What's new

Doom 4

yzzerdd

levitate levitate levitate levitate
I've been using the burst rifle, super shotty, teleporter combo. Thinking I should switch to the combat shotty cause the burst rifle is good but doesn't do crazy damage unless you hit em scoped a couple times. Vortex or Static rifle would be better with the super shotty like you said, I just have an affinity for semi auto rifles.

Found a way to use player points as currency in SnapMap such that players can "buy" demons to fight for them and attack the other team.

Also got a setup where a KOTH situation takes place. And depending on how long the team holds the KOTH in a given round, they get a certain number of demons on the next KOTH hill move.

SnapMap is awesome.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
I like snap map but sucks we don't have access to creating a lot of cool maps like Hell, unless I missed something.

Has anyone figured out how to make a working elevator?

Element_

The First Element
I'm down for multiplayer. Shaolin and I played the other day, good stuff. Id love to have a big group going so we can dominate everyone. Post your psn and I'll send a FR.

Awesome. Yeah it would be cool to get a group together and own that shit. My account name is Element-27_ . if i don't accept for a couple of days you shan't worry, i'm super busy recently and i'll accept when i'm next on. Thanks

TeaBag

Jack Daniel's Supporter
I'm really enjoying the hell out of this game but dont know anyone else who plays on PS4. Id like to have a steady team of players to play with though so if anyone wants to add me psn is PreludeToAgony

Element_

The First Element
I'm really enjoying the hell out of this game but dont know anyone else who plays on PS4. Id like to have a steady team of players to play with though so if anyone wants to add me psn is PreludeToAgony
I'll add you when i next play. I can see a decent team coming together from this thread !

Landonio

n00b
I don't understand why an arena shooter has loadouts/classes. Big turn off. I thought it was supposed to be like Unreal/Quake. Even starts, and all about skill and reaction time and not loadouts and randomness. Another classic shooter ruined by CoD's affect on modern gaming. *smh*

It looks better than Overhyped, I though. I'd rather play a "competitive" shooter polluted by CoD than one polluted by fucking MOBAs and League of Casual Garbage, I mean Legends.

Last edited:

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I don't understand why an arena shooter has loadouts/classes. Big turn off. I thought it was supposed to be like Unreal/Quake. Even starts, and all about skill and reaction time and not loadouts and randomness. Another classic shooter ruined by CoD's affect on modern gaming. *smh*

It looks better than Overhyped, I though. I'd rather play a "competitive" shooter polluted by CoD than one polluted by fucking MOBAs and League of Casual Garbage, I mean Legends.
I feel that loadouts are there because you now have other things to fight over than just standard weapons. Demons, powerups, and power weapons.

E

Eldriken

I feel that loadouts are there because you now have other things to fight over than just standard weapons. Demons, powerups, and power weapons.
This. I'm sure if none of the aforementioned was present, it would be like a standard arena shooter with all the weapons scattered about the level.

virtiqaL

Noob
Some criticisms I have:

The game not having a traditional FFA Deathmatch (both with and without demon runes) or CTF mode in the base multiplayer mode is a huge omission for an arena shooter, IMO. Also the lack of dedicated servers at least on the PC platform bothers me, along with there being no sort of competitive ranked mode. I really hope id has some sort of update (preferably free) planned to add those two match types. Arena shooters in general struggle to maintain an active playerbase and these missing match types aren't going to help matters, people are going to get bored sooner than they realize.

Snapmap being limited to 4 players is also lame, especially since it's the only way to play either DM or CTF in any form.

Loadouts I honestly think only exist because the game is multiplatform and its easier for pad players on console to swap between two weapons instead of several.

I'm still playing through single player which is a blast and I'm sure I will have positive opinions on it overall when I'm done, there appears to be plenty of replay value on that end.

I've heard rumors that there is a Quake sequel/reboot on the way (which I'd love to see), and if true, I could forgive Doom for being weak on the multiplayer assuming that Quake ends up being the game that makes up for it by being the more competitive and fleshed out arena shooter.

Last edited:

InFlames

dead
The lack of ffa and ctf was really suprising

I would also like if they could somehow add a private match option but that seems unlikely since it wasn't already added

Loadouts I honestly think only exist because the game is multiplatform and its easier for pad players on console to swap between two weapons instead of several.
Weapon wheel essentially let's you change to any weapon by quickly flicking the right analogue. I'm playing nightmare difficulty in SP and I can change to any weapon in a heartbeat on pad now.

Also the weapon wheel in single player doesn't override the quick switch functionality. So in no way does it become harder to switch between weapons by adding a weapon wheel.

virtiqaL

Noob
Weapon wheel essentially let's you change to any weapon by quickly flicking the right analogue. I'm playing nightmare difficulty in SP and I can change to any weapon in a heartbeat on pad now.

Also the weapon wheel in single player doesn't override the quick switch functionality. So in no way does it become harder to switch between weapons by adding a weapon wheel.
I was speaking specifically about multiplayer. The weapon wheel in SP slows the game down.
I guess they could've went the weapon wheel route in MP if they really wanted too, as a PC gamer though, I couldn't imagine using something like that in a fast paced arena shooter.

Either way, I'm fine with there being loadouts. I'm more concerned with the omission of some traditional modes you'd expect to see in this type of game.

Last edited:
I was speaking specifically about multiplayer. The weapon wheel in SP slows the game down.
I guess they could've went the weapon wheel route in MP if they really wanted too, as a PC gamer though, I couldn't imagine using something like that in a fast paced arena shooter.
It only slows the game down after a delay. And there's no reason they can't simply remove the slowdown that happens after the delay.

Also, you don't need to slowly open the weapon wheel, then methodically close it. You can instantly switch to any weapon.

You can basically "flick switch" by very briefly pressing the bumper, and quickly flicking the analogue in the appropriate direction. The developers actually talked about this method in a gameplay stream.

When you switch weapons this way there's no slowdown since that only starts around a half second of having the wheel open, so it's not even a adjustment to go through doing this in SP and then MP with removed slowdown.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Game is all around good/fun to me. Just beat SP last night. It's a nice change of pace to play a hectic/reactionary shooter as opposed to the ones I've gotten used to.

Landonio

n00b
Erm, how exactly are you "fighting over" classes? You choose them before the match begins, and in an arena/competitive shooter, engagements and the better man shouldn't be decided by a pre-match decision. It should be decided by your raw skill.

This. I'm sure if none of the aforementioned was present, it would be like a standard arena shooter with all the weapons scattered about the level.
...and that's a bad thing how?

Now I must mention before I go into any further discussion that I have not played the game, primarily because I heard a lot of bad things from the people that played the beta, on top of it just not being what I was hoping for and expecting. Maybe if I tried it I'd have fun, but those types of games ("hybrid" shooters) generally are not my cup of tea, and I wouldn't see myself playing something like that for any long term amount of time.

I mainly just disagree strongly with that type of developer philosophy (a form of "selling out") and refuse to support companies that rip mechanics and aspects from other games and try to shoehorn them into their game and attempt to design their product around such shoehorned aspects, and not around what originally worked for them in the first place and what is proven to work. It's what killed the Halo franchise and why I absolutely despise 343 as company. They care much more about lining their pockets and appealing to young kids/the CoD crowd instead of making the best quality and most competitive game possible, and they don't care how many hardcore fans, that made the Halo name what it is today, they leave in the dust.

What's ironic and kinda funny though is that Call of Duty, that game that originally started this "copy and paste what's popular" and "the more casual the better" craze within the gaming industry, is suffering the same fate. The whole thing has come full circle, and people are finally backlashing against the whole futuristic setting, abilities, and gameplay aspects that were ripped straight from games like Titanfall, Halo, Crysis, etc (not to mention the fucking supply drop garbage). Shit that doesn't belong in Call of Duty, an ARCADE shooter that has always been based in a REALISTIC setting. There's a reason the Infinite Warfare trailer is the SECOND MOST disliked video in the HISTORY of YouTube. If only people would take that kind of stand against modern Halo and 343's bullshit. One can only dream. MCC for life (and CoD4 Remastered come November).

Also, much respect to Dice for not giving a FUH and going back to WW1 for the next Battlefield, which is fucking awesome. They even did it against EA's original wishes, and convinced EA to let them see through their vision. And the game looks amazing because of it. If only we could get Treyarch to do someting like that so we could get World at War 2. *sigh*

But anyway, maybe I'm just too old school for this generation. *another sigh* /end rant.

Last edited: