What's new

F Champ Receives Lifetime Ban, Racism in the FGC/USA, and Other Prevalent Social Discussions

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Just to bring back the human perspective on this.. Stuff like this is why we need to stay vigilant:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/20/us/suspect-shooting-at-judge-salas-home/index.html

Everyone will just say "it's just talk" or "it's just opinions" etc. until it happens. But it's out here and it's real. And allowing these kinds of toxic mindsets to spread unchecked always results in tragedy.
Absolute truth.
Good riddance to that coward.
This is terrifying, especially when you worry how much more we may see along these lines building up to November/January.

Also, it's funny how the "free thinkers" never have anything constructive to say when there are actual bodies on the chopping block, and the kind of people who comprise the majority of Trump and the GOP's remaining base are out in the open doing people real life severe harm.

Stay quiet.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Everyone will just say "it's just talk" or "it's just opinions" etc. until it happens. But it's out here and it's real. And allowing these kinds of toxic mindsets to spread unchecked always results in tragedy.
What do you suggest be done? He was obviously a dangerous loon who had troublesome and unpopular views that most people would scoff at.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Here is something I find frustrating: https://www.npr.org/2020/07/21/893471887/seeking-suburban-votes-trump-targets-rule-to-combat-racial-bias-in-housing?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quick summary of the article: President Trump is replacing a rule put in place by the Obama administration that attempted to combat racial discrimination in housing. He's doing it to try and "save the suburbs".

To me this is a prime example of the implicit racism that Trump works into his rhetoric constantly. Essentially he's telling white suburban voters "hey, minorities are going to start moving into your neighborhood, bringing all their crime with them and destroying your home value!".

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
His comments in regards to the upcoming election scare me more than anything. Elder Gods help us all if he goes out with one last nationwide embarrassing action having to be forcibly removed from office.
I would not be at all surprised if Biden were to win the election, that Trump wouldn’t accept the results and first demand a recount. Then try to put the election under some type of investigation since he would technically still be president. Because if he isn’t re-elected, all the protections he has from the law/courts vanishes, right? It just seems only natural that he would so something like that.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Here is something I find frustrating: https://www.npr.org/2020/07/21/893471887/seeking-suburban-votes-trump-targets-rule-to-combat-racial-bias-in-housing?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Quick summary of the article: President Trump is replacing a rule put in place by the Obama administration that attempted to combat racial discrimination in housing. He's doing it to try and "save the suburbs".

To me this is a prime example of the implicit racism that Trump works into his rhetoric constantly. Essentially he's telling white suburban voters "hey, minorities are going to start moving into your neighborhood, bringing all their crime with them and destroying your home value!".
It's what he tried to do in 2018 by fear-mongering everything to death over the caravan that was supposedly going to fill the country with rapists and murderers. Thankfully, it backfired in a way big enough to win the House an overwhelming majority.

I would not be at all surprised if Biden were to win the election, that Trump wouldn’t accept the results and first demand a recount. Then try to put the election under some type of investigation since he would technically still be president. Because if he isn’t re-elected, all the protections he has from the law/courts vanishes, right? It just seems only natural that he would so something like that.
The only silver lining that will come with that is that hopefully by the time he's lost, the people who are currently holding their youngest about him for the sake of keeping their jobs will have room to speak out, and the voices in the room against him will be loud enough to drown him out. Thankfully, the checks and balances and seperation of power he's tried so hard to get around are still very sturdy; chances are that no one he'd need to move in order to enact such a farce would have to lift a finger, and none of his puppets are going to risk what's left of their careers if he's soundly defeated.

Unless Biden somehow manages to completely screw himself over...if there's an election, Trump is going to lose. And with the size of the cases the SDNY has against him, not to mention the possibility of residual legal implications for what he's done as POTUS that he can't be charged for while he still has office, and the secrets he must know now that he'll almost certainly threaten to throw people under the bus with...yeah, Jeffrey Epstein's going to have some pretty gross company in Hell.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I just hope RBG can hang on awhile longer and get a chance to retire if Biden wins.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I think it was in one of the interviews with Trump's niece Mary (I could be misremembering tho) where she was asked about this kind of speculation; her prediction was that it depends on how close the election is. If it's a landslide, she doesn't think he's likely to fight it (would lose too much face on a hopeless cause), but if it's only a few points difference, he totally might do it. Scary thought indeed.

The recent SCOTUS decision basically said he's not immune from investigation under the law, so he's not officially protected as is; but right, as long as he's in his office, his arch enablers like AG Bill Barr can continue kneecapping field offices and otherwise gumming up the works and making investigation essentially impossible.

trufenix

bye felicia
Trump has already made it clear he will fight a loss. He has cheated before and he will cheat again. Pretending this election will proceed in any sense of decorum or without corruption is just giving them an advantage.

THEY ARE ALREADY IN CONTROL. THEY ARE ALREADY ABUSING THEIR POWER.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
Regarding Trump losing the election (which he will, ban me permanently if he doesn't) I worry about what his batshit insane supporters will do. Especially the truly insane (QAnon etc, well done to Twitter for banning them by the way). The vast majority of them are all talk and lose their bravado when even slightly challenged, but I can see a sizeable amount of unhinged Trump supporters just losing their shit. I'm talking shootings etc.

These are people who build their entire lives around politics - and more specifically, feverishly supporting Trump. Their world will crumble when he loses.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole

Even more troubling because his “wife” Melania clearly isn’t White.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
They say Trump is bad, but Biden will be worse.

Its that simple.
Not a chance. And I loathe Biden. I'm disgusted on a daily basis by how Sanders was snubbed the second cycle in a row so the DNC could protect their rich benefactors from paying their taxes. But short of literally doing a The Matrix and scorching the sky to black out the Sun, I do not see in any rational capacity how Biden would even be capable of fucking up on the level Trump and his administration - which has the highest turnover/revolving door rate in the history of modern executive politics - have been dropping the ball since day one. It's not going to be perfect or even pleasant, but it at least won't be the cancer we've been watching metastasize for the last four years.

Regarding Trump losing the election (which he will, ban me permanently if he doesn't) I worry about what his batshit insane supporters will do. Especially the truly insane (QAnon etc, well done to Twitter for banning them by the way). The vast majority of them are all talk and lose their bravado when even slightly challenged, but I can see a sizeable amount of unhinged Trump supporters just losing their shit. I'm talking shootings etc.

These are people who build their entire lives around politics - and more specifically, feverishly supporting Trump. Their world will crumble when he loses.
This is also my biggest fear. I have NO doubt in my mind he's already lost. And while I'm going to savor every moment of watching his supporters, especially the ones on here, have to shut the fuck up forever in the face of a defeat that their hateful and gross ideology will never be able to recover from, I am very much concerned with the lashing out we're going to see when the armed and radicalized children in the room realize the party is over.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Guys, let’s keep this thread from becoming it’s not about — because if we start arguing about political candidates we’re never coming back to the topic (at least not until after November, haha).

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Here's a question for the group: Should America change or reform the way it appoints judges?

A big part of the American government system is that there is supposed to be 3 co-equal but independent branches of Judicial, Executive, and Legislature. However, currently we have Republicans controlling both the Executive and Legislature, and they've used that power to influence the judicial branch with highly conservative judges. Senator Mitch McConnell used the Republican Majority in the Senate to hold open a Supreme Court seat, and changed the rules in the Senate to allow a confirmation through a simple majority, enabling him to give lifetime appointments to highly right wing judges. This isn't just Supreme Court though. McConnell held open vacancies for about 2 years at the end of Obama's second term, and President Trump has filled 50 lifetime-appointed judgeship's to the court of Appeals (President Obama did 49 in 8 years).

Republicans have basically stacked the courts. What this means is that even if Democrats somehow end up with a majority in the House and Senate, and control the Executive branch, the Republicans can rely on their judges to effectively strike down any law they don't like. We've already seen impacts on this on voting rights and gerrymandering, as well as consumer protection issues.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
What do you suggest be done?
First of all, this thread is about complaining and incessantly blaming America so you are asking the wrong question.

Second of all, every sensible person ought to oppose any racist and discriminatory policy that is any way, shape, or form sponsored by the government, but such proposition is insufficient for the far left who would love to implement draconian policies such as equality of outcome as well as massive restrictions on free speech and independent thinking, the latter of which is already evident through the ochlocratic emergence of cancel culture.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
First of all, this thread is about complaining and incessantly blaming America so you are asking the wrong question.

Second of all, every sensible person ought to oppose any racist and discriminatory policy that is any way, shape, or form sponsored by the government, but such proposition is insufficient for the far left who would love to implement draconian policies such as equality of outcome as well as massive restrictions on free speech and independent thinking, the latter of which is already evident through the ochlocratic emergence of cancel culture.
This idea that only the left engages in cancel culture is pretty insane. Both sides do the SAME exact shit, just for different reasons. The difference is the right always thinks, for some reason, that they are justified for doing it and the reasons the “left” has to “cancel” someone or a corporation/company or whatever is always some irrational reason.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This point keeps getting made, and keeps getting ignored.
The point has already been acknowledged, addressed, and identified as a false equivalency because most people on social media who engage in and promote cancel culture are neither conservative nor moderate. The fact that the overwhelming majority of signers of Harper's Letter included liberal scholars in an attempt to hold "their own" accountable proves this point.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME

By who specifically?
I have been asking you for almost a month to name names and point to actual enacters of these draconian policies. You gave me one woman and told me she speaks for everyone who embraces BLM because she's a Marxist. Stop it already.

This idea that only the left engages in cancel culture is pretty insane. Both sides do the SAME exact shit, just for different reasons. The difference is the right always thinks, for some reason, that they are justified for doing it and the reasons the “left” has to “cancel” someone or a corporation/company or whatever is always some irrational reason.
When the right does it, and it benefits the economy and the men with the money, it's politics.
When the Left does it, it's draconian radicalism and blaming America for everything.

This point keeps getting made, and keeps getting ignored.
I'm literally going to have to become an astounding MK11 player and get bodied in a lopsided anti-zoning MU in order for my logic to be valid at all at this point. Jesus McMerciful Christ.

The point has already been acknowledged, addressed, and identified as a false equivalency because most people on social media who engage in and promote cancel culture are neither conservative nor moderate. The fact that the overwhelming majority of signers of Harper's Letter included liberal scholars in an attempt to hold "their own" accountable proves this point.
HOW??? And how is saying that that ONE letter proves the entire point of a ongoing nationwide ever-growing debate not in itself a false equivalency?

ItsYaBoi

Noob
This, THIS, confirms you're trolling. Here is the conservative Fuhrer on social media:

December 2012: Trump calls for the firing of Vanity Fair magazine Editor Graydon Carter, with whom he had feuded for years, over what he declares the magazine's "worst ever issue."

December 2012: Trump says "Scots should boycott Glenfiddich garbage" because the whisky brand selected Michael Forbes, a farmer who refused to sell his land to make way for a Trump golf course, as "Top Scot" of the year.

March 2013: Trump says, "Everyone should cancel HBO until they fire low life dummy Bill Maher! Get going now and feel good about yourself!"

July 2013: Trump asks people to "boycott & cancel subscriptions" to Rolling Stone magazine because of a cover featuring Boston Marathon terrorist Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

October 2013: Trump urges "everybody possible" to "cancel their subscription" to New York Magazine over an insulting tweet about Trump's marriage from Dan Amira, who was online editor at the time.

March 2014: After Trump is left off a CNBC list of the most influential business leaders, he says, "Stupid poll should be canceled—no credibility."

May 2014: Trump calls for the firing of, or at least an apology from, the person at The Oklahoman newspaper who wrote a headline calling then-Oklahoma City Thunder NBA star Kevin Durant "Mr. Unreliable." (The newspaper had already apologized.)

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/07/politics/fact-check-trump-cancel-culture-boycotts-firings/index.html

Before you go "Lolololol CNN, LIBERAL!" they link to Agolf Twitlers tweets DIRECTLY. They are HIS WORDS. The brilliant thing is that this is only a small portion of that article. Also, remember the mass campaign on Twitter to cancel Nike? Jesus fucking Christ you're a lost cause.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Cancel Culture has roots that go all the way back to the Civil Rights era. Trying to using public boycotts to put pressure on public figures and hold them accountable has been a tactic both sides have used throughout the years. Defining "Cancel Culture" as instances on social media where left wing mobs shut down others is a crazily narrow definition and also begs the question a bit.