What's new

General/Other - Ethereal Ethereal Variation General Discussion

Ayyyyyy, we got that BRUTALITY BUFF! Haha, Fun Ride brutality only needs 5 Fade Aways to execute now. Any idea if we had to connect 5 ball rolls to take the legs before? I can't remember, maybe connecting 5 ball rolls is just basically guaranteed in a match
Yeah you always needed 5 rolls. So basically just win the match...

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So I am just theorycrafting here at work, but if she no longer has a gap in 21u4 (can I get a confirm on that), can someone tell me if it's because her 21 got more frame advantage, or is it because her U4 comes quicker? If so this will be huge for Ethereal as it will give her more advantage off an ex fade.

Reactions: GQJ

ForeverStrange

Silent_pro13
So I am just theorycrafting here at work, but if she no longer has a gap in 21u4 (can I get a confirm on that), can someone tell me if it's because her 21 got more frame advantage, or is it because her U4 comes quicker? If so this will be huge for Ethereal as it will give her more advantage off an ex fade.
No there is still a gap

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
Hi All

I play Piercing but thought I would give Ethereal a go though I am very confused by the game plan. I am having a hard time giving up the damage and the low projectile for a teleport. I have never really played a teleport heavy character apart from Raiden but his game plan is simple - get people in to a corner and do 50% + damage. Superman is a crazy tool to do this, but Mileena has comparatively limited options.

Can anyone give me the basics of what I should be doing? Are there any decent Ethereal guides out there?

Also, are there any specific characters that would be good to practice against to learn the basics of how to use her effectively?

ExpiredCodes

The Yankees blew a 3-0 lead in the 2004 ALCS.
Hi All

I play Piercing but thought I would give Ethereal a go though I am very confused by the game plan. I am having a hard time giving up the damage and the low projectile for a teleport. I have never really played a teleport heavy character apart from Raiden but his game plan is simple - get people in to a corner and do 50% + damage. Superman is a crazy tool to do this, but Mileena has comparatively limited options.

Can anyone give me the basics of what I should be doing? Are there any decent Ethereal guides out there?

Also, are there any specific characters that would be good to practice against to learn the basics of how to use her effectively?
http://testyourmight.com/threads/takeachances-all-in-one-ethereal-guide-updated-with-yomi-saltfaces-summer-jam-matches-9-2-2015.54839/

Goatness

Noob
What's the most damage Ethereal can get off EX Roll? I know how to optimize Ravenous and Piercing after EX Roll, but I need some help with Ethereal. Specifically combos after EX Roll (wake up, armor through buttons etc)

Off a regular roll I do Ji4, TK, Air Sai, B22xxSai midscreen typically for meter build and damage. I can't seem to catch them with the B22 off of EX Roll, even when run canceling. Could be a skill issue, but it seems damn hard hah.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
What's the most damage Ethereal can get off EX Roll? I know how to optimize Ravenous and Piercing after EX Roll, but I need some help with Ethereal. Specifically combos after EX Roll (wake up, armor through buttons etc)

Off a regular roll I do Ji4, TK, Air Sai, B22xxSai midscreen typically for meter build and damage. I can't seem to catch them with the B22 off of EX Roll, even when run canceling. Could be a skill issue, but it seems damn hard hah.
I typically do ex roll b34, air sai, run, b22 roll/sai. If you want a better setup do ex roll, njp, u3. U3 puts you at the perfect range for a f4 ex fade or a ex roll.

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
Hey guys I'm trying to pick up ethereal but can someone explain this shit to me as to why this registers or what I'm pressing wrong.

Hey guys I'm trying to pick up ethereal but can someone explain this shit to me as to why this registers or what I'm pressing wrong.
You're somehow pressing 3,4, and block so fast that the game is registering them at the same time. 3+4+block will give you X-Ray.
Do you have Release Check turned on?

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
No I don't but I have input short cuts on and I just tested it and you're right I slowed down the input a bit and it registers the ex roll but any slightly more speed and it's back to Xray I must be a button pressing god thanks for the help!

Jolt

Uprise
I've started trying to incorporate d4~fade away into my game plan (mostly with success so far), so I decided to take it into the lab and see just how safe (or unsafe) it actually is.

I've noticed that Cassie's flipkick doesn't ALWAYS punish it when the AI is set to reversal. Anyone have ideas as to why not?

I'd say a solid 95% of the time, flipkick interrupts the fade, but then the other 5% it just whiffs and Mileena gets away free.

I've checked to see if it was a spacing thing (Mileena being at the FULLEST range of d4) but that doesn't seem to be it. In fact, I'm MORE likely to get interrupted when I am CLOSER to Cassie instead of further away.

I'm thinking it could possibly be some strange low profile with the hitbox, but like I said it is FAR from consistent.

I've also had it happen BOTH midscreen and in the corner, so I don't think it's just Cassie being out of range to punish.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I've started trying to incorporate d4~fade away into my game plan (mostly with success so far), so I decided to take it into the lab and see just how safe (or unsafe) it actually is.

I've noticed that Cassie's flipkick doesn't ALWAYS punish it when the AI is set to reversal. Anyone have ideas as to why not?

I'd say a solid 95% of the time, flipkick interrupts the fade, but then the other 5% it just whiffs and Mileena gets away free.

I've checked to see if it was a spacing thing (Mileena being at the FULLEST range of d4) but that doesn't seem to be it. In fact, I'm MORE likely to get interrupted when I am CLOSER to Cassie instead of further away.

I'm thinking it could possibly be some strange low profile with the hitbox, but like I said it is FAR from consistent.

I've also had it happen BOTH midscreen and in the corner, so I don't think it's just Cassie being out of range to punish.
stance specific maybe?

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
ethereal users, i wanna ask what combo strings can be linked with EX Fade? i'm not familiar with this variant too well. so far i've found that F4,Ex Fade,123.....123,Ex Fade,123 are able to link together. is there anything else?

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
ethereal users, i wanna ask what combo strings can be linked with EX Fade? i'm not familiar with this variant too well. so far i've found that F4,Ex Fade,123.....123,Ex Fade,123 are able to link together. is there anything else?
All the strings that link from EX Fade are detailed in Take A Chance's guide on Ethereal so that should be able to help you out. It's under the heading Ex Fades Hit Advantage and follow up Normals

hey guys here's a setup I found a while ago, I hope this helps.
I don't get the point of the meaty tele-kicks why risk being more unsafe than she already is for what? The most she gets off of it, if it connects, is frame advantage, a 50/50 with meter. It's full combo punishable with optimal combo starters. You're safe before the tele-kick, why make it unsafe? The meaty knee is cool though I might try that out. On block it's safe and on hit it launches and can be comboed. Nice.

P.S. What is everyone maxing out on, off the overhead starter in the corner? I'm getting about 46 now for a bar in the corner.

Jolt

Uprise
I don't get the point of the meaty tele-kicks why risk being more unsafe than she already is for what? The most she gets off of it, if it connects, is frame advantage, a 50/50 with meter. It's full combo punishable with optimal combo starters. You're safe before the tele-kick, why make it unsafe? The meaty knee is cool though I might try that out. On block it's safe and on hit it launches and can be comboed. Nice.
I 100% agree there. The meaty knee is pretty genius IMO, but the teleport kick is too much risk for not enough reward. Only time I'd even CONSIDER that one is if I KNOW someone's going to try to press a button, but I'd say that's a VERY hard read. Wit that said, thanks for sharing @MILE_HIGH_CLUB . I'm definitely looking forward to using the knee