What's new

Fantastically Fancy Fan Favourite: The Kitana general discussion-thread

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Playing as Kitana online is absolutely infuriating. All of her mid/high damage combos require some level of precision timing that just doesn't happen online. NJPs? Nope. iAFs? Forget it; I usually get all the way back to the ground before the fan even goes out. Even simple linkers like b+2~df+1 never seem to come out. Compare this to the Johnny Cages, Nightwolfs, Ermacs, and Kung Laos that can basically dial out 30+% damage with hardly any need for timing.
I land the combos online all the time, but I've done them so much that I don't go off what is happening on the screen lol

Yes, they are difficult... but with practice, you can do them anywhere... offline or on.

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
I land the combos online all the time, but I've done them so much that I don't go off what is happening on the screen lol

Yes, they are difficult... but with practice, you can do them anywhere... offline or on.
I agree, instead of timing button presses with whatever's going on the screen, I find it's a lot easier to do combos consistently by practicing them over and over until they get into your muscle memory and you don't really have to think when doing combos. The good thing about combos is that if you've already developed a rhythm for it, you don't really need any visual confirmation to pull it off past the first hit unlike resets and other mindgames.

That said, I too still have trouble landing a NJP in lag online after doing a fan lift. I end up whiffing many times, and waste an opportunity to land a free combo...

MKNoob

Noob

LOL you're also an effing legend.

Edit: potty mouth

lobo

woof.
i do her iAF online all day no problem...it is a muscle memory thing and lag doesn't effect it at all.

also, when playing online, i tone down my BnB to f21, b2AF, fan, f2cutter. it is completely mashable, has no delays or dashes and is easy to get 100% even online. does like 37% iirc.

MKNoob

Noob
I agree, instead of timing button presses with whatever's going on the screen, I find it's a lot easier to do combos consistently by practicing them over and over until they get into your muscle memory and you don't really have to think when doing combos. The good thing about combos is that if you've already developed a rhythm for it, you don't really need any visual confirmation to pull it off past the first hit unlike resets and other mindgames.

That said, I too still have trouble landing a NJP in lag online after doing a fan lift. I end up whiffing many times, and waste an opportunity to land a free combo...
That's the thing, though; Kitana's heavy-hitting combos are ALL about timing. Specifically, in f+2, 1, NJP, ff~4~df+1, ff~4~bb2, b+2~df+1, df+1~4~df2 (her 48% combo), the timing of the NJP and of the first 4+ground fan are *essential* to the success of that combo. I mean, if you're Konqrr, maybe, but I don't really think you can just mindlessly queue up that combo and it will automagically just unfold on the screen whenever the lag clears up.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I also can never get njp to work online. I use a similar online combo as lobo. f+2,1, jk~air fan, fan, f+2~cutter. b+2~fan is hard too. IAF and ISB isn't too bad.

i seem to be having an issue with cross over j.ps. this might be a general character thing but i have no idea what to do after a knockdown and my opponent is constantly going for the cross ups.

b+2 misses/stuffed, fan lift gets stuffed and i can't really crouch against that...

im just frustrated. =\

Lomyn

Snoctopus
i seem to be having an issue with cross over j.ps. this might be a general character thing but i have no idea what to do after a knockdown and my opponent is constantly going for the cross ups.

b+2 misses/stuffed, fan lift gets stuffed and i can't really crouch against that...

im just frustrated. =\
You can TRY an uppercut, but Kitty's kinda sucks. The only things that work consistently for me are jump back kick if you anticipate the cross up, or x-ray (the startup hits pretty high above her). Kitana seems to fall apart when an opponent is on top of her.

If anyone has anything that works consistently, I would love to know, because at this point I've dropped her out frustration.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Can you use an NJP if you anticipate a cross up? As if you whiff a NJP, you can still use an air fan out of it to perhaps give you a bit of space.

lobo

woof.
if you are already on top of them and get a KD, try f41. the f4 will whiff and the overhead should lock them down. just be careful of wakeup moves. most inv wakeups are punishable though, so you should be at an advantage in the oki because you can choose to block their wakeup or go ahead w/ f41.

lobo

woof.
ok who in the hell is SIN_Wrath?

holy shit his kitana lit me up on PSN. punishing my raiden TP for 54%!?!?!?!?!?

i've never seen anything like it, especially online. i must find this man and steal from him.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
I know that this is the Kitana discussion forum, but wanted to say congrats to Konqrr for his performances in the Revelations tournament. You have really put Kitana on the map. Looking at the way she is used, I've learned a lot more stuff and she seems to be getting better and better

Jinx

Give Me Strength
I haven't played online TOO much, but regardless, I understand frustrations. From the few matches with Kitana that I have played, NJP = failure. My f2+1->NJP set up alone will never come out, let alone the rest of that combo. It's pretty ridiculous sometimes.

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I know that this is the Kitana discussion forum, but wanted to say congrats to Konqrr for his performances in the Revelations tournament. You have really put Kitana on the map. Looking at the way she is used, I've learned a lot more stuff and she seems to be getting better and better
Big grats Konqrr.
Does anyone know if there is some vids of his kitana? I looked at the massive hour long vid and found him playing against Ermac (awesome by the way) but I was wondering if anyone had anymore or a shorter one. I was hoping to learn a thing or five.

Shiizu

Theory Fighter
Good stuff, Konqrr. I wasn't able to catch you on stream so i'm hoping there will be vids out soon for the rest of us Kitana players to see and enjoy. =)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I can't wait for the vids myself. I heard Aris was calling me a wuss for hiding behind her fans LOL

Thanks for the support guys.

xTHUGx

Noob
Hey I'm looking for ways to improve my Kitana character. And I would love to know how to punish Kung Lao's 1,2,1 punches they seem to put alot of presssure on me and idk what to do. It's just way too fast and even if I block it i'm still right next to my opponent. Also I've tried doing d1 but he's still on me! HELP please.

Hey I'm looking for ways to improve my Kitana character. And I would love to know how to punish Kung Lao's 1,2,1 punches they seem to put alot of presssure on me and idk what to do. It's just way too fast and even if I block it i'm still right next to my opponent. Also I've tried doing d1 but he's still on me! HELP please.
That's a good question, I'm having difficulty with the whole Kung Lao match up.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
That's a good question, I'm having difficulty with the whole Kung Lao match up.
You have to really pay attention to when the string stops and react with d1 or jump back. You can interrupt him every time before he does another string but you have to be fast. Keep blocking and you will begin to see his patterns. Don't fear the spin, you block it and you get 48% every time.

im just frustrated. =\
wakeup buttslam works for me. Usually it won't actually hit, it'll just get you the fuck outta there. And as far as I can tell, she gets some invincibility on it as well.

-Dammit_rab

DrDogg

Noob
You have to really pay attention to when the string stops and react with d1 or jump back. You can interrupt him every time before he does another string but you have to be fast. Keep blocking and you will begin to see his patterns. Don't fear the spin, you block it and you get 48% every time.
What are you punishing with post-patch, and are we talking about crouching block punishment as well as standing block?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
What are you punishing with post-patch, and are we talking about crouching block punishment as well as standing block?
Her bnb in either stand or crouch block. With patch 1.02, you can take a nap and still punish the spin.

DrDogg

Noob
Her bnb in either stand or crouch block. With patch 1.02, you can take a nap and still punish the spin.
Awesome! I've had very little time to play these past few weeks. My PS3 doesn't have any of the updates on it because I haven't turned it on in close to a month. :(