace of the match because if you whiff, jump, or just walk for too long you can get supered, and in a large amount of cases you cannot react. I play Kabal who has one of the best fatals but I firmly still believe they might be the dumbest fucking mechanic NRS have implemented like ever.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
Simply, because of krushing blows!

Now I know, y'all Johnny players gonna tell me his are ass, and they are, but what I'm proposing is that if NRS gives every character useful KBs and fix some of the ridiculous triggers off of some of them, would we really need fatal blows? I feel like if we would center our gameplan around getting KBs in combos, or out of them, then that would be the only comeback mechanic we would really need. Especially if you cash in on the throw KBs, which every character should have, but I also would propose that they should do less damage.

What do you all think about this?
I'm ok with them Tbh, it makes MK feel unique

Afumba

Noob
They're not going away, ever. They will be tweaked, they may even change to use meter, but they are never, ever going away. And it's not because of microtransactions.

How so? You're saying that with it someone can potentially get a 60% combo and take someone out who has twice the life lead. Yet at the same time there is no cost, even though without it they'd never be able to do the same. If they've already played it round1, then they're at a loss because the'll never get that opportunity again. They quite literally could have cost themselves the game because they used it early at the cost of using their FB.

I understand what you're saying about it being given to you rather than earned, but as discussed, it's a one off thing.

With all that said, i still like the idea of it staying as is for the first attempt, then you lose (not use, lose) meter at each subsequent attempt. It won't change the FB meta initially, but it will stop people throwing them out multiple times if they keep missing them.
I understand your point, i do but i still dont like it. Its too powerful, can be too decisive and changes the pace too much. Especially for something you literally just get for being at low health, has no cost beside of manage when to use it (which i dont think is a hard choice really) and isnt a guaranteed ressource. Even if your opponent used his who knows if you might get yours.

I also dont see it like "damn i used it to close out round 1 now i am at a disadvantage". I see it like "nice, i just stole this guys first round and i am up a round even though i shouldnt be. If i am lucky he is salty about it". I probably have to deal with his FB thread anyway at some point, losing that round and saving FB wouldnt change that. Sure he doesnt need to worry about FB anymore but i already successfully used it for what its for. Who knows if he even gets his FB and doesnt just die from a 30%+ combo before having access to it. (Which makes FB even worse cuz i now won with the help of a ressource he couldnt ever access)

You also see the 60% combo potential thing differently than me. For you its "without FB he cant do that anymore, its a one time only". I see it like "this kind of stuff shouldnt be around at all, especially not given free at low life". Thats why you see it as a cost (used up his one time only big comeback mechanic while the opponent potentially still has his) and i see it as just a gift. A gift meant to be a lifering/crutch to help steal the round. And i use steal cuz its not a ressource you are guaranteed to get, even if your opponent used his and you didnt. If someone hands me a gift like that and its the only way to ensure the round i take it. Its not a cost for me, i didnt earn it, it was free and who knows if i ever get it again or the chance to land it.

This game doesnt need a comeback mechanic like this but if we have to have one than it should be tied to anything but low health or limit you in some other ways once you have it. At the very least guarantee that you will have access to it (activate it earlier, cap FB combo damage to be below activation threshhold. Example: They could be activated at 50%health and only do 15-18%damage raw. Their scaling would be more generous in small combos and more drastic in big combos.)

With that being said, we have totally different viewpoints on these things. So i think we should call it here :). Thanks for the discussiom though.

Sanjo

Noob
I wish they worked like supers in Injustice 2, the activation cutscene at the start keeps yolo supers to a minimum. For example, even though Superman's super is 6f startup, you can simply hold block during the activation cutscene and you will block it when it cuts back to gameplay. You could still get caught pressing buttons though.
I think this is a good proposition, maybe the best so far. It would solve the problems while keeping the good things about this mechanic.

Kokoko

Somehow
Didn't read the thread, so maybe someone already suggested the same idea.

FBs only available when you have 10% or less and your opponent >=50%. All raw FBs should take 30% and scale in combos, so you can't get more then 40%. For example, if you land your FB in neutral, it will be 20% to 10% in favor of your opponent. And if you confirm your combo into FB, both opponents will have equal health at best.

Matix218

Get over here!
The more I play the more I hate this mechanic the way it is currently inplemented. I really hope nrs tones down the damage to 25% max and addresses the scaling from hit confirmable strings. Also 1 attempt per set is all you should get if the armor stays. And let them be easier to punish on block, why all the pushback???

The idea that both players could be holding their fb in a close match, 1 player is winning the match 33% health to 15% health, but that situation puts the losing player in an ADVANTAGEOUS position because he has access to a 1 button armored killshot as "reward" for having lower health is truly laughable IMO.

Matix218

Get over here!
man, a lot of you guys suck.
Defend the way FB is currently implemented then instead of saying the (majority of people who play the game mind you) people who don't like it "suck". I would be genuinely curious as to why you think the armor & current damage/scaling on FBs is ok in addition to the fact that you get it back in 5 seconds if you miss...

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Defend the way FB is currently implemented then instead of saying the (majority of people who play the game mind you) people who don't like it "suck". I would be genuinely curious as to why you think the armor & current damage/scaling on FBs is ok in addition to the fact that you get it back in 5 seconds if you miss...
i dunno, part of me likes having that ace in the hole to turn things around.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
25%, non armored, and 1 attempt (per round at least) for a single fast hitting and unbreakable move is still pretty strong...
non armored kinda makes it useless, especially for some of the slower ones. i think they need to keep the armor.

not comming back after being blocked tho i can work with that, unless you used it for a cancel like johnny cage can.

After all these KL matches I realize that I respect even the worst player with fatal blow available.

What if the 2 most prominent suggestions (cost all resources or one and done) were just an option in the settings? Tournament mode and such.
It seems FB's are here to stay....