What's new

Emperor Jupiter Wins Injustice: Gods Among Us at East Coast Throwdown 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Yeah. But then why is SCR a major when it's literally called SoCal Regionals? (I'm not saying it't not btw, I'm only trying to make a point). Like, you would call a tournament a "ridiculously stacked major" when it's basically the same situation as ECT.
SCR had representatives from pretty much every region, Chicago, Ohio, East Coast, Atlanta and Canada as well as the obvious west coast. ECT didn't attract as much.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
SCR had representatives from pretty much every region, Chicago, Ohio, East Coast, Atlanta and Canada as well as the obvious west coast. ECT didn't attract as much.
So Chris G (who's now WC), 2 players from Atlanta, Canada, and a couple scattered?

So pretty much the same situation as ECT?

Now that I think about it we almost had 3 countries represented lol. But UFG disappeared after Friday night

Last edited:

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Also I don't think a lot of you realize how good Jupiter actually is. MMH isn't the problem, the problem is that we have a really good player playing a character near his best potential. I lost to Jupiter for example because I messed up and got outplayed. He's extremely good and has been training hard for months to reach this level.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
So Chris G, 2 players from Atlanta, Canada, and a couple scattered?

So pretty much the same situation as ECT?
Tbh I was just trying to state why most people will argue it's not a major. I personally wouldn't care if people say it's a major or regional, the way I see it is it was a really stacked tournament with lots of extremely talented players and anyone who did well should be really proud. I would be if I had and I wouldn't care how people categorized it.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Tbh I was just trying to state why most people will argue it's not a major. I personally wouldn't care if people say it's a major or regional, the way I see it is it was a really stacked tournament with lots of extremely talented players and anyone who did well should be really proud. I would be if I had and I wouldn't care how people categorized it.
Yeah, I know, it's just that ECT is historically considered a major and got good representation, so calling it a regional and comparing it to Apex/CW/DTN just comes off like you're putting down the competition.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Yeah, I know, it's just that ECT is historically considered a major and got good representation, so calling it a regional and comparing it to Apex/CW/DTN just comes off like you're putting down the competition.
Fair enough, completely understand. Didn't mean to put down the competition, I watched every minute of stream time this tournament got so I know exactly how high the level of competition was. I don't think anyone would say this tournament would have been easy to place in. Then again, I may be underestimating one person...

I$AAC

Noob
Congrats to Jupiter for winning, and good job to revolver, fox, gamer lake and the rest of the RM crew

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
  • congrats to Jupitor for being an awesome amazing player
  • congfats to Sonic for being patient and getting second
  • congrats to revolver with the best sex luther
  • happy birthday arma and your batman is my favorite

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Was SCR a major though? Because obviously a vast majority of them were from the West Coast.

I love watching MMH as well
Yeah. But then why is SCR a major when it's literally called SoCal Regionals? (I'm not saying it't not btw, I'm only trying to make a point). Like, you would call a tournament a "ridiculously stacked major" when it's basically the same situation as ECT.
The difference is the distance between NorCal and SoCal is 4 East Coast States. Also, Florida, Chicago, Georgia, Arizona, Vegas, Tennessee, Ohio...I think you get the point.

Yeah, KIT was ridiculously stacked. I don't care if you think it's a Regional because it doesn't matter. Great players attended every tournament. This shouldn't even be an issue.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Congratulations to Jupiter on the well-balanced victory using a well-balanced character and various well-balanced tactics and strategies.
Man it's getting annoying. 1000% guarantee that even after giving you a month to practice with Martian you'd still not do well in tourney. Jupiter is very good

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
The difference is the distance between NorCal and SoCal is 4 East Coast States. Also, Florida, Chicago, Georgia, Arizona, Vegas, Tennessee, Ohio...I think you get the point.

Yeah, KIT was ridiculously stacked. I don't care if you think it's a Regional because it doesn't matter. Great players attended every tournament. This shouldn't even be an issue.
if WB was a major than so was ECT. tbh i don't care, we had more entrants than a lot of people thought we were going to get, i believe almost 80, and there was a lot of hype and meme's that were created from this event, EC has some many tournaments its easy to go ahead and say one isn't a major because the rest of the US didn't travel because they are tired (or broke) of coming to the east coast for tournaments. i wish more places in the US had as many tournaments as northeast did so we wouldn't have this argument.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Regional does not mean the players suck.
Regional does not mean it's a bad tournament.
Regional does not mean an easy win.

Regional means the tournament attracts a specific region of competitors. This region happens to be the NorthEast coast. NorthEast coast produced good numbers. Saltface and Blake came from Atlanta. HoneyBee and Biohazard came from Canada. We get it. Regional is not a bad word. A Major encompasses a large amount of competitors from various regions. It is also subjective to the game. 200 entrants for Street Fighter does not make it a Skullgirls Major.
You cannot operationally define what a 'regional' is versus a 'major' in a way that people agree. Although I tend to agree with what you listed, you should just let an event be whatever the people who go to it want it to be. It really doesn't matter in the end of the day.
Claiming it be a regional is also hurtful to the T.Os trying to promote their event. If we are not careful then the only 'majors' we will have are MLG and EVO. Why travel to a regional?

Historically, the amount of regions that attend has has little to do with what makes it a major. These definitions have been a fairly recent development. It has most always just been 1) Is it advertised as a major? and 2) Do a lot of people show up regardless of region? That is it. Regional and Major are mostly synonymous, but the term is implicitly laden with inferiority, which is why people will take offense to your usage (no matter that you think a regional shouldn't be a negative term). It is a hierarchal term where local < regional < major. Thus, many people consider it downplaying.

That is all I was saying before. Obviously people care, and if you do not think a regional is any worse than a major then why go out of your way to call Jupiter's wins at CW and ECT regionals? It promotes the discourse you wanted to avoid. (And I tried to help you avoid). Just let people think what they think. When you try to define it you will just get silly arguments about semantics that are laden with subjectivity....

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
You cannot operationally define what a 'regional' is versus a 'major' in a way that people agree. Although I tend to agree with what you listed, you should just let an event be whatever the people who go to it want it to be. It really doesn't matter in the end of the day.
Claiming it be a regional is also hurtful to the T.Os trying to promote their event. If we are not careful then the only 'majors' we will have are MLG and EVO. Why travel to a regional?

Historically, the amount of regions that attend has has little to do with what makes it a major. These definitions have been a fairly recent development. It has most always just been 1) Is it advertised as a major? and 2) Do a lot of people show up regardless of region? That is it. Regional and Major are mostly synonymous, but the term is implicitly laden with inferiority, which is why people will take offense to your usage (no matter that you think a regional shouldn't be a negative term). It is a hierarchal term where local < regional < major. Thus, many people consider it downplaying.

That is all I was saying before. Obviously people care, and if you do not think a regional is any worse than a major then why go out of your way to call Jupiter's wins at CW and ECT regionals? It promotes the discourse you wanted to avoid. (And I tried to help you avoid). Just let people think what they think. When you try to define it you will just get silly arguments about semantics that are laden with subjectivity....
Ok

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
What's a major or a regional to this community has become a joke lol. Downplaying accomplishments has become the new trend in this community. I personally don't care, Jupiter will continue to succeed because he is a great player. Congrats to all top 8, well deserved!

Status
Not open for further replies.