What's new

Easiest / Most Difficult Characters to Learn

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Easiest - Kung Jin ? Yeah - try to play Ancestral on a High lvl and be succesfull.
Stop Bullshiting people.
He's just so easy to pick up and play. I've never practiced with him and I'm consistently in the mid to upper thirties regardless of the variation. I refuse to play him though. I've never hated on a fighting game character more than on him. He's just so loaded with tools and just takes no execution skill.

kaseyk

Noob
Liu kang is not even close to easy to pick up lol
fbf input is maybe the worst fg input of all time lol (more so when the other specials are bf inputs )
fbrc , iafb and a ton of character body size specific stuff .
then dualist is just full of stage specific corner game and run cancels .

FF was really easy for a few days there though lol but that got taken away asap

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
scorpion has like 4 useful strings and is definitely designed to be easy its not even a question lol
kung jin is probably second easiest or covert sonya
kenjutsu is harder, ermac is hardest overall because 2 of his variations are useless and MoS is good but he's still ermac

D4G

Win At All Cost
Easiest: I would recommend these characters to someone new to the game
==============================
Sonya Blade (covert ops)
Scorpion
Sub Zero (Crymancer)
Kung Jin (Bojutsu)
Mileena

Hardest: I would only recommend these characters to those with high execution and Fundamentals
===============================
Kung Lao
Erron Black (Marksman)
Kotal Khan (Sun/Blood God)
Tanya**
Jax
Quan Chi
D'Vorah
Liu Kang
Cassie Cage

Last edited:
Easiest for me has to be CO Sonya, Venomous D'vorah, and Boneshaper Shinnok.

Hardest is gonna have to be Imposter Shinnok, And Swarm Queen D'vorah

Kits a is my main she was only slightly hard cuz of f43 online

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
This game has zero hard to use characters. Very straight forward game plans across the board. It's less about "hard to use" and more about "hard to win with." Kenjutsu Kenshi and a couple of others have some very out of place execution requirements but honestly a grade-schooler could figure out most of the roster.

Trap-based characters can be hard to use effectively if you have trouble executing setups. Sort of universal to the genre though.
Alright, this just seems like the regular cocky "all characters are ez this whole game is ez" nonsenese. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain it tho, name a few hard to use character froms any fighting games?

Bombardier777

I'll bleed you, real quick.
Kung lao is definetly the hardest to master... Easiest character gots to be kung jin bojutsu. Whenever I play kung jins online its a free win for me lol. Inferno scorpion is also easy.

ConquaY

I play a bug lady, Bruce Lee and a cowboy.
Easiest:
Flame Fist.
Covert ops.
Cryomancer.
Bojustu.
Ravenous.

Hardest:
A-List. (Highest execution I have seen and stamina management is critical.)
Hollywood/Brawler. (run cancels for the first 3 weeks were hard; mid screen no stamina = no damage; F34 nerf had to relearn bnbs.)
Marksman. (Gun cancels into 21122 combos.)
Swarm Queen. (Easier than gun cancels in my opinion but way harder to combo. Maybe I am just wierd.)

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Cybernetic Kano is probably the easiest at a basic level.

War god is fairly easy too, especially if you have a street fighter mindset because you can just plop right in.

I don't personally find any RC character that hard especially if you have any previous FG experience. However if the concept of links is new to you I guess they can be pretty rough.

Schuyler

Noob
Cassie is a horrible starting character. I made sure I got down the running mechanic before I really tried with her. And the running is new to lots of players. D'vorahs pretty hard in my opinion so is cassie ad kung lao.

Titans1373

Pew pew pew quitality
After picking up the game late I can say all of you are wrong on the easiest character. Hands down the easiest character is Jason slasher lol. Followed by Kung Jin bojustsu. Hardest I'm not sure on but Cassie, Dvorah, and Lao

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
Easy characters that require very little thought to use.
  • Hellfire/Inferno Scorpion
  • Bojutsu Kung Jin
  • Quan Chi
  • Master of Souls Ermac

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Easiest - Kitana(Royal Storm)

Hardest - D'Vorah(Swarm Queen)

.. Kitana is my favorite MK Female, but D'Vorah fits my playstyle better.

Zaccel

Noob
This is based more or less on ease of execution, ease of gameplan, and learning curve, not whether it's the most effective in matches.

Easy
Reptile - I'm biased, but his normals felt intuitive and he (ideally) has something for most situations.
Sub-Zero - Probably not Grandmaster, though. Unbreakable in particular is very approachable for a beginner.
Kano - Kano's slightly tougher, but his stable of strings is easy to get to grips with and he's fundamentally solid. Good dashes, good normals, good variety of specials, etc. Commando is really simple, though his ease of execution is perhaps hot/cold.
Ferra/Torr - Sometimes strenuous gameplan, but very simple execution and great damage. Meter management is a non-issue.
Kenshi - Balanced, specifically. Zoning can be really easy or really hard depending on your playstyle, which is important to consider.
Takeda - Playing too simple will get you murdered with him, but he's really easy to figure out and fights at a 'secure' range for beginners.

Hard
Johnny Cage - Dash cancels, run cancels, etc. Projectiles are weird and hard to apply when starting out. Gameplan is a bit more nuanced than it appears, and really easy to get blown up without a good understanding of it.
Jax - Not stupid hard, but definitely not forgiving or rewarding to players with low execution.
Quan Chi - Playing this character well requires learning good fundamentals--making a mistake with this character's execution or neutral or whatever is very unforgiving, and getting knocked down once (even in Warlock) can spell disaster. Worth the effort, though.
Kitana - Biased because I like Kitana but suck ass with her. High potential for damage off of practically anything, but execution staples like instant-airs, run cancels, etc. are crucial. I feel like I have to really pay close attention to a lot of variables when playing her, but it's really because she gets to.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Alright, this just seems like the regular cocky "all characters are ez this whole game is ez" nonsenese. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain it tho, name a few hard to use character froms any fighting games?
Lets see, from Guilty Gear: Eddie, Testament, Venom, (pre Xrd) I-No and Bridget, though given the game's engine and mechanics you could probably say "EVERYONE BUT KY/SOL" and get away with it. Also, no way in fuck would I forget A.B.A. Paying attention to bloodpacks, knockdown meter, self-inflicted damage and having stupid execution, that bitch takes two and a half characters worth of attention and meter micromanagement just to not embarrass yourself.

UNiB - Vatista (not particularly hard, per se, but very awkward), Sion in this game isn't easy either. Byakuya's kind of a bitch too. Undoubtedly Carmine...

I consider like 50%+ of the SF roster to be rather unwieldy but I think that might be more or less because I'm naturally disinclined towards the game. Similar note, absolutely fucking every character in every KoF ever.

I'm trying not to base this entirely on execution and also take into consideration what it takes to actually get the ball rolling with the gameplan. E.g., I don't consider GG's Testament a particularly high execution character but it's entirely possible to just never get your game going. Bridget and Eddie had a similar deal + rage inducing execution. Byakuya in UNiB is of a similar ilk to this. If you don't know just what to do and when to do it, you'll get your shit pushed in short order.

Also wouldn't describe Hakumen or Arakune or Valkenhayn or Mu-12 in BlazBlue to be user-friendly. Mu-12 might be easier on the whole to pick up at a basic level but she needs to be controlled by someone with lots of match-up knowledge to really have any sort of shot, plus all dem character specific combos.

The just-frame oriented style of Yoshimitsu play in SC isn't easy to play either, Setsuka was kinda bullshit with her 8-just-frame-combo nonsense. OH, Lieselotte in Arcana Heart. Shit, Maori in that same game too. Actually, as far as Arcana Heart goes as a whole, I wouldn't fault anyone who finds learning the more obtuse characters in that game to be a generally frustrating as fuck experience.

Melty Blood, I'm not as well versed in, but I remember Arcueid handing my ass back to me in training mode often.

I'll admit to having never even once played Tekken, DoA or Virtua Fighter so I won't speak to that.

Sorry if I don't find the roster for a game targeting an audience of middle school boys to be particularly challenging by and large. Hell I even said in my original post that there were a handful of characters that had actual execution requirements. But no, I'm not going to sit around and mollycoddle anyone who's having trouble playing SonicFox's Wet Dream: The Game and pretend there's a real challenge to be had controlling all but that aforementioned handful of characters. That's why I specified that this game has more characters that are "hard to win with" than "hard to use."

And no, I'm not even a masturbatory executional elitist. There's no cockiness when I say "the game is easy and 85% of the roster is easy." All that time I spent learning bullshit links and FRCs in Guilty Gear, I want it goddamn BACK. If I controlled the genre, absolutely any mouthbreather would be able to make an effective combo happen in any game if they bothered to memorize the input sequence. We're not all jerking off in arcades anymore trying to see whose is bigger. People with actual jobs are gaming now so fighters should handle very easily over all. I like the SoulCalibur model of easy street execution with a few just-frame oriented characters for the people who mistakenly believe anyone gives a shit that they can hit those consistently with all the challenge coming from actively outthinking your opponent, as opposed to just coinflipping them until one of you dies. And this is where the stream of consciousness is starting so the end of this.

My list for "hard to use" would probably look something like Naginata Tanya, the yin-yang Liu Kang, Swarm Queen D'Vorah, Kenjutsu Kenshi (though this is a real fuckin' stretch the more I think about it) and... that's kinda it. I still can't decide if MoS Raiden should go under "hard to use" or "hard to win with."

Last edited:

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I like that list, although as a Kenjutsu player I don't think Kenshi belongs there but I think you know that too. But would you not include Ronin Takeda and Hat Trick Kung Lao in there as well?