What's new

Elden Ring (DLC Announced!)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Im gonna start as a prophet and you can't stop me.
After theory crafting since all the starting classes were made available, I believe my most optimal starting class for my 1st playthrough and the build I want to make will be Samurai. Yeah, perhaps it’ll be a popular starting class, considering it looks cool and you start with a Katana AND a short bow, but idc. Those definitely are great plusses, but the main reason aside from the weapons & armor is of course the stats. Probably going more of a “quality build” route, aka equal STR & DEX for my first playthrough so I can test out way more weapons than me being limited to STR weapons like I typically am on first playthroughs of Soulsborne games.

And knowing certain things about how far the “+” goes on weapons in this game, plus the re-addition of the power stance from DS2, I feel like there’s gonna be a lot of variety and viable options for weapons in Elden Ring.

Yeah, perhaps it’ll be a popular starting class
My man just forget that stuff and enjoy the fantasy lol, Samurai will be sick. Your entire reason could be "kitaner" and that's good enough.
Plus it's just the starting point in a brand new game, caution to the wind I say.

Quality builds are probably the most convenient way to experiment with weapons so I'd say that's a smart path, but it's not like you can really waste points yet either.
I'm goin for some mix of Faith/Dex/Arcane Witch Hunter/Bloodborne style character.

Arcane is 100% not going to be a dump stat like Luck was in the past. They have an entire starting class based on it and the class' description notes that it relies on sneak crits and parries. I guarantee you Arcane is going to do something to increase the damage multiplier on backstabs and parries. That, and whatever "Affects certain spells" it does.
Yeah I think they were goin for D&D thief stuff with using magical trinkets and augmenting bleeds etc. I think if anything will affect the crit multiplier it will be jewelry again, especially since I hear their scope of effects has broadened massively.
Increased item discovery synergizes with the portable crafting kit, which will validate a lot of playstyles that just weren't that fun or encouraged in the past.

I suspect the certain spells Arcane affects will probably be along the lines of spells and weapons that scale with it, or Ashes of War that scale with it. We'll see tomorrowish :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
My man just forget that stuff and enjoy the fantasy lol, Samurai will be sick. Your entire reason could be "kitaner" and that's good enough.
Plus it's just the starting point in a brand new game, caution to the wind I say.

Quality builds are probably the most convenient way to experiment with weapons so I'd say that's a smart path, but it's not like you can really waste points yet either.
I'm goin for some mix of Faith/Dex/Arcane Witch Hunter/Bloodborne style character.

Yeah I think they were goin for D&D thief stuff with using magical trinkets and augmenting bleeds etc. I think if anything will affect the crit multiplier it will be jewelry again, especially since I hear their scope of effects has broadened massively.
Increased item discovery synergizes with the portable crafting kit, which will validate a lot of playstyles that just weren't that fun or encouraged in the past.

I suspect the certain spells Arcane affects will probably be along the lines of spells and weapons that scale with it, or Ashes of War that scale with it. We'll see tomorrowish :)
That’s why I said “but idc”, lol. But eah I’m certainly not too worried about min/maxing on a first playthrough build. But I still want it to be viable for PvP since I’ll be using the item that allows you to be invaded solo as soon as I get it. And if it’s similar to the dried finger where you have to keep using it, then I’ll do just that. Tbh the fact that you can’t invade/be invaded solo unless you use an item is kinda weird for a Miyazaki Souls-like game, wish it was flipped and you had to to use an item to NOT be invaded solo, but it is what it is.

Also, as I have said, the usual community consensus as far as a PvP level cap is typically SL120, so I probably will stay around there for awhile. But considering certain things, the PvP level cap might be a bit higher in Elden Ring, but only time will tell. Regardless, I like the level cap anyway for the same reasons it exists for PvP. I like the idea of having to actually have “builds”, and not just 1 character that can literally do everything and is level 700+.

Anyway, going to start severely limiting looking at social media and even TYM for awhile. I have a ton of Elden Ring words muted on twitter already, and even then still not gonna be on there a lot. Not taking any chances. I want to go into this game as blind as possible. I don’t want to know hardly anything, want to figure it all out on my own. Yes I’ll undoubtedly miss a bunch of stuff on my first playthrough, but that’s just par for the course for a Soulsborne game!

That’s why I said “but idc”, lol
I too go out of my way to point out things that I don't actually care about, haha.
Just teasin though.

But eah I’m certainly not too worried about min/maxing on a first playthrough build. But I still want it to be viable for PvP since I’ll be using the item that allows you to be invaded solo as soon as I get it. And if it’s similar to the dried finger where you have to keep using it, then I’ll do just that.
I'm confident your build will be more than viable for pvp. This is the golden discovery period, after all. Gonna be wild lol.
Plus respec exists and Samurai looks like a solid foundation for whatever really.

Tbh the fact that you can’t invade/be invaded solo unless you use an item is kinda weird for a Miyazaki Souls-like game, wish it was flipped and you had to to use an item to NOT be invaded solo, but it is what it is.
It's because the horse isn't allowed in multiplayer, so if invasions were the default you'd be getting booted off your mount constantly and that sounds dreadful without opting in first. Although I'm sure if they were able to get mounts working in mp then things might have been different, hard to say.

Anyway, going to start severely limiting looking at social media and even TYM for awhile. I have a ton of Elden Ring words muted on twitter already, and even then still not gonna be on there a lot. Not taking any chances. I want to go into this game as blind as possible. I don’t want to know hardly anything, want to figure it all out on my own. Yes I’ll undoubtedly miss a bunch of stuff on my first playthrough, but that’s just par for the course for a Soulsborne game!
If you browse with Chrome you can use Spoiler Protection 2.0 and it'll block your chosen key words and images on every website you visit. Can also click through the censors if you actually do wanna see what's behind something. Pretty handy.

That said I am also just gonna disappear too, since we'll all be busy playing lol.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
And knowing certain things about how far the “+” goes on weapons in this game, plus the re-addition of the power stance from DS2, I feel like there’s gonna be a lot of variety and viable options for weapons in Elden Ring.
I don't know anything about the game, i've been actively avoiding all trailers and videos about it cuz i want the day 1 experience. That's why i'll start as prophet cuz my FAITH will carry me through. Imma be praying and blessing and summoning all up in this bitch.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I too go out of my way to point out things that I don't actually care about, haha.
Just teasin though.
I didn’t “go out of my way”, I mentioned it in passing in my post. Literally dedicated only one sentence (barely) to even referencing it. Ya gotta just hold the L on this one, lol.

It's because the horse isn't allowed in multiplayer, so if invasions were the default you'd be getting booted off your mount constantly and that sounds dreadful without opting in first. Although I'm sure if they were able to get mounts working in mp then things might have been different, hard to say.
Interesting, honestly that’s not great design. I definitely wouldn’t like horses to be available to be used in PvP, but even if you “opt in”, the same thing will be happening where it kicks you off the horse anyway. I don’t think that’s a good enough reason for it not to be the other way around, just my opinion tho ¯\(ツ)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Off work, going internet dark since PC peeps are getting the game early for some reason. Anyway, see ya guys on the other side!

Espio

Kokomo
Gonna start it in a few! I'm probably going to spend the first three hours in the CC tho.
Let me know how you like it!

My copy is not arriving in the mail until tomorrow, but it's gonna be a great Friday. Also the amount of people already streaming Elden Ring is actually nuts!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Officially going social media & essentially internet dark for at least a few days starting now, which of course includes TYM (kinda includes TYM I mean). Even though I’m confident I can avoid spoilers on here, I don’t want to take any chances + I want to relax my mind before midnight. With that said, TYM IS the only place I will visit this weekend occasionally for this thread specifically. Just to make sure no one is breaking any of the rules, especially the spoiler one. And just to reiterate, if you want to discuss anything about the game that is even the TINIEST bit of a spoiler (this could be pretty much anything honestly), make sure you use the spoiler tags! If you post spoilers out in the open, you WILL receive an infraction, the post(s) will be deleted, and I probably will ban you from this thread. So please, just don’t do it, thanks.

Anyway, good luck and have fun everyone! May the odds be ever in your favor!

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
No, it's only showing controller controls so I'm using an xbox 360 controller. It's like it keeps trying to reset the camera or something.
Hmm thats not cool, I haven't fired it up yet. Maybe might have to turn off steam controller support or whatever that is called.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Not feeling the game? Is this your first soulsbourne game?
Nah, I've played them before. So far it just feels like an arpg from 2009. Hoping I can get into it but so far I severely dislike it. It could just be a bad pc port and console players might have a better experience.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Nah, I've played them before. So far it just feels like an arpg from 2009. Hoping I can get into it but so far I severely dislike it. It could just be a bad pc port and console players might have a better experience.
Interesting, souls games for me start slow and takes me a bit to get into them. I hope that is still the case for this one.

Are you having other issues with the pc version besides the controller stuff?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Interesting, souls games for me start slow and takes me a bit to get into them. I hope that is still the case for this one.

Are you having other issues with the pc version besides the controller stuff?
A few issues but I'll keep messing with it. I've been depressed and worried all day for my Russian and Ukrainian friends, so I had some drinks before playing and just in a funk. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and can give it another chance.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I played for 4 hours. It's freaking amazing. It feels very close to DS3 combat wise so all you veterans won't feel lost. I really don't want to go to bed but I should sleep lmao. And it looks incredible too, getting a few frame drops here and there but I'm sure they'll fix that. Blind playthroughs really are the best, there's so much to find and discover. I'm in love.

look around there are lots of waifus to be found

Don't worry, nobody on pc is able to progress cuz the game runs like cancer.
You playing on a potato friend?

No, it's only showing controller controls so I'm using an xbox 360 controller. It's like it keeps trying to reset the camera or something.
That's weird, I'm using an Xbox controller too and I don't have any issue.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Don't worry, nobody on pc is able to progress cuz the game runs like cancer.
I have heard people are having probs but game runs good so far maybe a 1 frame drop every now and then but no micro stutters like a lot of people are complaining about.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
If you're having issues on PC here's a possible fix: frame drop fix

I'll try it out and go back in the starting area where I did get some frame drops and I'll let y'all know if it works.