What's new

Easiest / Most Difficult Characters to Learn

ExoticAbuse

★Two Hands★
I think people should start putting the variation next to the character considering one variation can be fucking brain dead and the other could be hard. Raiden is a good example of this considering Thunder God is a lot easier to use compared to Master of Storms, Liu Kang Flame Fist is easier than Dragon Fire, Erron Black Outlaw is easier than Marksman and so on.

If you think raiden, Liu Kang and erron are easy, then you are playing them at the lowest level possible
I can't agree more. It's more ridiculous because he put Cassie and kotal at the hardest list lol. I don't think a character is hard to learn when they have super good footsie tools. Like kotal jump in 1 and all his low pokes, and Cassie's every move in her move set are so good that you'll get away with murder even if you don't know how to use them properly.

infamy23

FireBeard
I think people should start putting the variation next to the character considering one variation can be fucking brain dead and the other could be hard. Raiden is a good example of this considering Thunder God is a lot easier to use compared to Master of Storms, Liu Kang Flame Fist is easier than Dragon Fire, Erron Black Outlaw is easier than Marksman and so on.
TG Raiden is not easy to use. I think that was made clear when Justin / Arturo and a million other Raiden players ended up dropping him because they couldn't do his LRC combos.

There is only 3 Raiden players in the world who use him competently. I've literally NEVER ran into another TG Raiden online who was close to being good with the character.

Spamming lightning strings is only gonna get you so far. Eventually you're gonna have to master his LRC combos/resets and his B2 OS and that is far from beginner friendly stuff.

TG Raiden is not easy to use. I think that was made clear when Justin / Arturo and a million other Raiden players ended up dropping him because they couldn't do his LRC combos.

There is only 3 Raiden players in the world who use him competently. I've literally NEVER ran into another TG Raiden online who was close to being good with the character.

Spamming lightning strings is only gonna get you so far. Eventually you're gonna have to master his LRC combos/resets and his B2 OS and that is far from beginner friendly stuff.
Dude we should play sometimes man. I'm a raiden player and I think I only had ONE online mirror match where we both were doing LRC combos back and forth and it was amazing. Good raiden players are hard to come by in my opinion. Sure, people pick him up and win games but most actually don't even try the high level stuff. After you nailed his LRC down, ever other characters' fireball cancels feel really easy.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I like that list, although as a Kenjutsu player I don't think Kenshi belongs there but I think you know that too. But would you not include Ronin Takeda and Hat Trick Kung Lao in there as well?
I honestly forget Takeda's on the roster. Couldn't tell you. Hat Trick is one of the more atypical characters in the game, probably the closest thing the game has to offer to a Bridget type character but it's not TOO taxing. I'd say MoS Raiden is definitely worse in terms of what it takes to make a setplay character work. It's up there though.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Bojutsu Kung Jin is the easiest.
2nd easiest is Shaolin Kung Jin.
3rd easiest is Ancestral Kung JIn.

Braindead players stand up to deflect and be accounted for.

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
Mileena is pretty easy to pick up, bar Ethereal. It takes some time to really get comfortable with. *Mileena main*

Kitana, at least Assassin, seems pretty easy to play. I was throwing out 30+% combos with relative ease after about 10 minutes in the lab.

Jax and Sonya seem more difficult. Likewise for Erron and Kotal. Ermac seems to have a degree of difficulty. Jason seems to be the easiest of the DLC to learn from what I've personally experienced. Predator and Tanya require some homework.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
You used Dragons Fire as your Liu Kang example for difficult to play, when really it's at a very similar level of difficulty to Flame Fist, instead of Dualist which is arguably the hardest character in the game to play properly?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
You used Dragons Fire as your Liu Kang example for difficult to play, when really it's at a very similar level of difficulty to Flame Fist, instead of Dualist which is arguably the hardest character in the game to play properly?
Lmao what sort of Dragon's fire players are you playing?

chrisisnice

I'm a lover, not a fighter
I can't agree more. It's more ridiculous because he put Cassie and kotal at the hardest list lol. I don't think a character is hard to learn when they have super good footsie tools. Like kotal jump in 1 and all his low pokes, and Cassie's every move in her move set are so good that you'll get away with murder even if you don't know how to use them properly.
It is ridiculous that you are a massive douche bag about it.

Firstly... note the initial post... " what characters do you feel have the hardest learning curve". I asked for opinions, not a definitive list.

My opinions are my opinions. I am not trying to play this game at the highest tournament level... I am not sure where you received that impression as I never suggested that. I never plan or expect to be as good as MIT / REO etc etc - that is not why I play.

An easy character to me is someone that you can pick up quite easy and learn their moves / normals / basic strategies etc which makes it easier, and therefore more likely for me to delve further in to the character in more depth. It is harder to devote time to a character who you have more difficulties figuring out and are not enjoying.

I had major blocks with Cassie and Kotal as their basic level play style was more difficult for me to pick up. This is the same with Zangief and Balrog in Street Fighter, yet I found Blanka, Sakura and Ryu easier to invest time in to.

To play at a level to have fun and win online, and be somewhat competitive in general, I found Louis and Raiden are fairly simple to pick up (I play Raiden). Raiden builds a ton of meter and is easily one of the easiest characters to get opponents in corner, which can lead to almost instant death due to his massive corner damage. This clicks with me. Therefore Raiden is worth me spending my time on as he is fairly easy to get the basics, and then delve deeper in to the character.

Cassie and Kotal (to me) were quite difficult to understand. Their normals are great, but I struggle getting a grip on their basic game plan and utilsing their specials effectively. This means that my time is best spent devoting time to a character I have more of an affinity with.

I do not think that is a particularly complex concept to understand...

I GOT HANDS

Lmao what sort of Dragon's fire players are you playing?
Myself, playing as Dragon's Fire.

Can you explain to me what makes it significantly harder than Flame Fist, or even Dualist since that was the main point of my statement?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Myself, playing as Dragon's Fire.

Can you explain to me what makes it significantly harder than Flame Fist, or even Dualist since that was the main point of my statement?
You call landing F44 FBRC F44 FBRC F44 Bicycle kicks, as well as getting frame perfect FBRCs easy?

I GOT HANDS

You call landing F44 FBRC F44 FBRC F44 Bicycle kicks, as well as getting frame perfect FBRCs easy?
Execution wise he's slightly harder than Flame Fist. I think that's not the point of this thread. Otherwise, all FRC characters would be the only answer.

Dualist is a lot harder. The other two are on a much similar level in comparison.

Heartwire

Awesomesauce
I had issues with I started with Cassie.
I ended up maining Ermac later on.
The reason I had issues with Cassie was cause I wouldn't for the life of me get the Run combo's down.
However with Ermac these days I have no issues doing his combo's which involve running.
So I might actually try and learn Cassie properly now that I can get my runs down with another character at least.
I'm liking Raiden too actually, I'm still labbing with him to get the mustle memory down, but he's hella fun when you get the RC's down, but the LRC's are so inconstant for me at the moment I'm not going to take him online yet with that.

Eitherway, I think the easiest character most likely is Bojutsu Kung Jin.
The hardest to learn, I'm going to take a wild guess and say Raiden with the LRC, and Cassie with some very tight run combo's.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Easiest is Scorpion.

Idk how anybody could say otherwise.

I don't think I've had problems really learning a character, honestly. But Swarm Queen D'Vorah requires some execution

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
In terms of the characters I've tried out:

Easy:
Kung Jin - Bojutsu
Kenshi - Balanced
Tanya - Pyromancer (bar perhaps f3 cancels)

Harder:
Kenshi - Kenjutsu
Jacqui - High Tech
Predator - HQT

I don't think any character in this game is truly difficult, just that certain characters require a bit more training mode time before you can use them at abasic level. The 3 chars I listed as easy you can pretty much go in, learn combos and start immediately because their game plan is pretty straight forward. The harder characters have some execution requirements or their gameplan is not obvious/requires more practice/is challenging to execute. Out of the 3 characters I listed as difficult, HT Jacqui seems the most difficult for the least reward.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Just going by the characters I've fooled around with...

Easiest:
Covert Ops Sonya
Grandmaster Sub Zero

Hardest:
Kung Lao (can't do 112124 for the life of me)
Hollywood Cassie (Getting use to run cancels when I was first starting out)

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
Easiest:

Of course top noob friendly character: Kung Jin Bojitsu

Scorpion: one vortex, simple mixup and setup

Sub Zero: grand master and cryomoncer.

Ermac

Hardest:

Cassie Cage: she needs very good execution.

Quan Chi: he needs good timings.