What's new

Fantastically Fancy Fan Favourite: The Kitana general discussion-thread

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
you want to use 2,1~lift. More damage and it's faster. Yes it punishes Reptile's dash.

Hotfix is out and 2,1~lift now punishes Kano upball. Also use it to punish Skarlet's moves. d,f+2, d,b+2 and teleport are punishable by 2,1~lift.

Amr_Raed

Noob
what is generaly Kitana's best wake up move ?

for example if i am knocked down against a Sub Zero player , what is the best option if he decides to rush down or mixup with an overhead ?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm not very familiar with Kitana's 2,1 starter combos. So will someone share there BnB's for 2,1 starter?

I do 2,1~fan lift. dash twice, njp, b+2~air fan, ground fan, 4~cutter.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
what is generaly Kitana's best wake up move ?

for example if i am knocked down against a Sub Zero player , what is the best option if he decides to rush down or mixup with an overhead ?

Square boost if you want to GTFO. Pretty Kick and EX Cutter for invincibility. Sometimes I use EX fan lift. I don't think it has any invincibility, but it's so fast it'll often catch them.

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
Im trying to level up my game, but im stumbling on a few things.

- When trying more advanced combos, I can't manage to land a nj.Punch at all.
Any tips on timing this better? Does it matter which punch I use?

- I'm not seeing much use in "Pretty Kick" and by extention "Fake Out Kick".
"Pretty Kick" only seems like it should be used as a combo ender. (A sub-par combo ender)
And the "Fake Out Kick" seems to only exist to be a mixup if you're using "Pretty Kick" multiple times.
Maybe they're able to punish certain situations and im just not seeing it?

- I've noticed online, when I try to anti-air, my b2 or lift will get stuffed more often that not.
Are there better AA's that I should be trying to go for?
(I randomly tried 3-3-3-Lift the other night, to my surprise it worked, but I chalked it up to a fluke)

- My friends tell me Im too cautious in my meter use. I haven't found an x-ray combo that does enough
damage for me to justify 3 bars, so I pretty much just hoard it up for breakers unless they toss an unsafe projectile fullscreen.
About the only other time I will spend a bar is ending a corner combo with ex-Cutter.
Any suggestions on how I should be using my meter?
(Kind of depends on the matchup.. but I had to ask)

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
It does not matter which njp button you use. The key to the timing is pausing. I hold up and wait until I see them start to fall back down then hit punch.

Pretty Kick's only real use is as a wakeup move because it has invincibility frames.

Fake Out Kick/Pretty Kick is a useless mixup. Instead use the Fake Out Kick in block strings occasionally. It's way too slow to be your main low but you can throw it out there sometimes. It's safe on block.

Fan Lift is too slow to use as an anti-air. If you're going to use it, you should go EX. I would give up on using b+2 as an anti-air. 3 as an anti-air is ok. Personally I've given up on it. Instead try 2~fan or 2~lift. d+1 can work but not on crossups.

You are right, using X-Ray is not worth it in combos for it's damage. Think of using it more for when you want unbreakable damage. This is also the use of EX fans, extending combos with unbreakable damage. EX cutter and EX Lift are viable wakeup moves. EX Square Boost has armor. Hoarding for breakers is often the smart choice.

If you want to use meter but not on x-rays or breakers, use ex-fans. Because of the controll you have over the move it is pretty safe and it has a chance to net you some good damage. A good gamble once in a while in my opinion.

Amr_Raed

Noob
I was fighthing a Kuang lao player last night and i noticed few things :
1- his f3 the roll actually goes under the IAf , maybe my timing wasn't perfect but can somebody conifrm or deny this .

2-In this match if Kitana gets knocked down just once the round is over , because he will either do a block string on wake up the gives him tons of meter to get a breaker . I found d1 to be very usefull in this situation .

3-If i had my back to the corner and did a square boost , his spin would knock me out of it . i even tried it at the apex of the jump but would still get hit out of it by a ground spin .

kitana29

Banned
What should I do against a Liu Kang player who does nothing but get in my face and y x a, i try and zone but his fireballs are fast and powerful.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I was fighthing a Kuang lao player last night and i noticed few things :
1- his f3 the roll actually goes under the IAf , maybe my timing wasn't perfect but can somebody conifrm or deny this .

2-In this match if Kitana gets knocked down just once the round is over , because he will either do a block string on wake up the gives him tons of meter to get a breaker . I found d1 to be very usefull in this situation .

3-If i had my back to the corner and did a square boost , his spin would knock me out of it . i even tried it at the apex of the jump but would still get hit out of it by a ground spin .
1- iAF hits him out of the roll if done correctly.

2- Use her invincible wakeup moves to keep him from pressuring you (Pretty Kick, :en Pretty Kick, :en Fan Lift, Square Boost, :en Square Boost, and :en Fan Cutter are all invincible wakeup moves), it will make them think about their approach when they knock you down. Kitana is not without options. She can simply block on wakeup, imagine that.

3- Just block, if he spins, he dies. Don't panic against Kung Lao, if they smell your fear, they will pounce. Wait for the right opportunity to Square Boost out of the corner.

What should I do against a Liu Kang player who does nothing but get in my face and y x a, i try and zone but his fireballs are fast and powerful.
You can block it, then hit him before he does it again. You can d1, uppercut, :en Fan Lift, or even jump out before he can do the string again.

This is the most asked question I get when helping people out... they ask me "How do I get out of Liu Kang's infinte?" LOL!

kitana29

Banned
1- iAF hits him out of the roll if done correctly.

2- Use her invincible wakeup moves to keep him from pressuring you (Pretty Kick, :en Pretty Kick, :en Fan Lift, Square Boost, :en Square Boost, and :en Fan Cutter are all invincible wakeup moves), it will make them think about their approach when they knock you down. Kitana is not without options. She can simply block on wakeup, imagine that.

3- Just block, if he spins, he dies. Don't panic against Kung Lao, if they smell your fear, they will pounce. Wait for the right opportunity to Square Boost out of the corner.

You can block it, then hit him before he does it again. You can d1, uppercut, :en Fan Lift, or even jump out before he can do the string again.

This is the most asked question I get when helping people out... they ask me "How do I get out of Liu Kang's infinte?" LOL!
Thanks I'll try that out when my friend tries to do it again tonight lol, and I just got done watching some of your Revelations matches, good stuff.

I do 2,1~fan lift. dash twice, njp, b+2~air fan, ground fan, 4~cutter.
For more damage you can do 2,1 ~ fan life, dash, njp, b+2 ~ air fan,dash,4~ground fan, f2~cutter. 38% no jump in 41% with jump in

Trick is timing the 4 so they kinda land onto it, but besides that it pretty easy.

Final note about this combo it seems like you can meaty a projectile on wake-up but be able to block reversal slide/EX nomad run. Kinda tight timing as some time i seem to get busted but you can always just to the projectile ASAP to bait the reversal and even though they wouldn't have blocked it if you block the reversal thats 48% dmg.

xTHUGx

Noob
For more damage you can do 2,1 ~ fan life, dash, njp, b+2 ~ air fan,dash,4~ground fan, f2~cutter. 38% no jump in 41% with jump in

Trick is timing the 4 so they kinda land onto it, but besides that it pretty easy.

Final note about this combo it seems like you can meaty a projectile on wake-up but be able to block reversal slide/EX nomad run. Kinda tight timing as some time i seem to get busted but you can always just to the projectile ASAP to bait the reversal and even though they wouldn't have blocked it if you block the reversal thats 48% dmg.
Are you sure you only dash once right after fan lift in that combo? I usually whiff the NJP by dashing once.

you might have to dash some extra but you have enough time to put like 3 extra dashes in different parts of that combo and get it to work. lol, all of kitana's combo's involve lots of dashing. to be honest i think i only dash twice when i do the f21 combo but i know for a fact i forgot a dash AFTER the njp, because b+2 i think whiffs sometimes if you don't dash there.

Started messing around in training mode and might have found something interesting it appears her 3->3 is really close to even or advantage. Not only that the first hit is mid (must be blocked low) and jails into the second hit. Not only that but by holding back most cr. jabs tend to whiff here and a single step back puts you at max sweep range. On hit you can confirm a cutter or EX lifter into a combo.

Also f.3 seems to go over lows and maybe some down jabs messing around with the computer till my next human get together and seems like it works sometimes. Not 100% as I need a human to test but definately beats d. 3's.

Something to think of in matches i just noticed is st. X-ray hits crouchers so low sindel fireball/sub-zero fireball can get busted by it.

Needs more testing but won't be able to do that till next weekend.

xTHUGx

Noob
Started messing around in training mode and might have found something interesting it appears her 3->3 is really close to even or advantage. Not only that the first hit is mid (must be blocked low) and jails into the second hit. Not only that but by holding back most cr. jabs tend to whiff here and a single step back puts you at max sweep range. On hit you can confirm a cutter or EX lifter into a combo.

Also f.3 seems to go over lows and maybe some down jabs messing around with the computer till my next human get together and seems like it works sometimes. Not 100% as I need a human to test but definately beats d. 3's.

Something to think of in matches i just noticed is st. X-ray hits crouchers so low sindel fireball/sub-zero fireball can get busted by it.

Needs more testing but won't be able to do that till next weekend.
3->3 does not hit MED.

lobo

woof.
it beats all lows and throws iirc. i use it OFTEN up close for a couple reasons.

a: it beats throws. this includes kano xray which i always eat because he pretty much has unlimited free meter vs kitana because of his stupid knives and because i'm so scared of trying a jump over on him. it beats low combo starters and also beats most low/overhead mixups because it will tech jump the low and hit before the overhead...in most cases.

b: you can hit check f31 pretty easily into f31, bb2 > fan lift combo of your choice or f31cutter for a free jump in.

it will also option select raiden if he is putting TP cancel pressure on you and become b3 for a good poke interrupt.

it is one of her best up close moves imo.

3->3 does not hit MED.
it's considered "high" but it can't be ducked. So special mid? Not sure what to call it >.> they made their designation very wierd. I like how brady designates in his guide. H -> can be ducked M -> can't be ducked L -> a low and he designates any M with over head properties as "overhead".

It was annoying me in my pressure game that only cutter left me at semi-advantage and noticed 3->3 into f.3 was doing really well vs the computer so I went to training mode and it looks minor advantage. Than I could use d. 1 to train people than mixup sweep and f.3 and eventually dash throw after some good training. >.> i want a better close-up game for matches where i can't fan as much as I'd like too, lol.

Pretty sure f31 does not beat Kano's xray since its happened to her when I was playing her. Also f31cutter does not lead to a safe jump because the landed 1 results in a low juggle initiated. And...option select raiden? Well whether ur trolling or not still wanted to clarify things.
?? Doesn't cutter lead to a safe jump always? cutter causes stagger which puts you at like +41 frames or something silly.

also the b+4 is safe on block might be interruptable though with x-ray or something silly though.

lobo

woof.
Pretty sure f31 does not beat Kano's xray since its happened to her when I was playing her. Also f31cutter does not lead to a safe jump because the landed 1 results in a low juggle initiated. And...option select raiden? Well whether ur trolling or not still wanted to clarify things.
rofl. sure, i'm trolling. oh wait it was loling

a: it does beat kanos xray.

b: it does give her a free jump in...you are probably doing f312 and not f31df2

c: try holding f. and doing f313 very quickly. if raiden ends his b312 or 334 string and tries to attack after it with anything but d1/superman it will give you f31 and beat him. if he TP cancels at the end of the string you will automatically do b33 and beat out any repeated string.

xTHUGx

Noob
rofl. sure, i'm trolling. oh wait it was loling

a: it does beat kanos xray.

b: it does give her a free jump in...you are probably doing f312 and not f31df2

c: try holding f. and doing f313 very quickly. if raiden ends his b312 or 334 string and tries to attack after it with anything but d1/superman it will give you f31 and beat him. if he TP cancels at the end of the string you will automatically do b33 and beat out any repeated string.
Some good combos after f+3,1.

F+3,1~Fan Lift, dash, NJP, dash, B+2~Air Fan Toss, dash, Fan Toss, 4, D,F+2
F+3,1~Fan Lift, dash, NJP, B+2, Air Fan Toss, dash, Fan Toss, dash, 2~Fan Toss, dash, 2~D,F+2