What's new

General/Other - Ethereal Ethereal Variation General Discussion

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Hey everyone I made this video, just like 10 mins after the newest patch, would love to talk ethereal tech I really like this variation it's so much fun
You can use a starter into roll > B34 xxair saixx > walk up a bit > B22, 1+3 to get over 30% meterless. 31 or 32% at the most without it. It's not hard at all actually. You just have to get the timing for B34 into air sai down while just walking & letting them drop to land B22, 1+3. It's very much like the timing of her 33% & 31% meterless NJP combos in Piercing.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I've tested F1 & F12 without Ex Fade & with the regular fade. The characters that I've tested this out on, their reversals were either blocked or they were whiffed. However, with F4, you cancel with Ex Fade & she's safe afterwards on block.

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
Was in training tonight so I figured I'd just record some of my fav Ethereal combos that I like to use, but that are also conservative with bar.

Ravenous is my main style, so it's nice to have a bit more freedom when it comes to putting together combos versus command grab set up combos. Ethereal has such a heavy dependence on bar though, so you have to be conservative.

I did include some universals at the start and end as well. EX air sai was basically to be flashy on the last one--an Empress has to be sometimes, ya know. ;)

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Anyone tried to optimize damage from EX DB4?
I'm assuming you mean EX Roll? Not yet but hopefully soon.

Came up with some decent one bar combos for Ethereal and didn't write them down. Now I've forgotten them (sigh) when I get time I will remember them and post them but most range from about 31-34% maybe slightly higher

GTDoffen

Meet your fate...
I'm assuming you mean EX Roll? Not yet but hopefully soon.

Came up with some decent one bar combos for Ethereal and didn't write them down. Now I've forgotten them (sigh) when I get time I will remember them and post them but most range from about 31-34% maybe slightly higher
Yes, thinking of EX Roll as a starter. Currently in Ethereal I am not getting nearly as much as I want. Only getting 23% on a consistent combo

Using Ex-Fade as a whiff punisher with roll is too good.
So much this. The new frames on vanish( 0 everything) really make ethereal now. It so gross how you can basically dodge things mid start-up that you shouldn't be able to avoid AND full combo punish. Ethereal is starting to look like my main variation, even over the new ravenous.

Last edited:

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Alright so funny story accidentally picked Ethereal for a match and well I'm loving it so noob questions inbound:

What are her non ex combos? Bit rusty not this variation but Im currently mucking around with F23 ~ Fade for the ender.

Ex Fade combos? No clue, videos are nice but it's easier for me to learn when given the inputs bluntly e.g. b1 ~ blah blah, sorry for the inconvenience

Coming from Ravenous, and cancelling moves into grabs, does cancelling moves into fade help with safety?

Final question before I lab it some more, EX Fade a good wakeup option?

Can't believe I've been sleeping on it, was my original variation too. So glad I accidentally stumbled across it though.

EDIT: Ok so I found Rider, good god that's a sick move, improvised some EX Fade combos only hitting around 29% though. Regardless It has begun fellow Ethereals.

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

Alright so funny story accidentally picked Ethereal for a match and well I'm loving it so noob questions inbound:

What are her non ex combos? Bit rusty not this variation but Im currently mucking around with F23 ~ Fade for the ender.

Ex Fade combos? No clue, videos are nice but it's easier for me to learn when given the inputs bluntly e.g. b1 ~ blah blah, sorry for the inconvenience

Coming from Ravenous, and cancelling moves into grabs, does cancelling moves into fade help with safety?

Final question before I lab it some more, EX Fade a good wakeup option?

Can't believe I've been sleeping on it, was my original variation too. So glad I accidentally stumbled across it though.
Only messed with it briefly since the patch as fighting an unwinnable matchup against real life but from what I noticed as well as remember pre patch:

The meterless combos will probably consist of starter, roll, b34 xx sai, ender: main enders will be B221+3 due to the advantage, knockdown and the ability to run in and pressure afterwards. 21U4 as usual and maybe F23 xx Fade to continue next to them. Unsure of the status of F14 xx Fade as an ender now (probably can only do this on roll, njp combo).

Ex Fade combos: some were posted recently by JDE, TakeAChance, and a few others (apologies for forgetting). Scrolling back a few pages in this thread and the combo thread will give some notations of new EX combos. From memory 21 xx Ex Fade F12B4 as a starter is one of the more damaging ones.

Cancelling moves into Fade helps, Most of her negative strings cancelled into Fade Away makes her safe. Also F4 is completely safe in this variation due to EX Fade.

EX Fade on wakeup is a good defensive option in my opinion as it seems invincible and cannot be hit out of. So its a good way to get out of pressure if you needed to.

I'm sure post-patch Ethereal mainers can give you some more advice or correct anything that I have said that might be wrong, but hopefully this sets you on your way again :)

Tyrlix

Noob
I was messing around in a lab because I have seen a lot of people using the B34~Air Sai after the roll. I'm more used to the B3~telekick extender.

Anyway. I ended up in the corner practising stuff. This may have been posted in here somewhere. But I think it was a great discovery (for me at least) to get on the par in damage with the Piercing.

From the lovely F343 starter:
F343~telekick~air sai, uppercut, roll, B22~roll, throw -42%

I can feel it in my guts that someone is going to say "But you are never going to pull the F343 against a skilled opponent"
One bar other versions:
F23~EX telekick~air sai, uppercut, roll, B22~roll, throw -37%
F12B4~EX telekick~air sai, uppercut, roll, B22~roll, throw -38%

The B22~roll, throw nets you roughly 3% more damage, but doesn't the frame advantage of 21U4 ender.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
The 4 Neutral EX Fade looks like Rain doing 4RH cancels lol.

I love Mileena but dear lord I wish she had low sai in Ethereal. I miss it in the neutral so much. Also, I wish her regular fades had SLIGHTLY less Startup. It's still hard to zip around with her, but dear lord EX fade is wonderful.

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
Agreed, I wish low sai was an option all across the board. It'd make her such a zoning power house in Ethereal. It'd honestly rival Pyromancer Tanya pre nerf in my opinion.

Low sai zone spacing, EX fade wake up and mixup, and regular fade safety options off block strings would be LEGIT!

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
After much debating and labing I have maid my decision and I am ready to join the ethereal master race.

TheGabStandard

This recent talk on option selects and seeing the Sub Zero video brought an idea came to my head but I'm not sure whether it's feasible or not. Would it be possible to do a string and if on hit Roll comes but if blocked Fade Away comes out instead?

Well this variation seems to do really well vs character that need to chase you and rushdown. Maybe it can help in the Cassie or Jax Matchups?