What's new

Do you think we're being impacted by the aftermath of the 'Crunch' issue?

Do you think we're being impacted by the aftermath of the 'Crunch' issue?

• Yes

Votes: 65 80.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
No. We're mostly being impacted by their terrible marketing and community outreach.

It's gotten to the point where Nintendo is just announcing the DLC for them. (I assume Nintendo gets a cut of the DLC sales, and they want to actually ADVERTISE the product).

I don't think a longer interval between releases is that impactful, if NRS would just COMMUNICATE.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I voted no.

Companies don't give 2 flying fucks about their employees. They only care about one thing. They'll apologize publicly, maybe fire a guy or two, and then just try harder to keep it a secret/under wraps for next time.
It's the kinda thing that makes me miss Satoru Iwata. I haven't even bought anything Nintendo-related for years but I still respected the man for who he was and what he stood for since the man was willing to cut his own salary in order to make sure that none of the lower-level people lost their jobs and so that none of those that didn't lose their jobs would worry about the next time that job cuts would happen. That's how you lead.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
My neighbor had a word processor back in like ‘94 and I paid him to let me type every character move and fatality in 5pt font into a small quarter of the page that I could shove between the glass and frame of the MKII arcade box while I played. Video games were so much better when we had to figure our own shit out. I would bring those mini golf pencils to fill in the moves I hadn’t discovered yet. I even switched to drinking sprite at the arcade because it was so covered in cola stains towards my latter visits.
Damn I miss arcades.
Humanity will never capture that experience ever again.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
if they hadn't rushed their game we wouldn't need to chill out or be patient. I would've gladly waited one more year for mk11
Are you sure about that? Maybe you'd be okay with that, but people were raging about this kinda stuff even pre-launch. Like how NRS would sometimes take 1 or 2 weeks more than usual to announce something. Remember when they had the mobile game Kast and everyone got pissed off when it had nothing new about MK11?
Shit, people were mad before MK11 was even announced. Fake leaks left and right trying to predict when it was even going to be announced, dudes who were absolutely on edge trying to get away from Injustice 2 and into MK again.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Are you sure about that? Maybe you'd be okay with that, but people were raging about this kinda stuff even pre-launch. Like how NRS would sometimes take 1 or 2 weeks more than usual to announce something. Remember when they had the mobile game Kast and everyone got pissed off when it had nothing new about MK11?
Shit, people were mad before MK11 was even announced. Fake leaks left and right trying to predict when it was even going to be announced, dudes who were absolutely on edge trying to get away from Injustice 2 and into MK again.
It’s because it was set up so perfectly though. Remember how mkx was such a bummer when it had months of nothing at a time? Then they come out in December saying the game will be out in 4 months. I said holy fucking shit that’s awesome. I even joined this website lol. My expectations were set high because I was thinking wow 4 straight months of nothing but mk news. Just over the top 4 month marketing like it should be. My thought was NRS has their fucking shit together this time. I think a lot of people felt “let down” this way and it’s mostly our own fault but you can blame them setting the bar that and not being able to jump it.

Yes, and I think it's great that they're trying to change that culture. I'm a software dev and have been on teams with a few different cultures. Crunch-type culture is really pernicious. It's a slippery slope where people work a little more and a little more, "only until we're on the other side of this", and next thing you know, people are doing 80 hour weeks for most of the year.

I'm glad it's taking longer to get this stuff released.

I voted no because we're not being impacted, 11 is being handled differently than X or I2 PERIOD. There's 26 characters to play and tons to do. Go learn a new character if you're impatient, grind some matchups you suck at, Season of Time just hit get to grinding. You can wait...I believe in you. You just have to believe in you...k?

No.
I think that even if NRS did lower the workload on their current employees, they could hire more people to help with the production. MK11 sold well enough for them to have the money for it.
The two month release schedule isn't bad, what's bad is lack of communicaton. And even that is not abysmal, as we know the next few characters to be released and Boon keeps sending screens every week. It's not like there are no news until week before the dlc is out and we are being deliberately kept in the dark LOOKING AT YOU HERE SOUL CALIBUR 6.
I think we just got too accustomed to fast pace of kontent from MKX and IJ2 and now that it's drying up a little it feels exaggerated.

But oh god, we need an offline patch BAD. For all that promised "more kombat kasts" and support there sure is an uncomfortable silence.

I'm absolutely sure about that. I'm of firm belief that day 1 mk11 was not a $60 game. this would have nothing to do with announcements or their mobile game bullshit. it would be them literally holding back the release of the game so we can get a better refined and finished product and so this crunch stuff wouldn't have happened or be nearly as severe

if they hadn't rushed their game we wouldn't need to chill out or be patient. I would've gladly waited one more year for mk11
You say that, but the countless posts on this forum say otherwise.

Before MK11 was announced people got the shits because it wasn't announced at every major event.
After it was announced people got the shits because it didn't have what they wanted/expected
KP wasn't announced 5secs after release and people got the shits
KP characters were announced and people got the shits
Alleged dates are leaked for KP and people got the shits

Say what you want, but overall the community is very much on the "I can't wait and i want it yesterday" bandwagon.

. I'm of firm belief that day 1 mk11 was not a $60 game. this would have nothing to do with announcements or their mobile game bullshit.
And what does the game today have that makes it a $60 game over day1. In terms of content it's 100% exactly the same. The only difference is in the experience in some of the incidental side things like the Krypt/ToT etc, and 1 or 2 minor patches.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
What the fuck does street fighter have anything to do with MK11? Nothing.

Go be stupid somewhere else
It has to do with the fact that when Street Fighter V came out, it was a pretty bare-bones fighting game. There was no story mode, the servers were broken, the game had bugs, there were issus with input latency, and there was a lack of characters (16 at launch, 19 came afterward). I pre-ordered the game, I remember the issues it had at launch.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
You say that, but the countless posts on this forum say otherwise.

Before MK11 was announced people got the shits because it wasn't announced at every major event.
After it was announced people got the shits because it didn't have what they wanted/expected
KP wasn't announced 5secs after release and people got the shits
KP characters were announced and people got the shits
Alleged dates are leaked for KP and people got the shits

Say what you want, but overall the community is very much on the "I can't wait and i want it yesterday" bandwagon.
Most people were/are annoyed because of how weird and inconsistent their marketing has been. Not to mention there is no road map for the KP. We paid for it, but we don't know what or when we're getting all that stuff and we're supposed to just be happy with that?

It's always a guessing game with them and even like a week AFTER the game released, we only knew about the KL because of leaks. They've been really poor at communicating with us and it seems to me like they release stuff like 90% darkness 10% character pictures and random intros because they want to appease the fanbase or just throw crumbs at us, but what would make people truly happy is this:

Wait until you KNOW a release date and then TEASE the character or kombat pack. It's marketing 101, and they failed at this most basic aspect of it.

They've been looking really bad since this game came out and it's hard to defend them at this point. Yes, the game plays good, but it still has glaring issues that have yet to be acknowledged.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
My guess is that they fired people who they "thought" caused the crunch article

then the smarter people who saw this just left.

All speculation of course. This happened with MK9 as well. Just complete lack of communication while Boon tweets randomly about some DLC and then retweets every article about how well the MK 11 launch went financially.