What's new

Fantastically Fancy Fan Favourite: The Kitana general discussion-thread

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
You know what Ive been silly all around...I was thinking f41...fuck this is embarrassing. What can I say I had a busy weekend and Ive been making mistakes as a result.

DrDogg

Noob
Started messing around in training mode and might have found something interesting it appears her 3->3 is really close to even or advantage. Not only that the first hit is mid (must be blocked low) and jails into the second hit. Not only that but by holding back most cr. jabs tend to whiff here and a single step back puts you at max sweep range. On hit you can confirm a cutter or EX lifter into a combo.

Also f.3 seems to go over lows and maybe some down jabs messing around with the computer till my next human get together and seems like it works sometimes. Not 100% as I need a human to test but definately beats d. 3's.

Something to think of in matches i just noticed is st. X-ray hits crouchers so low sindel fireball/sub-zero fireball can get busted by it.

Needs more testing but won't be able to do that till next weekend.
I don't play Kitana like most others play Kitana. My Kitana was almost 100% close combat until I saw Konqrr's Kitana. Once I saw his I added a bit of his zoning game, but I still prefer close quarters combat. I use f+3,1, 33, and b+33 regularly in my close quarters game.

33 and b+33 are two of Kitana's fastest attacks. f+3,1 does avoid crouching attacks and throws, but because it's so slow (18 frame start-up), the timing is tricky. I don't use it to attempt to jump over lows anymore. It's just not reliable enough.

Just to let you guys know. F+4,B+4 is a good mixup, not sure if safe.
Not really. Most people can block the b+4 on reaction.

c: try holding f. and doing f313 very quickly. if raiden ends his b312 or 334 string and tries to attack after it with anything but d1/superman it will give you f31 and beat him. if he TP cancels at the end of the string you will automatically do b33 and beat out any repeated string.
The problem with f+3 against Raiden is that at the end of his combos, he usually does a d+1, Superman, or nothing. Some Raiden's will go for the cross-up attempt as well. In most cases against Raiden I find that f+3 gets stuffed quite often due to Raiden's d+3 spam. Usually I can only get it off after a blocked jump punch, but in that situation I'd rather use f+4,1~Cutter so I can get frame adv on block or a safe jump on hit.

I don't play Kitana like most others play Kitana. My Kitana was almost 100% close combat until I saw Konqrr's Kitana. Once I saw his I added a bit of his zoning game, but I still prefer close quarters combat. I use f+3,1, 33, and b+33 regularly in my close quarters game.

33 and b+33 are two of Kitana's fastest attacks. f+3,1 does avoid crouching attacks and throws, but because it's so slow (18 frame start-up), the timing is tricky. I don't use it to attempt to jump over lows anymore. It's just not reliable enough.
Indeed that's why i started messing with them. Are you able to verify how good 33 -> d1 is on block (can they interrupt)? or if 33 is advantage/near even/disadvantage?

kitana's normals are all slow so only move we can ever expect to frame trap are d1 and d3 : P I didn't realize how slow her normals really were until i compared frame data. Except sheeva she might be the slowest character in the game, normals wise.

DrDogg

Noob
Indeed that's why i started messing with them. Are you able to verify how good 33 -> d1 is on block (can they interrupt)?

kitana's normals are all slow : P except d1 of course which is awesome.
I use d+1 after just about anything. The problem is that without proper frame data, I can't guarantee it's advantage. At this point in the game's life, most people don't know when Kitana gets an uninterruptable d+1. For example, after f+2,1, Kitana doesn't get an uninterruptable d+1, but 99% of players (even Kitana players) don't know this.

I use d+1 after just about anything. The problem is that without proper frame data, I can't guarantee it's advantage. At this point in the game's life, most people don't know when Kitana gets an uninterruptable d+1. For example, after f+2,1, Kitana doesn't get an uninterruptable d+1, but 99% of players (even Kitana players) don't know this.
hm.... i'm playing with a top texas player this weekend who plays cage/scorp whose typically pretty nice about doing some training mode stuff with me when we get together so I'll try and test some stuff out and post them afterwards. This game needs a record function so badly, think it severely hinders game progression.

Sometimes when you do d+1, Kitana goes through projectiles and teleports. I've seen on numerous occassions where Scorpion or Smoke will teleport during her d+1 sequence and they end up on the same side of the screen they started.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
What are Kitanas options if the opponent remains on the ground on knockdown?
Well, when they do that, they can't do a wakeup until they roll back and even then it is not invincible anymore so any of your attacks will hit them out of it. If you are close, doing f4(whiff)1 will hit them if they don't block it and then you have advantage or a free combo if it hits.

Sweep or d3 are both good options because they force them to get up. If you time it right, you can land a jump kick which can be blocked but gives you big frame advantage.

You have the upper hand when they stay grounded so do whatever you want.

In prep for this weekend i started really trying to dissect the cage matchup and came to some realizations that might help people pressure cage near the corner.

I realized that anytime i got a punish combo near the corner we were both stuck in the corner and that if i got reversaled i was up shit creek after this because i was at his mercy. I couldn't create a whole lot of space as if i jumped back ex kick got me and if i back dashed and baited i wasn't in a very good pressure scenario so i tinkered with different types of jumps.

I found you can SF style safe jump in this game by using jump kick and not jump punch (don't cancel into fan). What this does is if they reversal you land with block and get a punish combo and if they block your left at significant advantage to do whatever you want. If they don't block they get hit by the kick and if your very quick you can hit 2 fan I think their might even be a true option select timing for this but if so it's very difficult. If you jump and they are in the corner however it is a very easy confirm.

It also let's you setup a similar punish with sub-zero where if he slides he runs away for a possible EX-fan punish or if he clones he gets kicked in the face.

Astonishingly because moves are so slow in this game it's incredibly easy to do after any juggle that ends in cutter near the corner. After this weekend i might try to make a more end depth guide.

Edit: some armor attacks might stop it, it seems only invincibility frames allow this. armor causes to get stuck in hit stop in the air and get hit it seems. hm... seems its inconsistent based on how you jump theirs a window where the armor attack doesn't auto-correct. However, given their is a 90% chance they will flash kick on wake-up and it beats that everytime might be useful.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
A video would be nice to show what you are talking about.

Using terms like reversal on here will only confuse people. I'm sure you mean wakeup attack.

Good stuff though.

FYI...If you hit your opponent and they have armor, you go into the same animation that would happen if your attack was blocked.

xTHUGx

Noob
In prep for this weekend i started really trying to dissect the cage matchup and came to some realizations that might help people pressure cage near the corner.

I realized that anytime i got a punish combo near the corner we were both stuck in the corner and that if i got reversaled i was up shit creek after this because i was at his mercy. I couldn't create a whole lot of space as if i jumped back ex kick got me and if i back dashed and baited i wasn't in a very good pressure scenario so i tinkered with different types of jumps.

I found you can SF style safe jump in this game by using jump kick and not jump punch (don't cancel into fan). What this does is if they reversal you land with block and get a punish combo and if they block your left at significant advantage to do whatever you want. If they don't block they get hit by the kick and if your very quick you can hit 2 fan I think their might even be a true option select timing for this but if so it's very difficult. If you jump and they are in the corner however it is a very easy confirm.

It also let's you setup a similar punish with sub-zero where if he slides he runs away for a possible EX-fan punish or if he clones he gets kicked in the face.

Astonishingly because moves are so slow in this game it's incredibly easy to do after any juggle that ends in cutter near the corner. After this weekend i might try to make a more end depth guide.

Edit: some armor attacks might stop it, it seems only invincibility frames allow this. armor causes to get stuck in hit stop in the air and get hit it seems. hm... seems its inconsistent based on how you jump theirs a window where the armor attack doesn't auto-correct. However, given their is a 90% chance they will flash kick on wake-up and it beats that everytime might be useful.
I would like some more deep details about this, heck this might benefit many Kitana players. Maybe a video like Konqrr mentioned would be nice.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I was noticing how using a jump kick after knocking Sub down and if he did the slide you would land unscathed and could pursue and punish. Although a wakeup xray would probably hit you due to armor. This is very good stuff!

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Very interesting. That's weird considering invincibility in MK9 is basically armor w/o the flash and taking damage.

xTHUGx

Noob
I was noticing how using a jump kick after knocking Sub down and if he did the slide you would land unscathed and could pursue and punish. Although a wakeup xray would probably hit you due to armor. This is very good stuff!
A neutral JK or jump forward kick?

EDIT: this doesn't work 100% of the time. I was trying it in practice with the CPU on wakeups and it when I would jump kick to subzero and he slided, he would just sorta like have armor and go through me and still hit me with the EX slide.

Edit: Add some organization
More i mess with it more wierd it seems. It seems that you can beat some armor attacks (EX shock grab of raidens) but some invincible attacks are too fast (namely spin) so im not 100% sure about how this works at the moment.

I main Sheeva, and her 212F1 BF3 combo isn't able to be done on Kitana or Mileena, unless they are in their MK3 costume. Does it increase their hit box size or is it just one of those weird things like Cyrax's MK3 costume still being able to do bomb trap?

I main Sheeva, and her 212F1 BF3 combo isn't able to be done on Kitana or Mileena, unless they are in their MK3 costume. Does it increase their hit box size or is it just one of those weird things like Cyrax's MK3 costume still being able to do bomb trap?
There's a known issue with a couple strings in the game not working on kitana but didn't know it was different for different costumes. Wierd.

Whaaaatt? Goshdernit, I feel like I spent my money just to make myself more combo vulnerable now >_>