What's new

Elden Ring (DLC Announced!)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ah, gotcha. Yeah for sure, and they recently slightly buffed the blessings as well. Actually it was a very smart way to slightly nerf the difficulty, as so many have been complaining that the DLC is too hard (which is absolutely wild to me. Not that I disagree that the DLC is hard, it absolutely is. It’s just wild that so many people are complaining about the difficulty in a FromSoft game. Like, it’s honestly worse than those who were complaining about how difficult Sekiro was and were asking for an easy mode/difficulty settings). Since the blessings are optional, you essentially can alter the difficulty to your liking, to an extent of course. Even if you have max blessings (which I believe is +20? Not sure, I just recently got to +5 Sunday), from what I’ve heard it’s still fairly difficult, which makes me happy.
It definitely stays tough, even with summons at least compared to the base game. This DLC with mimic tear is harder than Dark Souls 1 no NPC summons, the bosses do a better job of keeping agro on you compared to main game bosses too, but maybe that’s just me.

And correct me if I’m wrong but I think the way they buffed scadutree blessings is very smart, because they give you a bigger boost in the early blessing levels but end up around the same place. As in the early areas were more punishing than they intended, but mid and end game were about what they were looking for.
Still on the topic of "strong enemy you can beat later", I think the Evergaol Crucible Knight (near stormveil) is arguably an even better example than tree sentinel. You absolutely can beat him before Godrick, but you will struggle hard. After Godrick (and probably after getting that blood slash ash of war) you can take him down easily.
Yes, that’s a perfect example. Happens all the time really, like oh is the capital hard? Check out mount gelmir. Or siofra river if going west into caelid is too much. Really cool game design.

And as much as I praise Sekiro, the early game there still bugs me, I don’t really think the game shows you what it’s truly about until Genichiro, where Elden Ring can always be approached from that mindset.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
And correct me if I’m wrong but I think the way they buffed scadutree blessings is very smart, because they give you a bigger boost in the early blessing levels but end up around the same place. As in the early areas were more punishing than they intended, but mid and end game were about what they were looking for.
Yup as far as I understand that’s what they changed. Which, I still don’t like the fact that they did it, but at the same time, glad they did it this way instead of nerfing the actual bosses and enemies like they did in the first month of the games release with Radahn.

Palm Blast is soooo satisfying to land.
Trying to not play too far into the dlc while waiting for friends is hard when such a cool weapon art is there.

And on the note of busted weapon arts, I wonder how long until Rolling Sparks gets murdered..

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yup as far as I understand that’s what they changed. Which, I still don’t like the fact that they did it, but at the same time, glad they did it this way instead of nerfing the actual bosses and enemies like they did in the first month of the games release with Radahn.
I like this change too, because it’s in your hands how hard it is.

Messmer (it’s not a spoiler to say we fight him, right?) could be a ball busting fight or pretty balanced depending on how many blessings you have at that point, because he will always give you what he has, you’ll just be strong or weak relative to him.

Better than actually changing him like Radahn who is weaker than he was regardless of level. I do understand that Radahn being harder than Astel was weird considering he had to be dealt with first, in a mid game level quest, but regardless.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If this is about
Hippo
then I agree completely.
Yes it was, what a horrid fight, I hate when they do tiny arenas with enemies like that.
Multiple offenders really. Dancing Lion, Messmer and Bayle all having bugged out moments

As dumb as that fight was at least it was easy. Reminds me of the stupid bull in Sekiro. Waste of time.
I hated the first bull in Sekiro but liked the second. The bull and chained ogre are bad early game mini bosses because players need to learn to defend on deflects. But taking fire damage while deflecting the first bull even though it is really easy to just sucks.

I think it's part of the intent for the room to feel a bit cramped while you're ambushed by this thing, but the anchor point for targeting being placed behind its head instead of inside the head or mouth makes the room feel a lot smaller while we struggle to keep it on screen rather than clipping inside our camera constantly.

Right now the boss' mechanics are secondary to just staying oriented, which makes this fight feel way under cooked. Pretty simple solution to it if they could just move the lock on point forward. Doesn't seem worth it to try this fight unlocked. Just spirit ash and move on.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think it's part of the intent for the room to feel a bit cramped while you're ambushed by this thing, but the anchor point for targeting being placed behind its head instead of inside the head or mouth makes the room feel a lot smaller while we struggle to keep it on screen rather than clipping inside our camera constantly.

Right now the boss' mechanics are secondary to just staying oriented, which makes this fight feel way under cooked. Pretty simple solution to it if they could just move the lock on point forward. Doesn't seem worth it to try this fight unlocked. Just spirit ash and move on.
It’s a required fight too lol, like they thought that needed to be there on the main path. I dont like dying to moves I can’t see lol