What's new

EVO 2024 Discussion and Reactions Thread

rifraf

Dojo Trainee
Raiden also kind of sucks now in contrast to how strong he used to be.
The problem with Raiden is his 1 dimensional kit though. We've been saying this since forever. Before the stormcell nerf, all he was doing was stormcell to kameo safe safety, rinse and repeat. These characters get nerfed for these specific kameo moves to keep doing the same boring, braindead things they do. If these moves weren't in the game, Peacemaker would be perfectly fine same as stormcell.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The problem with Raiden is his 1 dimensional kit though. We've been saying this since forever. Before the stormcell nerf, all he was doing was stormcell to kameo safe safety, rinse and repeat. These characters get nerfed for these specific kameo moves to keep doing the same boring, braindead things they do. If these moves weren't in the game, Peacemaker would be perfectly fine same as stormcell.
If the character has a boring and braindead design, the developers ought to rectify and redesign the character, which is what Capcom and Namco did with Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8, respectively. Some examples include E. Honda, Jun, and Victor.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Oh my goodness.. That's one of the crazier things I've seen in an EVO Finals

I remember when this happened at CEO for Injustice, but that was pools.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Eventhubs has also documented Mortal Kombat 1's top 32 character usage. Click here.

All of a sudden, there is no Peacemaker after Final Kombat.

I thought you fools said that the character was still very good. LOL.
No one said Peacemaker was good after the most recent patch where they balanced him, you're conflating two different patch cycles.

Also Raiden is still good and played in tournaments - mid tier isn't dead.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
No one said Peacemaker was good after the most recent patch where they balanced him, you're conflating two different patch cycles.

Dave just makes shit up.

It's funny that he's crying about nerfs when he and another top player campaigned for Paulo to lose his job and for MMH to be nerfed.

It's almost like he actually doesn't believe anything he says.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
If the character has a boring and braindead design, the developers ought to rectify and redesign the character, which is what Capcom and Namco did with Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8, respectively. Some examples include E. Honda, Jun, and Victor.
This I agree with, its no fun / bad balancing when a character loses tech or a way to play through nerfs and they become super one dimensional. We're seeing it happen to Kenshi now too, with them removing the ability to get sento out on block, though it seems the Goro buffs slipped through the cracks.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee

Dave just makes shit up.

It's funny that he's crying about nerfs when he and another top player campaigned for Paulo to lose his job and for MMH to be nerfed.

It's almost like he actually doesn't believe anything he says.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Dave just makes shit up.
People like you really need to start paying me for digging up your feces.

"Peacemaker will still be the game's best zoner, and will just have to think slightly more before throwing out a torpedo or popping the shield."

You, on the other hand, implied that I was somehow "salty" when I was merely stating that Peacemaker was over-nerfed.

Because you seem to have lots to say, the cordial offer remains.

If you have anything resembling testicles, bring a friend, even two, and come on the podcast to debate Tom and me.

Vulgar

Dojo Trainee
People like you really need to start paying me for digging up your feces.

"Peacemaker will still be the game's best zoner, and will just have to think slightly more before throwing out a torpedo or popping the shield."

You, on the other hand, implied that I was somehow "salty" when I was merely stating that Peacemaker was over-nerfed.

Because you seem to have lots to say, the cordial offer remains.

If you have anything resembling testicles, bring a friend, even two, and come on the podcast to debate Tom and me.
Link me the thread where I said that, would you?

Yeah, this is definitely the reply of a guy that is absolutely salty.

Attacks on my masculinity because I rightly called out that you don't actually care about anything you say or believe anything, as if I'm so insecure that I'm going to jump at the chance to prove myself to YOU - a guy that was z-tier famous once in 2012 that no one actually gives a fuck about - are pretty transparently pathetic.

Tom has even shallower beliefs than you. He's the same guy that scammed people for money, yelled at his kid for being loud because it was interrupting his game of Mortal Kombat X, and is constantly trying to rewrite history. The same guy that swears he'll never make another MK1 video again only to make another saying the exact same stuff over and over again is pure grift.

No one cares.

I'm not surprised that you're banned from the Tekken discord. Who else but TYM'ers would put up with you?

Trini_Bwoi

Warrior
Good tournament until it concluded with a Johnny mirror. I'm sick bruh. Nerfs in every patch, reduced health, and boring Johnny Cage still represents the best that MK1 has to offer.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Good tournament until it concluded with a Johnny mirror. I'm sick bruh. Nerfs in every patch, reduced health, and boring Johnny Cage still represents the best that MK1 has to offer.
The result of removing archetypes...

"Still the best zoning character" nowhere to be found...

:(

rifraf

Dojo Trainee
Be fair. We saw Scorpion V Homelander in EVO top 8. Yeah, I know not exactly the zoning characters old people like us might expect but the actual gameplay was undeniably about zoning.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
View attachment 21768

Tom Brady being wrong again. Many such cases!
He is trying so hard to write off any love we get for our competitive scene.

Anyway, this tournament was awesome. Great competition all the way through, some serious upsets, South America came and represented. It was fun to see the crowd going crazy with each part of the matches, and we didn't have to deal with any of the "Month 3 broken meta" that we ususually do.

Between Final Kombat and this, plus the upcoming patch, there's a lot of good momentum going for the competitive scene, and hopefully NRS will lean into this by upscaling everything for Pro Komp Season 2.

Zeeus surprised a lot of people, and Unjust has now claimed his spot among the top players we've had for our games. Happy for Dyloch to get his first EVO medal, as he's been one of our most exciting players since Sept.

Also big Props to Javier, getting an EVO Top 6 placement sticking with his main. We've heard so much about how only the top tiers could compete, and this dude walked in with Scorpion and gatekept one of the Chilean twins from the finals. And all before the new buffs. Dope weekend overall.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Lead Moderator

"Still the best zoning character" nowhere to be found...

:(
To be honest Cage would still dominate a good zoner in this game. The reality is he has

-the best movement in the game
-the best poke punish
-the best tools for adaptation

They do not provide these things to other characters, while I don't think every character should have a f3, they should have something that allows them to crush pokes and everyone's movement should be as snappy as Cage.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
To be honest Cage would still dominate a good zoner in this game. The reality is he has

-the best movement in the game
-the best poke punish
-the best tools for adaptation

They do not provide these things to other characters, while I don't think every character should have a f3, they should have something that allows them to crush pokes and everyone's movement should be as snappy as Cage.
First of all, there is nothing wrong with certain fighting games favoring offensive characters or zoning characters.

Second of all, there is nothing wrong with Cage's f+3. He is designed to be a rush down character.

What is wrong is the fact that the last EVO for Mortal Kombat 11 was a mirror match while the first Final Kombat and first EVO for Mortal Kombat 1 was a mirror match as well.

Perhaps NRS and the Mortal Kombat 1 apologists should take note that removing archetypes and micromanaging characters has proven unsuccessful in the last four years or so.