What's new

EVO 2024 Discussion and Reactions Thread

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
First of all, there is nothing wrong with certain fighting games favoring offensive characters or zoning characters.

Second of all, there is nothing wrong with Cage's f+3. He is designed to be a rush down character.

What is wrong is the fact that the last EVO for Mortal Kombat 11 was a mirror match while the first Final Kombat and first EVO for Mortal Kombat 1 was a mirror match as well.

Perhaps NRS and the Mortal Kombat 1 apologists should take note that removing archetypes and micromanaging characters has proven unsuccessful in the last four years or so.
Archetypes haven't been removed, no matter how many times you try to will it into existence by lying.

But, we've already had this conversation.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
The tournament was hype, except for the Johnny Mirror match but its okay. Some decent representation from lots of characters.

rifraf

Dojo Trainee
Pretty sure we all know full well how goated Sonicfox is
So you should know, by the looks of it SonicFox could've probably used any top character to win. I'm emphasizing this because it renders all this mirror match discussion kind of useless.

CanoCano

Kombatant
So you should know, by the looks of it SonicFox could've probably used any top character to win. I'm emphasizing this because it renders all this mirror match discussion kind of useless.
There was no one here doubting their skills, we're talking about how we would've prefered for there not to be a mirror match
There were still some intense and hype moments but at least imo it would've been more interesting if Sonicfox had gone with Sindel or Homelander or Omni-Man

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
SonicFox once again proving why he’s by FAR the best NRS player of all time. Congrats on yet another absolutely dominating performance. And congrats to all the other competitors as well.

Especially to my boy MKJavier. The fact that he’s able to take a low tier character like Scorpion and wreak havoc on the competitive scene so consistently speaks volumes to just how strong of a player he is. And he’s doing it in these massive major, super competitive tournaments like fckn EVO!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Scorp isn't low tier.. He's just mostly ignored in the US. Scorp is always in top 8 or winning in Europe.
Think I’ll trust the opinion of the greatest NRS player of all time and current EVO and Final Kombat champ of MK1 over someone who doesn’t even play the game competitively. ¯\(ツ)

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Think I’ll trust the opinion of the greatest NRS player of all time and current EVO and Final Kombat champ of MK1 over someone who doesn’t even play the game competitively. ¯\(ツ)
no trust is needed in anyone... as even pros are bias as fuck.. all you need to do is look at results. No one is making claims on them... they just exist... and scorp is a regular top 8 and final winner,

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
First of all, there is nothing wrong with certain fighting games favoring offensive characters or zoning characters.

Second of all, there is nothing wrong with Cage's f+3. He is designed to be a rush down character.

What is wrong is the fact that the last EVO for Mortal Kombat 11 was a mirror match while the first Final Kombat and first EVO for Mortal Kombat 1 was a mirror match as well.

Perhaps NRS and the Mortal Kombat 1 apologists should take note that removing archetypes and micromanaging characters has proven unsuccessful in the last four years or so.
I am here for this.

You know which finals are actually going to be loud as fuck? The ones for the games that had more than a couple of hundred people competing at the biggest fighting game tournament on this side of the planet.

It's MK11 all over again in how hard people are trying to keep their rose-tinted glasses on.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I am here for this.

You know which finals are actually going to be loud as fuck? The ones for the games that had more than a couple of hundred people competing at the biggest fighting game tournament on this side of the planet.

It's MK11 all over again in how hard people are trying to keep their rose-tinted glasses on.
There are multiple people who were actually in the room who said it was super loud, and you could hear the cheering for every whiff punish and combo through the stream.

Then there are people who weren’t there sitting at home trying to claim it wasn’t. The agenda is so clear.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
There was no one here doubting their skills, we're talking about how we would've prefered for there not to be a mirror match
There were still some intense and hype moments but at least imo it would've been more interesting if Sonicfox had gone with Sindel or Homelander or Omni-Man
This. This right here.

There is no disputing the ridiculous amount of talent and dedication it takes to be as good as Sonic and the rest of the Top 6 were/are.
This game is just boring as hell.

There are multiple people who were actually in the room who said it was super loud, and you could gear the cheering through the stream.

Then there are people who weren’t there sitting at home trying to claim it wasn’t. The agenda is so clear.
I never said I could account for the actual noise in the room.

I insinuated that it's going to sound like a fart in church compared to when T8 and SF6 are on the mainstage.

But yes...the "agenda" is clear.

:coffee:

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
This. This right here.

There is no disputing the ridiculous amount of talent and dedication it takes to be as good as Sonic and the rest of the Top 6 were/are.
This game is just boring as hell.

I never said I could account for the actual noise in the room.

I insinuated that it's going to sound like a fart in church compared to when T8 and SF6 are on the mainstage.

But yes...the "agenda" is clear.

:coffee:
I think comparing your scene to others is deeply insecure.

ImpostorOak

Kombatant
I think comparing your scene to others is deeply insecure.
It's so funny that you use the word insecure, your whole personality is insecurity. Please, make TYM toxic and full of circular arguments by being contrarian in the rudest(get the pun? It makes it fun and cute!) way possible with no real point or merit, but also don't get mad or report this comment when I let you know you're a transparent narcissistic idiot.

There are multiple people who were actually in the room who said it was super loud, and you could hear the cheering for every whiff punish and combo through the stream.

"Agenda." I'm gonna keep not responding when you reply to me, but you keep talking out of your ass. What's the agenda? What's the conspiracy my guy? You think all the people that find this game subpar have a secret plan to take down WB? The only agenda is to get our voices heard and to get a better MK. Laughable.

Aren't both of you I'm responding to in your 30s? Ffs.

I watched the finals, hype set between great players. Imagine how sick it would've been if the game was a bit deeper!

Edit: Don't know why the quote has Dave's name, should be @Rude or @Vulgar or whatever that troglodyte goes by.

Trini_Bwoi

Warrior
Mirror matches happen. SF4 was arguably the most popular SF of the modern generation and we had mirrors in finals all the time for that.
Mirror matches are cool but Johnny Cage is one of the most bland characters in the game, let alone every fighting game at Evo. I would love to see MK1 represented at grand finals by a General Shao throwing his axe down and going ham, or a Shang Tsung morphing between old and new, Reptile invisibility shenanigans, Li Mei lanterns, Quan Chi portal setups, Geras time mechanics up the asshole, or the plethora of cancel characters. Alas, everything exciting in the game pales in comparison to Cage who is a boring but fundamentally good character and everyone knows it. Hopefully the upcoming patch comes with some serious buffs (hell, I'd take Cage buffs as well) so all of the creative ideas NRS put into the game can actually shine.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
It's so funny that you use the word insecure, your whole personality is insecurity. Please, make TYM toxic and full of circular arguments by being contrarian in the rudest(get the pun? It makes it fun and cute!) way possible with no real point or merit, but also don't get mad or report this comment when I let you know you're a transparent narcissistic idiot.

"Agenda." I'm gonna keep not responding when you reply to me, but you keep talking out of your ass. What's the agenda? What's the conspiracy my guy? You think all the people that find this game subpar have a secret plan to take down WB? The only agenda is to get our voices heard and to get a better MK. Laughable.

Aren't both of you I'm responding to in your 30s? Ffs.

I watched the finals, hype set between great players. Imagine how sick it would've been if the game was a bit deeper!

Edit: Don't know why the quote has Dave's name, should be @Rude or @Vulgar or whatever that troglodyte goes by.
Are you hangry or something? Did I fuck your bitch?

Who the fuck even are you, weirdo?

Anyway, I hope whatever spawned your incoherent, rambling, rant gets fixed, my dude.

ImpostorOak

Kombatant
Are you hangry or something? Did I fuck your bitch?

Who the fuck even are you, weirdo?

Anyway, I hope whatever spawned your incoherent, rambling, rant gets fixed, my dude.
Lmao What childish responses to being called out for being a dorky online warrior. Gg, fucking scrub.
You being illiterate doesn't make me incoherent, but thanks. And you, you always being a dipshit to try to troll is what "spawned," this "rant."
You're an ass on purpose because you think it's funny. Gum on the world's shoe. Get bent and please, put me on your ignore list. No matter what internet folk have to say, your every response is like a child trying to "I know you are but what am I?"

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
Lmao What childish responses to being called out for being a dorky online warrior. Gg, fucking scrub.
You being illiterate doesn't make me incoherent, but thanks. And you, you always being a dipshit to try to troll is what "spawned," this "rant."
You're an ass on purpose because you think it's funny. Gum on the world's shoe. Get bent and please, put me on your ignore list. No matter what internet folk have to say, your every response is like a child trying to "I know you are but what am I?"
In all of this, I haven't seen a single argument here other than....you don't like what I post?

Okay, hit the block button. Otherwise, I'm not sure what this psychopathic and frankly kinda parasocial rant is supposed to achieve.

Bear in mind, I don't think I've talked about you once during this whole thread so...I honestly have no idea where this is coming from, but it's damned entertaining!

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
How do you not know who ImposterOak is? There's like two dozen regulars on this forum TOPS. Lulz

The game gets about as deep as Vulgar's Wife's BF without the use of Blue Chew.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
How do you not know who ImposterOak is? There's like two dozen regulars on this forum TOPS. Lulz

The game gets about as deep as Vulgar's Wife's BF without the use of Blue Chew.
Wait, you don't like MK1? Jeez, I never could have guessed! You've never talked about it before! Wow! Such insight!

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
It's trash breh, EVO was saved by Zeus, Javier, and The Chilean. Elsewise a couple more Homelanders would've snuck in I'm sure. Don't worry I'm prob done with the game come Tuesday leaving the forum at 23 posters (remember their names plz). I'm just waiting to see if my main got anything to make them a little more interesting than hitting b2 over and over again mindlessly to fish for 40 percent. This game is NOT DEEP. A patch can make it more fun in terms of the derp, but MORE neutral skip without consequence isn't my idea of a good time.

ImpostorOak

Kombatant
In all of this, I haven't seen a single argument here other than....you don't like what I post?

Okay, hit the block button. Otherwise, I'm not sure what this psychopathic and frankly kinda parasocial rant is supposed to achieve.

Bear in mind, I don't think I've talked about you once during this whole thread so...I honestly have no idea where this is coming from, but it's damned entertaining!
How do people like you exist? You don't get what I'm saying. Cool. How is that a burn on me? Seems like you're the one who is aloof, ya know, like a fool?

I'm on your ass like panties, I'm not blocking you. Here's the argument, comparing our scene to another is the way to measure it. That being insecure is nonsensical garbage, like 99% of shit you say. I want you to quit just spitting garbage and acting like you're the shit.

Big Donnie T energy, you come off like a sad little boy who's hiding behind a keyboard looking for places he can get a little ego high.

You're on here on a second account as well. 1st one get banned, or did Mommy take the laptop?