What's new

General/Other - Ethereal Ethereal Variation General Discussion

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Well this variation seems to do really well vs character that need to chase you and rushdown. Maybe it can help in the Cassie or Jax Matchups?
Ehh, I'd honestly say no.

I've tried the lame Ethereal vs Cassie, it works but once she's in which she will get in eventually that's the problem.

Ehh, I'd honestly say no.

I've tried the lame Ethereal vs Cassie, it works but once she's in which she will get in eventually that's the problem.
I find EX Fade to be amazing at escaping pressure though. But I can't say I've played top 8 level Cassies so who knows.

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
I find EX Fade to be amazing at escaping pressure though. But I can't say I've played top 8 level Cassies so who knows.
I havne't faced my friend after the patch but when I fight Cassie I need the damage and meter.

Perfect Ethereal play could make it work, but I don't think it makes the MUs easier, the player does.

Tyrlix

Noob
This recent talk on option selects and seeing the Sub Zero video brought an idea came to my head but I'm not sure whether it's feasible or not. Would it be possible to do a string and if on hit Roll comes but if blocked Fade Away comes out instead?
I just tested it out. You can Fade Towards and instantly release it. For normal Fade you need to hold down the button slightly or you will get hit. You also need to hold it even more if you go for the Fade Away. What I also noticed is that if you do for example the 123 string to ex fade ~ roll, it will beat SZ's reversal slide.

I also tested it on Kung Pow's Tornado. You can burn the meter and win the trade against reversal tornado with the 123~ex fade~roll. Needless to say but Fade Away can be released instantly.

Did some other strings/attacks that have time to fade after block.
B12 | ONLY WORKS FOR FADE AWAY |
F12
F14
F12B4 | ONLY WORKS FOR FADE AWAY |
(If you meter burn F12B4, Mileena will "block" the attack with Vanish and gives you enough + frames to punish with F343)

B22
F23

F34
B3

4U3
F4 | ONLY WORKS FOR FADE AWAY |

EDIT: Just to clarify that the strings / attacks were done against Kung Lao's normal / ex spin.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
I've been playing a fair bit of Ethereal Mileena lately and found two gliches. One of them isn't that big a deal, it's just odd, but the other is huge imo. I'm hoping by mentioning them here awareness can be raised, so a fix will come out in a later patch.

1) When you Fade behind someone the opponent can't turn around until you reappear. Like I said, this doesn't matter that much, but looks glitchy.

2) The reason for the above is that Mileena actually doesn't move until you release the button. Attacks whiff while she is in this vanish/faded state, but she can be thrown, either by a regular throw or a command throw. Obviously, this severely weakens the utility of delaying your teleports and seems to go completely against the spirit of the special, which is why I'm calling it a glitch.

Thoughts?

@YOMI RM SaltFace
@TakeAChance
@ExpiredTrapLord
And all other Mileena mains.

If this is old news, well, that sucks, lol.

Last edited:

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I've been playing a fair bit of Ethereal Mileena lately and found two gliches. One of them isn't that big a deal, it's just odd, but the other is huge imo. I'm hoping by mentioning them here awareness can be raised, so a fix will come out in a later patch.

1) When you Fade behind someone the opponent can't turn around until you reappear. Like I said, this doesn't matter that much, but looks glitchy.

2) The reason for the above is that Mileena actually doesn't move until you release the button. Attacks whiff while she is in this vanish/faded state, but she can be thrown, either by a regular throw or a command throw. Obviously, this severely weakens the utility of delaying your teleports and seems to go completely against the spirit of the special, which is why I'm calling it a glitch.

Thoughts?

@YOMI RM SaltFace
@TakeAChance
@ExpiredTrapLord

I've noticed this a while ago and I came to the same conclusion as you did in 2).

She doesn't teleport anywhere until you release the button, she just goes invisible. Sucks, but it's the way they programmed her.

Yeah this was known for a while. One of the things we've always talked about in Ethereal aside from possibly giving regular Fade a faster startup, is whether or not she should be throwable when hidden. With EX Fade you almost never have to worry about this since it's so quick, but regular Fade this is a problem. Also Ground pound moves will beat it as well.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion

Thoughts?

@YOMI RM SaltFace
@TakeAChance
@ExpiredTrapLord

I get so salty when I'm thrown out of fade so I typically don't hold it. The same thing happens to ermac in Mos you just never see it cause he's always in the air. I guess it was supposed to stop timer scams but I've never been close to a timeout.

Jeffrey Wolf

Didn't know that about the ground pound or Ermac. Thanks!

The Mileena community is really helpful. Hope to rep you all well at the next GGA weekly.

Baconlord

Let's be serious here. Ethereal needs 1 buff that I think everyone can agree with. They need to change the requirements for her b221+3 brutality. I mean who here can successfully perform 10 fade aways in a match. She needs it.

Let's be serious here. Ethereal needs 1 buff that I think everyone can agree with. They need to change the requirements for her b221+3 brutality. I mean who here can successfully perform 10 fade aways in a match. She needs it.
Lol, well they should buff the Brutality itself first. It's easily the lamest one she has.... Have her stab them in the face afterwards or something.

And it's not THAT hard to do 10 Fade aways in a match. Every knockdown should give you at least 1 or 2 depending on their wakeup.

Jeffrey Wolf

Plus you can hit and run with Fade off of most of her good strings. That brutality is totally lame though. What does it have to do with Ethereal? It's like Reptile's one in Deceptive. Come on NRS...

The slow-mo is always cool though =)

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
Alright so, what are good and simple combos with ethereal that do damage

My biggest combo is literally f+1,2b+4, roll, njp, b+22throw

Baconlord

Alright so, what are good and simple combos with ethereal that do damage

My biggest combo is literally f+1,2b+4, roll, njp, b+22throw
Starter roll b34 Sai run b221+3. This is my bnb that I can land 10/10. Starter roll j4 tk sai run b221+3. A more damaging but harder combo.

Highest damage stuff? I'm maxing 38 off the overhead meterless 31 off the low mid screen. For a bar I'm getting 40 with the over head starter and 35 with the low string starter. In the corner 43 meterless off the overhead 35 off the low string. 45 for a bar off the over head 40 for a bar off the low in the corner.

Last edited:

Jolt

Uprise
Ayyyyyy, we got that BRUTALITY BUFF! Haha, Fun Ride brutality only needs 5 Fade Aways to execute now. Any idea if we had to connect 5 ball rolls to take the legs before? I can't remember, maybe connecting 5 ball rolls is just basically guaranteed in a match