What's new

Easiest / Most Difficult Characters to Learn

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Easiest to learn? How I would judge this is probably the combos, and the characters game plan.

Well Inferno Scorpion used to be incredibly easy to learn at a basic level imo as he did so much damage learning his more advanced combos were not really necessary. Now, post-patch, I don't think he is really what I'd consider easy anymore. And his specials being highly large on start up and highly unsafe, as well means he has to play smart, and always keep the opponent guessing while putting his life on the line if he wants to get started.

Easiest for me would probably be Covert Ops Sonya Blade. I feel like anyone can pick her up, learn her basics, and be competent with her without a doubt. Her combos are short and sweet. And B1, and B3 pretty much make just about any combo string starter she performs a 50/50 guess, and going into military stance she has more mix up opportunities. While these options are unsafe, she can cancel this stance to usually become safe or end in a different special. Certainly an excellent pick for beginners.

Hardest? Tough to say combo wise it's probably D'vorah, Gameplan wise is probably Spectral Ermac.

KGA Prosaic

RM Prosaic
Tanya to me feels like one of the most technical characters in this game. Of course I'm only viewing this with DN variation. The timing on her bnbs varies from character to character. Against females her bnbs are easy to execute. Against smaller males its about the same. Taller freaks like ermac and kotal take time getting use tom big hit box characters have an entirely different bnb, then theirs predator. The smalles big hot box characters. Fuck doing optimal damage against him.

Lokheit

Noob
For me it's more about variations than characters (and as I'm trying to learn the variation that I find the cooler of each of my favs, it's a problem when the one I want is the harder to learn but I'm dealing with it).

Basically it comes to:

Easier to learn: Characters that can combo into a long stun or a very good launcher after a mixup.

Harder to learn: Characters that need run cancels to maximize combos (still can't get it with characters not named Johnny Cage and his super long windows of opportunity). For example I'm trying to become an expert on Marksman Erron Black even if I know that Outlaw, belonging to the "easier to learn" category would be faster to learn, but I really like that rifle so I'm commited to elarn Erron the hard way.

FrankenCow

Kano Ballin
Only characters I've spent spent a good amount of time with and playing matches with are Cybernetic Kano, Kenjutsu Kenshi, Slasher Jason, and Hellfire Scorpion.

Kano's got super easy combos. 1,1,2, laser, 1,1,2, ball does like 29% and there's absolutely no timing required. The only thing I have trouble getting consistently is hitting 1, 1, 2 after two reps of b3, 1, 2 in the corner. There are, however, much easier options that net only 1-2% less damage. It's really easy to pressure opponents if they don't know the matchup. If they do, however, Kano needs to work a lot harder to open you up. He needs to bait and punish to get damage. I consider him easy to learn with tools that are easy to understand and utilize effectively... minus upball and up laser.

Slasher Jason has just ever so slightly harder combos, but not by any means ddifficult. He gets what I think is 37% meterless off the low overhead string easily. Far as I know he doesn't have any tight links that are practical/viable. Slasher Jason is also easy to block, but at least he has a overhead to check with. Overall he's even easier to use than Kano because of his damage.

Hellfire Scorpion has the standard teleport and spear combos that deal good damage and are real easy. Linking after Flame Aura can be difficult, but he has fireball cancels to keep himself safe. This is where I find Scorpion difficult. I'm not great at hit confirming, and appropriately confirming into a fireball cancel or teleport with consistency is pretty hard for me. Scorpion is definitely harder on a technical level than Kano and Jason.

Kenjutsu Kenshi has the hardest BnB out of the the four. Linking a 1 after d,b,1 is so inconsistent for me. Sometimes I get it 20 times in a row, and then I'll drop it 20 times. I know I'm always pressing it too early. The height that you gotta hit the 1 is so low to the ground it seems. Kenjutsu has really great tools though and a vortex. Some of his execution is pretty high which makes him "difficult", but I feel he is easier to use and win as.

I also spent some time with Tanya and she definitely seemed the most execution heavy of the cast.

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
In all serious, there is really only one answer for the easiest character to play - Cryomancer Sub-Zero.

He gets 31% off just 4 different inputs, B2, F42Throw. Thats just 3 different buttons + 2 presses on the D-Pad. And basically every single connect is exactly the same, open with whatever, freeze and then end in the throw. One of the easiest characters in the game execution wise, and even gameplan wise, he doesn't have to worry about wake-ups because of his reset, he's hard to zone because of ex-slide and ex-Iceball, and just like Scorpion he has really generous hitboxes and active's on his normals, and he can pretty much just do whatever he likes, any connect or launcher strings very easily into generous damage.

This is quite simply, the easiest fucking character from MK9, Injustice, and MKX combined. And not by a small margin either, he's like TWICE as easy as the next thing up. Compared to him even the simpler characters are intricate, he makes Sonja's gameplay look like fucking Check's latest combo video.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
What's so easy about inferno Scorpion? He's unsafe on everything and it's his worst variation imo. I guess his combos are easy? IMO it's hard not to get raped with that character.

I guess I may be confusing easy to pick up with easy to win with.

I GOT HANDS

I meant d'vora etc
Your Grandmaster hate is on another level.

Now he's the easiest character in the game to play? Requires no thought? I know you personally hate playing against him, but that's just blatant bias.

You can argue that his combo's are easy to execute, but as far as gameplan and decision making and options, hes actually one of the deeper characters in the game, who really makes you work for each victory.

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
This is quite simply, the easiest fucking character from MK9, Injustice, and MKX combined. And not by a small margin either, he's like TWICE as easy as the next thing up. Compared to him even the simpler characters are intricate, he makes Sonja's gameplay look like fucking Check's latest combo video.
I'd still give this to Sonya, as her gameplan is far more sound than Cryomancer's, and has 50/50's galore which allows even the worst of players to open someone up. I really think ease of use in actual matches goes to her...but Cryomancer is still really easy. lol

Wigy

There it is...
Your Grandmaster hate is on another level.

Now he's the easiest character in the game to play? Requires no thought? I know you personally hate playing against him, but that's just blatant bias.

You can argue that his combo's are easy to execute, but as far as gameplan and decision making and options, hes actually one of the deeper characters in the game, who really makes you work for each victory.
I strongly disagree.

Even watching him at the highest level is painful. Never seen anything so flowchart.

But thats my opinion you don't have to agree or take offence

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

I'd still give this to Sonya, as her gameplan is far more sound than Cryomancer's, and has 50/50's galore which allows even the worst of players to open someone up. I really think ease of use in actual matches goes to her...but Cryomancer is still really easy. lol
Oh yeah, without a doubt it's easier to win with Sonya... But I think Cryo has the simplest execution ever

I strongly disagree.

Even watching him at the highest level is painful. Never seen anything so flowchart.

But thats my opinion you don't have to agree or take offence
I'm not offended I'm just saying, the Grandmaster hate is real with you. It's fine if that's your opinion, it just feels like that is the one and only opinion you have about anything at all on these forums. All I ever seeing you posting is negative shit about SZ, I personally have seen literally nothing else from you.

Alright, I just skimmed your last 30 posts to see if I was imagining it. LITERALLY 27 of them are about Sub-Zero, no exaggeration. C'mon son, what else do you call this other than hating? If Sub Zero is a flowchart then that flowchart has been scrunched up and jammed under your turntable needle cause you are a broken record my friend

Wigy

There it is...
Oh yeah, without a doubt it's easier to win with Sonya... But I think Cryo has the simplest execution ever

I'm not offended I'm just saying, the Grandmaster hate is real with you. It's fine if that's your opinion, it just feels like that is the one and only opinion you have about anything at all on these forums. All I ever seeing you posting is negative shit about SZ, I personally have seen literally nothing else from you.

Alright, I just skimmed your last 30 posts to see if I was imagining it. LITERALLY 27 of them are about Sub-Zero, no exaggeration. C'mon son, what else do you call this other than hating? If Sub Zero is a flowchart then that flowchart has been scrunched up and jammed under your turntable needle cause you are a broken record my friend
Dude that majorly cause the sub community sits and complains about sub in every topic ever lol.

Check yourself 99% of my comments on sub related stuff is telling your community to stop being babies

I rarely comment on anything of yours cause you don't do it.

My opinion on subs gamestyle is mine, so no issue there.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Easiest : Kung Jin Bojutsu - BnB combos are ridiculously easy in training mode to catch in .... 5 minutes practice ?
Hardest : Kung Lao Hat Trick .... demands very technical and timing dedication training to use at competitive potential

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
I agree. Cryo Sub is easy to execute, but isn't his B2 string is massively unsafe against anyone decent? You can block it on reaction and it has large recovery.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "easy." Easy to dial in combos? Sure. Easy to play at an intermediate level against someone of similar skill? I think Sonya is better for that.

I GOT HANDS

Fair enough fair enough, I did just skim, wasn't paying much attention to the context

Just saying tho, I did show you that video of Emperor REBELO playing completely asymmetrical to how you describe SZ to be, I'm guessing you didn't watch it, but you should. Up to you if you let it affect your perception on the character, I can't imagine that it wouldn't though, REBELO shows some pretty versatile and adaptive play and many different uses for the tools and many other mix-ups other than OH/Low and he isn't even displaying everything and he's always unpredictable and fresh just like Sub can be, should be, and has to be when played at high level. Just cause Brady prefers a super safe "hide behind Clone" style of play quite often like he's stuck in MK9 doesn't mean shit, TB hasn't done shit all with MKX's Sub and has now dropped him because the playstyle he uses for Sub wasn't getting him results.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Naginata Tanya isn't hard to use either fellas. You just have to remember what does what with her, but execution is pretty easy.

She's kind of like Lei Wulong or Eddy Gordo from the Tekken series. You just have to remember what does what, but its not hard to do.

Lots of passive aggressive hater posts

All the characters are easy. Theres slightly less easy stuff like using a trap variation or a run cancel variation, but let's not act like theres a big difference in execution between high and low tier characters

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Easiest for me:
Mileena (all variations but ethreal)
Scorpion (inferno)
Sub Zero (grandmaster)
Goro (any var)#super armor punch walk
Kung Jin (bojutsu)
Raiden (Thunder God)
Liu Kang (FF)

Hardest for me:
Quan Chi
Sonya (Demolition setups) and reload setups.
Kung Lao (minor learning curve) (hat trick)
Johnny Cage (he is kinda balls)
Ermac (Spectral) his timings are hard to me for some reason. i learned him and it messed with all my other mains.
Kotal Kahn (sun god)
Jacqui Briggs (high Tech)
Shinnok (imposter) learning every other character in order to pull of his combos.
Ferra/Torr (try to make that viable as kung lao.
Reptile (his nimble combos.. gravity bomb into full out run past it change to nimblemode pull combo off. then hit them with gravity you threw before nimble mode and continue on with combo.)

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Easiest-Kung Lao(temp and buzzsaw), Scorpion(nini and inferno), Kano(cut and cyber), Kung Jin(bo), Shinnok(Boneshaper), Takeda(shirai), Tanya(naginata)

Difficult-Cassie(any), Sonya(any), KK, Ermac(any one), Sub-Zero(anyone), Kenshi(Ronin), Raiden(MOS and Displacer), Ferra/Torr(in general) Goro(in general)

ExoticAbuse

★Two Hands★
Out of all the characters I use(d) here's my list from hardest to easiest:

:dHardest:d
Johnny Cage - A-List
Kitana - Mournful
Erron Black - Marksman
Mileena - Ethereal
Reptile - Nimble
Jacqui - Shotgun
Kenshi - Kenjutsu
Mileena - Piercing
Reptile - Deceptive & Noxious
Kenshi - Possessed
Mileena - Ravenous
Kenshi - Balanced
:uEasiest:u

Oh Yeah... and for me

Hardest

1 Cassie
2 Kotal Kahn
3 D' Vorah
4 Tanya (only because I am learning now :p )

Easiest

1 Raiden
2 Liu Kang
3 Kano
4 Erron Black
5 Kitana (though I'm used to playing her every game)
Lol that depends on how you define learning . If you think raiden Liu kang and error black are easy, please bring me their fireball cancel combos and set ups.